HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Dean Lombardi Signals

Old
07-03-2006, 06:48 PM
riseandfall9

vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi Signals

Why do you think Lombardi is sending so many mixed signals? Is he rebuilding? Is he not?

He trades Demitra for young guys, says that hes going to rebuild.

Then he gives offers to Elias, Chara and trys to trade for Pronger and Luongo?

What do you guys think?

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
GRuiz98

Send a message via AIM to GRuiz98
In my opinion he's in the process of molding this team how he likes it. We're a bit on the rebuilding side, but I think he's trying to go for "his type" of players. I just htink it's a matter of him not seeing demitra as his type of player thus he figured he could flip him for a young top prospect, a first, and then possibly sign a top notch free agent to replace demitra that more suited his style. Had he succeeded in getting elias, not only would he have upgraded the front line forwards, but he would've replenished the farm that DT kinda screwed up in the parish/sopel trade.

GRuiz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I don't think this is a re-build I think it's a house cleaning like the guy above me said. The Kings do have some pieces already in place so gettting a top draft pick isn't a sure thing. Carolina only had Staal and Ward as 1st rounders they developed and won the Cup with a solid mix of vets. Again, it's not about stockpiling #1 picks, it's about the right mix of talent whether that be UFA's, trades or draft picks.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
We're not rebuilding, we already have a great group of young players on the team and in the system.

Fangio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Osprey

He's not sending mixed signals. It's just that so many fans have been misinterpreting the signals and jumping to conclusions. As I said repeatedly, the Demitra trade was an isolated incident and not proof of rebuilding, but some of you wailed "full rebuild!" and "there goes any hope of spending during free agency," only to see Dean make serious $6M+ offers to Chara, Elias and Blake, in addition to signing two other veterans.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:03 PM
kingsfan25

Good...it's nice to see a few of these anti-doomsday posts in a row...maybe people will start listening to them.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:11 PM
chris39bong

Just becuase a team is "rebuilding" doesn't mean that their intentions are to suck for a couple years and get a few high draft picks to help in this process. Teams need to be competitive. Anything less from management or the players will likely result in them losing their job and their respect from around the league. The ST and AM signings are two examples of players that'll help keep the Kings competitive and at the same time help in the rebuilding process as they mentor to the younger players who will eventually become the core of the franchise. Any signing of a UFA such as Chara or Elias can would also help the team rebuild despite also making the team playoff caliber. It's not wise to let players in their early 20's endure years of losing on a bad team and then all of a sudden expeting them to win once they reach a certain again. A team with a Chara or Elias will experience its ups and downs, challenge for the playoffs, and quite possibly win a round or two. The knowledge gained from experiences just like this more often than not helps young players learn what it takes to win, instead of just trying to mold a team of losers into winners at the flip of a switch.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:12 PM
riseandfall9

Not really kf25, just confused on whats going on. I look at the free agent list and dont see much quality on it. Then I see rumors of Frolov for Garbage, and it makes me wonder what this guys trying to do. I dont live for the Kings, so weather were bad or good it doesnt really matter to me, even though its nice to win

Old
07-03-2006, 08:29 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

hes not rebuilding, hes doing what he told the board, patching up the holes on the fly.

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:41 PM
shaayar78

Send a message via AIM to shaayar78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Good...it's nice to see a few of these anti-doomsday posts in a row...maybe people will start listening to them.
FINALLY....reading posts that MAKE SENSE in a row!! Thank you KINGSFAN and OSPREY, yet again!

shaayar78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:44 PM
shaayar78

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Not really kf25, just confused on whats going on. I look at the free agent list and dont see much quality on it. Then I see rumors of Frolov for Garbage, and it makes me wonder what this guys trying to do. I dont live for the Kings, so weather were bad or good it doesnt really matter to me, even though its nice to win
If you do NOT live by the Kings and no big deal...then do NOT look at rumors and worry or "wonder" about them!

Old
07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
I totally agree with the "he's not rebuilding" comments above. It's a re-tooling for sure. It's exactly what he said he'd do. We are replacing players of questionable dedication with tougher, "Selke-ier" bodies. And this isn't finished.

I can be as reactionary as the next guy , but the "OMG - why is DL rebuilding one day and actually signing veterans the next!?!?" posts are weird. Trading a vet doesn't autoimatically mean we're in "rebuild mode".

This is a process. A team isn't built in a GM's image in 24 hours... DL said on draft day that this Kings team was a playoff-level performer for most of the year and then something went very wrong - and that it was his job was to find it. I think he has. I liked Demitra, but he was identified as a guy one could not build a team around - so he was dealt for greater value. There were also rumblings that much of the room questioned his ability to play though pain and injury after the Olympics. I'm just saying...

Needs on the 3rd line - addressed.
Big need for grit and character - addressed
Big needs on D - shot for the stars (missed) and still had a plan in place to address
Needs on first line - ok, not done yet. Still needs work, but it's barely JULY!

The predictions of the Kings demise, last place finish and Top 5 overall pick next year are, imo, violently wrong. Now let the "so that must mean you think we're gonna win the Stanley Cup" posters go nuts. You know who you are and you always do.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaayar78 View Post
If you do NOT live by the Kings and no big deal...then do NOT look at rumors and worry or "wonder" about them!
????? What are you talking about.

Old
07-03-2006, 09:50 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrickshockey2 View Post
Just becuase a team is "rebuilding" doesn't mean that their intentions are to suck for a couple years and get a few high draft picks to help in this process. Teams need to be competitive. Anything less from management or the players will likely result in them losing their job and their respect from around the league. The ST and AM signings are two examples of players that'll help keep the Kings competitive and at the same time help in the rebuilding process as they mentor to the younger players who will eventually become the core of the franchise. Any signing of a UFA such as Chara or Elias can would also help the team rebuild despite also making the team playoff caliber. It's not wise to let players in their early 20's endure years of losing on a bad team and then all of a sudden expeting them to win once they reach a certain again. A team with a Chara or Elias will experience its ups and downs, challenge for the playoffs, and quite possibly win a round or two. The knowledge gained from experiences just like this more often than not helps young players learn what it takes to win, instead of just trying to mold a team of losers into winners at the flip of a switch.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:17 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaayar78 View Post
ya, totally lost me on that one buddy....

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:06 AM
shaayar78

Quote:
????? What are you talking about.
reread your original post....this is what you said "makes me wonder what this guys trying to do. I dont live for the Kings, so weather were bad or good it doesnt really matter to me"......so I was responding to that.....BUT no worries, did NOT mean it in a negative way, just saying....

right now I think we all need to be patient and give DL at least till Mid August to see what he does with team. NOT jump on his case when he trades a veteran and then when he signs one!

Old
07-04-2006, 05:06 AM
GRuiz98

Quote:
I dont live for the Kings, so weather were bad or good it doesnt really matter to me
Sometimes i wish i could go back to the days where the kings losing didn't affect me much (pre 1988 when i was 6 years old).......however, sometimes when the kings lose, it's like someone dropkicked me in the damn nuts. sometimes it ruins my day/week seeing them lose =/ i guess that'll make it worth it once errrr if they ever win the cup *sigh*

Old
07-04-2006, 05:17 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
DL is not delusional. He has to know that this is not a playoff team. And, if you believe he thinks it is, then you really have a problem.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:56 AM
jfont

Awards:
As I said after the demitra trade, we have to wait and see what DL will do with the free agent signing period. it wasn't necessarily a rebuilding mode...it was more of what he wanted the team to shape up for next season...and that is lunchpale type unit that has a defense first mentality.

07-04-2006, 10:21 AM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRuiz98 View Post
Sometimes i wish i could go back to the days where the kings losing didn't affect me much (pre 1988 when i was 6 years old).......however, sometimes when the kings lose, it's like someone dropkicked me in the damn nuts. sometimes it ruins my day/week seeing them lose =/ i guess that'll make it worth it once errrr if they ever win the cup *sigh*
I Dont think you could have hit the nail on the head any better dude....I always say..lol, I cant imagine how football fans feel when there team looses and they gotta wait a whole week for them to play again. LOL

Old
07-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Game Misconduct

I can't figure out what he's trying to do. Totally agree with the first post in the thread. But we'll have to give him some time and see what the team looks like when the season starts.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:59 PM
tomd

IMO, the measure of success in DL's *first* year would be not to finish in the "black hole" netherworld of mediocrity (i.e. finishing between 10th and 20th). He has criticized past management for falling into this trap so he should be consciously attempting to avoid it himself....IMO, of course.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:46 PM
GRuiz98

Quote:
I Dont think you could have hit the nail on the head any better dude....I always say..lol, I cant imagine how football fans feel when there team looses and they gotta wait a whole week for them to play again. LOL
yeah, not to mention that each game is 1/16 of the season instead of 1/82. a 3 or 4 game losing streak could effectively ensure not makin' the playoffs. but yeah, having to wait a week is pretty brutal.

Old
07-04-2006, 04:06 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

dean was a pro scout last year maybe we should just trust he knows what hes doing with these signings

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Osprey

No, this team may not appear to be a playoff team at the moment, but recall that most of the teams that went far in the playoffs this year didn't look like playoff teams at this point last year, either. Who knew that, on Carolina, Staal would score 100pts and Cole and Williams would explode at PPG paces? Who knew that Selanne would be so good, McDonald would have a PPG year and Beauchemin would come out of nowhere to be very solid? Who knew that Drury and Briere would be good enough as #1 and #2 centers compared to the rest of the teams?

None of those teams looked like playoff teams, yet the unexpected happened last year. What if O'Sullivan has a year like Staal's (don't roll your eyes... he did outscore him in the OHL and at the same age in the AHL) or Cammalleri has one like Williams? What if Willsie and McCauley are extremely pleasant surprises, Thorton scores 26g like he did 4 years ago and a rag-tag group without oodles of skill or experience comes together as greater than the sum of its parts, like Buffalo? This is not to say that any of that will happen, but, rather, that you never know until the season starts. Fans in Raleigh, Buffalo and Anaheim didn't know at this time last year.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote