HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's go for Robert Lang

Old
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Let's go for Robert Lang

Why not? I'm sure we can put together something to try and pry Lang from Detroit...They have Datsyuk and Zetterburg who can both play centre, so I think Lang is expendible. They don't have a goalie currently either so we have something that addresses their needs.

Lang is expensive but he's consistently productive and plays well with Kovalev. I see alot of hesitation on the boards to sign him, but people seem to forget that just 2 years ago playing for the Caps he was challenging for the scoring title. He'd be a good 2nd line centre, maybe even 1st line (move Koivu down, and watch him explode with some pressure off him).

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:49 AM
Pat

I'd take Lang in a heart beat.
could Aebischer interest Detroit? I'm not saying Lang for Aebischer, but that could be the base of the deal between Habs and Wings. I don't know what Detroit are looking for, but if Lang is on the market...Gainey should give it a shot
Lang and Kovalev together could be lethal

Last edited by Pat: 07-04-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I'd take Lang in a heart beat.
could Aebischer interest Detroit? I'm not saying Lang for Aebischer, but that could be the base of the deal between Habs and Wings. I don't know what Detroit are looking for, but if Lang is on the market...Gainey should give it a shot
Lang and Kovalev together could be lethal
I think either Zednik or Aebischer for Lang would be fair. Maybe add a mid ranged pick from us to them (4th or 5th rounder). Salaries are not too far off (I remember hearing Lang was in the $3 million range while Zednik & Aebischer are in the $2 million range). Additionally, its a low risk trade for both teams as all three players are on the last year of their contracts.

Seems like win-win depending on what Detroit's needs are.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I remember the last time we discussed this. I'm all for it. Kovalev is our most dangerous player on offense, i believe getting Lang would further improve his play, not to mention add another threat, some experience and a big body at centre on a scoring line. Lang is making $3.8m and some posters on the Detroit board have been saying they would like to move him for a player earning less so A/ they get some more cap space and B/ they can more easily find a place for a guy like Huddler. I dont know if they still want a player to fill a secondary scoring role, ie Zednik, or if they would prefer Aebi. I get the impression most Detroit fans (from what i've seen) don't want Aebi but might take an interest in Zed. Even if we have to sweeten the pot a little and send Zed and a 3rd/4th rounder, i'd go for it. However, i don't think we could package Zed and Aebi because that ould instantly remove any cap room they might gain and i get the impression that its kinda important for them to get that as a result of trade.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:46 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I remember the last time we discussed this. I'm all for it. Kovalev is our most dangerous player on offense, i believe getting Lang would further improve his play, not to mention add another threat, some experience and a big body at centre on a scoring line. Lang is making $3.8m and some posters on the Detroit board have been saying they would like to move him for a player earning less so A/ they get some more cap space and B/ they can more easily find a place for a guy like Huddler. I dont know if they still want a player to fill a secondary scoring role, ie Zednik, or if they would prefer Aebi. I get the impression most Detroit fans (from what i've seen) don't want Aebi but might take an interest in Zed. Even if we have to sweeten the pot a little and send Zed and a 3rd/4th rounder, i'd go for it. However, i don't think we could package Zed and Aebi because that ould instantly remove any cap room they might gain and i get the impression that its kinda important for them to get that as a result of trade.
Zed and a 3rd or 4th rounder, can't talk for Gainey, but IMO would be a done deal on Habs' part. Gainey did say he wanted to beef up the center line. I don't think he'd pass on the occasion.

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Dutch

Lang, if the price if right, would be a great addition.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:03 AM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Montreal: R.Lang
Detroit: R.Zednik, conditional '07 draft pick

Montreal: E.Brewer
St. Louis: D.Aebischer, S.Souray

sign a 3rd line winger of UFA

Kostitsyn-Lang-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu(Ribeiro)-Ryder
(*UFA*)-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Murray

Markov-Komisarek
Brewer-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandeneault

Huet
Danis

Keep Ribeiro in case Saku is not ready in time.

It's so easy

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
paddy

Trading for Lang is about the only thing I would do for now since all the good UFA are gone. Let's not sign any UFA for the sake of signing UFA's.

If Gainey can pull a trade for an impact player, than great, but let's forget about signing UFA. I'd be ok with our current lineup + Lang, then I'd wait how things play out with other teams and see if I can trade for anything worthwhile.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:15 PM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

It would cost alot more IMO.........other teams would outbid us....

More like Ryder, Aebi +.....

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:16 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post

I don't think so. Lang is expendible and I don't think there is huge interest for him by other teams.

Old
07-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Traitor8

no way we trade Ryder to get Lang...

Traitor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I asked on the DET board and Aebi is a possibility, as is Zednik + a 3rd.

I don't think it would take much to get it done. DET needs cap relief too.

Old
07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post

...just lol. Lang is 36 and getting paid 3.8m to be Detroit's 3rd line center, he won't cost much in a trade.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:05 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Detroit would really not have any interest in D.Aebischer because GM Ken Holland said he wants a proven playoff type (probibly Belfour but I would hope for Biron)and David doesn't fit the bill.

Detroit may not move Lang only because he is that big body who is a consistent scorer, something that is needed on a team looking for playoff sucess.

I could see a Lang for Zednik and a 3rd/2nd in '07 if a deal is done though.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:08 PM
DanStewartFC
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I asked on the DET board and Aebi is a possibility, as is Zednik + a 3rd.

I don't think it would take much to get it done. DET needs cap relief too.
Detroit doen't need to move anyone for cap relief. If Shanny signs for around 3 Million and we get a goalie in the 2-3 Million range (Biron) as well as adding a mid range defender we will still have room under the cap.

DanStewartFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:20 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup4Wings View Post
Detroit would really not have any interest in D.Aebischer because GM Ken Holland said he wants a proven playoff type (probibly Belfour but I would hope for Biron)and David doesn't fit the bill.
Biron is a "proven playoff type"? You are aware he has no NHL playoff experience?

Aebischer has at least won one series, but if you want more than that, you'll need to be looking at Belfour, Giguere and Nabokov.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Saku Koivu MTL View Post
Montreal: R.Lang
Detroit: R.Zednik, conditional '07 draft pick

Montreal: E.Brewer
St. Louis: D.Aebischer, S.Souray

sign a 3rd line winger of UFA

Kostitsyn-Lang-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu(Ribeiro)-Ryder
(*UFA*)-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Bonk-Murray

Markov-Komisarek
Brewer-Rivet
Bouillon-Dandeneault

Huet
Danis

Keep Ribeiro in case Saku is not ready in time.

It's so easy

lol @ the overpayment for eric brewer. have you seen him play? he's terrible in his own zone. You remember those times that souray got owned by spezza and chara..well that happens to brewer on a nightly basis. throw in the fact that he's been a minus player in every single year he's been in the nhl (except one), and his offensive numbers are worse than souray's. i wouldn't even trade brewer for souray, straight up.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Biron is a "proven playoff type"? You are aware he has no NHL playoff experience?

Aebischer has at least won one series, but if you want more than that, you'll need to be looking at Belfour, Giguere and Nabokov.
i love how these kids dismiss aebischer's abilities, when he has better career numbers than every single goaltender that's been mentioned in this thread.
not only that but he'll be around 4 million cheaper than giguere and nabokov, cheaper than biron who'll be demanding a higher salary and belfour? belfour couldn't even cut it for the leafs, yet the wings would rather have this 109 guy with chronic back pains as opposed to aebischer?
lol.

aebischer is probably the most underrated goaltender in the nhl, and it's sad.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
koh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
i love how these kids dismiss aebischer's abilities, when he has better career numbers than every single goaltender that's been mentioned in this thread.
not only that but he'll be around 4 million cheaper than giguere and nabokov, cheaper than biron who'll be demanding a higher salary and belfour? belfour couldn't even cut it for the leafs, yet the wings would rather have this 109 guy with chronic back pains as opposed to aebischer?
lol.

aebischer is probably the most underrated goaltender in the nhl, and it's sad.
That's so true, aebischer is the most underrated goaltender in the nhl. All of you guys see him as an unproven goalie because he was backup for the habs during the playoffs. It just so happened that huet was on a good run and that aebischer had just changed club and played 5 games. With aebischer in the playoffs, the habs would have played further in the playoffs than with huet because aebischer knows playoff pressure and for christ's sake, he took patrick roy's place in colorado, know another goalie who did that kind of thing. Aebischer is without a doubt a worldclass goaltender in the nhl that deserves to be number 1 and not backup. Putting aebischer backup is a bloody waste of talent.

koh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Marchy79

Nah I wouldnt get Lang. I know he has solid history w/ Kovalev... However I dont believe it's a move that will improve this club long term. If he was 4 years younger I would jump on it... However @ 36... It's around that time where he might falter and not be a strong addition.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
eddy

I'd go for Lang, as pointed out they've got Zetterberg and Datsyuk up the middle so Lang is not as needed there and he's be a great number 2 center who has chemistry with Kovalev. I woudln't give a lot away but I don't think they'd be asking for a whole lot so somthing could be there.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote