HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point does Semin prove himself for a contract extension?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Beardy*

vCash: 500
At what point does Semin prove himself for a contract extension?

For me, personally, that time has already come. Just seeing what he's doing for the top line, and what he's doing for Eric Staal's game... its just absolutely incredible to watch on a nightly basis. The two of them paired together long term would be AWESOME for this organization and the city of Raleigh. Having Staal, Staal, Skinner, and Semin locked up long-term would be a foundation upon which we should be contending for Cups again in the near future.

What say you?

Beardy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
WWAD

It would probably be prudent to make sure we're not in last place at the trade deadline first.

I'd have no problem getting it done before the off-season though.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Right now.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:10 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
The two of them paired together long term would be AWESOME for this organization and the city of Raleigh. Having Staal, Staal, Skinner, and Semin locked up long-term would be a foundation upon which we should be contending for Cups again in the near future.
The nucleus created by those players is indeed astounding, especially when you include Faulk in the mix -- not as a long-term signed guy but as a piece of the delicious pie. What team wouldn't want that to build around?

Personally if the Canes were able to extend Semin even for 2 more years I'd probably do cartwheels most of the way out to PNC. I'd be all for putting ink to paper, today, regardless that I know it's not practical or rational.

That said I just can't see Semin sitting down to even listen to a deal until the offseason, knowing full well that many GMs are going to be looking at this season as his resume... maybe even more than his years with the Caps.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Give it time. I think the trade deadline would be a perfect time to decide one way or the other.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Beardy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
The nucleus created by those players is indeed astounding, especially when you include Faulk in the mix -- not as a long-term signed guy but as a piece of the delicious pie. What team wouldn't want that to build around?

Personally if the Canes were able to extend Semin even for 2 more years I'd probably do cartwheels most of the way out to PNC. I'd be all for putting ink to paper, today, regardless that I know it's not practical or rational.

That said I just can't see Semin sitting down to even listen to a deal until the offseason, knowing full well that many GMs are going to be looking at this season as his resume... maybe even more than his years with the Caps.
Honestly, I say start the negotiating now. Semin chose to come to Raleigh, and its paying dividends for him. We stuck our neck out for this guy, gave him an elite center to anchor his line, gave him the time on the PK he wanted, and we're letting him just go out there and have fun. More importantly, the fanbase really truly appreciates his play on the ice, and we want him to sign long term.

Lets put it this way. Last year, Eric Staal finished the season dead last in +/-. Through 8 games this year, all with Semin on his wing, he's currently third. THAT is the value he brings to the team, and its something JR should not let walk away.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
Honestly, I say start the negotiating now. Semin chose to come to Raleigh, and its paying dividends for him. We stuck our neck out for this guy, gave him an elite center to anchor his line, gave him the time on the PK he wanted, and we're letting him just go out there and have fun. More importantly, the fanbase really truly appreciates his play on the ice, and we want him to sign long term.

Lets put it this way. Last year, Eric Staal finished the season dead last in +/-. Through 8 games this year, all with Semin on his wing, he's currently third. THAT is the value he brings to the team, and its something JR should not let walk away.
I'm all for seeing where he's at right now, and it makes me wonder just what sort of activity is going on behind the scenes.

Giving Semin more responsibility has proven to be fruitful in ways I never even saw coming, honestly.

Semin has made a liar out of me this season, partially. I told my wife when they signed him it would either make us never want to see him play in another sweater or hate his guts, and I had most of a foot over in the "Guts: hate" camp.

Last edited by PaulProteus: 02-06-2013 at 03:41 PM.
PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

If we signed Semin to a 2/3 year deal at 7 million per, we would have 42 million tied up in 7 players by 2014-2015 (Staal's, Skinner, Ward, Semin, Ruutu and Gleason).

Factor in Faulk raise: Let's say he gets a 5 year, 25 million dollar deal. That's 47 million in 8 players.

Now,

Dwyer at 1 million.
Jokinen (resigned) at 3 million.
Pitkanen (resigned) at 3.5 million.
McBain/Harrison at 2 million.
Jiri Tlusty/LaRose at 1.75 million.
Bowman at 1 million.

63 million in 16 players. We still need:

2 forwards.
1/2 defenseman.
A backup goalie.

(bare minimum to ice an NHL roster)

At around 5-8 million dollars, or an average of less than a million per player.

Given how our prospect pipeline looks, only Rask and Murphy will contribute as anything above solid NHL'ers on cheap ass contracts, so I would be wary of signing Semin to 7 million a year. If he regresses at all, we are screwed. We need him to be a PPG winger. So far, he has done slightly below that, but given the amount of iron he has hit, the woeful success of our power play and general learning curve, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But enough beating around the bush: if we sign Semin, then this is going to be our core for the next 5 years. No turning back. The question is, do we want to go into April year in, year out with an offensive attack that features the Staal's, Skinner and Semin? Are we comfortable with the defense as it stands? If we sign Semin to a longer term deal, then we simply won't have the money to get a significant upgrade to our defense, which is concerning given that Pitkanen is close to 30. His freakish stamina won't last forever.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
caniac247

I saw an article yesterday that was on my twitter feed about JR getting more than expected from Semin and he's very impressed with his 2-way play. So JR is happy, if Semin's happy (which he seems to be), I say get it done.

We've been looking for years for a guy to play with Ericl. And although it's only a small sample size, he's doing wonders for Eric on that line.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Gr8Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan The Parade View Post
If we signed Semin to a 2/3 year deal at 7 million per, we would have 42 million tied up in 7 players by 2014-2015 (Staal's, Skinner, Ward, Semin, Ruutu and Gleason).

Factor in Faulk raise: Let's say he gets a 5 year, 25 million dollar deal. That's 47 million in 8 players.

Now,

Dwyer at 1 million.
Bowman at 1 million.

2 forwards.
1/2 defenseman.
A backup goalie.

Given how our prospect pipeline looks, only Rask and Murphy will contribute as anything above solid NHL'ers on cheap ass contracts, so I would be wary of signing Semin to 7 million a year. If he regresses at all, we are screwed. We need him to be a PPG winger. So far, he has done slightly below that, but given the amount of iron he has hit, the woeful success of our power play and general learning curve, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

But enough beating around the bush: if we sign Semin, then this is going to be our core for the next 5 years. No turning back. The question is, do we want to go into April year in, year out with an offensive attack that features the Staal's, Skinner and Semin? Are we comfortable with the defense as it stands? If we sign Semin to a longer term deal, then we simply won't have the money to get a significant upgrade to our defense, which is concerning given that Pitkanen is close to 30. His freakish stamina won't last forever.
I really doubt Faulk gets 5m per, Subban only got a 2 year 5.75m deal. I also read that Semin would take a salary cut if it were a longer deal, maybe 6-6.5m a year for 5 years?

Gr8Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

As great as Semin is playing right now, I'd like to see him keep it up for a good portion of the season before making an extension offer. I'd also like him to score a little more (maybe a little less post hits ).

And as already mentioned, if Semin's going to be asking anywhere near what he's making now, we're stuck with the defense we have now. And I know no one is (or should be) content with the defense we have now.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
As great as Semin is playing right now, I'd like to see him keep it up for a good portion of the season before making an extension offer. I'd also like him to score a little more (maybe a little less post hits ).

And as already mentioned, if Semin's going to be asking anywhere near what he's making now, we're stuck with the defense we have now. And I know no one is (or should be) content with the defense we have now.
I think JR is content with our defense.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I think JR is content with our defense.
And that's a huge problem.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:14 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Eric is in the prime of his career (Semin is too) and getting another legit first line winger to play with him should we let Semin walk is going to be difficult, sure it can be done but we'd have to give up a lot to get that kind of player and since we got Semin in the FA market, I say the time for JR to talk with him about staying with the Hurricanes for years to come should be within the next 4-6 weeks.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Do you pop the question after only a couple of dates when the parties are both on their best behavior? I'd wait until later in the year after the team (and Semin) face some sort of adversity.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Beardy*

Quote:

Now,

Dwyer at 1 million.
Bowman at 1 million.

2 forwards.
1/2 defenseman.
A backup goalie.

Semin isn't getting $7m a year for his extension... He only got that this year as incentive to sign one year. If he extends, it'll likely be in the $5m-$6m per year over 5 years, and he'll be happy with that.

Faulk will get around what Subban just got. That contract set the market for these players. Will be short term relatively cheap so they can get the big payday when their play starts to round to form.

To answer your question, hell yes I'm content with an offensive core like that. Not many teams can match 2 lines like that, especially with young players who have yet to hit their peak. Set that up and really all JR has to focus on going forward is defense and who we can plug and play on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:38 PM
Mr America

Quote:

Now,

Dwyer at 1 million.
Bowman at 1 million.

2 forwards.
1/2 defenseman.
A backup goalie.

You're right, we shouldn't hope JR spends too much on Semin, and somehow manages to opt back towards mediocrity.

Mr America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

his 2.9% shooting can't hold up... He's due to bust out

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminal Velocity View Post
his 2.9% shooting can't hold up... He's due to bust out
And with his 200 ft game, we'll be seeing Semin all over the ice.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post

We were joking about that last night. By my count he has rung iron four times in 9 games. You know some of those are gonna stop finding the pipes at some point.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
We were joking about that last night. By my count he has rung iron four times in 9 games. You know some of those are gonna stop finding the pipes at some point.
Leafs fans are saying the exact same thing about Kessel.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
TheBigKahuna

If you watch Semin in practice, he always aims for the corners. And quite often he banks them in off the posts. I think he's really aiming for the edges, where a lot of guys just fling it towards the goalies chest. He'll start sneaking more pucks into the net.

Cam Ward was on XM radio today, and one of the topics was Semin, and how he was blamed for a lot of the shortcomings of the Caps during his time there. Rutherford talked to several former teammates of Semin, including Corvo as we all know by now. They asked a lot of people if the rumors were true, and came to the conclusion that they might not be. It's very likely that he wasn't happy there, or with the coaches, etc. That's not to say he won't sour on being a Cane, but right now he sure looks happy. I think a HUGE part of whether or not he signs here again, will come down to Semin. What's more important to him, a little more money, a longer contract, or playing somewhere where he really likes the team/organization. I think that will be the biggest factor, does he want to stay, or chase the pay. Even Pitkanen, could have left Raleigh for a bigger payday. There's a lot to be said for being in a low-key market for some of these guys. They enjoy the daily anonymity.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I wonder how much Semin enjoys being out of Ovie's shadow. I still can't wait for the first Caps game. In that, we'll get a read of just how good Semin can be.

If I were JR, I wait until 2 weeks before the season ends. If Semin has performed, offer a 3 year, 16.5 million contract with a NTC. Offer stability and the opportunity to be a core part.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr America View Post
You're right, we shouldn't hope JR spends too much on Semin, and somehow manages to opt back towards mediocrity.
It's not about mediocrity, it's about opportunity cost.

If we resign Semin, and that precludes us from getting Marc Staal, is that a fair trade off? Such a think has happened, for example, with Boston. Boston let Joe Thornton go, but used his cap space to sign Zdeno Chara some time later.

On the other hand, if we let Semin go and don't reinvest the money he left on the table at all, then that is obviously a huge blow. We saw this with the 'Canes and Erik Cole, where the money he left wasn't properly reinvested, and we lost his money.

We need to consider who will be available, whether UFA or trade, and if a hypothetical Semin signing would preclude us from that.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:17 PM
TheBigKahuna

When it comes down to money....and if the Canes are up against the cap, etc....I'l be looking at Gleason and Ruutu, and shaking my head in disgust.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote