HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Around the NHL part 4: season's starting, so let's mock everyone else

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
The few times I noticed Boychuk on the ice he was playing with Sutter and Malkin. Is that who he played most of the game with?
It was mainly Malkin and Neal, but because of all the special teams play, the lines got juggled at times.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Hockyluv21

Devils acquire Loktionov from the Kings for a measly 5th round pick. Damn, missed opportunity for JR to get a #3 center for cheap

Old
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
bleedgreen

Such a low price, you wonder what people know about him that we don't. You'd think he was worth more.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Such a low price, you wonder what people know about him that we don't. You'd think he was worth more.
I don't know much about him other than remembering that he scored his first goal against Carolina.

I checked over some of the Kings fans comments. A lot of the comments was that he was a "top 6 or bust" player. Good positioning, decent skills, but not very strong and didn't work out well when they tried him on the wing. Take it for what it's worth though as post trade comments from fans aren't always the best indicator.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I don't know much about him other than remembering that he scored his first goal against Carolina.

I checked over some of the Kings fans comments. A lot of the comments was that he was a "top 6 or bust" player. Good positioning, decent skills, but not very strong and didn't work out well when they tried him on the wing. Take it for what it's worth though as post trade comments from fans aren't always the best indicator.
Isn't that true of almost the entirety of the players to have ever played a game in the NHL in the past five years, though?

Old
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Bruins @ Canadiens tonight, love it.

BTW, the Canadiens GDT from Moen in Glory was terrific.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
It comes down to a few basic principals. He's Russian.... which means the team he was going to could easily get Dadonov'd by him in the offseason. He's undersized and some would argue without the requisite defensive ability to be a bottom six forward. Plus, he tarnished his own stock and emphasized his KHL risk by demanding a trade, which seems to be step one towards going home. Not at all surprised he only fetched a 5th in return.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

how is bostons powerplay so awful

Old
02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
how is bostons powerplay so awful
Seguin is the only forward on that team that team with better than average offensive finesse skills.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
Seguin is the only forward on that team that team with better than average offensive finesse skills.
I'd argue Krecji has better finesse skills than Seguin. Seguin has better speed and a great shot. The Bruins have basically the identical personnel as last year and they were in the top half of the league at over 17% last season so it is surprising they are struggling so much.

What's also interesting is how much of an impact Markov has had in Montreal. Looks like a totally different team with him out there.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 3289
Quote:
I'd argue Krecji has better finesse skills than Seguin. Seguin has better speed and a great shot. The Bruins have basically the identical personnel as last year and they were in the top half of the league at over 17% last season so it is surprising they are struggling so much.

What's also interesting is how much of an impact Markov has had in Montreal. Looks like a totally different team with him out there.
I was gonna say the same thing, if Krejci's not better than Seguin he's at LEAST above average...

Old
02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Early projections has Ward on the Canadian Olympic team. Cue freakouts by other fanbases/Team Canada fans.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Not counting rookies, the choices for team Canada aren't exactly plentiful. Broduer will likely be retired so then you got Ward, Fleury (LOL) Price, Luongo and maybe Elliot.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Don't forget Lalongo.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

For a team in a bit of a rebuild, having Thomas and Nabby as your two goalies is pretty bizarre...

Old
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
For a team in a bit of a rebuild, having Thomas and Nabby as your two goalies is pretty bizarre...
Thomas isn't playing this year though. So basically, the Isles acquired $5M in cap space, don't have to pay Thomas a penny and don't lose a pick since he won't play. This gives them the flexibility to trade some players for picks/prospects during the season not be under the cap.

Dare I say a trade that helps both teams.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Price
Luongo
Ward
Fleury
Dubnyk
Smith
and I doubt Brodeur will be retired

Canada has a fine selection

Old
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Thomas isn't playing this year though. So basically, the Isles acquired $5M in cap space, don't have to pay Thomas a penny and don't lose a pick since he won't play. This gives them the flexibility to trade some players for picks/prospects during the season not be under the cap.

Dare I say a trade that helps both teams.
If Thomas does decide to play they're screwed though, right? I guess what you're saying makes sense though.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Price
Luongo
Ward
Fleury
Dubnyk
Smith
and I doubt Brodeur will be retired

Canada has a fine selection
So the best 3 of the top 4 on that list?

I love Dubnyk, but he's not gonna make it over any of the 4 ahead of him. I doubt Smith makes it, I doubt Marty makes it even if he's still playing.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Quote:
So the best 3 of the top 4 on that list?

I love Dubnyk, but he's not gonna make it over any of the 4 ahead of him. I doubt Smith makes it, I doubt Marty makes it even if he's still playing.
Price and Luongo are locks in my mind

Dubnyk and Smith would have to step it up this season/playoffs/next season to get a spot but I can't rule them out yet. Dubnyk especially, playing for Team Canada in World Championships and the Spengler Cup, Team Canada does look back to guys that show up to those tournaments.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
If Thomas does decide to play they're screwed though, right? I guess what you're saying makes sense though.
Thomas has said numerous times he's not playing this year so it's a pretty low risk, especially given the Isles only have 39 games left. If he has a sudden change of heart, they aren't really screwed. Even though his cap hit is $5M, his actual salary for 82 games is $3M this year, so if he came back today, they'd be on the hook for $1.4M. If it's 20 games from now they are on the hook for $700K, etc.... so it isn't a huge amount of money even for a budget team.

Even if he says "I'm coming back", my guess is the Isles still don't play him so they keep their 2nd round pick.

EDIT: and my understanding is that if he decides he wants to play next year, the Isles can decide the terminate the contract or toll it for next year (since he didn't play this year). If they feel he's still got it and want him in the net, it only costs a 2nd round pick...or they can part ways for nothing.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
can't imagine this kind of cap circumvention (assuming he won't report as expected) will go over too well.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Thomas has said numerous times he's not playing this year so it's a pretty low risk, especially given the Isles only have 39 games left. If he has a sudden change of heart, they aren't really screwed. Even though his cap hit is $5M, his actual salary for 82 games is $3M this year, so if he came back today, they'd be on the hook for $1.4M. If it's 20 games from now they are on the hook for $700K, etc.... so it isn't a huge amount of money even for a budget team.

Even if he says "I'm coming back", my guess is the Isles still don't play him so they keep their 2nd round pick.

EDIT: and my understanding is that if he decides he wants to play next year, the Isles can decide the terminate the contract or toll it for next year (since he didn't play this year). If they feel he's still got it and want him in the net, it only costs a 2nd round pick...or they can part ways for nothing.
OK, I knew all of that, but the choice to toll the contract for next year is ENTIRELY on the Isles? Or does Thomas have any say?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
OK, I knew all of that, but the choice to toll the contract for next year is ENTIRELY on the Isles? Or does Thomas have any say?
It's the Isles decision. For a no-show it's the club's option.

Like I said, very little risk. At most a few hundred thousand $ if Thomas changes his mind down the road this season.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
It's the Isles decision. For a no-show it's the club's option.

Like I said, very little risk. At most a few hundred thousand $ if Thomas changes his mind down the road this season.
And a 2nd round pick...

Closed Thread