HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Around the NHL part 4: season's starting, so let's mock everyone else

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 03:07 PM
  #901
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWAD View Post
The few times I noticed Boychuk on the ice he was playing with Sutter and Malkin. Is that who he played most of the game with?
It was mainly Malkin and Neal, but because of all the special teams play, the lines got juggled at times.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
  #902
Hockyluv21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 341
vCash: 500
Devils acquire Loktionov from the Kings for a measly 5th round pick. Damn, missed opportunity for JR to get a #3 center for cheap

Hockyluv21 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM
  #903
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,203
vCash: 500
Such a low price, you wonder what people know about him that we don't. You'd think he was worth more.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
  #904
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Such a low price, you wonder what people know about him that we don't. You'd think he was worth more.
I don't know much about him other than remembering that he scored his first goal against Carolina.

I checked over some of the Kings fans comments. A lot of the comments was that he was a "top 6 or bust" player. Good positioning, decent skills, but not very strong and didn't work out well when they tried him on the wing. Take it for what it's worth though as post trade comments from fans aren't always the best indicator.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
  #905
Head Goose
Doing Less Better
 
Head Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Raleigh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I don't know much about him other than remembering that he scored his first goal against Carolina.

I checked over some of the Kings fans comments. A lot of the comments was that he was a "top 6 or bust" player. Good positioning, decent skills, but not very strong and didn't work out well when they tried him on the wing. Take it for what it's worth though as post trade comments from fans aren't always the best indicator.
Isn't that true of almost the entirety of the players to have ever played a game in the NHL in the past five years, though?

Head Goose is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:25 PM
  #906
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman
 
PaulProteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,074
vCash: 500
Bruins @ Canadiens tonight, love it.

BTW, the Canadiens GDT from Moen in Glory was terrific.

PaulProteus is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 06:44 PM
  #907
Vagrant
The Czech Condor
 
Vagrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Such a low price, you wonder what people know about him that we don't. You'd think he was worth more.
It comes down to a few basic principals. He's Russian.... which means the team he was going to could easily get Dadonov'd by him in the offseason. He's undersized and some would argue without the requisite defensive ability to be a bottom six forward. Plus, he tarnished his own stock and emphasized his KHL risk by demanding a trade, which seems to be step one towards going home. Not at all surprised he only fetched a 5th in return.

Vagrant is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
  #908
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo
 
Anton H Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia SC
Country: United States
Posts: 995
vCash: 500
how is bostons powerplay so awful

Anton H Christ is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 07:54 PM
  #909
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.
 
Chicago Made Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,410
vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton H Christ View Post
how is bostons powerplay so awful
Seguin is the only forward on that team that team with better than average offensive finesse skills.

Chicago Made Punk is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
  #910
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
Seguin is the only forward on that team that team with better than average offensive finesse skills.
I'd argue Krecji has better finesse skills than Seguin. Seguin has better speed and a great shot. The Bruins have basically the identical personnel as last year and they were in the top half of the league at over 17% last season so it is surprising they are struggling so much.

What's also interesting is how much of an impact Markov has had in Montreal. Looks like a totally different team with him out there.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
  #911
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I'd argue Krecji has better finesse skills than Seguin. Seguin has better speed and a great shot. The Bruins have basically the identical personnel as last year and they were in the top half of the league at over 17% last season so it is surprising they are struggling so much.

What's also interesting is how much of an impact Markov has had in Montreal. Looks like a totally different team with him out there.
I was gonna say the same thing, if Krejci's not better than Seguin he's at LEAST above average...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 12:08 PM
  #912
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high
 
Blueline Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 20,887
vCash: 500
Early projections has Ward on the Canadian Olympic team. Cue freakouts by other fanbases/Team Canada fans.

Blueline Bomber is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
  #913
Lazyking
Never Forget
 
Lazyking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 3,547
vCash: 500
Not counting rookies, the choices for team Canada aren't exactly plentiful. Broduer will likely be retired so then you got Ward, Fleury (LOL) Price, Luongo and maybe Elliot.

Lazyking is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  #914
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 30,339
vCash: 500
Don't forget Lalongo.

tarheelhockey is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:39 PM
  #915
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
For a team in a bit of a rebuild, having Thomas and Nabby as your two goalies is pretty bizarre...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
  #916
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
For a team in a bit of a rebuild, having Thomas and Nabby as your two goalies is pretty bizarre...
Thomas isn't playing this year though. So basically, the Isles acquired $5M in cap space, don't have to pay Thomas a penny and don't lose a pick since he won't play. This gives them the flexibility to trade some players for picks/prospects during the season not be under the cap.

Dare I say a trade that helps both teams.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:41 PM
  #917
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT
 
Stahl2Stall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London ON Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Price
Luongo
Ward
Fleury
Dubnyk
Smith
and I doubt Brodeur will be retired

Canada has a fine selection

Stahl2Stall is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
  #918
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Thomas isn't playing this year though. So basically, the Isles acquired $5M in cap space, don't have to pay Thomas a penny and don't lose a pick since he won't play. This gives them the flexibility to trade some players for picks/prospects during the season not be under the cap.

Dare I say a trade that helps both teams.
If Thomas does decide to play they're screwed though, right? I guess what you're saying makes sense though.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 04:49 PM
  #919
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Price
Luongo
Ward
Fleury
Dubnyk
Smith
and I doubt Brodeur will be retired

Canada has a fine selection
So the best 3 of the top 4 on that list?

I love Dubnyk, but he's not gonna make it over any of the 4 ahead of him. I doubt Smith makes it, I doubt Marty makes it even if he's still playing.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:00 PM
  #920
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT
 
Stahl2Stall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London ON Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
So the best 3 of the top 4 on that list?

I love Dubnyk, but he's not gonna make it over any of the 4 ahead of him. I doubt Smith makes it, I doubt Marty makes it even if he's still playing.
Price and Luongo are locks in my mind

Dubnyk and Smith would have to step it up this season/playoffs/next season to get a spot but I can't rule them out yet. Dubnyk especially, playing for Team Canada in World Championships and the Spengler Cup, Team Canada does look back to guys that show up to those tournaments.

Stahl2Stall is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
  #921
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
If Thomas does decide to play they're screwed though, right? I guess what you're saying makes sense though.
Thomas has said numerous times he's not playing this year so it's a pretty low risk, especially given the Isles only have 39 games left. If he has a sudden change of heart, they aren't really screwed. Even though his cap hit is $5M, his actual salary for 82 games is $3M this year, so if he came back today, they'd be on the hook for $1.4M. If it's 20 games from now they are on the hook for $700K, etc.... so it isn't a huge amount of money even for a budget team.

Even if he says "I'm coming back", my guess is the Isles still don't play him so they keep their 2nd round pick.

EDIT: and my understanding is that if he decides he wants to play next year, the Isles can decide the terminate the contract or toll it for next year (since he didn't play this year). If they feel he's still got it and want him in the net, it only costs a 2nd round pick...or they can part ways for nothing.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  #922
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev
 
DaveG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Durham NC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,743
vCash: 445
can't imagine this kind of cap circumvention (assuming he won't report as expected) will go over too well.

DaveG is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:22 PM
  #923
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Thomas has said numerous times he's not playing this year so it's a pretty low risk, especially given the Isles only have 39 games left. If he has a sudden change of heart, they aren't really screwed. Even though his cap hit is $5M, his actual salary for 82 games is $3M this year, so if he came back today, they'd be on the hook for $1.4M. If it's 20 games from now they are on the hook for $700K, etc.... so it isn't a huge amount of money even for a budget team.

Even if he says "I'm coming back", my guess is the Isles still don't play him so they keep their 2nd round pick.

EDIT: and my understanding is that if he decides he wants to play next year, the Isles can decide the terminate the contract or toll it for next year (since he didn't play this year). If they feel he's still got it and want him in the net, it only costs a 2nd round pick...or they can part ways for nothing.
OK, I knew all of that, but the choice to toll the contract for next year is ENTIRELY on the Isles? Or does Thomas have any say?

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
  #924
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 8,182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
OK, I knew all of that, but the choice to toll the contract for next year is ENTIRELY on the Isles? Or does Thomas have any say?
It's the Isles decision. For a no-show it's the club's option.

Like I said, very little risk. At most a few hundred thousand $ if Thomas changes his mind down the road this season.

Boom Boom Anton is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 06:08 PM
  #925
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov
 
Anton Dubinchuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,161
vCash: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
It's the Isles decision. For a no-show it's the club's option.

Like I said, very little risk. At most a few hundred thousand $ if Thomas changes his mind down the road this season.
And a 2nd round pick...

Anton Dubinchuk is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.