HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting Chicago - Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza

Old
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
indfin

vCash: 500
Will be in Chicago from 2/20-2/23 (visiting some colleges with my son). We decided to book the trip the same day tickets went on sale, so we were able to grab seats for the 2/22 game against the Sharks online through TM. Very excited ... been to Chicago (my son hasn't) but never been to the United Center.

I am sure it is somewhere in this thread, but if anyone has suggestions for dinners (BBQ, Pizza, etc.), I am all ears.

Also catching the Northwestern/Wisconsin basketball game on the 20th. Any reason to eat in Evanston before the game?

indfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Buffalo Joe's or Dave's Italian Kitchen in Evanston.

Cliche' but get your Gino's East patty sausage deep dish pizza while you're here.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Hawkscap

Skip Geno's and go to Peaquod's.

http://www.pequodspizza.com/

Hawkscap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Paul Allen

I second Buffalo Joe's.

What schools are you checking out? That will help with dining suggestions.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:12 AM
indfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post
I second Buffalo Joe's.

What schools are you checking out? That will help with dining suggestions.
In Chicago (area), we will be seeing U. of Chicago and Northwestern. Will also be using Chicago as base for visits to Wisconsin and Indiana

indfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:56 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher42 View Post
Skip Geno's and go to Peaquod's.

http://www.pequodspizza.com/
I second this. Plus these are the same guys who own all the area Gunzos hockey shops so they are big hockey fans.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by indfin View Post
In Chicago (area), we will be seeing U. of Chicago and Northwestern. Will also be using Chicago as base for visits to Wisconsin and Indiana
Just watch yourself there. Essentially the entire area surrounding the campus is bad. Nothing to see or stop for there.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
My uncle lives in Hyde Park. He's 90. The place is harmless...

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
My uncle lives in Hyde Park. He's 90. The place is harmless...
I'm talking about straying from Hyde Park, obviously. Going anywhere west or south or even directly north of the campus is less than desirable, especially if you don't know your way around. Hyde Park is a small pocket of good surrounded by an abundance of bad otherwise known as Woodlawn and Washington Park. Far enough west you have Englewood. Simply stating if you don't know your way around be careful about where you explore or look for places to eat, visit, etc. Can wind up somewhere bad quick.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 02-07-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Typo.
Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:59 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Meh, my cousin went there. I visited a couple times. I'm also bad with directions going to new places, so I got the whole ****ing tour and wasn't really ever that far off from where I was supposed to be. It's sketchy...putting it mildy there too.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:05 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

You dont want to be sightseeing at night and certainly not late at night in the surrounding areas. Daytime is ok. Car is usually ok.

Food is great. Few rib places are great. Pizza, stuffed or deep dish; Italian beefs; Chicago Hot dogs are a must. Also Gyros if you like them. Luxury dining you can find downtown and suburbs. Just depends what you budget on food is.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:47 AM
pocketrockets

Hey guys I'm looking to head over to the Blackhawks/Sharks game this Friday. Not surprisingly, there aren't many tickets available for this game. Ideal I'd love to sit in the club level but that doesn't seem practical. In fact all I can really find for less than a hundred dollars is SRO tickets. I'm not necessarily against standing for the whole game but I can't find where these seats (err spots) actually are. So if anyone can shed some light where they are that would be great. Also, if anyone is looking to unload a ticket, PM me.

pocketrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 12:59 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Standing room wraps around the top of the 300 level. I have outlined the configuration of the area in red and orange.

Get there as the gates open and sprint upstairs so you can get a spot in the orange area. This area is unobstructed, as it is raised above the seating below it. There's also easy food/drink access directly behind that area.

If you are stuck in a red area, you will be trying to lean over the seats in front of you for the entire game. It absolutely sucks.

There are also 4 bar areas in each corner of the 300 level. Standing room ticket holders aren't supposed to stand here, but if you can get away with it, do so.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:05 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Standing room is at the top of the 300 level. They'll sell enough standing room tickets to go 3 people deep so you'll probably want to get there early if you go that route. With the start the Hawks have had, I don't think you'll be able to find a deal for a weekend date.

You can also check out the Blackhawks site and go to the season ticket holder ticket exchange. I'm seeing a pair in the 300 level for $110 each. If you are by yourself, there are a few singles for $93. For $30 more, I'd highly recommend getting a seat as all of the standing room tickets appear to be around $60.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:34 AM
pocketrockets

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Plus the MSPaint drawing +1

Last edited by pocketrockets: 02-12-2013 at 08:42 AM.
pocketrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
oilersrock99

OT - Visiting Chicago - Things to do/places to stay?

Hey everybody. My buddy and I are flying to Nashville on the 7th of March to watch the Oilers/Preds game on the 8th and then heading to Chicago on the 9th and staying there until the 11th. We were wondering if people had suggestions on where to stay and things to do in Chicago? We'd like to stay somewhere close to the arena, so we can stumble home if need be after the game.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Also, should we rent a vehicle or is transit and taxi services reliable and plentiful?

oilersrock99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Sarava

Try this thread that we have stickied:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1162169

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
oilersrock99

Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay in? We'll be catching the Oilers/Hawks game on the 10th of Chicago, and would like to be close to the arena, but also close to good areas with restaurants, pubs and other "things to do" spots.
Ideas?

Last edited by oilersrock99: 02-19-2013 at 02:35 PM.
oilersrock99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:04 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrock99 View Post
Any suggestions on a good hotel to stay in? We'll be catching the Oilers/Hawks game on the 10th of Chicago, and would like to be close to the arena, but also close to good areas with restaurants, pubs and other "things to do" spots.
Ideas?
See the Groupon below. Great location for a tourist, great price, 3.5/5 on TripAdvisor. Only downside for this one is it isn't that close to the arena, just under 4 miles away. Although for someone who doesn't know the area, you might be best off cabbing it to the UC anyway. You can get to the arena directly from the hotel for about $15. Earlier in the day you might even wander a little towards the arena and could get to it for under $10 easily...

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-inn-of-chicago

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Skew06

Blues fan here from st louis, girlfriend got me tickets to the blues/hawks game april 4th in chicago.

first question: Does that gift give me instant grounds to marry her?

second question: On a more serious note, im just looking for a cool little bar to go to before the game thats within walking distance of the United Center where i wont have to sell my car just to be able to afford a few beers. Ive heard billy goat taverns pretty cool, just want a place with some cheap drinks and sports fan atmosphere where I can talk some hockey over a cold one before and after the game.

Skew06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skew06 View Post
Blues fan here from st louis, girlfriend got me tickets to the blues/hawks game april 4th in chicago.

first question: Does that gift give me instant grounds to marry her?

second question: On a more serious note, im just looking for a cool little bar to go to before the game that's within walking distance of the United Center where i wont have to sell my car just to be able to afford a few beers. Ive heard billy goat taverns pretty cool, just want a place with some cheap drinks and sports fan atmosphere where I can talk some hockey over a cold one before and after the game.
1) Yes, I'd say that puts her in the front running for sure.

2) Billy Goat is fine. I prefer West End however . Billy Goat you can walk to the UC easily. West End you can to, but it's about a 20min walk, however they do have a shuttle to take fans to the game. Get to both places EARLY though to ensure you get a decent table while you are there.

If you like good beer, there is a good place down near where West End is again called "Beer Bistro" that you can go to after the game as well. They have a pretty long beer list.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Beer Bistro is great. Went there for the 1st time before the opener. They've got $0.25 wings on Sunday, your game day, FYI.

Old
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

vCash: 547
Beer Bistro is the best. Used to hang out there all the time when I was living in the city. Third Rail isn't a bad place either. West End just gets too damn busy right after the game.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:52 AM
cherrypik

I love West End but you need to get there almost 2 hours before the game to get a table. I got their just before 6 last nite(a week night game) and it was packed.

cherrypik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
I'd head to the twisted spoke and then just take a cab to the game. Best whisky bar in town.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote