HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT Yanks sign #1 foreign free agent

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2006, 02:00 AM
  #26
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Why don't you ask Manny Ramirez how good Cabrera is. Believe me, he may be on the team because of injury, but he's played better defensively than any Yankee outfielder has this season so far with the exception of Johnny Damon.

You obviously don't watch the Yankees enough, or have a terrible bias against them.

Milledge might be the more complete player one day, but as of right now, he's right. Cabrera is that step ahead of Milledge right now. He would have been sent down, and a trade for Abreu or Burrell would have happened if he wasn't MLB caliber at this point.
First of all: yes, I am absolutely biased against the Yankees, infact I view the entire organization as the physical manifestation of lucifer.

and the point is less about whether Cabrera is major league caliber than that it's unfair to say he's better than the 'recently sent down milledge' when Cabrera's bounced up and down between the bigs and tripple A a few times and it's only now that he's stuck (and he was brought up because of injury, not because he beat down the doors.) This was Milledge's first call up, and while there where cerntainly gorwing pains, there where also several flashes of briliance and there's little doubt that he'll stick soon.

Cabrera is better than Milledge in the same way that Dom Moore is better than Brandon Dubinsky. He's a nice defensive player whose had more time to mature at the major league level, but no one in they're right mind would take Moore over Dubinsky or Cabrera over Milledge.


Last edited by xander: 07-04-2006 at 02:15 AM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:21 AM
  #27
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
I'm talking about here and now. Right now Cabrera IS better than Milledge. You have not watched the Yankees enough. Cabrera is a good player and one of the reasons the Yankees aren't completely out of first place right now. Milledge is not good enough to be in the majors yet. I am not saying that Cabrera has more talent or that he'll end up being the better player overall. What I am saying is that Cabrera is better than Milledge and it's not really like comparing Moore to Dubinsky at all. Dubinsky has yet to even play in the NHL and Moore has been in the NHL for a few years.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:27 AM
  #28
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,815
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
2.2 billion dollar !
wouldn't surprise me with the yanks !

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:31 AM
  #29
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
I'm talking about here and now. Right now Cabrera IS better than Milledge. You have not watched the Yankees enough. Cabrera is a good player and one of the reasons the Yankees aren't completely out of first place right now. Milledge is not good enough to be in the majors yet. I am not saying that Cabrera has more talent or that he'll end up being the better player overall. What I am saying is that Cabrera is better than Milledge and it's not really like comparing Moore to Dubinsky at all. Dubinsky has yet to even play in the NHL and Moore has been in the NHL for a few years.
Moore played 5 games in 04-05, so i think one year's a pretty good estimate.

Listen, my point isn't that Cabrera's an awful player, but that saying somthing like: 'he's played better than the recently demoted Lastings Milledge' isn't a fair statement because Cabrera got demoted once or twice as well and most Yankee fans whern't comfortable with him until very recently.

This was Milledge's first call up, so it's just not a fair comparison. Cabrera's had more time to learn at the majors and his record isn't perfect either. And Milledge didn't exactly fall on his face.

Milledge didn't play any worse in this stint than Cabrera did when he was first called up.

And he certainly flashed more potential than Cabrera did durring his first call up.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:03 AM
  #30
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Are you kidding?

Cabrera has nice tools but he doesn't compare to Lastings Milledge. My point is he was the next Manram or some other superstar (see post above) but clearly is not.

There are many high profiled signings that have never resulted in anything.
Milledge may be rated higher but he was definetly over matched after the first week or so. I'm not saying Cabrera is a superstar but he's WON games for the Yankees with his bat and DEFINETLY his defense. Cabrera was leading the league in outfield assists and he had only played a month. Who can forget that catch against Boston.

Milledge can bomb just as easily as you say other "high profile" players can bomb.

The difference is that Cabrera is doing it at the Major league level while Milledge is back in the minors needing more seasoning.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:26 AM
  #31
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingasitseems View Post
Cabrera has already proven himself to being MLB caliber while Milledge hasn't. Maybe in the future he won't compare to him, but right now, Cabrera is the better player.

I think Drew Henson decided to play football instead.
Um Milledge hasn't? Milledge did as well as Cabrera has done. Please stick to sports you might know something about.


Drew Henson decided to play football because he was a BUST in baseball.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 09:27 AM
  #32
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Milledge may be rated higher but he was definetly over matched after the first week or so. I'm not saying Cabrera is a superstar but he's WON games for the Yankees with his bat and DEFINETLY his defense. Cabrera was leading the league in outfield assists and he had only played a month. Who can forget that catch against Boston.

Milledge can bomb just as easily as you say other "high profile" players can bomb.

The difference is that Cabrera is doing it at the Major league level while Milledge is back in the minors needing more seasoning.
It's not like Cabrera is tearing it up in the big leagues. Milledge was up for 2-3 weeks. Please shut up.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 07-04-2006 at 09:36 AM.
in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 10:50 AM
  #33
Its a PP Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Coming from a Yankees fan, I'd rather have Milledge. Cabrera isn't on anyone's radar except the Yankees. That's not to say he's a bad player, he just hasn't shown anything special at any level. He's an average propect whereas Milledge is highly sought after by every team in baseball and for good reason.

Its a PP Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
  #34
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Um Milledge hasn't? Milledge did as well as Cabrera has done. Please stick to sports you might know something about.
Don't be rude. Cabrera is better than Milledge right now. How can anyone even possibly deny that? In the future, Milledge will most likely be the better player unless he's a bust (I'm doubting that, though). Like someone else has said, Milledge has only been called up once, so he hasn't had enough opportunity to get used to the Majors. Cabrera has been up for months. When the Yanks' injured players come back, Cabrera will be kept in the majors because he can play at that level. I can't say the same for Milledge. His recent mess-ups at Fenway isn't exactly helping his case either (though who could blame him? the green monster is so obnoxious looking).

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
  #35
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
It's not like Cabrera is tearing it up in the big leagues. Milledge was up for 2-3 weeks. Please shut up.
Okay, the blind Millidge support and blind Cabrera bashing has to stop. There are clearly some Mets fans on here that are of the I'm-a-Mets-fan-and-therefore-hate-the-Yankees variety. Personally, I'm a Yankees fan that rather likes the Mets. In fact, I root for them against any team that doesn't play in the Bronx and I'll admit that I sometimes find myself more drawn to Mets broadcasts because a) I HATE Michael Kay and b) Reyes/Wright/Beltran are SO fun to watch play baseball.

Now, having said that... STOP IT. Milledge showed flashes while he was up, but speaking realistically, all he truly did positivilely for the team was a couple of big HRs. He only batted .233, his OBP was an AWFUL .287 and was it one, or was it two games he lost for the Mets against the Red Sox because he was so terrible in LF? His DOB is 4/5/1985 and at AAA this year in 182 ABs his stats are BA .291, HR 4, RBI 19, 8 SB, 32 R and walks to Ks are 32/42.

Cabrera with a DOB of 8/11/1984 is ONLY 8 MONTHS OLDER than Milledge. Like Milledge, he's only up because of injuries. Unlike Milledge, he's going to stick in the majors this year. Yes, he looked lost during his cup of coffee last year (at only 20 years old) and for his first couple of games this year. He still misses the cut-off man occasionally and makes other rookie mistakes, BUT... he was hitting up near .300 for most of the year, before an extended slump dropped him down below .250 briefly, and has since adjusted and is on fire again over the last 10 days. His average now stands at .261 - but importantly, even while slumping he was still getting on base and his OBP for the year is 60 points higher than Milledge's at .347. He is rounding into form as an excellent defender and is tied for the league lead in OF assists, despite playing only 48 games in the majors. And, if you look at his AAA numbers before the call-up, he was leaps and bounds ahead of Milledge: AB 122, BA .385, HR 4, RBI 24, SB 3, 19 R with a BB/K of 10/9. .385!

Now, please understand - I am NOT saying that Cabrera will be a better long-term pro than Milledge. I think Milledge has the potential to be a superstar and I see Melky's ceiling (if he gets that far) as a really good OF. But take the orange and blue colored glasses off and view the current reality... realistically. Okay?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:28 PM
  #36
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Thank you. I'm not saying Cabrera will be better than Milledge in the long run either. Milledge has the more talent and should grow to be the better player. However, to actually say that Milledge is better than Cabrera now is just complete Mets fan bias.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:49 PM
  #37
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 81,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
First of all: yes, I am absolutely biased against the Yankees, infact I view the entire organization as the physical manifestation of lucifer.

and the point is less about whether Cabrera is major league caliber than that it's unfair to say he's better than the 'recently sent down milledge' when Cabrera's bounced up and down between the bigs and tripple A a few times and it's only now that he's stuck (and he was brought up because of injury, not because he beat down the doors.) This was Milledge's first call up, and while there where cerntainly gorwing pains, there where also several flashes of briliance and there's little doubt that he'll stick soon.

Cabrera is better than Milledge in the same way that Dom Moore is better than Brandon Dubinsky. He's a nice defensive player whose had more time to mature at the major league level, but no one in they're right mind would take Moore over Dubinsky or Cabrera over Milledge.



Ever since that "catch", Yankee fans have been overrating Cabrera non-stop.

It's boderline ridiculous.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
I still think there should be a section of people at MSG behind the visiting bench, in curly wigs, and dark rimmed glasses, calling themselves the Pidtophiles. - Zamboner
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:51 PM
  #38
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 81,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
Coming from a Yankees fan, I'd rather have Milledge. Cabrera isn't on anyone's radar except the Yankees. That's not to say he's a bad player, he just hasn't shown anything special at any level. He's an average propect whereas Milledge is highly sought after by every team in baseball and for good reason.


Nice to see some SANE Yankees fans.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
  #39
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post


Ever since that "catch", Yankee fans have been overrating Cabrera non-stop.

It's boderline ridiculous.
No they haven't. Infact i bet you can't find 10 yankee fans that really believe Cabera is better than Milledge right now..

What's borderline ridicoulous are Met fans that think half a season in first place means there team matters.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:56 PM
  #40
ECL
Very slippery slope
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 81,424
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
No they haven't. Infact i bet you can't find 10 yankee fans that really believe Cabera is better than Milledge right now..

What's borderline ridicoulous are Met fans that think half a season in first place means there team matters.
I hear it all the time from my Yankee fan friends. Cabrera has been overrated to the point of ridiculousness. It's been insane lately.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:59 PM
  #41
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,478
vCash: 500
Well, we all knew Jesus was on their side...

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:02 PM
  #42
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I hear it all the time from my Yankee fan friends. Cabrera has been overrated to the point of ridiculousness. It's been insane lately.
Than tell these friends they are morons and move on to something else. Cabrera is the second coming of Dion James. A nice player but not somebody that has future all star written all over him.

The sky is the limit for Lastings. The only thing that can hold Milledge back is himself.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
  #43
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
[QUOTE=Son of Steinbrenner;5916959]No they haven't. Infact i bet you can't find 10 yankee fans that really believe Cabera is better than Milledge right now..

What's borderline ridicoulous are Met fans that think half a season in first place means there team matters.[/QUOTE]

That is a terrible comment.

Lundqvist102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
  #44
The New Originals
Registered User
 
The New Originals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: A.V. Land
Country: United States
Posts: 5,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I hear it all the time from my Yankee fan friends. Cabrera has been overrated to the point of ridiculousness. It's been insane lately.
Cabrera is a good player. Don't listen to your friends if they start saying things like "he's better than Manny!" or anything like that. Cabrera will never be one of the best in the game. He is good, though. People that don't watch the Yankees often underrate Cabrera just as much as some overrate him. He is a valuable part of the Yankees right now. It's laughable that anyone would think Milledge is better than Cabrera right now. It's a realistic prediction to say that a year or two down the line, Milledge will be better than Cabrera.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:07 PM
  #45
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Lundqvist102;5917120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
No they haven't. Infact i bet you can't find 10 yankee fans that really believe Cabera is better than Milledge right now..

What's borderline ridicoulous are Met fans that think half a season in first place means there team matters.[/QUOTE]

That is a terrible comment.
Yankee fans wonder why they're so universally hated...

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:45 PM
  #46
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,062
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=xander;5918666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist102 View Post

Yankee fans wonder why they're so universally hated...
Hey, I can appreciate that was a poor comment - but that's one annoying Yankee comment vs. a bunch of Mets fans who still haven't admitted that they're flat out wrong in the Milledge vs. Cabrera as of 2006 debate. (NOT the long term potential debate, but that Cabrera is ready for the majors and Milledge ain't as of right now.)

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 03:53 PM
  #47
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=BrooklynRangerFan;5919226]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post

Hey, I can appreciate that was a poor comment - but that's one annoying Yankee comment vs. a bunch of Mets fans who still haven't admitted that they're flat out wrong in the Milledge vs. Cabrera as of 2006 debate. (NOT the long term potential debate, but that Cabrera is ready for the majors and Milledge ain't as of right now.)
Hey, I've already said that right now Cabrera is a the more better player, he's certainly more reliable. My argument was that it's unfair to compare them because Cabrera's just had alot more seasoning and opertunites at this point

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
  #48
HF_Rangers
Registered User
 
HF_Rangers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Edinboro
Country: United States
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
What's borderline ridicoulous are Met fans that think half a season in first place means there team matters.
Not a bad comment at all, and I'm a Mets fan.

Some Mets fans are writing off the season now and waiting until September, but there's half of a season to play and anything can happen. The division is won when the division is won, it's that simple.

I'm worried over the streak the Mets have right now, and considering the Mets almost lost to the Pirates again yesterday is cause for some concern. The rotation is in shambles, Pedro's hurt, and the bats go on cold streaks at certain times. Granted, I'm thrilled with the huge lead in the NL East, but the division is just bad and nothing to get too excited over. The team needs another starter because Glavine, Trax, Duque and two unknowns will not cut it.

I do wish the papers would put Met wins on the back page rather than Mets losses, I do get the feeling that they revel in Mets failures.

HF_Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:37 PM
  #49
Forever Blue
Registered User
 
Forever Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
puhhlease and last season the Mets signed Ted Williams with speed. You clearly don't have access to these scouts.
I work for an independant publication and scout baseball (mostly the Yankees system) for a living, and I talk to scouts that work for MLB teams all the time. Three different scouts I talked to that work for MLB teams all told me the same exact thing about Tabata.

And besides, if you knew anything, you would realize what player comparisons are all about. Comparing a player to Manny Ramirez doesn't mean that the player will be as good as he is. But when you watch Tabata, his stance, swing, etc., the first player he would remind you of would be Ramirez. The fact that he has similar hitting traits to Ramirez at a young age also supports that comparison. Also, I believe it was in the NY Post a few months ago, Joel Sherman received the same information from one of the scouts that I have spoken to.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
  #50
Forever Blue
Registered User
 
Forever Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
1 out of 8 international signed players ages 16-17 make it









to AAA (seriously)
The vast majority of players who receive a bonus of over $500,000 make it not only to AAA, but to the majors. I'm not talking about older players like Contreras, I'm speaking of players 17 and under.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.