HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Markov

Old
07-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Islesman819

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Islesman819
Danny Markov

Hey hows it going, Islanders fan here but I come in peace. I have a few questions if some of you would like to answer, it would be greatly appreciated. First off how was Danny Markov for you this season? He missed around 15+ games so is he injury prone? Would he be a solid signing? Also this is off topic but what is your thoughts on Brendan Witt. Thanks for your help

-Ed

Islesman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesman819 View Post
Hey hows it going, Islanders fan here but I come in peace. I have a few questions if some of you would like to answer, it would be greatly appreciated. First off how was Danny Markov for you this season? He missed around 15+ games so is he injury prone? Would he be a solid signing? Also this is off topic but what is your thoughts on Brendan Witt. Thanks for your help

-Ed
1. Markov

He's great when he's healthy, he's just not healthy enough. Look back over his career...he's usually in the 60 games or below range. I loved the guy, and wish he could have stayed healthy for us, but he didn't, and that's likely why he's gone.

2. Witt

Witt was a little misused here. He's not a guy you want out playing top pairing minutes against top forwards. If he plays as a number 4 against opposing second lines\on the PK, I think he'll be a good signing for you. I would have liked to have had him back in a lesser role, but such is life.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Islesman819

Send a message via AIM to Islesman819
As of right now it seems he is going to be a top 4 guy. We are probally going to get another D-man such as Markov so I see Witt being about our 3rd best defender. Hopefully he pans out. I looked at Markov's stats and they got me worried, but he is definitely a great defensemen when healthy. Its looking like its either Spacek or Markov for us but who knows. Thanks for the help and good luck this season, Kariya + Sullivan = Off to the Oilers board to find out about Spacek.

Islesman819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:37 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Also this is off topic but what is your thoughts on Brendan Witt. Thanks for your help

-Ed
My thoughts on Brendan Witt are these: He's very slow afoot. This leads to a lot of problems because the best players in the NHL are much faster, even the large ones. Being a step behind, he takes a lot of penalties. Some are stupid and unnecessary, many are the result of him being out of position.

Because of this, it's important not to line him up at ES against the best line on the opposing team. It would seem like common sense, but Barry Trotz couldn't resist matching him up against the other teams top line. It's a position that he will fail in 9 times out of 10.

Putting him on the second pairing, where the opposing players are usually not as dynamic, is a great step towards effectively using Witt. He's a physical guy who will try his hardest. He's a stout penalty killer who can eat up significant minutes down a man. He won't get bullied by anyone, and he will stand up for his teammates. And he's suppposedly a great lockerroom presence.

Hopefully Nolan uses him properly and puts him on the second pairing with a really solid defenseman. If so, you'll have a good #4 on your hands. If not, you are always welcome to come onto our boards to complain. We'll be your crying shoulder.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 04:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As of right now it seems he is going to be a top 4 guy. We are probally going to get another D-man such as Markov so I see Witt being about our 3rd best defender. Hopefully he pans out. I looked at Markov's stats and they got me worried, but he is definitely a great defensemen when healthy. Its looking like its either Spacek or Markov for us but who knows. Thanks for the help and good luck this season, Kariya + Sullivan = Off to the Oilers board to find out about Spacek.
IMHO opinion Witt is better than Markov.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote