HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 12:01 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

vCash: 500
So is Seattle really going to get the Coyotes? Is that the most likely thing to happen?

Old
02-05-2013, 12:50 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
So is Seattle really going to get the Coyotes? Is that the most likely thing to happen?
Depends on who you ask. If the Yotes do move, expect to see a bidding war between Seattle and Quebec City.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Depends on who you ask. If the Yotes do move, expect to see a bidding war between Seattle and Quebec City.
Definitely depends on who you ask, like NFS said. If the Coyotes do end up relocating and the NHL has their way, they will obviously want to relocate to Seattle so they can save QC and perhaps Toronto 2 for expansion, because then they can basically extort well over half a billion combined out of those two cities combined.

Old
02-05-2013, 01:36 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Not sure, several of the national hockey guys think if the Kings go to Seattle and they get a arena started, that the Yotes might end up there, something about being able to get more $$$$ out of GTA2/Quebec for the expansion teams.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
silvercanuck

I don't think Quebec is a shoo-in to get the Coyotes like many seem to think. The league could have moved the team to the Colisee last summer. They would have got the asking price and washed their hands of this mess but they decided to go with a pseudo owner and take their losses instead. There has to be a reason for that. Surely the league must know what everyone else knows about Phoenix. The team is clearly not viable in Glendale but the NHL carries on.

The NHL probably wants more arena options open before they move the team and when that happens predicting where teams will go wont be so easy. Like every major league in NA, the NHL wants more shiny new arenas than available teams. Under that scenario they can jack relocation fees up and hold a gun to the head of any city that balks at their demands. It'll be like the late 90's in Canada all over again.

Old
02-05-2013, 03:42 PM
MoreOrr
B4

To me, I'm still not at all convinced that Markham/Hamilton is a sure thing, expansion or otherwise. Therefore, if the League has future plans for expansion, I'd think they'd be eying QC and Seattle. So that said, if the Coyotes need to be relocated and if there is somehow a possible other alternative to QC and Seattle, then I think the Coyotes could end up in that other not so obvious location at the moment.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I don't think Quebec is a shoo-in to get the Coyotes like many seem to think. The league could have moved the team to the Colisee last summer. They would have got the asking price and washed their hands of this mess but they decided to go with a pseudo owner and take their losses instead. There has to be a reason for that.
The longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to think the NHL stayed one extra year in Glendale (rather than just move the Coyotes to QC last summer) to allow time for Chris Hansen to buy the Sacramento Kings and get the affairs in order for the new Seattle arena. It just seems too coincidental to me, especially given all of the "milk-Markham-and-QC-for-expansion-fees" theories coming from hockey journalists all over.

I certainly feel for Coyotes fans right now, especially since they're going to be hearing relocation stories every day until the season is over. Making matters worse is that nothing is going to develop until mid-April at the earliest:

NBA regular season ends on 4/17. Kings won't make the Playoffs.
NBA Board of Governors meetings are on 4/18 and 4/19. BOG is expected to approve the sale of the Kings to Hansen.
NHL regular season ends on 4/27. If the Coyotes miss the Playoffs, the relocation wheels will start turning instantly.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
The longer this goes on, the more I'm starting to think the NHL stayed one extra year in Glendale (rather than just move the Coyotes to QC last summer) to allow time for Chris Hansen to buy the Sacramento Kings and get the affairs in order for the new Seattle arena. It just seems too coincidental to me, especially given all of the "milk-Markham-and-QC-for-expansion-fees" theories coming from hockey journalists all over.

I certainly feel for Coyotes fans right now, especially since they're going to be hearing relocation stories every day until the season is over. Making matters worse is that nothing is going to develop until mid-April at the earliest:

NBA Board of Governors meetings are on 4/18 and 4/19. BOG is expected to approve the sale of the Kings to Hansen.
NHL regular season ends on 4/27. If the Coyotes miss the Playoffs, the relocation wheels will start turning instantly.
It wouldn't mattered if the sale was approved during the ASG game or not. The earliest they could vote on relocation would been April BOG meeting.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:21 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post

a) the players and front office personnel are immune, to anything off-ice, Blue Goose, has been since BK, because this includes all contracts, not just the Coyotes, but their prospects, be it Portland, Gwinnett, or Prescott Valley, where all 3 franchises are currently, you also forget that because of the scheduling, the draft is being held the 28/29 of April, w/ Round 1 of the Playoffs commences on the 30th, so there may not be an immediate announcement, just as there was before the CF appearance last season, no decision will be made until July at the earliest, if the SC Finals go 7. the NBA timeline is spot on.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:55 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
AP: NBA Commissioner David Stern says Seattle group has filed relocation paperwork to move #NBAKings to Pacific Northwest
https://twitter.com/Ryan_Lillis/stat...19817037561857

Quote:
Sacramento-Seattle tug of war: There wasn't much news here. Stern said he doesn't imagine there will be a bidding war between the respective groups in Seattle and Sacramento who hope to purchase the Kings from the Maloof family and that the matter will be settled by the league. After a Seattle group led by Chris Hansen put together an offer to purchase the team in January, Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson said he would gather potential local owners to put together a package to purchase the team, build a new stadium, and keep it there.

As of Tuesday, no Sacramento group had been assembled, but Stern said he's expecting both group to put forth packages. He said the appropriate committees will consider both offers and look at factors like support for the team in the prior city and the likelihood of proposed buildings – Seattle also has pledged to build a new arena – being built.
http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/02/06/...blockID=860085

Quote:
NBA Commissioner David Stern says the group that has reached agreement to purchase the Sacramento Kings has formally filed to relocate the franchise to Seattle.

Stern spoke on Wednesday night in Minneapolis before the Timberwolves hosted San Antonio. He called the Seattle group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, "very strong," and that the appropriate committees have been convened to look over the proposed sale of the Kings and the prospective move to Seattle.

The deadline for teams to file for relocation is March 1. It's been expected that the Hansen/Ballmer group would file to move the team to Seattle, but Stern's comments were the first time that decision has been verified.
http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...eattle-1.68443

Old
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Just to add substance

Quote:
Stern spoke on Wednesday night in Minneapolis before the Timberwolves hosted San Antonio. He called the Seattle group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, "very strong," and that the appropriate committees have been convened to look over the proposed sale of the Kings and the prospective move to Seattle.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/89...led-relocation

Quote:
Speaking at the annual State of Downtown breakfast on Tuesday, Johnson said he has received approval from NBA Commissioner David Stern to present a counteroffer to the league from buyers who would keep the team in Sacramento. He said the city is in a "six-week sprint" to put together a proposal for the NBA's Board of Governors to consider over a potential sale and relocation to Seattle.
http://www.nwcn.com/sports/sonics/Sa...186984201.html

Old
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

No way the BOG turns down Hansen

Old
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Shaz

Quote:
(AP) - David Stern says group that has reached agreement to purchase Kings has filed to relocate the franchise to Seattle. #NBASeattle”
And here is the train moving along the tracks

Old
02-06-2013, 07:28 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

http://seattlesportscentral.com/othe...hl-team-names/

Top 4 choices according to the poll- thunderbirds, kraken, stealth, Sasquatch.

Can I proceed to vomit?

Old
02-06-2013, 07:32 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post

Can I proceed to vomit?
Apparently no one got the memo about this being a professional team. Would be a nice nod to see the Metros name come back.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:

Can I proceed to vomit?
Some of those are just awful. The fan suggested names are worse. No Totems, Samurai? Blizzard? Sound? Sweet Jesus those are bad!

I think the only ones I liked from the fan suggested team names were Pacifics, Emeralds and Metropolitans, but I think the Pacifics/Emeralds would work far better for a baseball team. Actually used both of them in a fantasy baseball sim, so that may be why I like them.

Edit: I think I just saw the worst one: Grizzlys. Not Grizzlies, Grizzlys. Honestly? Pathetic.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Apparently no one got the memo about this being a professional team. Would be a nice nod to see the Metros name come back.
Steelhead/sockeye not even a option

Old
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
SaintPatrick33
Conn Smythe Winner

Seattle Cascades maybe? Dunno.....

Old
02-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
Quote:

Can I proceed to vomit?
So glad these polls have no bearing in the actual naming of the team. I like Metros myself, connect the team to the Stanley Cup from 1917.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Confucius

So it appears the NBA has no qualms about running out on their fans.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
gmjevtwa

Quote:

Can I proceed to vomit?
That site should have added the following disclaimer:
"For entertainment purposes only."

Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Nice to see the Thunderbirds leading a fan poll. Sure, they'd have to buy out the WHL team for the name, but that'd be the leading contender in my book.

And I really hate to say it, but.... I'm actually okay with the idea of the Seattle Kraken....

Old
02-06-2013, 10:29 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Nice to see the Thunderbirds leading a fan poll. Sure, they'd have to buy out the WHL team for the name, but that'd be the leading contender in my book.

And I really hate to say it, but.... I'm actually okay with the idea of the Seattle Kraken....
Absolutely, same here. Thunderbirds and Winterhawks, two great names and cities to join the NHL.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:

Can I proceed to vomit?
Must be a Canadian who suggested the bolded one, maybe a Calgary native ?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrr View Post
Absolutely, same here. Thunderbirds and Winterhawks, two great names and cities to join the NHL.
I don't see how Winterhawks is a great name.

Closed Thread