HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A fun Pronger question...

Old
07-03-2006, 12:03 PM
JussiM

vCash: 500
The Anaheim Ducks have traded one roster player, one non-roster player and several conditional high-end draft picks to the Oilers in exchange for Pronger.

Edit: TSN took Lupul out of it?

Last edited by JussiM: 07-03-2006 at 12:17 PM.
JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Not quite Radulov Weber and Hartnell is it...

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Radulov for Czar*

guess this thread can be closed?

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
One of the negatives about being a small market team is that deals like this can't really happen. Despite having 10 million in cap room, we knew it wouldn't be happening because we refuse to spend up to the cap. Hard to believe that Edmonton would take that deal unless there was very little else on the table. I would imagine the interest from Florida, etc. was nothing more than lukewarm.

That's the type of deal that gets GMs fired. It wasn't a bad deal, just that you are subtracting an all-world player for a nice player and a handful of picks/prospects that won't help the team on any significant level for several years. If Edmonton was to ever to be a better team as a result of this trade, it wouldn't occur for a half-decade.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:03 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Not quite Radulov Weber and Hartnell is it...
LOL great point. Latest TSN report says the deal is Pronger for Lupul, Smid, 2007 1st round pick, a conditional 1st round pick, and a 2008 2nd round pick.

Considering all the talent Anaheim has in their system (Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, etc.) I'm pretty impressed that the Ducks were able to give up more draft picks than players. With Niedermayer and Pronger, plus the young group of offensive players, the Ducks should be a lock to make the playoffs the next two seasons so those draft picks won't be very high.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:19 PM
dulzhok

As expected, the return wasn't as good as EDM fans were expecting.

Lupul's allright, but I would've rather had Getzlaf or Ryan. Smid seems likely a pretty risky prospect to me. The first round pick will likely be a late 1st.

The Niedermayer/Progner combination is one of the more interesting combos in recent history.

Seems like the West is continuing to get stronger. All the big name west players are staying in the West (Arnott, Mitchell, Progner, Blake, etc) while we've added a few from the east (McKee, Johnson, Luongo, Parrish, etc).... not the way I would've liked it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Lupul's allright, but I would've rather had Getzlaf or Ryan. Smid seems likely a pretty risky prospect to me. The first round pick will likely be a late 1st.

The Niedermayer/Progner combination is one of the more interesting combos in recent history.

Seems like the West is continuing to get stronger. All the big name west players are staying in the West (Arnott, Mitchell, Progner, Blake, etc) while we've added a few from the east (McKee, Johnson, Luongo, Parrish, etc).... not the way I would've liked it.
That's a good point about the West getting stronger. For example, just from teams that missed the playoffs last season: Luongo makes Vancouver a dangerous team again, Minnesota adds Demitra/Parrish/Defensive Depth, LA Kings bring on Rob Blake and have tons of young talent, and even Phoenix added Ed Jovo.

The East may have won the last two Cups but the West is still the stronger conference IMO.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Jarnberg

I wonder if Poile even made a call to Edmonton to see if a deal could be worked out. Maybe he just assumed Edmonton would turn us down and didn't call them...

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 01:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
I wonder if Poile even made a call to Edmonton to see if a deal could be worked out. Maybe he just assumed Edmonton would turn us down and didn't call them...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:34 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger View Post
One of the saddest, yet most profound posts in recent memory.....

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2006, 08:44 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick View Post
One of the saddest, yet most profound posts in recent memory.....
This seriously bothers me because you know....it probably is true.

07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
R A D I C K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

Interesting. I think this is actually a good deal for Edmonton. My understanding of Smid is that he's an excellent defensive prospect. Lupul's only 22 and will probably score upwards of 65 points next year. And the possibility of two #1s and a #2 is going to keep Edmonton young, inexpensive and contending for a long time.

If you look at the history of Edmonton you know that they can't keep players past a certain salary point (see Bill Guerin). They're small market. They don't want Teemu Selanne back in a trade. They want young potential stars. I think they got exactly what any reasonable fan would have expected. And now they're far enough under the cap that they can still address the power play vaccuum created by Pronger's departure.

R A D I C K is offline   Reply With Quote