HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 08:42 PM
kihei

vCash: 2000
Yeah, this is looking like a deal I definitely don't want to happen. Kulemin is just fine right where he is.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
because 99% of fans still see him as the 30 goal scorer not the third liner he actually is.
Riiiight

Old
02-06-2013, 08:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Niskanen is an interesting piece..

Not saying I'd do it though.
I don't know that Shero would either. I only mentioned him if we're talking about being an immediate upgrade somewhere the Leafs need help. IMO, you could use help on defense. Niskanen wouldn't be the shut down guy you'd love to get, but, as noted, he'd be 5th defenseman at worst. Guy was with Letang and playing quite nicely until he got hurt.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Done!
The Leafs aren't in the need for another damned young defenseman.

We need to concentrate on Centers and Goalies at this point, or maybe a high-end power forward winger.

And I doubt Pittsburgh will move Neal.

Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Pittsburgh isn't going to trade any roster players. They have a lot of high end defensive prospects & picks if they were going make move on him.
You could say the exact same thing about Toronto.

Reality is, at this point, nobody's trading roster players, except for other team's roster players.

Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Tangradi & 1st is my abs MAX I would offer to take a chance on him not becoming Poni 2.0
I doubt Tangradi interests anyone at this point.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
He isn't worth Maatta, a second and Bluegger. That is too much. I value second round picks in this draft.
Yeah, and we value NHL wingers.

Anyway, at this point, I don't want anything out of the Pens farm system.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Kulemin's size is probably one of the reasons we've won 5 games this year.

Obviously, the offensive production hasn't been there, but we don't have anyone to replace him.

One could reasonably conclude that the Pens would value Kulemin greater than the Leafs because of his chemistry with Malkin, but that value isn't some defensive prospect with absolutely no hope of playing a top 4 role in the NHL this year or next.

Realistically, if a team wants Kulemin, they're going to have to give up something valuable off their roster. The only deal to be made here is a hockey trade, not a futures deal. Brandon Sutter is somebody that might get the conversation going, as would Simon Despres, but when you dive deeper, there certainly doesn't seem to be a deal here.

If the Leafs were to trade Kulemin, they'd be looking for a player exactly like him.... maybe a deal along the lines of Kulemin + Holzer for Despres + Kennedy... but I suspect Pens fans wouldn't be too happy with that deal, and even though Despres is 6'4, he may not be suited to a defensive core where Gardiner & Rielly are a huge part of the plan.
Most Pens fans, myself included, would NOT be happy about that deal.

BUT, with Niskanen coming back, that absolutely is a deal that I could see Ray Shero making.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Kulemin's size is probably one of the reasons we've won 5 games this year.

Obviously, the offensive production hasn't been there, but we don't have anyone to replace him.

One could reasonably conclude that the Pens would value Kulemin greater than the Leafs because of his chemistry with Malkin, but that value isn't some defensive prospect with absolutely no hope of playing a top 4 role in the NHL this year or next.

Realistically, if a team wants Kulemin, they're going to have to give up something valuable off their roster. The only deal to be made here is a hockey trade, not a futures deal. Brandon Sutter is somebody that might get the conversation going, as would Simon Despres, but when you dive deeper, there certainly doesn't seem to be a deal here.

If the Leafs were to trade Kulemin, they'd be looking for a player exactly like him.... maybe a deal along the lines of Kulemin + Holzer for Despres + Kennedy... but I suspect Pens fans wouldn't be too happy with that deal, and even though Despres is 6'4, he may not be suited to a defensive core where Gardiner & Rielly are a huge part of the plan.
Kulemin was far and away our worst player against Carolina. He kills offense. I'm not sure what you're watching.

I always wondered about Kuly's 2011. His shot% and garbage goals were frightening, but I ignored it. I can't do that anymore based on what I've seen over the last year and a half. The guy is a lost cause in the offensive zone.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post

We need to concentrate on Centers and Goalies at this point, or maybe a high-end power forward winger.

I'll take Reimer over anyone on our D not named Gardiner.

I mean seriously, we have to add to every part of our roster. Why would you shy away from the chance to add a promising D prospect?

Old
02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
kihei

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Kulemin was far and away our worst player against Carolina. He kills offense. I'm not sure what you're watching.

I always wondered about Kuly's 2011. His shot% and garbage goals were frightening, but I ignored it. I can't do that anymore based on what I've seen over the last year and a half. The guy is a lost cause in the offensive zone.
I find this estimation incomprehensible.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post

Kulemin's line hasn't been about offence. It's been about maintaining puck possession, and keeping the opposing team's stars off the board. Something the Leafs have done a pretty good job of this year.

Even if Kulemin doesn't score 30 goals ever again, he doesn't need to. He's a $2.8m forward who excels defensively and is strong on the puck.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Gotye View Post

Neal for Kulemin? not even close.

Last season, Neal 40G 41A, 81P in 80 GP, keep dreaming.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
marty111

Only think I'd be looking at is:

Brandon Sutter
???

Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Bozak

Old
02-06-2013, 08:53 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I would take this deal or:

Kulemin + Blacker for Maata + 2nd
Kulemin is worth more than Maata.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Kulemin's line hasn't been about offence. It's been about maintaining puck possession, and keeping the opposing team's stars off the board. Something the Leafs have done a pretty good job of this year.

Even if Kulemin doesn't score 30 goals ever again, he doesn't need to. He's a $2.8m forward who excels defensively and is strong on the puck.
You mentioned this earlier, so I'll ask you:

Could you, as a Leafs fan, see Nonis doing Kulemin + Holzer for Kennedy + Despres?

As a Pens fan, I could see Shero doing that when Niskanen returns.

Most Pens fans would be steamed, I think, and I'd be far from happy myself, but I really could see Shero making a deal like the one you floated.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post

Brandon Sutter
???

Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Bozak
What about seanlinden's (I believe he's a Leafs fan) Kulemin + Holzer for Kennedy + Despres?

Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
HappyGilmourr

LOL at Pens fans who think it would cost anything less then Suter +... And I wouldn't even consider that. When they had J.Staal I wanted Staal for Kulemin + Kadri (which is a better return then they got) now there is literally nothing I would want outside the obvious untouchables. We love Kulemin he's a very important player for us.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:56 PM
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Sutter won't even be in talks; he's simply not available. As for Kulemin... he won't be traded for lesser parts.
/thread

Old
marty111

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
What about seanlinden's (I believe he's a Leafs fan) Kulemin + Holzer for Kennedy + Despres?
Hate it.

Old
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I find this estimation incomprehensible.
I'd love for you to convince me otherwise.
Quote:

Oh there's no doubt, his line is playing the shut down role while also adding offense.

I value an upside prospect like Maata over a year and a half of a defensive player with limited offense.

Old
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post

Brandon Sutter
???

Nikolai Kulemin
Tyler Bozak
then you'll be disappointed if they trade Kulemin and that's not the return you get. Pens aren't trading Sutter.

you can probably get a similar player from another team, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
then you'll be disappointed if they trade Kulemin and that's not the return you get. Pens aren't trading Sutter.

you can probably get a similar player from another team, but i wouldn't hold my breath.
Eh, we could just wait until Kulemin's deal is done for him to sign to play with his buddy Malkin.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
wolffy66

Don't the Pens have enough single digit goal scoring wingers already? I don't see the Pens paying more due to having centers that will create extra scoring chances for the guy. They will do that for a lot of guys(hello Pascal Dupuis). And last I checked this isnt the KHL anyway.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
Wow. A lot of Leaf fans are delusional.
i say let them keep Kulemin for now and possibly lose him for nothing in July. i don't think he's worth what some Leafs fans think he's worth just based on the fact that he had one 30 goal season.

Closed Thread