HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pens eyeing Kulemin

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 07:59 PM
  #351
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
you can probably get a similar player from another team [kulemin], but i wouldn't hold my breath.
/thread

marty111 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
  #352
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
I'm shocked at my fellow fans.

Kulemin is SO replaceable and I tend to overrate our players..

Anth93 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
  #353
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You mentioned this earlier, so I'll ask you:

Could you, as a Leafs fan, see Nonis doing Kulemin + Holzer for Kennedy + Despres?

As a Pens fan, I could see Shero doing that when Niskanen returns.

Most Pens fans would be steamed, I think, and I'd be far from happy myself, but I really could see Shero making a deal like the one you floated.
Realistically, yes. Certainly not easy to give up a guy who's proven the ability to score 30 goals with size, but if he's not going to do that again for our franchise, his value may be best used elsewhere.

To me, the question isn't so much about value or impact on the team, it's about how Despres fits into the team, it's whether or not he can be molded into a shutdown defenceman that fits into our long term organizational need on the blueline. If Nonis feels that is the case, then yes, it's probably a deal that makes sense. The Leafs would position themselves to have one of the youngest and highest upside bluelines in the league next year with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Despres, Liles & Rielly, and still have access to Kennedy who's your prototypical versatile checking line forward.

As for Pens fans being 'steamed', that's generally what happens in hockey trades. They're never no-brainers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
Hate it.
Realistically, Sutter isn't the guy we should be targeting. The guy is not anywhere near ready to be a #1C in this league, and would be no appreciable upgrade over Bozak in the position. Sure, he'd be an upgrade on Kadri in the #3 position, but (at least from my perspective) the idea of having a highly skilled 3rd line playing behind Grabovski seems to be a pretty good idea. You could target him to replace Grabovski, but are the Leafs really in a position to lose experience at centre?? Plus, he hasn't shown anywhere near the offensive output that Grabovski has.... something that is probably pretty important with Bozak/Kadri as the other 2 centres.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
  #354
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 566
Sutter is not a #1 center. We don't need him or need to trade Kulemin.

We have lots of forwards the NHL is interested. I don't see why Leafs would help the pens get two dominant lines unless they overpay.

A1LeafNation is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
  #355
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I'm shocked at my fellow fans.

Kulemin is SO replaceable and I tend to overrate our players..
What he brings to the game is not replaceable by just anyone. His offense? sure, but the other things he brings to the game. Like Staal for us, Sutters a downgrade from him offensivly, but the defense is pretty similar when Staal cared about playing more in a defensive role.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
  #356
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I'd love for you to convince me otherwise.

Oh there's no doubt, his line is playing the shut down role while also adding offense.

I value an upside prospect like Maata over a year and a half of a defensive player with limited offense.
The question is what Nonis values.

That's the trick with trade threads. We overrate our guys and underrate the other team's guys. Sometimes, you'll get people who don't. But, what people rarely do is try to take a step back and, instead of looking at these things as fans, try to look at it from BOTH GM's perspectives.

It's really simple how a deal gets done: Nonis has a minimum he'll take. Shero has a maximum he'll pay. If those two lines cross, then there's potential for a deal. If not, then all of this is academic.

IMO, Shero didn't send his two top scouts to Toronto on Monday for the heck of it. The potential for a deal for someone-- likely Toronto-- is there. Maybe it's MacArthur. Kulemin always is speculated. I wouldn't be stunned if it were Kessel he was thinking about going after.

Or, as happens probably 98% of the time with these things, nothing comes of it.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:03 PM
  #357
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I'm shocked at my fellow fans.

Kulemin is SO replaceable and I tend to overrate our players..
clearly you can't evaluate talent - he's easily our best defensive winger with offensive upside. Why would we throw that away? Kulemin > Suter AINEC

HappyGilmourr is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  #358
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
i say let them keep Kulemin for now and possibly lose him for nothing in July. i don't think he's worth what some Leafs fans think he's worth just based on the fact that he had one 30 goal season.
It's because he's not.

Let them continue to overrate him. He's a good player don't get me wrong, but he's not worth Sutter, let alone Jordan Staal! No idea why some Leafs fans have a hard time understanding that.

Really is no point is discussing this with most of them. Kulemin is valuable to them and the Pens/Shero won't break bank when there will be better options come trade deadline.

Dangles78 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  #359
KIRK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 27,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Realistically, yes. Certainly not easy to give up a guy who's proven the ability to score 30 goals with size, but if he's not going to do that again for our franchise, his value may be best used elsewhere.

To me, the question isn't so much about value or impact on the team, it's about how Despres fits into the team, it's whether or not he can be molded into a shutdown defenceman that fits into our long term organizational need on the blueline. If Nonis feels that is the case, then yes, it's probably a deal that makes sense. The Leafs would position themselves to have one of the youngest and highest upside bluelines in the league next year with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Despres, Liles & Rielly, and still have access to Kennedy who's your prototypical versatile checking line forward.

As for Pens fans being 'steamed', that's generally what happens in hockey trades. They're never no-brainers.



Realistically, Sutter isn't the guy we should be targeting. The guy is not anywhere near ready to be a #1C in this league, and would be no appreciable upgrade over Bozak in the position. Sure, he'd be an upgrade on Kadri in the #3 position, but (at least from my perspective) the idea of having a highly skilled 3rd line playing behind Grabovski seems to be a pretty good idea.
Oh, I agree completely about that. 'Steamed' probably doesn't happen all the time, but it's very rare that a deal happens where both fan bases (or even one) are entirely pleased.

KIRK is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  #360
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
LOL at Pens fans who think it would cost anything less then Suter +... And I wouldn't even consider that. When they had J.Staal I wanted Staal for Kulemin + Kadri (which is a better return then they got) now there is literally nothing I would want outside the obvious untouchables. We love Kulemin he's a very important player for us.
Considering Kulemin is only 27, I see no point in helping out an Eastern Conference team and trading him there unless its a hockey trade. Plus I've grown accustomed to watching the Pens get bounced early, so no use in changing things up.

Stephen is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  #361
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
clearly you can't evaluate talent - he's easily our best defensive winger with offensive upside. Why would we throw that away? Kulemin > Suter AINEC
No Kulemin does not hold more value than SuTTer. Two T's, two!

AINEC? Wow

Dangles78 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  #362
66-29-33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
clearly you can't evaluate talent - he's easily our best defensive winger with offensive upside. Why would we throw that away? Kulemin > Suter AINEC
Clearly you should take your own advice.

66-29-33 is online now  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  #363
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
What he brings to the game is not replaceable by just anyone. His offense? sure, but the other things he brings to the game. Like Staal for us, Sutters a downgrade from him offensivly, but the defense is pretty similar when Staal cared about playing more in a defensive role.
I don't think he's good defensively like people are suggesting. I think it's a way to boost his value and pretend that he's a better player than he is. Sorry, but I'm calling a spade a spade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
clearly you can't evaluate talent - he's easily our best defensive winger with offensive upside. Why would we throw that away? Kulemin > Suter AINEC
I wouldn't trade Kulemin for Suter. I don't even want Suter. I want Maata.

Anth93 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  #364
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
It's because he's not.

Let them continue to overrate him. He's a good player don't get me wrong, but he's not worth Sutter, let alone Jordan Staal! No idea why some Leafs fans have a hard time understanding that.

Really is no point is discussing this with most of them. Kulemin is valuable to them and the Pens/Shero won't break bank when there will be better options come trade deadline.
I didn't realized the game was played on the stat sheet. Sutter is an important part of the Penguins the same way Kulie is an important part of the Maple Leafs. Just leave it at that.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #365
Maximus74
Registered User
 
Maximus74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 297
vCash: 500
Kulemin for Pittsburgh 1rst & 3rd in 2013.

That is the type of overpayment it would require.

Maximus74 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #366
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You mentioned this earlier, so I'll ask you:

Could you, as a Leafs fan, see Nonis doing Kulemin + Holzer for Kennedy + Despres?

As a Pens fan, I could see Shero doing that when Niskanen returns.

Most Pens fans would be steamed, I think, and I'd be far from happy myself, but I really could see Shero making a deal like the one you floated.
Can I just ask you what kind of point you see in Holzer in this deal? Is it just clearing a roster spot/contract for the Leafs or do you think he has any sort of actual worth to the Pens?

Not trying to be negative, honestly asking. I agree with you that it isn`t that out there a proposal, although I wish Shero would not waste the only worthwhile roster player that is tradable (Niskanen OR Despres) on another winger for Malkin, but that is my sense of priorities, which may well be different from the orgs.

TorstenFrings is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #367
marty111
Registered User
 
marty111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Realistically, yes. Certainly not easy to give up a guy who's proven the ability to score 30 goals with size, but if he's not going to do that again for our franchise, his value may be best used elsewhere.

To me, the question isn't so much about value or impact on the team, it's about how Despres fits into the team, it's whether or not he can be molded into a shutdown defenceman that fits into our long term organizational need on the blueline. If Nonis feels that is the case, then yes, it's probably a deal that makes sense. The Leafs would position themselves to have one of the youngest and highest upside bluelines in the league next year with Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Despres, Liles & Rielly, and still have access to Kennedy who's your prototypical versatile checking line forward.

As for Pens fans being 'steamed', that's generally what happens in hockey trades. They're never no-brainers.



Realistically, Sutter isn't the guy we should be targeting. The guy is not anywhere near ready to be a #1C in this league, and would be no appreciable upgrade over Bozak in the position. Sure, he'd be an upgrade on Kadri in the #3 position, but (at least from my perspective) the idea of having a highly skilled 3rd line playing behind Grabovski seems to be a pretty good idea. You could target him to replace Grabovski, but are the Leafs really in a position to lose experience at centre?? Plus, he hasn't shown anywhere near the offensive output that Grabovski has.... something that is probably pretty important with Bozak/Kadri as the other 2 centres.
#1C ???
#2C Kadri
#3C Sutter

marty111 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #368
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Kulemin for Sutter, get it done Burke.

Kershaw is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:10 PM
  #369
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck
 
DoctrSteveBrule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
I wouldn't trade Kulemin for Suter. I don't even want Suter. I want Maata.
can you put the right amount of T's in anything?

DoctrSteveBrule is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  #370
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty111 View Post
#1C ???
#2C Kadri
#3C Sutter
Cart before the horse.

Until we can get a better centre than Grabovski, we need him. As long as we have Grabovski, we need Bozak. As long as we have Bozak & Grabovski, we have little need for Brandon Sutter.

A lineup has to be built from the top down. You don't make a move on the 2nd/3rd lines assuming some other deal at the top of our lineup is going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Can I just ask you what kind of point you see in Holzer in this deal? Is it just clearing a roster spot/contract for the Leafs or do you think he has any sort of actual worth to the Pens?

Not trying to be negative, honestly asking. I agree with you that it isn`t that out there a proposal, although I wish Shero would not waste the only worthwhile roster player that is tradable (Niskanen OR Despres) on another winger for Malkin, but that is my sense of priorities, which may well be different from the orgs.
Backfill the void that losing Despres would create. He's on a 2-way deal and waiver-exempt.

seanlinden is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  #371
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus74 View Post
Kulemin for Pittsburgh 1rst & 3rd in 2013.

That is the type of overpayment it would require.
I'm fine with that as a Pens fan.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
  #372
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
No Kulemin does not hold more value than SuTTer. Two T's, two!

AINEC? Wow
Yes actually he does. Sutter is a solid #3 C but thats all he is - that's all he ever will be. Kulemin is a solid top 6 winger that can be the defensive/power forward guy on the second line in the mold of a Clowe... This is a guy who already has a 30 goal season to his name and was lighting up the KHL with Malkin. Its early and its not like he's struggling either. We're not overrating Kulemin we expect 20 goals - 45-50 points while playing defensive hockey and opening up space in a top 6 role... these guys are pretty valuable - a lot more then 3rd liners. We're not trading him... we don't want to trade him he's an important player for us. He's not available so cya later... go sign Sykora

HappyGilmourr is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  #373
Deuce Awesome
Registered User
 
Deuce Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus74 View Post
Kulemin for Pittsburgh 1rst & 3rd in 2013.

That is the type of overpayment it would require.


Sounds like what we got for Versteeg close to the deadline a couple years ago.


I could live with that, but Im not thrilled by it.


Pitty is going to be in the top ten, which means it will be a 20+ pick in the first round. Who knows what that will be.


Im leaning towards just keeping him, he has more value to us then what we could aquire via trade. Its not like he is a UFA on his last legs like Poni or Antropov were for us.

Deuce Awesome is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  #374
Anth93
Registered User
 
Anth93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
can you put the right amount of T's in anything?
Yeah that was bad

Anth93 is offline  
Old
02-06-2013, 08:12 PM
  #375
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 34,910
vCash: 500
seems fair

p.l.f. is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.