HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary Signs Danny Taylor

Old
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
(With Abbotsford)
Taylor 26 GP 1.77 .930
Irving 6 GP 3.72 .871

Kinda weird to see Taylor acting as Irving's backup
Irving was only in the AHL this season to keep him working with the Flames organization during the lockout. He only played the occasional game to keep him in shape. His AHL stats really don't mean alot.

100 Third Graders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I'm no doctor, but when a guy is able to board a plane, walk normally, and show no external signs of injury or discomfort it's probably safe to say he's not nursing anything serious. For all we know Kipper could just have a laceration or a groin tweak.
Take it from a middle age guy - you can find your way onto a plane and still have career ending injuries. I'm no NHL player but my hunch is that there is a huge difference between being able to function day to day and play hockey at an NHL level.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Actually he has 20 minutes of NHL experience from his time in the Kings organization in the season they used 7 goaltenders. But everyone has little to no experience at some time or another, plus Taylor probably still sees no NHL action.
Make that 6 goaltenders and a beach ball...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
JacketsFanWest

Good for Danny! He was excellent in Springfield. It was a shame he got passed over there for prospects with NHL contracts when he outplayed them.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
Good for Danny! He was excellent in Springfield. It was a shame he got passed over there for prospects with NHL contracts when he outplayed them.
Danny had to leave Springfield because of a problem with his visa. That is why he turned around and signed with the Heat who are in Canada.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Stewie Griffin
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

vCash: 16000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
I'm no doctor, but when a guy is able to board a plane, walk normally, and show no external signs of injury or discomfort it's probably safe to say he's not nursing anything serious. For all we know Kipper could just have a laceration or a groin tweak.
Or he could be wearing a knee brace, which prevents extra side-to-side movement of his knee. If it's only a minor sprain, you wouldn't notice much in the way of pain or limp with the brace on.

That said, the team said they'd evaluate him today. Well it's not much of an update, but here it is straight from the horse's mouth:

Quote:
In the second period I felt some discomfort in the lower body area. During the intermission, it was decided that I not return to play. I really believe that this is a short term injury and over the next days, I'll work toward being ready as soon as possible."
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654420

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Actually he has 20 minutes of NHL experience from his time in the Kings organization in the season they used 7 goaltenders. But everyone has little to no experience at some time or another, plus Taylor probably still sees no NHL action.
The funny thing is that Taylor was only given a shot because of injuries, was never expected to do anything other than open the door (much like this thread) yet was put in because Ersberg was lit up.

It didn't go very well though, Taylor comes in to start the 3rd after Ersberg lets in 5 goals, Kings have pressure for the first couple minutes until Jere Lehtinen got a partial break away and fired a shot from the high slot into the net over Danny's left shoulder. First shot Taylor sees in the NHL is a laser, he hardly even moved. Ends up giving up 2 goals on 10 shots that period, Kings lose 7-2. That was bad year for LA, but 3 months later they drafted Drew Doughty.

I hope Danny's second chance goes a little better than his first.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:32 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
The funny thing is that Taylor was only given a shot because of injuries, was never expected to do anything other than open the door (much like this thread) yet was put in because Ersberg was lit up.

It didn't go very well though, Taylor comes in to start the 3rd after Ersberg lets in 5 goals, Kings have pressure for the first couple minutes until Jere Lehtinen got a partial break away and fired a shot from the high slot into the net over Danny's left shoulder. First shot Taylor sees in the NHL is a laser, he hardly even moved. Ends up giving up 2 goals on 10 shots that period, Kings lose 7-2. That was bad year for LA, but 3 months later they drafted Drew Doughty.

I hope Danny's second chance goes a little better than his first.
Can't really fault a goaltender in their NHL debut for giving up 2 goals on 10 shots. It was a long time ago and Danny has seemingly found a consistency he never had before since returning from Europe. As much as I would like him to get a shot and do well I hope he is up for 1 game, maybe 2 as the backup and never seens the ice because it will mean Irving is doing well and Kiprusoff is out only a few games.

However after this season I would like to see someone, somewhere give him a shot at fighting for a backup spot.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

I have watched both Taylor and Brust in the AHL many times this year and can say confidently Taylor is the better of the two, regardless of numbers. He plays a much more positionally sound game and is a very calm goaltender, much better suited for the NHL. Brust is a little more crazy with the puck and finds himself out of position quite a bit, he gets a lot of good bounces with pucks I would say, he is lucky to not have a few more GA. If he played in the NHL the times he gets out of position would see way more consequences then he does get in the AHL. Those spots would get picked off easily by NHL players.

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:51 PM
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolen View Post
I have watched both Taylor and Brust in the AHL many times this year and can say confidently Taylor is the better of the two, regardless of numbers. He plays a much more positionally sound game and is a very calm goaltender, much better suited for the NHL. Brust is a little more crazy with the puck and finds himself out of position quite a bit, he gets a lot of good bounces with pucks I would say, he is lucky to not have a few more GA. If he played in the NHL the times he gets out of position would see way more consequences then he does get in the AHL. Those spots would get picked off easily by NHL players.
Agreed completely and Brust's numbers are skewed by the shutout streak as well. I think Danny is the better all around goaltender due to the consistency he has shown, Brust however will have higher highs and lower lows.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:55 PM
professorchaos

I hope Brust gets his shot with the big club. Went to school with him and was a teammate in minor hockey, good guy.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
THAT'S IT! Just give Calgary the Stanley Cup now!

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Booba
Bouger les pieds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
There are a couple of big reasons why teams keep roughly 5 goalies under contract and injuries like Kipper's is one of them. They should factor that into their planning.
I was wondering who would fill Taylor's spot in Abbotsford since the Flames have no goaltenders under contract neither in Abbotsford or Utah.

Rather than signing a "random" ECHL filler, they found a very decent goaltender in Tyson Sexsmith who signed a PTO contract with the team
http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/r...article_id=388

Sexsmith was drafted by the Sharks in 2007 and played parts of three seasons in Worcester. He even played in the AHL all-star game last year.

Also, the Heat didn't have to go far to find Sexsmith because he lives in Mission, BC. According to Google maps, it's a 25 minutes drive to get from Mission to Abbotsford.

Last edited by Booba: 02-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Quote:
I was wondering who would fill Taylor's spot in Abbotsford since the Flames have no goaltenders under contract neither in Abbotsford or Utah.

Rather than signing a "random" ECHL filler, they found a very decent goaltender in Tyson Sexsmith who signed a PTO contract with the team

Sexsmith was drafted by the Sharks in 2007 and played parts of three season in Worcester. He even played in the AHL all-star game last year.

Also, the Heat didn't have to go far to find Sexsmith because he lives in Mission, BC. According to Google maps, it's a 25 minutes drive to get from Mission to Abbotsford.
He also played for the Vancouer Giants in his junior days.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:35 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654399

Flames needed to do this to have someone ready to go if Kipper isn't. I'm a little surprised it wasn't Brust, myself.
Brust is a huge fan favourite (hilariously fun to watch) but at Taylor's age there's more potential value in a contract (e.g. if he does end up being NHL calibre you've got either a trade piece or another guy for longer-term goaltending depth).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Ashasx

Brust's style won't work in the NHL right now. He plays like Tim Thomas, very erratic, obviously not as good.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister

?

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Stewie Griffin
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

vCash: 16000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post

?
? Indeed.

I see you tried to upload a picture of Danny Tanner. Obviously, that's a different name than Danny Taylor.

3/8 for effort.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:46 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
? Indeed.

I see you tried to upload a picture of Danny Tanner. Obviously, that's a different name than Danny Taylor.

3/8 for effort.

Damnit! I knew it was something similar. Funny thing is this picture came up when I typed in Danny Taylor.

Ah well.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:

Sexsmith was drafted by the Sharks in 2007 and played parts of three seasons in Worcester. He even played in the AHL all-star game last year.

I like the Sexsmith signing - even if it is mainly for insurance and convenience. From what little I've read of his recent experience he's earned another look in the A.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote