HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Dreger just said on TV that Nonis is listening to offers on Kessel.

Dreger was clear saying that Kessel was Burkes guy, not Nonis'.
I'll believe it when he is on another uniform. As of now, it just seems like normal news to get an idea of what the market is IMO.

02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Just reporting what was said guys, dont shoot the messenger. lol

Old
02-06-2013, 08:41 PM
eyeball11

I'll just ask those who think Dreger's statement has any relevance one simple question:

"What would Nonis have to gain by making such a statement"?

Please don't be foolish enough to say "It lets other teams know he's available and drives the price". There are 29 other GMs and they all have phones. The only possible thing telling Dreger this could do is to cause his player distraction and likely poor play. Unless Nonis is a complete buffoon bent on ruining his team's chances (who knows, maybe he's one of the tank crowd?), there's no way he said such a thing to Dreger.

I call weasel.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:46 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
I'll just ask those who think Dreger's statement has any relevance one simple question:

"What would Nonis have to gain by making such a statement"?

Please don't be foolish enough to say "It lets other teams know he's available and drives the price". There are 29 other GMs and they all have phones. The only possible thing telling Dreger this could do is to cause his player distraction and likely poor play. Unless Nonis is a complete buffoon bent on ruining his team's chances (who knows, maybe he's one of the tank crowd?), there's no way he said such a thing to Dreger.

I call weasel.
I have it on good authority Dreger isn't making this up. People don't give him the credit he's due. He's a very powerful person in hockey, the absolute highest in the media. If he says it, it's true.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Just reporting what was said guys, dont shoot the messenger. lol
Ain't shooting you bro, just saying !

Old
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Heres a link to the clip (Dreger in regards to Kessel)

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/860031/clip/114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Ain't shooting you bro, just saying !
No worries!

Old
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I have it on good authority Dreger isn't making this up. People don't give him the credit he's due. He's a very powerful person in hockey, the absolute highest in the media. If he says it, it's true.

Come on. He has missed the mark as much as anybody. He does have an inside track with Nonis but the best insider?

And what is there to make up? All he said is Nonis is listening, and there is interest.

Big Whoop.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:02 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Listening to offers about Kessel doesn't mean anything. It's normal to listen to every off you get on any player. It doesn't mean you will do anything. Will be interesting to see what we can get for Kessel though.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Listening to offers about Kessel doesn't mean anything. It's normal to listen to every off you get on any player. It doesn't mean you will do anything. Will be interesting to see what we can get for Kessel though.
The term "listening to offers" means you are ready to sell and is not the same as the usual "any player have his price, but..." that you imply.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

No worries!
nothing ground breaking to be honest. I think it's just other GMs calling in to see if Kessel is available after Burke's departure and the goalless streak

Old
02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

I'd even send Phaneuf packing.

I dislike him because there is a huge difference between the Calgary Dion Phaneuf and Toronto Dion Phaneuf.

He's still a top 3 D-man on any team in the league, IMO, but I think being the C of this team is really taking away from what Dion's abilities are.

He needs to be an agitating figure to play against. He needs to get under player's skin and fight. He can not do that being the C.

The Leafs need to make a decision on both Kessel and Phaneuf. Sadly, I'll miss Kessel far more than Dion.

02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

It's always good to listen...just not take to heart.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:36 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I'd even send Phaneuf packing.

I dislike him because there is a huge difference between the Calgary Dion Phaneuf and Toronto Dion Phaneuf.

He's still a top 3 D-man on any team in the league, IMO, but I think being the C of this team is really taking away from what Dion's abilities are.

He needs to be an agitating figure to play against. He needs to get under player's skin and fight. He can not do that being the C.

The Leafs need to make a decision on both Kessel and Phaneuf. Sadly, I'll miss Kessel far more than Dion.
I would not mind to see both of them gone but Phaneuf is slowly winning me over for several reasons.

1: He have improved his play a lot. He still lacks hockey sense but playing in a defensive minded system somewhat makes up for that.
2: Having some one with his physical attributes and may I say mental attributes (he clearly dont let a few mistakes or a poor game get to his head) on the blue line is not a bad thing. Problem is he is played to much.
3: He really do seem to enjoy being the captain of the Leafs even now when we are kind of rebuilding and I dont think we would find many players hitting their prime who want to be part of that.
4: Sure, his text message to Reilly when he got drafted is perhaps not something he is the only captain to do on draft day but once he become captain one of the first things he did was to turn up (by his own will so I understand) to the prospects camp to talk to them and wish them welcome to the Leafs. To me that sounds like he really seeing him self as the senior figure (with few older ones around telling him what what they would have done) who will help the young ones when they turn pro.
5: He have a lot of offensive potential, he is just not getting the pucks on target right now but he have proved in the past that he is good for anything between 10-20 goals per season.
6: You wont find many players who combine his main attributes, and certainly not ones who will come to Toronto.

Last edited by johnny_rudeboy: 02-06-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Drew311
Van Man

Phaneuf is a good defenseman. The problem is Leafs fans will find anything negative they can to **** on a player until he is run out of town. We just can't own nice things in this city, because our fans break them shortly after they arrive.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Pi

Phaneuf is a good defenseman... he's easily a top pairing D.

Yes his offense isn't there but do you remember that phase when "Yandle > Phaneuf"

Well Yandle is absolutely piss poor defensively. Phaneuf is a good defenseman that faced some of the hardest competition last year...and was only behind Suter and Weber in that regard.

He doesn't have a reliable partner. Look at Weber and Suter without each other.

We need to find Phaneuf a good partner. He's had Beauchemin, Komisarek, Aulie, Schenn, Liles, Kostka...over the time he's been here. The only way I trade Phaneuf is if he is demanding more than 6.5M. He doesn't deserve more than that.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:49 PM
buntek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Phaneuf is a good defenseman. The problem is Leafs fans will find anything negative they can to **** on a player until he is run out of town. We just can't own nice things in this city, because our fans break them shortly after they arrive.
Well then it should be easy to get a good return for him then!

Quote:

No worries!
Music to my ears. Sleeping like a baby tonight, cheers!

Old
02-06-2013, 09:52 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I would not mind to see both of them gone but Phaneuf is slowly winning me over for several reasons.

1: He have improved his play a lot. He still lacks hockey sense but playing in a defensive minded system somewhat makes up for that.
2: Having some one with his physical attributes and may I say mental attributes (he clearly dont let a few mistakes or a poor game get to his head) on the blue line is not a bad thing. Problem is he is played to much.
3: He really thus seem to enjoy being the captain of the Leafs even now when we are kind of rebuilding and I dont think we would find many players hitting their prime who want to be part of that.
4: Sure, his text message to Reilly when he got drafted is perhaps not something he is the only captain to do on draft day but once he become captain one of the first things he did was to turn up (by his own will so I understand) to the prospects camp to talk to them and wish them welcome to the Leafs. To me that sounds like he really seeing him self as the senior figure (with few older ones around telling him what what they would have done) who will help the young ones when they turn pro.
5: He have a lot of offensive potential, he is just not getting the pucks on target right now but he have proved in the past that he is good for anything between 10-20 goals per season.
6: You wont find many players who combine his main attributes, and certainly not ones who will come to Toronto.
I agree with this, some awesome points. As much as I sometimes say I want to trade Phaneuf for prospects gotta appreciate what he is doing for the younger guys in the organization. I mean he will take a lot of pressure of guys like Gardiner and Rielly to come in and be the number one dman. What would happen if we traded him? We would be expecting those two to come in and blow us out of the water (look at Schenn, he was the captain to be, etc..). By keeping Phaneuf and making him a key piece of the team it allows that not to happen, while giving us a serviceable dman that can play 22-25 minutes a night of decent hockey. When Rielly or Gardiner finally take over the #1 spot, and Dion steps back playing #2 or 3 we will appreciate what he can do a lot more.

In hindsight I think the best core players to trade would be Kessel and Grabo. Kessel because we would get an awesome return with a quality blue chip prospect and likely another good young player. He is a great scorer and play maker, but he is not a building block for any team, and that is what he is currently used as. He could instead be traded for said building block whom you could combine with Rielly, Phaneuf, Gardiner, JvR, Kadri and Lupol to have a skillful core. Kind of like how Columbus traded Carter. He was a good player, but not the right player for their situation. Now they have JJ, who has been awesome for them and I think will be a great core player going forward (probably even the captain). Grabo is just personal preference. I think he is a great center and love having him, but I think he is better suited on another team. He is getting older likely won't be the same player when this team is at its best, so we could instead get another quality player for him.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
nothing ground breaking to be honest. I think it's just other GMs calling in to see if Kessel is available after Burke's departure and the goalless streak
This is exactly what I was thinking, GM's are inquiring about a lot of players and as Nonis said in this interview, that there are no untouchables but I would imagine he would expect a big return, for Kessel or Phanuef.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/...son_interview/

Old
02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

NJD just got Lokitonov from LAK for a 5th round pick. I wonder if Lou asked about Doughty, Kopitar, or Richards?

Old
02-06-2013, 09:56 PM
leugangen

I like how people are quick to say Phaneuf is terrible, but praise Kostka. Phaneuf looks bad here and there because he is paired up with players that have no business being in the top pairing.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:05 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Nonis has been pretty quiet so far, but I somehow get the feeling that he wants to make his impression on this team. Just some of the comments he's made about he and Burke not agreeing on how a team should be built leads me to believe he would have no qualms about sending Burke's guys packing.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Drew311
Van Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by leugangen View Post
I like how people are quick to say Phaneuf is terrible, but praise Kostka. Phaneuf looks bad here and there because he is paired up with players that have no business being in the top pairing.
You don't see Phaneuf diving along the ice five times a game trying to cover up for his mistakes. Almost every game I see Kostka play I say to myself, man this kid looks like he's playing in a beer league. Diving all over the ice and dropping to both knees to try to keep a puck in the zone are bush league moves. I can't understand why Carlyle continues to give him top minutes.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:11 PM
leugangen

Quote:
You don't see Phaneuf diving along the ice five times a game trying to cover up for his mistakes. Almost every game I see Kostka play I say to myself, man this kid looks like he's playing in a beer league. Diving all over the ice and dropping to both knees to try to keep a puck in the zone are bush league moves. I can't understand why Carlyle continues to give him top minutes.
I have no idea why either.

And Phaneuf's mistakes have been few and far between this season. He may not be putting up points, but he has been really solid defensively.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Nonis has been pretty quiet so far, but I somehow get the feeling that he wants to make his impression on this team. Just some of the comments he's made about he and Burke not agreeing on how a team should be built leads me to believe he would have no qualms about sending Burke's guys packing.
Hopefully he keeps:

Rielly, Kadri, JvR, Lupol, Phaneuf and Gardiner

Old
02-06-2013, 10:15 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Who else should he play with him? Gunnarsson is out injured and was injured at the start of the season but played anyway. Gardiner is still suffering from his concussion. Liles, not sure, but I suspect he is a little injured as well. Komisarek does not seem to be a good fit. Franson is not able to play those minutes. I think Kostka is paired with Phaneuf simply because he have the stamina to play a lot of minutes seeing as every one else either dont have that stamina or is currently injured. Probably the reason why he play Dion so much seeing as the other defenders are not fit enough.

Still dont explain why Kostka is on the first PP. But he set up Dion and had Dions aim been better this season we would probably talk about how awesome Kostka is on the PP lining up so many assists.

Closed Thread