HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Hamilton III: There's A New Sheriff In Town

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Ryan34222

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Real Estate Investment Network seems to have Hamilton at 6th. Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge is #2 on the list.

http://michelejolley.typepad.com/fil...0-and-2015.pdf

From 2010....But still, Hamilton won't get an NHL team if they don't get it soon.
That's fine. I was just giving you a source.

Agreed it needs to happen soon. Truth be told, I don't believe it'll ever happen. That saddens me but it's whatever, I still got my Cats

Old
02-05-2013, 06:18 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciaguida View Post
If Hamilton does get a team, what would they be named?

Hamilton Tigers? I know they already have the Tigercats, but Hamilton sure loves their kitties. Do they keep the Bulldogs moniker? Ironically enough the original Quebec NHL team that moved to Hamilton was called the Bulldogs. But I doubt that's what the AHL team was named after.

What about their colour scheme? Hamilton like to use Black and Yellow, but with Boston they might avoid it. Or could they mainly use black and streamline the yellow? Decisions, decisions.
They probably were named after the Quebec team. If I remember correctly they had a contest to name the team.
I'd like to see Tigers, Bulldogs would be okay but you'd have to change the logo not saying I don't like the current one, because I do, its fine for AHL.

Old
02-05-2013, 07:38 AM
S2S
6-8-5-13

Tigers. Jerseys that look like the Armada of the QMJHL, With the black being orange and the middle stripe being black. White mixed in where needed.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:05 AM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:

Hamilton Tigers? I know they already have the Tigercats, but Hamilton sure loves their kitties. Do they keep the Bulldogs moniker? Ironically enough the original Quebec NHL team that moved to Hamilton was called the Bulldogs. But I doubt that's what the AHL team was named after.

What about their colour scheme? Hamilton like to use Black and Yellow, but with Boston they might avoid it. Or could they mainly use black and streamline the yellow? Decisions, decisions.
If it was my decision I'd make them black and silver/grey with yellow and they'd be called the Steelhawks.

Except with the Jets' jersey design?

Last edited by DyerMaker66*: 02-05-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 AM
DyerMaker66*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Tigers. Jerseys that look like the Armada of the QMJHL, With the black being orange and the middle stripe being black. White mixed in where needed.
I like the idea, but I'd go black and silver with yellow mixed in. Or maybe black and silver with a yellow logo.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:38 AM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
That's fine. I was just giving you a source.

Agreed it needs to happen soon. Truth be told, I don't believe it'll ever happen. That saddens me but it's whatever, I still got my Cats
ahem ... WE have your Cats (well, for next year)

Old
02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
ahem ... WE have your Cats (well, for next year)
Hahahaha. I'm going to enjoy watching them there. I love Guelph, mind you I am quite miffed there won't be a labour day classic this year though.

But I blame Rogers and there hate on for the Argos.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
If it was my decision I'd make them black and silver/grey with yellow and they'd be called the Steelhawks.

Except with the Jets' jersey design?
I like that Steelhawks work. Have the logo something similar and simple like the Seattle Seahawks.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:07 AM
WildGopher

Quote:

It won't be my town or team, so I really don't get a say in this, but with hockey being second only to baseball in honoring its traditions, I'd like to see Hamilton Tigers. Was glad Winnipeg kept the Jets name last year, and I know Nordiques is the only name under consideration for QC.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:40 PM
DyerMaker66*

Quote:
I like that Steelhawks work. Have the logo something similar and simple like the Seattle Seahawks.
That could work nicely!

I never thought of that; my thinking was similar to the Wild's logo: Have a hawk with it's wings spread and a picture from the POV of you standing in Burlington (Hickory Island) looking at Burlington Bay James N. Allan Skyway and seeing the Bayfront Park/Marina Towers/Stelco or Dofasco in the background. A sleek sweater could look sweet, though.

Also: Jersey must have laces at the top.

Last edited by DyerMaker66*: 02-05-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 08:47 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
You've posted this before yet I've never been able totablet.substantiate it when I've looked into it further.
That's from 2010. Hamilton is #1 in 2011 and 2012. Dont know how to cut and paste on my tablet. Google THE SPEC REIN HAMILTON

Old
02-05-2013, 08:49 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
It won't be my town or team, so I really don't get a say in this, but with hockey being second only to baseball in honoring its traditions, I'd like to see Hamilton Tigers
Me too!

Old
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
JMROWE

If & When Hamilton gets an NHL. team I would love to see the Tigers name reborn but I don't think they would go with that name because it will clash with Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL.) football team so my choice would be other than Tigers would be Falcons , Steelers , Steelheads (TV. Show) , Steelhawks , Destroyers & Red Coats .

Old
02-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
That could work nicely!

I never thought of that; my thinking was similar to the Wild's logo: Have a hawk with it's wings spread and a picture from the POV of you standing in Burlington (Hickory Island) looking at Burlington Bay James N. Allan Skyway and seeing the Bayfront Park/Marina Towers/Stelco or Dofasco in the background. A sleek sweater could look sweet, though.

Also: Jersey must have laces at the top.
NO word of a lie, I had to Google the Wilds logo to refresh my memory. It's been awhile since I watched NHL regularly. I like your idea more now that I can picture it in my head.

If it's the Tigers. Just a simple HT but like JMRowe posted may cause problems with The cats.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Killion

Quote:
...may cause problems with The cats.
No worries, we, are, flexible.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Frankenrogers

Here are my thoughts on a team name, and I have thought about this a lot because if Hamilton ever gets a team I'm there with a resume to work on their media sales .

I would avoid anything Steel because I think it has been done and I personally don't like any thrown together names like Steel Hawks, Steel Dogs etc (same goes with adding Ice or River before an animal). They seem a bit AHL to me.

Tigers isn't so bad because Tigers is an old school name so gives you a bit of an historic feeling attached to it but without actually having one (modern history). In other words, it doesn't feel like a 90s franchise. But at the end of the day we have the Tiger Cats already.

I would go completely different. I would make it a regional name. Upper Canada. Upper Canada is the old name for Ontario and the name we used during the War of 1812. It gives it a regional feel like New England, Golden State. For those who think that Hamilton is an unknown name to Americans, Canada and Hockey should go together. Make the team name the Militia, Reds, or anything like that. Upper Canada also gives the new team a historical feel despite not having a recent history.

The War of 1812 has a history here with the Battle of Stoney Creek and is a war that Canadians are generally taught that we won by kicking the American butts out of Canada. I would go for an 1812 military theme with the uniform styling, the sound/music (pipes, bagpipes, drums) and general look. National Anthems would be played up, guns or cannons fired off when goals are scored.

I like this name because it is very different and includes the region. Keep the look sleek and classy and avoid any mascots with attitude on the logo. I'd have a silhouetted Red Coat militia man or Cannon as the mascot.

That's my thoughts.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
S2S
6-8-5-13

Like that. Yes bad I know, don't have much time/skills right now. But that concept. Away jersey mostly white with orange stripe. Third can be black/orange reverse of this, maybe with H in front. Yes, I am aware I used Medicine Hat's logo. I would think it would have similarities to it. Alternate logo wouldn't have to be the H, maybe an HT with the T attached to the H?

Old
02-06-2013, 02:42 PM
berklon

I think you guys may be jumping the gun a bit.

Unless there's some concrete information I'm not aware of.

Old
02-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenrogers View Post
Here are my thoughts on a team name, and I have thought about this a lot because if Hamilton ever gets a team I'm there with a resume to work on their media sales .

I would avoid anything Steel because I think it has been done and I personally don't like any thrown together names like Steel Hawks, Steel Dogs etc (same goes with adding Ice or River before an animal). They seem a bit AHL to me.

Tigers isn't so bad because Tigers is an old school name so gives you a bit of an historic feeling attached to it but without actually having one (modern history). In other words, it doesn't feel like a 90s franchise. But at the end of the day we have the Tiger Cats already.

I would go completely different. I would make it a regional name. Upper Canada. Upper Canada is the old name for Ontario and the name we used during the War of 1812. It gives it a regional feel like New England, Golden State. For those who think that Hamilton is an unknown name to Americans, Canada and Hockey should go together. Make the team name the Militia, Reds, or anything like that. Upper Canada also gives the new team a historical feel despite not having a recent history.

The War of 1812 has a history here with the Battle of Stoney Creek and is a war that Canadians are generally taught that we won by kicking the American butts out of Canada. I would go for an 1812 military theme with the uniform styling, the sound/music (pipes, bagpipes, drums) and general look. National Anthems would be played up, guns or cannons fired off when goals are scored.

I like this name because it is very different and includes the region. Keep the look sleek and classy and avoid any mascots with attitude on the logo. I'd have a silhouetted Red Coat militia man or Cannon as the mascot.

That's my thoughts.
i dunno i hear Upper Canada and i think Nunavut (probably better support there than in Glendale mind you )

Old
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
No worries, we, are, flexible.
we some of us are.. i havent seen my toes in a long time let alone be able to touch them lol

Old
02-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
may cause problems with The cats.
What problems?

Methinks the Ti-Cats would welcome any such attention to their brand.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
If Hamilton ever does get an NHL team, I just hope they don't promote the Bulldogs moniker. Something about it just screams meh. Hamilton, Butler, Georgia, whatever. Bulldog just seems like such a generic name, even if plenty of other names are far more common.

Either go Tigers for the history, and in spite of it being also ridiculously common as a sports name, or just go for broke and invent something brand spanking new.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
pdd

Given the constant assumption that Wang wants to sell/move the Islanders, I think the following would be highly amusing:

Hamilton does not get a team in the near future. The Islanders, sometime after they move in 2015, are renamed "the Brooklyn Islanders".

At some point after that, the Brooklyn Islanders relocate to Hamilton and become the Tigers.

And keeping with the premise, the Tigers have to move for some reason a few years later, and relocate to Quebec City (which has not received a team) and take on the "Bulldogs" moniker.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Given the constant assumption that Wang wants to sell/move the Islanders, I think the following would be highly amusing:

Hamilton does not get a team in the near future. The Islanders, sometime after they move in 2015, are renamed "the Brooklyn Islanders".

At some point after that, the Brooklyn Islanders relocate to Hamilton and become the Tigers.

And keeping with the premise, the Tigers have to move for some reason a few years later, and relocate to Quebec City (which has not received a team) and take on the "Bulldogs" moniker.
it has already been announced that the New York Islanders remain the New York Islanders even when playing @ Barclays Center.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post

lol.. full circle. well almost.. Maybe Brooklyn can call themselves the Americans before the move back to Hamilton

Closed Thread