HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for 2014 5th Round Draft Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
So Lovejoy > Strait???
Haha. Well, if the Islanders were the only team that would have claimed Strait and Snow knew that Strait would hit waivers, what can you really do in the situation?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 PM
thecore

Ben Lovejoy by all accounts seems like a great locker room guy. Fans here have soured on him because he was too similar to Martin and Niskanen. All three of them have little physicality to their game.

Lovejoy can be a solid #7 and maybe even a solid #6 for a few years. He has a good first pass, good poise and is a good skater.

Ducks aren't getting a dud here, we just need to give other guys the ice time.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:21 PM
rmartin65

So... a trade involving Niskanen or Despres is looking pretty unlikely now, huh?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I know Lovejoy wasn't loved around here, but I do think he'll be a decent #5/#6 on a team that gives him more minutes. He joins the rush well and isn't terrible on the back end.
I said the same thing yesterday and people thought i was on drugs

Old
02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
As a Ducks fan, I applaud Pittsburgh for making this move, but man oh man does Bob ever have his head up his own ass.

Fowler, Beauchemin, Allen, Souray, Sbisa, Lydman, Vatanen, Hendry, Guenin, Lindholm are all arguably better.
I can say with absolute certainty that he is a better player than Nate Guenin. That is for sure.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
If Lovejoy gets consistent playing time, I believe you will find him to be much better than the going away party he is getting here.
Yes, but Souray is playing like a top 4 D, Beauchemin, Fowler and Sbisa all are top 4 D. Lydman is playing like he did 2 years ago (poor man's Michalek). Allen clears the front and hits. Hendry and Guenin are safe D. Vatanen is our highest offensive upside D. And Lindholm is just great (though he'll stay in the AHL). We have 8 of those guys in the NHL (with Hendry sitting most games except maintenance days for Lydman and us having to choose between 11 F and scratching someone else too).

Lovejoy is at best better than Hendry and Guenin (8 and 9). And even that I'm not too sure of.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Everyone's happy.

Despres should not go down and Boychuck, Tangradi, Jeffrey all have more use/upside for us than to be treated as roster compliance dumps.
Anaheim gets a good and cheap 7th D-man who fits Boudreau hockey whereas we don't throw an asset away completely for free like we did Brian Strait.

Best of luck to Lovejoy who by all accounts was a stand up guy for us and liked by everyone.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
Ben Lovejoy by all accounts seems like a great locker room guy. Fans here have soured on him because he was too similar to Martin and Niskanen. All three of them have little physicality to their game.

Lovejoy can be a solid #7 and maybe even a solid #6 for a few years. He has a good first pass, good poise and is a good skater.

Ducks aren't getting a dud here, we just need to give other guys the ice time.
It had nothing to do with similarities. His play is just very uneven from night to night, hence his place on the depth chart. He's not a "dud" I guess in the sense that he's NHL-capable, but he shouldn't be in the lineup for more than one game consecutively.

Should've just kept Strait, which is not hindsight. Lovejoy is 28 years old and well past the developmental stage. They knew what they had, should've given Strait a chance. We'd be trying to figure out how to rotate all this depth.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Bjindaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by froods View Post
I can say with absolute certainty that he is a better player than Nate Guenin. That is for sure.
When he plays simple, Guenin isn't bad. When he tries to show the skill he doesn't have, he gets in a lot of trouble. But he's our 9th D.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
SEALBound

Good guy, wish him the very best, nothing against him...but G.T.F.O!

Old
02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
So... a trade involving Niskanen or Despres is looking pretty unlikely now, huh?
Which is good because quality defensemen are more important than quality wingers. If any defensemen get moved as part of an upgrade to the top 6 it will most likely be prospects only.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:27 PM
thecore

A trade involving a roster Dman was always pretty unlikely for a team making a cup run. Niskanen or Depres could be moved for a non-rental in a hockey trade, that's pretty much it. We like our defenseman depth. Reese and Dumoulin are probably considered NHL dman, too.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Jaded-Fan

I say again that the timing of this is all about Boychuk's play. Bort and Despres can be sent down again, right? One of them will go when Niskanen comes off IR. Sounds solid to me.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
thecore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
It had nothing to do with similarities. His play is just very uneven from night to night, hence his place on the depth chart. He's not a "dud" I guess in the sense that he's NHL-capable, but he shouldn't be in the lineup for more than one game consecutively.

Should've just kept Strait, which is not hindsight. Lovejoy is 28 years old and well past the developmental stage. They knew what they had, should've given Strait a chance. We'd be trying to figure out how to rotate all this depth.
Interesting. I remember sentiment mostly made towards how soft he was, not inconsistency, although that was a problem, too. I just remember him being criticized because he and Gogo could not clear Brian Gionta or Marty St. Louis from the front of the net.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I say again that the timing of this is all about Boychuk's play. Bort and Despres can be sent down again, right? One of them will go when Niskanen comes off IR. Sounds solid to me.
Wouldn't it be Reese? They just brought him up.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Bortuzzo needs to clear waivers, only Despres can go down. But with Niskanen back we just send Reese back down and have 7D at the NHL level

Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Bortuzzo has to clear waivers. Both he and Despres will stay up, Reese will go down when Niskanen returns and the D total will finally be 7.

Edit: Beaten by Stefanh

Old
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

So long Reverend. We'll always have 24/7.

Old
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecore View Post
Interesting. I remember sentiment mostly made towards how soft he was, not inconsistency, although that was a problem, too. I just remember him being criticized because he and Gogo could not clear Brian Gionta or Marty St. Louis from the front of the net.
You're right he's not notably physical, if at all. For me what I said above is most of it.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Bortuzzo can't without hitting waivers. Despres can, but Reese would be the 1st sent down.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
"Can you tell I got hit?"

Fare thee well, Ben.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

So did we get Ryan or Perry?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Both.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
gdsmack267

Multiple factors lead to this.

1.Fowler is injured for the ducks and they needed a depth D men.

2.Boychuk more then likely has impressed them enough to make the team meaning they needed a roster spot. (Reese will go back down once niskanen returns).

3. We just got a 5th round pick for our 8th D man

Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
I'm disappointed we couldn't get Palmieri for Lovejoy straight-up. Shero is slacking.

Closed Thread