HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

vCash: 500
a #1 D man i hope
not just a top 4 D man

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:24 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Basic summary of this was
-Duthie asked Dreger if Kessel rumors were just writers/radio hosts looking fill to column space/air-time and Dreger said it was more than that.
-Said the Leafs are not actively shopping Kessel but that, unlike Burke, Nonis was willing to listen to offers for Kessel
-Said it had nothing to do with Kessel's slow start
-Said that there were a number of teams interested in Kessel around the league
-Said it would take a sizable return, like a good Top 4 d-man or Top 6 forward and a high draft pick to land Kessel
better be a forward like Dustin Brown, Mike Richards or ROR

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
There are pieces in Los Angeles that would interest Toronto.
starting with richards

Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
There is nothing expendable on the Penguins roster that even remotely interest me in a deal for Kessel.
Leafs need to commit to a rebuild at this point, just saying. They've avoided it too long and that's why they've been so consistently bad.

Rebuild from the net out. Input defensive system. Tried and true.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick8 View Post
Carlson + a 1st (unless its a top 3 pick) for Kessel.

Done.
I'd probably do this, if the pick was top five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
I'd bet he hangs up right away or if he does listen it's just so he can laugh at the offer
Uh no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
Nonis wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't listen. That does not mean he's being shopped, nor will he be traded for cheap.
Exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
Crosby, Malkin & Stamkos.
You realize Wayne Gretzky was traded the year after leading the Oilers to the cup? You know that right?

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Good young forward/D
Top pick

That's what he said.

Maybe someone who was struggling like JVR but has top potential, and is a total beaut haha

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Done.
I'd probably do that haha. If the pick was top 3-6.

If not I'd want Alzner + 7-14ish pick.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:

Done.
This is the kind of deal Nonis would be looking for.

Phaneuf is our only top pairing calibre defenseman and we really need someone to play along side him. We also need more talent up front, but I'd argue that's something they'd fill through draft/FA/other trades.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Richards + Bernier.

Heard it here first

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
I'd probably do this, if the pick was top five.

Uh no.

Exactly.

You realize Wayne Gretzky was traded the year after leading the Oilers to the cup? You know that right?
Ya in the letang example shero doesn't even listen

Old
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
If Kessel was playing at a level of Crosby or Malkin, do you really think the Leafs would trade him?

Get real... Kessel is a sniper... But a perimeter player .... Those guys don't do well in the playoffs.
point per game in 08/09?

w e l o s t b o y s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:30 PM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

Paul Martin.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
GoGoGrabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
This is the kind of deal Nonis would be looking for.

Phaneuf is our only top pairing calibre defenseman and we really need someone to play along side him. We also need more talent up front, but I'd argue that's something they'd fill through draft/FA/other trades.
Caps fans would be happy to give you Carlson + Johansson. There is another JVR type player. Tons of talent, just not going to realize it in DC. Caps ruin all their young players, so make Toronto can salvage his career still.

GoGoGrabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This seems like destiny. Too many people with the Leafs seem to want to "move forward," too much stigma is attached to the Burke trade. The new suits are nothing if not image conscious, and Kessel is now seemingly a relic from the disgraced Burke era. So this idea has turn-the-page written all over it. Poor Kessel. Up until his uncharacteristic performance this year, he has done exactly what he was hired to do. For his part, I don't know if this is so, but I wouldn't blame him in the least for wanting out of Toronto and opting for a fresh, less controversial start somewhere else.

But this also has absolutely classic Leafs stupidity written all over it. Now Nonis shops him? In the midst of the worst start of his career? Not the best way to manage the team's major asset. If he goes to a contender, he is going to give that team one hell of a weapon come playoff time. He will add a new dimension to any decent team that he joins.

A good young player, a top prospect and a high draft pick would be the ideal return, but the timing is the pits.
I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge Kessel supporter and feel that he's been short changed his entire career in Toronto by idiotic fans and management alike.

There were no efforts made on their part to build the team around him. This goes back to Burke for the timing of the deal. I mean I can imagine the Leafs trying to get a top line C for the past 4 or so years but you need assets to do that.

Now you're stuck in a limbo. His contract runs out in a year and a half and his value at this time is higher than it would be next year which would be the last year of his deal.

Toronto as a team has not shown this season that they can roll with the big boys and this is still very much a team in transition. If you're talking about timing of a potential deal, I think this is the best time.

I don't think his value is any lower because he doesn't have goals. Opposing team's scouts will see there is an improvement in his overall play. He's as committed as I've ever seen him at both ends of the ice. The goals will come. He's still more often than not the best player on the ice for both teams.

02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Brody
Lol

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
Ya in the letang example shero doesn't even listen
Are you kidding me? Every GM listens to offers, it doesn't matter about the player, oh god.

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:33 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

On Jan. 2, 1992 the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames completed the biggest trade in NHL history -- at least in terms of the number of players involved -- as the Flames dealt Doug Gilmour to the Leafs in a 10-player swap.

Leeman
Godynyuk
Petit
Berube
Reese

for

Gilmour
Macoun
Nattress
Manderville
Wamsley

Old
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:

Done.
That sounds like a good deal.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
Paul Martin.
hillarious.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Crispy Crust

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge Kessel supporter and feel that he's been short changed his entire career in Toronto by idiotic fans and management alike.

There were no efforts made on their part to build the team around him. This goes back to Burke for the timing of the deal. I mean I can imagine the Leafs trying to get a top line C for the past 4 or so years but you need assets to do that.

Now you're stuck in a limbo. His contract runs out in a year and a half and his value at this time is higher than it would be next year which would be the last year of his deal.

Toronto as a team has not shown this season that they can roll with the big boys and this is still very much a team in transition. If you're talking about timing of a potential deal, I think this is the best time.

I don't think his value is any lower because he doesn't have goals. Opposing team's scouts will see there is an improvement in his overall play. He's as committed as I've ever seen him at both ends of the ice. The goals will come. He's still more often than not the best player on the ice for both teams.
+1. It would help if he did pot a few though.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Caps fans would be happy to give you Carlson + Johansson. There is another JVR type player. Tons of talent, just not going to realize it in DC. Caps ruin all their young players, so make Toronto can salvage his career still.
Uh, speak for yourself. We have had this discussion on the Caps board, and almost all of us have absolutely 0 interest in Kessel...

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:36 PM
kihei

vCash: 1800
Quote:

I hope you are right about his current value. I'll be very sorry to see him go.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Are you kidding me? Every GM listens to offers, it doesn't matter about the player, oh god.
so you think Tampa listens on stamkos or the pens on Malkin or sid? No way cause no team can offer a deal close to any of them

Old
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Richards + Bernier.

Heard it here first
Nope. Can't stand Richards.

Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Kessel's a nice complimentary piece to a team that has scoring depth and needs a finisher. Kessel as a go to guy doesn't work, and Toronto is finding that out. What good is a sniper with no forwards capable of setting him up? He's also a difficult linemate to play with because Kessel is the type who creates his opportunities by rushing the puck to the net. He isn't a distributor.

Not saying he is Bure, but that's exactly how Pavel played. That's why he worked well with a guy like Murray Craven who would just give Pavel the puck and he'd do his thing. That's the type of linemate Kessel needs, someone who tailors to his game. When a team doesn't have depth on offense, they're going to suffer, hence Toronto's struggles.
I don't get it, which is it here? That Phil Kessel is difficult to play with, or that you can put plugs like Murray Craven with him and he'll succeed?

Kessel was paired with Lupul last season and he showed a lot of playmaking flair.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:37 PM
LandofLincoln

Kessel

To Toronto Patrick Kane

To Chicago Phil Kessel & T. Bozak

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote