HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Colorado Ava...Lake Erie Monsters Thread Part III

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 01:54 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Sure. Still has absolutely nothing to do with the volume of concussions Avs players and prospects have suffered.
The problem I have is that we seem to have way more than average concussions.

That is probably not true but why do I feel that way?

Cause everytime anyone on the Avs suffers a concussion he is out for like forever. That can happen with severe concussions. No doubt.

But the recovery time seems to be longer than it should be.

I highly suspect that our medical staff probably is not the best when it comes to treating concussions to put it mildly...

Letting Landy come back, Hishon (not even Crosby was out that long and he suffered 2!), Mueller, Wilson to a certain extent and so on...

Old
02-02-2013, 05:45 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skating Tripods View Post
I can't confirm or deny any of those things. Where did you hear them?

The Sullivan jaw thing makes sense. I believe I was at a game where he got hit by a shot, but I thought it hit him in the shoulder and I never thought anything else of it.

That said, Lauridsen and Chouinard have played well enough to keep Sullivan in the press box when he returns.
Whilst i'm down under i don't hear terribly much these days

Plain dealer has covered the Walker and Aitto injuries and found the power of twitter to deduce Lerg and Sullivan.. of course the Monsters could make it easier for us if they produced just a short press release!

OT Sullivan is actually a pretty funny guy. Would like for when he returns that he can put some better performances down for the Monsters.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
The problem I have is that we seem to have way more than average concussions.

That is probably not true but why do I feel that way?

Cause everytime anyone on the Avs suffers a concussion he is out for like forever. That can happen with severe concussions. No doubt.

But the recovery time seems to be longer than it should be.

I highly suspect that our medical staff probably is not the best when it comes to treating concussions to put it mildly...

Letting Landy come back, Hishon (not even Crosby was out that long and he suffered 2!), Mueller, Wilson to a certain extent and so on...
With some of these players, it's bad luck. I know it's still premature to say, but we'll be lucky to see Hishon on the ice in the AHL, let alone NHL. Some players recover more quickly from concussions than others, and it has nothing to do with overall health or conditioning. Some players don't even recover from their first one. With Wilson, we should just be thankful he's bounced back from multiple concussions in a relatively quick time...hopefully Landy will as well.

The Avs do deserve some harsh criticism for putting Peter Mueller, a guy they KNEW had a concussion history prior to his acquisition and who had just recovered, in a preseason game before his custom order helmet that was supposed to help prevent concussions arrived. Sure, it may have only delayed the inevitable and the helmet probably wouldn't have made a difference, but it was a needless and stupid thing to do nonetheless.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Anybody could tell me how Beaupre is doing with LEM? Stat wise he seems to be doing quite well.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Wilson, Mueller, and Landeskog were all allowed to play too soon after suffering a head injury. We're clearly too lax at clearing guys to play initially.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
Sure. Still has absolutely nothing to do with the volume of concussions Avs players and prospects have suffered.
Not on new concussions but it certainly has an effect on the re-occurance of concussions and the length of time they are out.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:42 PM
Skating Tripods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Anybody could tell me how Beaupre is doing with LEM? Stat wise he seems to be doing quite well.
He's looked really good of late. Elevated up the depth chart with the injuries and the Barrie call-up and has adjusted well. Still a work in progress physically and you can tell that he needs to bulk up a little bit, but he's got good instincts. Pretty good, effortless skating stride. Average to above average passer.

He's playing big minutes in key situations, too, which will help his development.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:20 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He's looked really good of late. Elevated up the depth chart with the injuries and the Barrie call-up and has adjusted well. Still a work in progress physically and you can tell that he needs to bulk up a little bit, but he's got good instincts. Pretty good, effortless skating stride. Average to above average passer.

He's playing big minutes in key situations, too, which will help his development.
Thx appreciate it. It seems like every time he moves up a level, he takes his game to that next level as well. I'm very intrigue to see how far he will take his game. Can't wait to see how he does at camp next year.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:37 PM
GeoffL19

vCash: 800
Beaupre will make Gaunce expendable, imo.

Old
02-04-2013, 05:53 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Beaupre will make Gaunce expendable, imo.
He might just do that if he keeps improving the way he does. There is nothing that says we can't have both in the Avs lineup in the future though.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:30 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Sutherby named Captain because Lerg will be out for the rest of the season.

Old
02-05-2013, 05:54 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffL19 View Post
Gaunce will make Gaunce expendable, imo.
Fixed. He just hasn't played well this season. He probably needs a change of scenery to succeed, I don't think he ever will with the Avs organization. Boychuk all over again.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:08 PM
boz
Altitude Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Sutherby named Captain because Lerg will be out for the rest of the season.
Find the choice a little odd for a guy just signed! ..not that it really matters, He must be doing some pretty good things off the ice.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Skating Tripods

Monsters deserved a better fate tonight. They were the better team most of the game.

Few thoughts:

Stollery was the best player on the ice tonight. He was paired with Beaupre most of the game and actually showed a little bit of confidence carrying the puck. Had a tremendous head fake and cut in overtime to establish attack zone possession. Led to a couple quality scoring chances. He's developing really nicely. Hopefully it continues.

Beaupre was good in regulation, but got benched in overtime. First shift out there, he looked a little unsure of himself and Chynoweth went to Pock and three forwards instead of putting Beaupre back on the ice. I did like the three forward angle. The Monsters are trailing in the ROW tiebreakers, so he was trying to get the win in OT. The Monsters definitely carried the play in OT.

Agozzino had some more jump today. He's adding a little sandpaper to his game as well. Have to figure the Avalanche brass like hearing that. Would be a major upset if he isn't offered a two-way deal after the season.

This team's definitely lacking forward talent and finishers. Was evident in the shootout and in 65 minutes of action. With the exception of the Carey goal early on, not a lot of high percentage, quality looks. They spent a lot of time passing around the zone, especially on the powerplay. That said, Hershey's a well-coached team. They filled shooting lanes all night long.

Connolly's snakebitten. He had a couple glorious chances. Fired one high and wide and the other bounced over his stick.

Markus Lauridsen has become a real interesting player. Drew a powerplay jumping up in the rush and crashing the net. Looked elusive in the corners. Chynoweth thought enough of his offensive upside to use him in the shootout and he scored. It was a broken deke, as he went to pull the puck to his backhand and it slid right through the five hole. May have been intentional, not sure, but if he goes to his backhand, the net was wide open anyway. Liked his game tonight. I think he could find a way onto a NHL roster as a 6th/7th defenseman at some point.

Pickard was strong positionally, but the Hershey gameplan was clearly to shoot low. A lot of rebounds directed into high traffic areas. He made up for it by being in the right spot to make the second, and sometimes third, save. The second goal was a rebound that wound up on a guy's tape right in front of an open net. Beaupre was out of position, ignoring the back post. Not really Pickard's fault. Didn't really see the first goal.

If you guys want to know about anybody else, let me know.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Thanks for these updates, much appreciated.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Monsters deserved a better fate tonight. They were the better team most of the game.

Few thoughts:

Stollery was the best player on the ice tonight. He was paired with Beaupre most of the game and actually showed a little bit of confidence carrying the puck. Had a tremendous head fake and cut in overtime to establish attack zone possession. Led to a couple quality scoring chances. He's developing really nicely. Hopefully it continues.

Beaupre was good in regulation, but got benched in overtime. First shift out there, he looked a little unsure of himself and Chynoweth went to Pock and three forwards instead of putting Beaupre back on the ice. I did like the three forward angle. The Monsters are trailing in the ROW tiebreakers, so he was trying to get the win in OT. The Monsters definitely carried the play in OT.

Agozzino had some more jump today. He's adding a little sandpaper to his game as well. Have to figure the Avalanche brass like hearing that. Would be a major upset if he isn't offered a two-way deal after the season.

This team's definitely lacking forward talent and finishers. Was evident in the shootout and in 65 minutes of action. With the exception of the Carey goal early on, not a lot of high percentage, quality looks. They spent a lot of time passing around the zone, especially on the powerplay. That said, Hershey's a well-coached team. They filled shooting lanes all night long.

Connolly's snakebitten. He had a couple glorious chances. Fired one high and wide and the other bounced over his stick.

Markus Lauridsen has become a real interesting player. Drew a powerplay jumping up in the rush and crashing the net. Looked elusive in the corners. Chynoweth thought enough of his offensive upside to use him in the shootout and he scored. It was a broken deke, as he went to pull the puck to his backhand and it slid right through the five hole. May have been intentional, not sure, but if he goes to his backhand, the net was wide open anyway. Liked his game tonight. I think he could find a way onto a NHL roster as a 6th/7th defenseman at some point.

Pickard was strong positionally, but the Hershey gameplan was clearly to shoot low. A lot of rebounds directed into high traffic areas. He made up for it by being in the right spot to make the second, and sometimes third, save. The second goal was a rebound that wound up on a guy's tape right in front of an open net. Beaupre was out of position, ignoring the back post. Not really Pickard's fault. Didn't really see the first goal.

If you guys want to know about anybody else, let me know.
Thanks for the updates, really helps out the guys (and gals) that can't actually watch these games.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Monsters looks depleted. No Elliot/Barrie/Sgarbossa/Lerg/van der Gulik/Olver. That's a lot of skill missing at the AHL level.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Okay, I have to ask:

1. Were the Monsters a shot-blocking team under Quinn?

2. If so, are they still that team under Chynoweth?

Reason I'm asking is because the Avs have seemingly changed their defensive scheme to a more passive, shot-blocking style. Don't know if that was mandated by the type (i.e., bad) personnel on D, or if this is just the way Quinn teaches it. Either way, I don't like it.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
BrianSTC

Why isn't Elliott playing? Is he injured?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSTC View Post
Why isn't Elliott playing? Is he injured?
Concussion is what we've heard.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Fits with this organization.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:

Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
So Hishon, Landeskog, Siemens (thankfully he recovered), EJ, Wilson, Beaupre .......

It's like we're cursed or something.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
So Hishon, Landeskog, Siemens (thankfully he recovered), EJ, Wilson, Beaupre .......

It's like we're cursed or something.
Pepsi Centre is buried on a Indian burial ground or something.

Also I would like to see Gaunce in the NHL and see what he can do at the highest level before getting rid of him.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Also I would like to see Gaunce in the NHL and see what he can do at the highest level before getting rid of him.
Agreed, especially because he was Quinn's #1 dman last year and Gaunce seems to have lost his way with the new coach.

Closed Thread