HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 10:37 PM
  #51
domaug*
Flahr Pahr
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Archbald, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
hillarious.
i don't think he's worth Kessel, but he's certainly not worthless. he's actually one of the Pens' better d-men this season. he's doing everything he can to show that last season's suck-fest was a fluke.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:38 PM
  #52
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
On Jan. 2, 1992 the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames completed the biggest trade in NHL history -- at least in terms of the number of players involved -- as the Flames dealt Doug Gilmour to the Leafs in a 10-player swap.

Leeman
Godynyuk
Petit
Berube
Reese

for

Gilmour
Macoun
Nattress
Manderville
Wamsley

your point?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
  #53
DJOpus
Registered User
 
DJOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
Schneider + 1st/Gaunce for Kessel

DJOpus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
  #54
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
This seems like destiny. Too many people with the Leafs seem to want to "move forward," too much stigma is attached to the Burke trade. The new suits are nothing if not image conscious, and Kessel is now seemingly a relic from the disgraced Burke era. So this idea has turn-the-page written all over it. Poor Kessel. Up until his uncharacteristic performance this year, he has done exactly what he was hired to do. For his part, I don't know if this is so, but I wouldn't blame him in the least for wanting out of Toronto and opting for a fresh, less controversial start somewhere else.

But this also has absolutely classic Leafs stupidity written all over it. Now Nonis shops him? In the midst of the worst start of his career? Not the best way to manage the team's major asset. If he goes to a contender, he is going to give that team one hell of a weapon come playoff time. He will add a new dimension to any decent team that he joins.

A good young player, a top prospect and a high draft pick would be the ideal return, but the timing is the pits.
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!

I don't mind that the Leafs are listening in on offers for Kessel, because that's what should happen for any player. But if they do trade him away, it will probably be motivated by imagine considerations more than 10 games of a goaless drought.

The need to 'clear the deck' is dumb and motivated by nothing more than considerations for corporate image, just like when Fletcher was brought in to villainize the so-called Muskoka Five in the ugliest attempt at rebuilding I have ever seen. Sure, they got rid of everyone in the end, but how were they dumping productive NHLers at negative value? Nobody in the history of rebuilds ever traded a guy like Bryan McCabe AND a damned pick to get Mike Van Ryn back. Utterly disgraceful.

If Kessel is dealt, it better be for a sweetheart hockey deal. That's the only thing I could accept.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
  #55
Sonny21
Registerd User
 
Sonny21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,621
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Schneider + 1st/Gaunce for Kessel
Schnieder+kassian/Jensen+1st for Kessel+Bozak+Blacker?

Sonny21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:42 PM
  #56
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,690
vCash: 114
Kessel to Boston for two 1st round picks.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:44 PM
  #57
LEAFANFORLIFE23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Schneider + 1st/Gaunce for Kessel
nope hate the canucks

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
  #58
SidsBackhand
Registered User
 
SidsBackhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Steel City
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
If Shero got an offer for Letang, he would pretend to listen. "Yeah I'll think it over and let you know. Thanks, bye." CLICK. Never entertains the offer, UNLESS it is so ridiculous that he would be forced to move him. And by ridiculous, I mean one of the best skating/scoring offensive dmen in the league PLUS a pick/winger. Letang is too perfect of a fit on the Pens. Unless it's absurd, which smart hockey GMs would never entertain, Shero zones out then hangs up.

SidsBackhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:46 PM
  #59
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law
 
Saul Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by psupens View Post
i don't think he's worth Kessel, but he's certainly not worthless. he's actually one of the Pens' better d-men this season. he's doing everything he can to show that last season's suck-fest was a fluke.
a defenseman is the absolute last thing the leafs need coming back for kessel. especially a puck moving defenseman.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
  #60
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,618
vCash: 500
Hope they get something fantastic back for him. It would be a shame to move this guy because the Toronto media thinks he's a boring quote and has been trying to ship him out just because of that for years.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
  #61
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,646
vCash: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
a defenseman is the absolute last thing the leafs need coming back for kessel. especially a puck moving defenseman.
Agreed. We are thin at high end forwards now, so if we trade our only elite forward, where the hell does that leave us? We need forwards, forwards, and more forwards, and maybe throw in a young goalie prospect.


Last edited by kihei: 02-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:58 PM
  #62
TorontoTrades
Registered User
 
TorontoTrades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick8 View Post
Caps fans would be happy to give you Carlson + Johansson. There is another JVR type player. Tons of talent, just not going to realize it in DC. Caps ruin all their young players, so make Toronto can salvage his career still.

When Caps were mentioned that's immediately came to mind.. I would want Johnasson involved.

I don't think Johansson + Carlson would be quite enough but it would be a good starting spot.

LA is intriguing though.. If we could get a Mike Richards that would be big... we need a 1C desperately.

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
  #63
Billy6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
This possibility scares the hell out of me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
IMO unless you KNOW he won't re sign you don't even take the call Kessel should be untouchable
I think you guys are nuts. What makes Kessel so untouchable? He is a good player, but c'mon if the deal is good I'd ship him out in a heartbeat. He's not a franchise player and he's not suited to playing in Toronto. It's just not meant to be. You guys are falling into the Leaf fan mindset of massively overrating Kessel because he plays for the Leafs. The world won't end if he's traded and the Leafs will be better off in the long run.

Besides, do you guys honestly believe for a second that he has any interest of playing in Toronto past his current contract?

Do the deal now because his value will never be higher.

Billy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
  #64
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
When Caps were mentioned that's immediately came to mind.. I would want Johnasson involved.

I don't think Johansson + Carlson would be quite enough but it would be a good starting spot.

LA is intriguing though.. If we could get a Mike Richards that would be big... we need a 1C desperately.
Caps 1st >> Johansson.

Kessel >> Richards, who is definitely not a #1 C.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:00 PM
  #65
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
starting with richards
who needs richards when you have grabovski and bozak.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:01 PM
  #66
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
I think you guys are nuts. What makes Kessel so untouchable? He is a good player, but c'mon if the deal is good I'd ship him out in a heartbeat. He's not suited to playing in Toronto. It's just not meant to be. You guys are falling into the Leaf fan mindset of massively overrating Kessel because he plays for the Leafs. The world won't end if he's traded.

Besides, do you guys honestly believe for a second that he has any interest of playing in Toronto past his current contract?

Do the deal now because his value will never be higher.
His value will never be higher than a 0 goal season and having 1.5 more years till UFA. ?

You sure about that? What do you thinks going to happen? He's going to get signed for 10 mil per year and never score again?

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
  #67
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
who needs richards when you have grabovski and bozak.
This, minus the sarcasm.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
  #68
TYayo
Registered User
 
TYayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Really hope this doesn't happen..Kessel is really playing better in all 3 zones right now..and even though the goals aren't there...the chances are and soon they will go in.
That being said..A trade I could see
Ryan O'Reilly finally getting signed to the Avs
Then we do a deal with the centrepieces being Kessel for Duchene
Maybe Leafs add Bozak who is UFA at the end of the year and he can return to Denver where he played Univ....Avs add a 2nd

TYayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
  #69
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
This, minus the sarcasm.
welcome to 17th-20th again

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:05 PM
  #70
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
I think you guys are nuts. What makes Kessel so untouchable? He is a good player, but c'mon if the deal is good I'd ship him out in a heartbeat. He's not suited to playing in Toronto. It's just not meant to be. You guys are falling into the Leaf fan mindset of massively overrating Kessel because he plays for the Leafs. The world won't end if he's traded.

Besides, do you guys honestly believe for a second that he has any interest of playing in Toronto past his current contract?

Do the deal now because his value will never be higher.
He's not suited to playing in Toronto.....yet he consistently produces at a high level. It seems to me a lot of fans are just hell-bent on pigeonholing Kessel when he's not the zero he's made out to be.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:05 PM
  #71
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Schneider + 1st/Gaunce for Kessel
All three would be more realistic, not an either or.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:06 PM
  #72
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
welcome to 17th-20th again
Meh true. Trading kessel for Richards will help us tank I guess.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
  #73
TorontoTrades
Registered User
 
TorontoTrades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
I'll try my hand at some proposals:

WASH sends:
Johansson
Carlson
1st

TOR sends:
Kessel
mid-prospect


LA sends:
Richards
Bernier

TOR sends:
Kessel
Scrivens
2nd

TorontoTrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
  #74
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?
 
Joe Pesci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
I think you guys are nuts. What makes Kessel so untouchable? He is a good player, but c'mon if the deal is good I'd ship him out in a heartbeat. He's not suited to playing in Toronto. It's just not meant to be. You guys are falling into the Leaf fan mindset of massively overrating Kessel because he plays for the Leafs. The world won't end if he's traded.

Besides, do you guys honestly believe for a second that he has any interest of playing in Toronto past his current contract?

Do the deal now because his value will never be higher.
Uh, he's so untouchable because he went ppg last year and is a dynamic offensive forward. I know he's been snake-bitten this year, but he's proven himself over the years.

What is or isn't a good deal is subjective. What may seem like a good deal to you could look like underpayment to the Leafs.

What makes him not suitable to play in Toronto?

We're overrating Kessel? I say you're under rating him because he plays for the Leafs.

What makes you so sure he doesn't want to re-sign?

Sure this may be his peak value, but that doesn't mean we have to trade him.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
  #75
supercilious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Kessel & Bozak for Bobby Ryan & Sbisa

supercilious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.