HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers sign Timonen to a one-year extension, reported at $6m and a NMC (upd: post #1)

Old
02-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
If that number is right unless there are significant moves this offseason there wont be any names of note added
Yeah, unless there is a corresponding trade, that pretty much ends the Perry conversation.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sounds familiar....Carle...cough...cough!

Of course Carle is complete garbage to a lot of people.

Anyway...it's one year for Timonen..Carle's contract was obviously more years but he still fit a need regardless. Would have liked 4.5 to 5M for Timonen but what can you do...6m is a lot but guy has been a good soldier...prolly why he's getting this one year bonus of sorts.
I hope you're not referring to my post, and If you are feel free to quote my post in your reply.

And if you were referring to me, Carle "being garbage" wasn't my point since I never said that. Its that Kimmo is a much better dman IMO so yea, Kimmo deserves 6m.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Holy crap, that's a lot. I wonder if he has a NTC as well?

I hope not.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Prongo
Beer

Come on everybody, we know it has a NTC in it.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Was hoping for anywhere near $4-5 million. A little pricey but that's price you have to pay now a days.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sounds familiar....Carle...cough...cough!

Of course Carle is complete garbage to a lot of people.

Anyway...it's one year for Timonen..Carle's contract was obviously more years but he still fit a need regardless. Would have liked 4.5 to 5M for Timonen but what can you do...6m is a lot but guy has been a good soldier...prolly why he's getting this one year bonus of sorts.
Remove Carle from the equation. Look at how last summer went in terms of finding defensemen. The best defenseman on the UFA market this summer is/was Timonen himself. They couldn't afford to not pay him whatever he wanted.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Mota

Was hoping his next contract would be 2 years with a 4-5 mil cap hit...but ill take him at 6 any day. I think people underestimate how important he is to this team.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

It's great that Holmgren is looking to reup Timonen; however, timing is bad, dollar level is worse. I don't like the timing because, if this season does go into the toilet, Timonen would be the prime trade chip Holmgren would have. And I agree with Jray; Timonen has regressed to the point where I think $6 mil is too rich for him.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:19 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
I hope you're not referring to my post, and If you are feel free to quote my post in your reply.

And if you were referring to me, Carle "being garbage" wasn't my point since I never said that. Its that Kimmo is a much better dman IMO so yea, Kimmo deserves 6m.
Actually I'm not at all..honestly didn't even see your post. Just making a general snarky comment about some of the unreasonable criticisms of Carle. Made plenty of posts last year defending him even if I wasn't his biggest fan. Just never considered him to be worthless or anything like that. Everybody, had their reasons for thinking otherwise..just don't agree with all of them even if I agree with some portion of their argument just not the basic premise that Carle was a turd...

Kimmo for 6M is way too pricey and it may bite us in the butt if he totally breaks down which is a possibility since he has lost a step..although last night he looked real good. I see it similar to a LeClair situation in some ways....just paying him for being an upstanding Flyer all these years and still being serviceable given our needs. Obviously, LeClair's payout was b/c he was underpaid for a number of years...so a bit different but did have a loyalty aspect to it.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:30 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I know it's apparently 6M, but as of right now, he's our best PMD and we can't let him go right now.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
MsWoof

This likely means Briere will be bought out. And talk about not giving a hometown discount, I don't blame Kimmo one bit, he knows this is likely it and he's making the most of it just like Carle did last summer.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Does this basically mean we have to shed salary to make moves this offseason?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
PhilaFlyers

Was hoping for $4 mil

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Odds of Briere being bought out is just about 0.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:05 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I would rather see kimmo get around 4 mil, especially with the cap dropping next year. I think that would be fair.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

sounds like he was gonna retire and homer said "what if we gave you 6 mil, would you come back?"

he's our only premiere dman, albiet old

really the only scenario that makes sense to me

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
He is one of our few d-men that holds the players to the outside. He is easily our best d and I'm excited to see him coming back for another season.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

For everything he does he's worth 6mil. Timonen is so under appreciated sometimes. This guy has one if the best active sticks in the league. He's a leader and a tough well respected guy in locker room. He's our best puck mover. He's mentoring Luke Schenn on how to perfect the cerebral part of an NHL defenseman. I believe the lockout helped him recover from his injury plagued season and he feels good so that's why he's not hanging it up.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Kimmo Timonen is a good hockey man.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Synthetic

Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
That was Perry's money. Noooooooo.

After looking at it, though, who was left? Edler signed and we already had the best guy left. I woulda hoped for a bit more of a discount, though. A lot of people have been throwing around Carle's salary (and Wideman's...holy crap) and I realize it's fair compensation, but....damn.

Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:34 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Wow. Another horrible Holmgren contract. Can't say I'm surprised though. 6M dollars to plug a massive crack with a small 38 year old seal. This is the type of desperate move you make when you have a clear plan for the future, ie If you have a top-notch PMD prospect, but he's still a year away, so you overpay your aging current top PMD to stay 1 last year and bridge the gap. We have no such long term plan. Holmgren has no vision. Holmgren's calendar only has 3 months on it, never looks further ahead than that.

Or maybe Holmgren subscribed to the Mayan calendar and he expected it to all be over so he feels he's just playing with house $.

At the very least, if Timonen wasn't going to give us a homedown discount, couldn't we have waited till the year was almost over to make sure Timonen is still healthy and hasn't slowed down massively?

Oh who am I kidding, that would make too much sense.

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Wow. Another horrible Holmgren contract. Can't say I'm surprised though. 6M dollars to plug a massive crack with a small 38 year old seal. This is the type of desperate move you make when you have a clear plan for the future, ie If you have a top-notch PMD prospect, but he's still a year away, so you overpay your aging current top PMD to stay 1 last year and bridge the gap. We have no such long term plan. Holmgren has no vision. Holmgren's calendar only has 3 months on it, never looks further ahead than that.

Or maybe Holmgren subscribed to the Mayan calendar and he expected it to all be over so he feels he's just playing with house $.

At the very least, if Timonen wasn't going to give us a homedown discount, couldn't we have waited till the year was almost over to make sure Timonen is still healthy and hasn't slowed down massively?

I agree with you in general about the long term plan thing, but I'd really like to know who this top-notch PMD prospect is. Gus? Ghost?

EDIT: Disregard last part. Read your post wrong.

Last edited by Go For It: 02-06-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Misunderstanding
Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Meh, someone has to take Seth Jones under their wing for a year

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

This is not a bad contract at all. 1 year...is nothing.

Only the ownership can complain about the money spent...because it doesn't matter to the rest of us.

There is ZERO downside to this move. IF he gets hurt and cannot play, there is LTIR, to free up cap space...There is NOBODY else available at his level.

People really have no idea how good this guy is.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:

I pretty much agree, although I am happy to see him resigned. Without him we'd be in serious trouble, especially with no real UFA on the market to hope to sign.

So then does this mean he is hoping to get someone in the 2014 offseason? There's a good crop of UFAs, but most will likely sign with their own teams.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote