HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Around Hockey X (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Here's an interesting blog from Justin Bourne regarding players on bad teams:

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...-suck-dont-we/

Old
02-06-2013, 12:03 PM
EspenK

Interesting piece, Pete. Wonder when realization day will hit the Jackets?

Old
02-06-2013, 12:09 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

pete, thanks for the link. Some of Mr. Bourne's examples sound familiar to anyone that follows the CBJ. As he mentions, it's the little things that the player lets slide, and before you know it, the whole team suffers/loses. Thanks again for the link (and all the other non-CBJ hockey related links you share. I hope HF pays you for all the research! )

Old
02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester vaive View Post
pete, thanks for the link. Some of Mr. Bourne's examples sound familiar to anyone that follows the CBJ. As he mentions, it's the little things that the player lets slide, and before you know it, the whole team suffers/loses. Thanks again for the link (and all the other non-CBJ hockey related links you share. I hope HF pays you for all the research! )
Not only don't they pay me, bv, but as a sponsor, I pay them! As I've said before, I have more time to surf than most, so I try to share whatever I come across that I think some of you might find of interest. Glad you've enjoyed some of it!

Old
02-06-2013, 11:04 PM
bizzz*

If someone thinks that Edmonton can develop prospects should watch the Stars-Oilers game. They have some guy named Mark Arcobello at center. On the 1st line. Hall and Eberle have no idea who they are playing with. Looks like RNH is injured again and he didn't score a goal this year. He is slowly becoming injury prone and disappointing.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:47 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzz View Post
If someone thinks that Edmonton can develop prospects should watch the Stars-Oilers game. They have some guy named Mark Arcobello at center. On the 1st line. Hall and Eberle have no idea who they are playing with. Looks like RNH is injured again and he didn't score a goal this year. He is slowly becoming injury prone and disappointing.
I'm not sure what your point is. The guy was just called up for his first NHL shot. The fact you never heard of him means that Edmonton can't develop prospects?

Old
02-07-2013, 07:23 AM
Skraut

Quote:
They have some guy named Mark Arcobello at center. On the 1st line. Hall and Eberle have no idea who they are playing with.
Arcobello has 14 goals and 39 points in Oklahoma City, much of it playing on the same line, or same power play unit as Hall and Eberle. They don't magically wipe your memory when you get called up to the NHL so that you forget your AHL teammates.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. The guy was just called up for his first NHL shot. The fact you never heard of him means that Edmonton can't develop prospects?
The fact that Edmonton uses the guy who played in the ECHL at 23 and has never been drafted as a 1st line center should tell you a lot about their depth at that position and their ability to develop own prospects. They weren't able to develop a single center in many-many years and just filling the roster with top picks.

And even their 1st overall pick looked lost this year. The Edmonton already moved Ryan Smyth to center and their announcers even suggested that Hall also should be playing at center. If Johansen played with Hall and Eberle he would have scored much more than RNH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Arcobello has 14 goals and 39 points in Oklahoma City, much of it playing on the same line, or same power play unit as Hall and Eberle. They don't magically wipe your memory when you get called up to the NHL so that you forget your AHL teammates.
Well, let me expand that sentence a bit and put it this way:
Hall and Eberle looked like they have no idea who are they playing with and what is this guy doing in the NHL.

Last edited by bizzz*: 02-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
bizzz*

Another fact about the depth Edmonton has built. Their top-5 forwards (Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Yakupov and Gagner) plus Justin Schultz combined for 20 goals so far. All of those 5 forwards were 1st round picks.
The rest of the team (which is 17 NHL players) combined for only 3 goals in 10 games! And one of those 3 goals scored Blue Jackets' 6th round pick Lennart Petrell.

Is that how you build depth and develop prospects?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Not only don't they pay me, bv, but as a sponsor, I pay them! As I've said before, I have more time to surf than most, so I try to share whatever I come across that I think some of you might find of interest. Glad you've enjoyed some of it!
pete, I'm enjoying Kevin Shea's "Toronto Maple Leafs: Diary of a Dynasty, 1957-1967" and during the Leafs 1963 Cup-run they faced a Red Wing named Peter Goegan. Have you ever caught any flak here for being named after a former Detroit and Pittsburgh (albeit the AHL's Hornets) professional hockey player? Many have been skewered for less!

Last edited by bester vaive: 02-07-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester vaive View Post
pete, I'm enjoying Kevin Shea's "Toronto Maple Leafs: Diary of a Dynasty, 1957-1967" and during the Leafs 1963 Cup-run they faced a Red Wing named Peter Goegan. Have you ever caught any flak here for being named after a former Detroit and Pittsburgh (albeit the AHL's Hornets) professional hockey player? Many have been skewered for less!
My screen name is in tribute to that Pete Goegan, my first hockey hero as a kid when I watched him with the Hornets. No one has ever given me flack about it, though, since it was so long ago. Most of us, except the very youngest, we're fans before the CBJ came around, so there are lots of skeletons hidden!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Another fact about the depth Edmonton has built. Their top-5 forwards (Hall, Eberle, Hemsky, Yakupov and Gagner) plus Justin Schultz combined for 20 goals so far. All of those 5 forwards were 1st round picks.
The rest of the team (which is 17 NHL players) combined for only 3 goals in 10 games! And one of those 3 goals scored Blue Jackets' 6th round pick Lennart Petrell.

Is that how you build depth and develop prospects?
Perception is reality in drafting. Because of two unexpected late-round gems, Detroit acquired a reputation for being an exceptional drafting team despite the fact that it's quite clear that they are not. They've benefited enormously from the unexpected fall of a few players (who inevitably then get referred to as "the next Detroit late-round steal") on draft day.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:38 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
[QUOTE=bizzz;59216897]The fact that Edmonton uses the guy who played in the ECHL at 23 and has never been drafted as a 1st line center should tell you a lot about their depth at that position and their ability to develop own prospects. They weren't able to develop a single center in many-many years and just filling the roster with top picks.

And even their 1st overall pick looked lost this year. The Edmonton already moved Ryan Smyth to center and their announcers even suggested that Hall also should be playing at center. If Johansen played with Hall and Eberle he would have scored much more than RNH.

Well, let me expand that sentence a bit and put it this way:
Hall and Eberle looked like they have no idea who are they playing with and what is this guy doing in the NHL.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. During the lockout Hall and Eberle played in the AHL. When Nugent Hopkins went to play in the World Juniors, Arcobello stepped in to fill Nugent Hopkins spot. They ended up playing well together. So Eberle and Hall knows who he is. Apparently when they announced that he was getting the call up, a lot of the players in the dressing room started to cheer. They're happy that he is getting a chance in the NHL since he's been working hard, etc. Also, apparently when they signed him, he was meant to be a top 6 call up.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

St. Louis has been outscored 16-6 in the last three games.

Buffalo has allowed 3+ goals in each of their last 9 games, with 22 in the last 5 games.

Washington has yet to score more than 3 in a game.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:46 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_o_holic View Post
Incorrect. During the lockout Hall and Eberle played in the AHL. When Nugent Hopkins went to play in the World Juniors, Arcobello stepped in to fill Nugent Hopkins spot. They ended up playing well together. So Eberle and Hall knows who he is. Apparently when they announced that he was getting the call up, a lot of the players in the dressing room started to cheer. They're happy that he is getting a chance in the NHL since he's been working hard, etc. Also, apparently when they signed him, he was meant to be a top 6 call up.
I know that Hall and Eberle familiar with that guy. That's why I added "looked like" part. Maybe they cheered in the dressing room, but I don't think they were happy to play with him in the NHL game. He was awful and the Oil sent him back to the AHL very next day for a reason.
And the fact that Edmonton signed 23 years old ECHLer to be a top 6 call up should tell you a whole story about prospects development there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
St. Louis has been outscored 16-6 in the last three games.
The Jackets sucked the life out of them

Old
02-09-2013, 01:06 PM
InjuredChoker

Dana Tyrell from Tampa on waivers.. we don't really have room for him but could have been a good pick up.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:56 PM
bizzz*

Last night the Jackets scored 3 goals in regulation time. Only 2 out of 10 teams that played today were able to repeat it. No one scored 4.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:41 AM
EspenK

While checking my fantasy league disaster, I noticed my opponents goalie had 2 wins, a 1.00 gaa and a 965 save pct this week. Will someone please alert me as to when we can consider Cory Schneider a real NHL goalie. Thanks.

Old
02-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
While checking my fantasy league disaster, I noticed my opponents goalie had 2 wins, a 1.00 gaa and a 965 save pct this week. Will someone please alert me as to when we can consider Cory Schneider a real NHL goalie. Thanks.
How about when he becomes a starter in the NHL?

It doesn't take much to impress you, does it?

02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
How about when he becomes a starter in the NHL?

It doesn't take much to impress you, does it?
He'll be a starter as soon as Luongo is traded, if not before.

And as to your second point, I thank my lucky stars every day when I read all the posts here.

PS My fantasy goalies don't impress me at all.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:26 AM
SnowblindNYR

Hey folks, I was wonder how good was Nash's shot when he was with Columbus? So far he only has 2 goals and both were on a move, not a shot. He's shooting a lot and is 0 for when it comes to actual shots. Is this a valid concern? I always thought he had a good shot. I mean if he always did, I can't see it disappearing at 28.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:02 PM
EspenK

2 for 39 is a bit off for him. I would guess off the top of my head he is a 10-12% career. I wouldn't consider him to be a sniper more of a right place right time goal scorer. others may (and most likely will) disagree but that is my opinion.

Just checked- his career scoring % is 12.6 Last two years with Jackets he was 9.8 & 10.5

Old
02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Career shooting %

Richards .090
Nash .126
Gaborik .134

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...GEArpjaChivLYF

Old
02-10-2013, 12:22 PM
InjuredChoker

Wings lead LA 2-1 after first period. La has been the dominant team, though.

Old
02-10-2013, 01:29 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Wings lead LA 2-1 after first period. La has been the dominant team, though.
Howard's been fantastic. If Bomason was the goalie it'd be 13-2

Closed Thread