HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Why aren't the Avs a "1st CLASS" organization anymore?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
  #51
Drij
Registered User
 
Drij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Eh can't compare Toronto and Denver. Or Toronto to any market other than Montreal/NYR
Its the only team I can compare them to. Basicly everything you guys want the avs to do the leafs don't do.

The ACC hasn't been updated since it was built, the leafs don't interact with their fans, they don't do any marketing.

If someone can compare them to a smaller market team go ahead.

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:09 PM
  #52
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,398
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
To me the Blues are deeper up front and younger on the back end. Subtle differences that aren't so subtle.
Oh I absolutely agree, and it's not really close. I was more just looking at the rebuild timeframe - This is our 4th year since we started rebuilding. I feel like somewhere between the Blues 6 years and the Kings 9 is probably what we should expect to add the missing pieces to our core and surround them with better/more depth.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
  #53
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,398
vCash: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
Its the only team I can compare them to. Basicly everything you guys want the avs to do the leafs don't do.

The ACC hasn't been updated since it was built, the leafs don't interact with their fans, they don't do any marketing.

If someone can compare them to a smaller market team go ahead.
I lived in Edmonton and now Calgary and these cities also sell out arenas for god awful teams so again its not really comparable. However there is constant communication between the organization and fans through interviews, press conferences, and tons of community events, etc. I especially noticed these things in Edmonton.

The Leafs don't need to do anything, since they're the Leafs. They have enough of a base that it will take decades for them to lose some of their following (or an NFL team in Toronto one day).

I wonder if someone from another American city can chime in on what the presence of the respective team is like there.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM
  #54
ryanMcEZ
Registered User
 
ryanMcEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
I have seriously been considering switching allegiance and finding a NHL franchise that actually give a **** about their fans. If people in Denver are complaining about the lack of effort the team makes to interact with their fans and market the team...how can a guy in Hamilton feel ANY love from the franchise?

Being a Baltimore Raven fan...it is SO hard to cheer for this franchise. The Ravens IMHO opinion are the greatest franchise in the NFL. I feel like I am a part of Ravens Nation even though I am not even in the same country. They treat their fans with respect and always allow the fans as much insight into the team as possible. I absolutely love being a Ravens fan. The franchise has character, it has a certain swagger about it, from the owner to the players, and even the fans. (...Just realized where I was posting this and what happened 3 weeks ago...sorry guys ).

It is very hard to feel connected to this team when it seems the team really doesn't give a **** about you as a fan.

It's a tough task rooting for them but even a tougher task not to ... the problems of a fanatic

I feel like this franchise is a mess right now and a total overhaul in the FO/ownership is the only answer.

ryanMcEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
  #55
avalanchuck
Registered User
 
avalanchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMcEZ View Post
I have seriously been considering switching allegiance and finding a NHL franchise that actually give a **** about their fans. If people in Denver are complaining about the lack of effort the team makes to interact with their fans and market the team...how can a guy in Hamilton feel ANY love from the franchise?

Being a Baltimore Raven fan...it is SO hard to cheer for this franchise. The Ravens IMHO opinion are the greatest franchise in the NFL. I feel like I am a part of Ravens Nation even though I am not even in the same country. They treat their fans with respect and always allow the fans as much insight into the team as possible. I absolutely love being a Ravens fan. The franchise has character, it has a certain swagger about it, from the owner to the players, and even the fans. (...Just realized where I was posting this and what happened 3 weeks ago...sorry guys ).

It is very hard to feel connected to this team when it seems the team really doesn't give a **** about you as a fan.

It's a tough task rooting for them but even a tougher task not to ... the problems of a fanatic

I feel like this franchise is a mess right now and a total overhaul in the FO/ownership is the only answer.
Yeah I heard that the Ravens voted to give Rahim Moore a full share of the money they get for winning the Superbowl.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
  #56
ryanMcEZ
Registered User
 
ryanMcEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanchuck View Post
Yeah I heard that the Ravens voted to give Rahim Moore a full share of the money they get for winning the Superbowl.
Dont forget a ring too!!

ryanMcEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:08 AM
  #57
Appleanche
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
That's because the Avs management said that they would not be spending until after this CBA was made. We're also not just one or two signings away from being a contender, so it would largely be wasted anyway. Plus, you've seen the retarded contracts the big free agents have been getting, and those are guys who have a choice on where they go... why would they want to come to one of the worst teams in the conference?

This isn't the playstation where nobody has free will and you can trade Kobasew and get Crosby.
I agree and disagree, I know a lot of people here have a lot of unrealistic opinions on players, team, signings etc.. but this year when the cap is 8 years for UFAs the Avs might be smart to go after a guy like Correy Perry, at 28 at the end of the season he'll be in his prime and still have a good 4-6 years before he starts to probably drop.

This is a free agent year where a lot of teams will not be able to go for Perry, leaving the Avs as maybe one of the few teams that can pay for him and be one of the ones closest to competitors (say vs Islanders, Columbus, etc)..

I realize defense is probably are biggest issue but Perry wouldn't just be great for this team as a guy who can really score (37 last, 50 before, 60 and 98 points total as well) but as guy who can be a veteran leader of a team.. he'll immediately make Duchene, Landeskog, and ROR better (if he ever wants to play) by playing with and around them and that will inevitably help them grow as players. Plus it would put a lot of the pressure and spotlight on him and a lot of it naturally off 20 and 22 year olds that as talented as they are shouldn't be put in that position.

The Avs should be able to afford him and be able to keep the core.. no team has ever won a cup without major free agent signings or trades. LA last year had the Carter trade, the Bruins the Seguin trade and Chara signings (among others), etc.. the Avs will not be able to do it alone unless they want to go for the first overall the next 3-4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
I lived in Edmonton and now Calgary and these cities also sell out arenas for god awful teams so again its not really comparable. However there is constant communication between the organization and fans through interviews, press conferences, and tons of community events, etc. I especially noticed these things in Edmonton.

The Leafs don't need to do anything, since they're the Leafs. They have enough of a base that it will take decades for them to lose some of their following (or an NFL team in Toronto one day).

I wonder if someone from another American city can chime in on what the presence of the respective team is like there.
Honestly, hockey is the dominant sport in Canada (obviously), while in the US the Avs have to compete for the sports dollar with the Nuggets, Broncos, Rockies, Rapids, and other smaller teams/sports. While they make be totally different sports, at the end of the day people may only be able to attend a few games a year.. when you're team is not so good and the Broncos had the best record in the AFC, the Nuggets have gone 31-18 so far, the Rockies sucked last season but it's still baseball and will always be fairly popular (32k a game for the Rockies.. winning helps people choose to pay for the Avs game but so does marketing, fan offers, and really connecting with the city. The Avs haven't done that.


Last edited by Appleanche: 02-07-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Appleanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:41 AM
  #58
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 70,940
vCash: 499
I've been thinking about my reply to this thread for a while, so I hope what follows is coherent.

When the Avalanche first came to Denver, they had it easy. They had a team with some of the best players in hockey who made winning look easy. They were doing this in a city that didn't have much else to cheer sports-wise. And when you've got as many great players as the Avs had for the first 8/9 years, it's easy to be a "first class" organisation. You out out a winning product, and everything else takes care of itself, as has been mentioned in this thead already.

We all know how the cap screwed us, and that's fne. It sucked then and it still sucks now but as a team we had to go through that period, to give everyone involved a sense of perspective. We had to change, at least in the manner of how the team was constructed, and we have. The problem here is that while results started going down, nothing else started going up. I don't know what like Avalanche transparency was like pre-04/05 (quite sad that I can't call that just "lockout," but anyway) and I don't know what they're like as an organisation locally in terms of fan interaction, but from my perspective, the whole thing from top to bottom doesn't care about its fans.

There's no transparency in the operation. We have a coach, them we have a GM and a scouting staff, and then what? We have Joe Sakic somewhere who as far as I can tell has done nothing since taking his made up role within the team (and hey, who better to take an executive position with the Avalanche than a man renowned for not talking to the press), we have a man who seems to have been at death's door for years in Pierre Lacroix who acts as "president," what is he supposed to do in the running of the Avalanche? Why do none of the people responsible for running the Avalanche realise that they're int he 21st century, a time where image is important in maintaining your brand's relevancy? You don't have a team that can gloss over any deficiencies by winning, you need to act positively to keep fans enganged, and that doesn't happen.

There's no sense of accountability that is born out of this wall of silence too. This Dater piece sums the stuff up pretty well as well as covering other stuff said in this thread re: the media and so on, there's no realism with the Avs. How often does anyone in a position of authority within the Avalanche speak? You have the players and the coaches who fulfill their media duties pre- and post-games, what else is there? The coach is a guy who has to talk his position up anyway, the players on occaision note their failings (Duchene after last night's game as an example which I can't find but which Dater makes reference to again here) but what else is there after that? You see teams that have stunk for years much longer and much harder than us like Columbus and the Islanders, teams who still realise the importance of keeping fans engaged in the team when the on-ice tproduct does everything it can to drive them away. That's what has never been a part of this team and what it needs more than anything right now.

To sum up, there are parts of this team I trust. I trust the players on the most part and if we had Landeskog, Downie and O'Reilly we would obviously be better off. I trust Sherman as GM (though every day the ROR situation goes on the more points he loses), I trust the scouting staff, and that's about it. I've lost all faith in Sacco. I've long lost faith in anyone above Sherman to bring a shred of accountability to this team, even realism would be nice. And I don't think anything is going to change until someone up there realises that these things have to change.

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
  #59
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 500
The way I see it, the Avs stopped being a first class organization the moment Pierre Lacroix realized his years of riding the wealth of talent he inherited as GM of the Nordiques was over and his priorities changed.

He did a fine job wheeling and dealing with the booty of the Lindros trade as an asset for many years. Then comes the salary cap era and Lacroix more than any other GM in the league was completely unprepared to deal with it. He quickly maneuvered to take a step back so that he wouldn't have to directly feel the heat of being a GM while he still maintained enough control of the organization to take care of his people.

Kroenke meanwhile has never had a passion for winning in hockey. He would spend when the team was competing every year but the moment that was over and he got burned by a poor team with a high payroll (due to Lacroix wanting to take care of his son's buddy, Tony Granato), he tightened his purse strings and won't spend again until the team manages to compete again with the lowest payroll in the league. Ultimately the Kroenke's are business men and they understand the value of making money, but they'd rather break even than risk losing money on the team with the long term goal of making even more money via long playoff runs the way they used to.

Ultimately the organization has gone from one with a goal to win the Stanley Cup every year to an organization whose top priorities are not losing money and taking care of Lacroix's people. The Stanley Cup isn't even a consideration anymore.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  #60
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
The way I see it, the Avs stopped being a first class organization the moment Pierre Lacroix realized his years of riding the wealth of talent he inherited as GM of the Nordiques was over and his priorities changed.

He did a fine job wheeling and dealing with the booty of the Lindros trade as an asset for many years. Then comes the salary cap era and Lacroix more than any other GM in the league was completely unprepared to deal with it. He quickly maneuvered to take a step back so that he wouldn't have to directly feel the heat of being a GM while he still maintained enough control of the organization to take care of his people.

Kroenke meanwhile has never had a passion for winning in hockey. He would spend when the team was competing every year but the moment that was over and he got burned by a poor team with a high payroll (due to Lacroix wanting to take care of his son's buddy, Tony Granato), he tightened his purse strings and won't spend again until the team manages to compete again with the lowest payroll in the league. Ultimately the Kroenke's are business men and they understand the value of making money, but they'd rather break even than risk losing money on the team with the long term goal of making even more money via long playoff runs the way they used to.

Ultimately the organization has gone from one with a goal to win the Stanley Cup every year to an organization whose top priorities are not losing money and taking care of Lacroix's people. The Stanley Cup isn't even a consideration anymore.
Did his priorities change? You guys act like it's the easiest thing in the world, to build a winner, yet it's weird, only ONE team gets to hoist that cup every year. It's true, the Avs DID go from being at the top of the league and perennial Stanley Cup contender to a team that has trouble making the playoffs but how do you lose Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, Blake and the rest without some sort of 're-set' at some point?

There's no real defense for the organization's short-sighted views on coaching though. That is going to be something that is going to have to change at some point but I think Sakic will see to that in time.

As for your last paragraph, I'll say this. To have a goal to 'win the cup' when you don't even come close to "having the horses" is just plain stupid. You have to take your lumps and yeah, sometimes it sucks. As an owner, 'not losing money' would certainly be at the top of my priorities, IF THE TEAM IS GOING TO STINK ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! I've said it before numerous times, this team is following the same blueprint they had when they were the Nordiques.

P.S. - I love how people act like the Pittsburgh Penguins just got really, really GOOD overnight and never got the TWO 1st overall picks to draft Crosby & Fleury and TWO 2nd overall picks to draft Malkin and Staal. Never happened.

I think I'm going to dig up a "The Penguins owners don't care about winning and don't contend for the cup every year like they used to thread" from 2004.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:21 PM
  #61
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B.C. Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Did his priorities change? You guys act like it's the easiest thing in the world, to build a winner, yet it's weird, only ONE team gets to hoist that cup every year. It's true, the Avs DID go from being at the top of the league and perennial Stanley Cup contender to a team that has trouble making the playoffs but how do you lose Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, Blake and the rest without some sort of 're-set' at some point?

There's no real defense for the organization's short-sighted views on coaching though. That is going to be something that is going to have to change at some point but I think Sakic will see to that in time.

As for your last paragraph, I'll say this. To have a goal to 'win the cup' when you don't even come close to "having the horses" is just plain stupid. You have to take your lumps and yeah, sometimes it sucks. As an owner, 'not losing money' would certainly be at the top of my priorities, IF THE TEAM IS GOING TO STINK ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! I've said it before numerous times, this team is following the same blueprint they had when they were the Nordiques.

P.S. - I love how people act like the Pittsburgh Penguins just got really, really GOOD overnight and never got the TWO 1st overall picks to draft Crosby & Fleury and TWO 2nd overall picks to draft Malkin and Staal. Never happened.

I think I'm going to dig up a "The Penguins owners don't care about winning and don't contend for the cup every year like they used to thread" from 2004.
I'll add that they almost moved as well.
Good post. But we still need to replace Sacco to help the kids learn and Barrie needs to play.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:48 PM
  #62
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
I'll add that they almost moved as well.
Good post. But we still need to replace Sacco to help the kids learn and Barrie needs to play.
I would say that this is starting to get to stage CRITICAL now because looking at EJ and Varly, they are starting to get a demoralized look on their faces and you just cannot let that drag on for too long.

Even if you bring in Quinn to take over in the interim and it only yields moderate results, that will still be a positive for this team. I'd only expect that to happen by mid-March at the earliest though, when we're already truly out of it.

I really believe though, that management knows exactly all too well what they are getting with Joe Sacco and they are keeping him at the helm by design.

Those holes on D aren't going to fill themselves without trades that will open up other holes elsewhere in our lineup.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:47 PM
  #63
Commander Enigma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Did his priorities change? You guys act like it's the easiest thing in the world, to build a winner, yet it's weird, only ONE team gets to hoist that cup every year. It's true, the Avs DID go from being at the top of the league and perennial Stanley Cup contender to a team that has trouble making the playoffs but how do you lose Sakic, Roy, Forsberg, Blake and the rest without some sort of 're-set' at some point?

There's no real defense for the organization's short-sighted views on coaching though. That is going to be something that is going to have to change at some point but I think Sakic will see to that in time.

As for your last paragraph, I'll say this. To have a goal to 'win the cup' when you don't even come close to "having the horses" is just plain stupid. You have to take your lumps and yeah, sometimes it sucks. As an owner, 'not losing money' would certainly be at the top of my priorities, IF THE TEAM IS GOING TO STINK ONE WAY OR ANOTHER! I've said it before numerous times, this team is following the same blueprint they had when they were the Nordiques.

P.S. - I love how people act like the Pittsburgh Penguins just got really, really GOOD overnight and never got the TWO 1st overall picks to draft Crosby & Fleury and TWO 2nd overall picks to draft Malkin and Staal. Never happened.

I think I'm going to dig up a "The Penguins owners don't care about winning and don't contend for the cup every year like they used to thread" from 2004.
Yes, I think his priorities changed. But we can agree to disagree on that. What I do think should be obvious is that he has not been willing to change some of his priorities in the wake of mediocrity. The whole Granato fiasco, a five year ordeal, is a testimony to that. When the team was coasted on the talent Lacroix inherited, his good ol' boys could be taken care of while keeping the team at the top. When the talent dipped and the success faltered, has there been any consideration that perhaps looking outside the good ol' boys network might be in the best interests of the team's future? None. So offer an argument that the Stanley Cup is still a priority over running the team "the Lacroix way", now that it is apparent the two priorities are in conflict.

I'm not sure why people are reading my words and coming up with "the team needs to win the Stanley Cup overnight". You are pulling that out of nowhere, or from someone else's posts. Read again. There was a time when the team's goal was to win the Cup every year. The goal now still needs to be winning the Cup. Not this year, with this team, but in two, three, five years... yes. The goal still needs to be, this year, with this team, getting the team closer. Getting them better. From what I see that has taken a back seat to other priorities.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:23 AM
  #64
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,888
vCash: 500
Had season tickets from the beginning until I had to move west for work. I was one of the lucky ones. The club was terrific while I was there. The last game I attended was the 2001 cup game 7. It is sad to see what has become of a proud franchise. Pierre Lacroix hit the jackpot with 2 trades early on, for Roy and Ozolinsh. Since then, he has been a very poor GM and then puppeteer. The lack of commitment from management is shocking. The current GM appears to be a dolt. He has gutted a once promising young defense corps into a jumbled disaster. He overpaid for Varlamov, although Varlamov seems to be doing well. Seeing the building half empty is depressing. Seeing this team when they come to SoCal as I do, I cannot figure out what the heck they are trying to do. There are talented forwards.........but crappy results. I an surprised that Sherman and Sacco have lasted this long. As for the organization talking to the press.....Pierre was always a complete *****. Met him once at a game in LA, and he was a total *****. Apparently, nothing has changed. Mike Haynes must be dying a thousand deaths these days.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:29 AM
  #65
BrickAHL
#NotUs
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Had season tickets from the beginning until I had to move west for work. I was one of the lucky ones. The club was terrific while I was there. The last game I attended was the 2001 cup game 7. It is sad to see what has become of a proud franchise. Pierre Lacroix hit the jackpot with 2 trades early on, for Roy and Ozolinsh. Since then, he has been a very poor GM and then puppeteer. The lack of commitment from management is shocking. The current GM appears to be a dolt. He has gutted a once promising young defense corps into a jumbled disaster. He overpaid for Varlamov, although Varlamov seems to be doing well. Seeing the building half empty is depressing. Seeing this team when they come to SoCal as I do, I cannot figure out what the heck they are trying to do. There are talented forwards.........but crappy results. I an surprised that Sherman and Sacco have lasted this long. As for the organization talking to the press.....Pierre was always a complete *****. Met him once at a game in LA, and he was a total *****. Apparently, nothing has changed. Mike Haynes must be dying a thousand deaths these days.
What?

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:14 AM
  #66
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Had season tickets from the beginning until I had to move west for work. I was one of the lucky ones. The club was terrific while I was there. The last game I attended was the 2001 cup game 7. It is sad to see what has become of a proud franchise. Pierre Lacroix hit the jackpot with 2 trades early on, for Roy and Ozolinsh. Since then, he has been a very poor GM and then puppeteer. The lack of commitment from management is shocking. The current GM appears to be a dolt. He has gutted a once promising young defense corps into a jumbled disaster. He overpaid for Varlamov, although Varlamov seems to be doing well. Seeing the building half empty is depressing. Seeing this team when they come to SoCal as I do, I cannot figure out what the heck they are trying to do. There are talented forwards.........but crappy results. I an surprised that Sherman and Sacco have lasted this long. As for the organization talking to the press.....Pierre was always a complete *****. Met him once at a game in LA, and he was a total *****. Apparently, nothing has changed. Mike Haynes must be dying a thousand deaths these days.


Varlamov is keeping this team together. If he had proper defense in front of him, he would be one of the top goalies in NHL. Colorado has the worst defense in NHL, so It's not really Varly's fault. I'm surprised as well, that Sacco has lasted this long, because he truly sucked couple years ago, but whatever.

Colorado Avalanche is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
  #67
foppagirl21
Registered User
 
foppagirl21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,301
vCash: 500
I do not comment much anymore, but wanted to say something here.

Lacroix is proud - too proud. The Avs were on easy street when they came to Denver. They won and players wanted, desired, to come to a star studded, annually Cup contending team. Now, not so much. The Avs cannot buy who they want anymore.

The culture in the front office needs to change desperately. Back in the day, players would kill to come to Colorado. Now? Nope. It is no longer the "honor" to don the burgundy and blue like Lacroix made it seem back in the glory years. The "take it or leave it" mentality concerning players' contracts during negotiations needs to go away. "Oh, you don't like the offer? Well then you won't be playing for the esteemed Avalanche" really doesn't work now.

I could rant, but it's not worth wasting my energy. I'll close with this: back in the day, winning was the Avs' marketing. Today: no marketing is the team's marketing. Awesome, eh? Lacroix needs some sense smacked into him. ...or he needs to leave.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
  #68
Razor29
52-22-8
 
Razor29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,170
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I do not comment much anymore, but wanted to say something here.

Lacroix is proud - too proud. The Avs were on easy street when they came to Denver. They won and players wanted, desired, to come to a star studded, annually Cup contending team. Now, not so much. The Avs cannot buy who they want anymore.

The culture in the front office needs to change desperately. Back in the day, players would kill to come to Colorado. Now? Nope. It is no longer the "honor" to don the burgundy and blue like Lacroix made it seem back in the glory years. The "take it or leave it" mentality concerning players' contracts during negotiations needs to go away. "Oh, you don't like the offer? Well then you won't be playing for the esteemed Avalanche" really doesn't work now.

I could rant, but it's not worth wasting my energy. I'll close with this: back in the day, winning was the Avs' marketing. Today: no marketing is the team's marketing. Awesome, eh? Lacroix needs some sense smacked into him. ...or he needs to leave.
Pretty much bang on.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
  #69
avalanchuck
Registered User
 
avalanchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Had season tickets from the beginning until I had to move west for work. I was one of the lucky ones. The club was terrific while I was there. The last game I attended was the 2001 cup game 7. It is sad to see what has become of a proud franchise. Pierre Lacroix hit the jackpot with 2 trades early on, for Roy and Ozolinsh. Since then, he has been a very poor GM and then puppeteer. The lack of commitment from management is shocking. The current GM appears to be a dolt. He has gutted a once promising young defense corps into a jumbled disaster. He overpaid for Varlamov, although Varlamov seems to be doing well. Seeing the building half empty is depressing. Seeing this team when they come to SoCal as I do, I cannot figure out what the heck they are trying to do. There are talented forwards.........but crappy results. I an surprised that Sherman and Sacco have lasted this long. As for the organization talking to the press.....Pierre was always a complete *****. Met him once at a game in LA, and he was a total *****. Apparently, nothing has changed. Mike Haynes must be dying a thousand deaths these days.
Don't forget the Bourque & Blake trades but there were deals that didn't pan out all that well... Theo Fleury & the signings Selanne & Kariya. But the last Paul & Teamu orchestrated their reunion with the Avs so Kariya would be a UFA and cash in after his 1 year deal with the Avs was up. Both were injured and Selanne was in Granato's doghouse for one reason or another.

avalanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
  #70
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Lacroix is proud - too proud.
I'd like to substitute the word 'arrogant' for 'proud' here, if you don't mind. The rest of your post is bang on, IMO.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
  #71
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,936
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I do not comment much anymore, but wanted to say something here.

Lacroix is proud - too proud. The Avs were on easy street when they came to Denver. They won and players wanted, desired, to come to a star studded, annually Cup contending team. Now, not so much. The Avs cannot buy who they want anymore.

The culture in the front office needs to change desperately. Back in the day, players would kill to come to Colorado. Now? Nope. It is no longer the "honor" to don the burgundy and blue like Lacroix made it seem back in the glory years. The "take it or leave it" mentality concerning players' contracts during negotiations needs to go away. "Oh, you don't like the offer? Well then you won't be playing for the esteemed Avalanche" really doesn't work now.

I could rant, but it's not worth wasting my energy. I'll close with this: back in the day, winning was the Avs' marketing. Today: no marketing is the team's marketing. Awesome, eh? Lacroix needs some sense smacked into him. ...or he needs to leave.
Yeah this is pretty accurate.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  #72
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
I do not comment much anymore, but wanted to say something here.

Lacroix is proud - too proud. The Avs were on easy street when they came to Denver. They won and players wanted, desired, to come to a star studded, annually Cup contending team. Now, not so much. The Avs cannot buy who they want anymore.

The culture in the front office needs to change desperately. Back in the day, players would kill to come to Colorado. Now? Nope. It is no longer the "honor" to don the burgundy and blue like Lacroix made it seem back in the glory years. The "take it or leave it" mentality concerning players' contracts during negotiations needs to go away. "Oh, you don't like the offer? Well then you won't be playing for the esteemed Avalanche" really doesn't work now.

I could rant, but it's not worth wasting my energy. I'll close with this: back in the day, winning was the Avs' marketing. Today: no marketing is the team's marketing. Awesome, eh? Lacroix needs some sense smacked into him. ...or he needs to leave.
Dead-on.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.