HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Canucks & Oilers

Old
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1800
No thanks. I'd only deal Schneider to Edmonton in a package for one of the big 4(preferably Eberle).

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Remember2004

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan87 View Post
Why would the oilers do this?
Hemsky>>>Higgins
Fistric>>>Ballard (when you take contract into account)
Dubnyk>Schneider (Dubynk is an average starter while Schneider is an elite backup)
LOL what? I'm a Flames fan and no matter who you are you can't

justify that. This post for the most part is bias.

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Auger

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Higgins:
.49 ppg

Hemsky
.76 ppg

over their careers

Fistric hasnt played much this season but at this stage in there careers Ballard and Fistric are pretty even. Ballard is pretty brutal
Ballard is much better than Fistric not even a question. And you can tell that Hemsky is moderate trash when you compare his career ppg to a third liner. When was the last time Hemsky played anything close to a full season? 7 years ago? The guy can barely do anything, and he costs 5mil. In terms of value Hemsky is equal to Higgins at best.

Auger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Remember2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
A backup that has beaten the Canucks once and lost in a shoot out the other time.

Right now looking at this season Dubnyk would win hands down.

Oilers get hosed here, Dubnyk = Schneider and if Schneider doesn't step up and prove he's that starting goalie, then he's not a match for Dubnyk. The way Hemsky is playing right now, I don't think a package of Ballard and Higgins would get you Hemsky alone. Then the Oilers have to add Fistric, someone's dreaming here.
Okay right now looking at this season Lee Stempniak is doing better

than Burrows so Stempniak > Burrows? I don't think so...

Remember2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
Aceonfire*

There should never be trade proposals around Van and Edm.

Why would either team help the other fill holes?

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post
To Vancouver:

F Ales Hemsky (5.0M thru 13/14)
D Mark Fistric (1.5M thru 12/13)
G Devan Dubnyk (3.5M thru 13/14)

To Edmonton:

F Chris Higgins (1.9M thru 12/13)
D Keith Ballard (4.2M thru 14/15)
G Cory Schneider (4.0M thru 14/15)

Canucks add a key piece to their forward crop in their current Cup chase. Oilers add a long term goaltending stud to backbone their hoard of draft lottery youngstars.
Terrible value for the Nucks.

Higgins > Hemsky (Due to cost and likely statistics for this season)
Ballard > Fistric (Seriously...)
Schneider > Dubnyk (Neither would start ahead of Luongo. Schneider has posted much better numbers prior to two games)

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:35 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Higgins:
.49 ppg

Hemsky
.76 ppg

over their careers

Fistric hasnt played much this season but at this stage in there careers Ballard and Fistric are pretty even. Ballard is pretty brutal
and yet another poster who's proven that he/she doesn't follow the games, and just bases everything on scouting reports from 2yrs ago.

Ballard has consistently improved since he arrived in Vancouver 2 yrs ago and had his brutal season, not in small part due to facing major injuries for the first time in his hockey life (which includes his development time prior to being in the NHL).

Last season he was already making huge strides and was one of the Canucks best defenders down the stretch and in the playoffs. This season he's again built on that (note: the consistent improvement he's shown), and is currently playing like the Canucks 2nd best dman.

Anyone who continues to suggest he's been "brutal" has just not watched him play at all this season or last, and is still sticking to the scouting reports from 2 seasons ago. By that measure, I guess you can say that Dubynk has been pretty brutal and is certainly not a starting goalie anywhere - we are ignoring what players are doing this season, right?

As for the trade proposal, I would never trade Schneider to the Oilers. The only way that he goes there is if they overpay significantly and give up a key piece that they don't want to move - and I'm not suggesting that Schneider is worth one of the big 4, but if I'm giving the Oilers Schneider, that's what I'd want back, otherwise there's no way I'd consider addressing a division rival's biggest weakness by giving him a top young goalie that we're planning on building around.

as for the poster who suggested that Dubynk> Schneider

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:42 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
A backup that has beaten the Canucks once and lost in a shoot out the other time.

Oilers get hosed here, Dubnyk = Schneider and if Schneider doesn't step up and prove he's that starting goalie, then he's not a match for Dubnyk. The way Hemsky is playing right now, I don't think a package of Ballard and Higgins would get you Hemsky alone. Then the Oilers have to add Fistric, someone's dreaming here.
huh??

what are you basing this on?

Schneider has proven he's a starting goalie. He's had 1 bad period this season and that's reflected on his season stats - and that was the first game of the year, where he was shelled and pulled after 26 mins.... since then his save% this season - in all his other games combined - has been close to .940!

What the hell does he have to do to "step up and prove he's a starting goalie"?? Schneider has the best number of any goalie in the game over the past 2 seasons. He's had 1 bad start to this season, and has improved since, posting excellent numbers in his other games, which includes shutting out the same team that he was pulled against in game 1.

People need to pay more attention to the actual games, instead of just making blanket statments that make no sense. There's nothing more for Schneider to prove - he's proven that he's a quality starting goalie in this league. He's done that by posting better numbers than any goalie in the game over the past 2 seasons. And if you look at his game logs, you'll see that's not being sheltered against top teams - he was often getting the toughest starts of the year last year...

and just to add, the playoff games he played last year, he ended up posting the same incredible numbers he has in the regular season.

26 mins of hockey to start the year after a lockout, does not define a player. If you look at just the stats sheet and ignore his actual performances though, you wouldn't know any better.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
huh??

what are you basing this on?

Schneider has proven he's a starting goalie. He's had 1 bad period this season and that's reflected on his season stats - and that was the first game of the year, where he was shelled and pulled after 26 mins.... since then his save% this season - in all his other games combined - has been close to .940!

What the hell does he have to do to "step up and prove he's a starting goalie"?? Schneider has the best number of any goalie in the game over the past 2 seasons. He's had 1 bad start to this season, and has improved since, posting excellent numbers in his other games, which includes shutting out the same team that he was pulled against in game 1.

People need to pay more attention to the actual games, instead of just making blanket statments that make no sense. There's nothing more for Schneider to prove - he's proven that he's a quality starting goalie in this league. He's done that by posting better numbers than any goalie in the game over the past 2 seasons. And if you look at his game logs, you'll see that's not being sheltered against top teams - he was often getting the toughest starts of the year last year...

and just to add, the playoff games he played last year, he ended up posting the same incredible numbers he has in the regular season.

26 mins of hockey to start the year after a lockout, does not define a player. If you look at just the stats sheet and ignore his actual performances though, you wouldn't know any better.
I fully agree with this.

But its funny because if you take out the 1st period of the SJ game it which DD let in 6 hed also have a .940 sv %. Schnieders is better but not by a huge margin

Aceboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Terrible value for the Nucks.

Higgins > Hemsky (Due to cost and likely statistics for this season)
Ballard > Fistric (Seriously...)
Schneider > Dubnyk (Neither would start ahead of Luongo. Schneider has posted much better numbers prior to two games)
Saying Higgins>Hemsky is just as crazy as saying Dubynk > Schnieder

Old
02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

What bearing does a two game sample size against an injured Canucks squad have on the situation? We can't afford to keep Schneider and Luongo next year without gutting or depth, what makes you think we can afford to roll with Dubnyk and Luongo? Especially if we're adding Hemsky for Higgins, who makes almost the times as much money.

This trade makes zero sense from the Canucks POV.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:45 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
What bearing does a two game sample size against an injured Canucks squad have on the situation? We can't afford to keep Schneider and Luongo next year without gutting or depth, what makes you think we can afford to roll with Dubnyk and Luongo? Especially if we're adding Hemsky for Higgins, who makes almost the times as much money.

This trade makes zero sense from the Canucks POV.
Dubnyk has played on a bad team, with a terrible D, were as Schneider has played on a very good team with a excellent D. This trade will never happen, but what would Dubnyk's stats be if he had a team like the Canucks in front of him. It's debatable which one is better and Schneider has proven anything until he plays a full season as a starter and 33 games is not a full season.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
a pony

Dubnyk has been the very least of the Oilers problems, and even if you brought in 2007 vintage Luongo things wouldn't change terribly much. You guys can argue whom is better between Schnieder and Devon all day but this exchange makes no sense to either team.

Also major piece swaps between division rivals never happens for obvious reasons.

a pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Vancouver Canucks*

No thanks, Jeff

Ballard & Tanev have been solid

Vancouver Canucks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan87 View Post
Why would the oilers do this?
Hemsky>>>Higgins
Fistric>>>Ballard (when you take contract into account)
Dubnyk>Schneider (Dubynk is an average starter while Schneider is an elite backup)
This was as far as I needed to go in this thread. That is some blatant unadulterated homerism right there. Whoa.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Dubnyk has played on a bad team, with a terrible D, were as Schneider has played on a very good team with a excellent D. This trade will never happen, but what would Dubnyk's stats be if he had a team like the Canucks in front of him. It's debatable which one is better and Schneider has proven anything until he plays a full season as a starter and 33 games is not a full season.
I don't think you're hearing me here. Even if by some miracle the value was good, it still doesn't work for us due to cap constraints.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
enuck
Relax and enjoy

Don't see this happening in this lifetime.

enuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:57 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I don't think you're hearing me here. Even if by some miracle the value was good, it still doesn't work for us due to cap constraints.
I understand, I'm not saying the trade make sense, if anything for Edmonton it doesn't.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:37 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Last year it was the Luongo/Schneider tandem that made our defenceman look good. Same again this year. To say otherwise suggests you didn't watch any games last year.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in 94 View Post
Last year it was the Luongo/Schneider tandem that made our defenceman look good. Same again this year. To say otherwise suggests you didn't watch any games last year.
But Ballard is really good?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

vCash: 366
Quote:
Ballard and tanev have been our best and most consistent pairing this year. They can't play the whole game.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Saying Higgins>Hemsky is just as crazy as saying Dubynk > Schnieder
Not once you had context. Hemsky and Higgins had similar seasons a year ago, except the latter is paid less than half. While Hemsky is better than Higgins in terms of overall skill. His contract is not that appealing.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:21 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Ballard spent the lockout at home in Minnesota constantly skating and scrimmaging with other native Minnesotans and Wild players, so was better prepared for the start of the season than the rest of the D. As the season's progressed Edler, Hamhuis, Garrison and Bieksa have all started to settle in, but Ballard and Tanev have been our best defensemen out of the gate.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Not once you had context. Hemsky and Higgins had similar seasons a year ago, except the latter is paid less than half. While Hemsky is better than Higgins in terms of overall skill. His contract is not that appealing.
Yeah but the same argument can be raised about Dubynk and Schnieder if you take into account 2nd half of last season and first 10 games now. And the contract issue can be raised with Ballard, either way the two teams would never make this deal

Old
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Fire this man

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Yeah but the same argument can be raised about Dubynk and Schnieder if you take into account 2nd half of last season and first 10 games now. And the contract issue can be raised with Ballard, either way the two teams would never make this deal
Didn't Hemsky and Horcoff play 3rd line quality minutes...i.e. against team's top offensive lines last year? I thought I read that somewhere thus you saw artificially low numbers for Hemmer and Shawn.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote