HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Parise who? Is Clarkson becoming a legit first line winger?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Bleedred
LATEST VICTIM!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't think there's any question Parise would have had a better start here. Parise - Zajac - Kovalchuk to start the season PLUS moving Zubrus down to the second or third line where he's more suited? This team would look GREAT.

I'm glad we didn't keep Parise at that length, but he would fix almost all of our forward problems this and next season if he had stayed.
Yeah it's the truth. One thing in our favor is we're on pace for about 7 less goals this season than last (Pretending it's an 82 game season) but we're also on pace to give up 33 less goals than last season in an 82 game.

The Capitals, and Panthers made the playoffs with negative goal differentials last year. Panthers were a -24.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

We'd be a little screwed for depth moves if we had all that money invested in our top line. I think, in the long run, we're better off. It's just a shaky start til the team finds its groove again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah it's the truth. One thing in our favor is we're on pace for about 7 less goals this season than last (Pretending it's an 82 game season) but we're also on pace to give up 33 less goals than last season in an 82 game.
Like I was saying in the offseason... it's not about the goals, it's about the goal differential

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with him on the second line.. this is twice he's excelled with Elias as a linemate. He produces on the second line and there's no denying that.
As I said before, though, he is the PERFECT third liner. A true compliment on the 2nd line, but in a perfect world, he's on the 3rd.

I don't know how to describe it, I wouldn't call him a play maker.
But he's really good at driving the play. He's one of the best at keeping pucks alive and keeping the play moving so sustain pressure.

Not because of great passing ability, but because of how relentless he attacks the puck. That's the part of his game that elevates all the rest of his skills.
Very well put.

Also I don't mean to say Parise is a playmaker, but his physical ability to pass the puck is excellent. I think a lot of people take that skill of his for granted. He just knows how to get the puck to other players, even if it's ugly.

Those are the easy examples off the top of my head. To not consider it a skill of his is just ignorance, in my opinion. There's a reason he worked so well with Kovalchuk and Henrique, even when everyone was saying he's "too much of a shooter" for that line to work.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with him on the second line.. this is twice he's excelled with Elias as a linemate. He produces on the second line and there's no denying that.
As I said before, though, he is the PERFECT third liner. A true compliment on the 2nd line, but in a perfect world, he's on the 3rd.
I think at some point, people need to realize it is not 2009 anymore.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:33 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I think at some point, people need to realize it is not 2009 anymore.
I do not understand what you're trying to say to me here.

Having a 30 goal scorer with grit is amazing 3rd line material. It speaks of depth and a team that is hard as hell to play against.

Poni-Henrique-Clarkson of last year's playoffs is a killer 3rd line. This is no knock on Clarkson, it's a wish list for a team as deep as the Devils were last year.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:36 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Very well put.

Also I don't mean to say Parise is a playmaker, but his physical ability to pass the puck is excellent. I think a lot of people take that skill of his for granted. He just knows how to get the puck to other players, even if it's ugly.

Those are the easy examples off the top of my head. To not consider it a skill of his is just ignorance, in my opinion. There's a reason he worked so well with Kovalchuk and Henrique, even when everyone was saying he's "too much of a shooter" for that line to work.
Zach was 45th in the league in assists last year. He's a good passer. Not great, not excellent. He's a better goal scorer then distributor.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

That's what I said previously. If the Devils want to compete for the Cup once again, Clarkson's better suited for the 3rd line. The Devils 3rd line is a scoring line not a checking one, so that's where David belongs. Winning is all about depth, there's still the need to trade for another legit top 6 winger.

Also people are quick to forget which kind of season Zubrus just had last year. I thought 44 pts, +/- +7 facing the toughest competition on the team deserved some credit.

What have you done for me lately Dainius ?

Yashintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Zach was 45th in the league in assists last year. He's a good passer. Not great, not excellent. He's a better goal scorer then distributor.
What I'm saying is he's an EXCELLENT passer. He's not a great playmaker or distributor. He won't make the heady plays and crazy passes through the seams, but when an open player needs the puck, it gets there. It's that sort of consistency that separates true top line players from guys like Zubrus and Clarkson.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:07 AM
devilsblood

I dunno, what I'm seeing is Clarkson excelling playing with Elias. Basically carrying the team offensively through the early portion of the year. I'm not breaking that up. So if u want to label Elias Clarkson and Henrique, the 3rd line. Then I'll agree, Clarkson is perfect on the 3rd line.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
That's what I said previously. If the Devils want to compete for the Cup once again, Clarkson's better suited for the 3rd line. The Devils 3rd line is a scoring line not a checking one, so that's where David belongs. Winning is all about depth, there's still the need to trade for another legit top 6 winger.

Also people are quick to forget which kind of season Zubrus just had last year. I thought 44 pts, +/- +7 facing the toughest competition on the team deserved some credit.

What have you done for me lately Dainius ?
Zub's is solid. He's a workman. And he chipped in 17g's. I won't argue.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:17 AM
apice3*

Clarkson's ability to pass has improved tenfold this year.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Clarkson's ability to pass has improved tenfold this year.
He had that look from the boards to Elias in the slot that absolutely blew my mind. Whether he's a good passer or not, the fact that he even saw that play ahead of time is an improvement over what we're used to seeing.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Imagine if we had a healthy Clarkson and Kovy in the Finals?? What could have been??
Or, imagine if our GOAT record setting PK hadn't been comically bad...

Still can't believe miserable penalty killing, of all things, cost us the Cup

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:51 AM
Bleedred
LATEST VICTIM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Or, imagine if our GOAT record setting PK hadn't been comically bad...

Still can't believe miserable penalty killing, of all things, cost us the Cup
Well going down, and not splitting the first two OT games at home is what cost us. PK was a joke in the SCF though. It almost cost us the Florida series. Both goals Florida scored in game 7 were PP goals too.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:50 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Don't mean to single u out because a lot of guys are saying the same, but what is this ****? Dude scored 30 last year and is off to a torrid start. Guy has easily been our best offensive player this year. And I don't mean just the goals.

OK, u don't want to give him 1st line status? All right, I can deal with that. but he is a legit 2nd line fwd one. A good one at that.
Yes, and ideally, we'd have that 30 goal scorer on the third line. I have nothing against him being on the second line, but I'd prefer to have the top end talent in order to push Clarkson to the third line. He is just as productive with just about any linemates, which is incredible. After Kovy, Clarkson might be the guy on the team most capable of producing offence by himself.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Stevens 4

How many other teams had a 30 goal scorer on the 3rd line last season? Did any? We got lucky last season was when he broke out, and that we had so much depth, but we're kidding ourselves if we think we'll have the depth every season to slot him on the 3rd line in a salary cap era.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:59 PM
apice3*

Quote:
He had that look from the boards to Elias in the slot that absolutely blew my mind. Whether he's a good passer or not, the fact that he even saw that play ahead of time is an improvement over what we're used to seeing.
Are you referring to the one in the defensive zone to start a breakout? I was completely floored when he did that one.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Are you referring to the one in the defensive zone to start a breakout? I was completely floored when he did that one.
No, it was in the offensive zone. He threw it to Elias who made a nice redirect that either went just wide or was tipped by Lundqvist. At the time, it looked like the pass caught Elias completely by surprise.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Addicted

vCash: 209
Still No, a thousand times no.

"Extinction is the rule, survival is the exception." - Carl Sagan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM
CerebralGenesis

haha good bump

and i'll stick with my first answer: lol

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Nick0930

5 goals since this thread was made.

Yeah...

Nick0930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Bleedred
LATEST VICTIM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Still No, a thousand times no.
Agreed, and I'm quite embarrassed over the stuff I said in this thread when it was first made. Also my constant defending of Clarkson as a top 6 player to all the people who said he should be on the 3rd line. I'm pretty sure he's been outscored by every member of CBGB in the last 22 games.

The only thing I will say that I do not take back is he probably will be getting paid like a top 6 player on his next contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick0930 View Post
5 goals since this thread was made.

Yeah...
Well since it was last posted in back on February 7th. The sad part is the first 3 came in the same week and 2 were in the same game against the Penguins. He's scored 2 goals in his last 22 games and 4 points. The last goal was against a beer league goaltender that should have never happened.

Old
04-02-2013, 11:39 PM
NjDevsRR

Terrible hockey player when not scoring. At least others contribute when not scoring, Elias playmaker, Zajac two way play, Kovy playing all situations, Zubrus does everything, etc. Clarkson gives us heart but that only goes so far, he is useless when he doesnt put the puck in the net.

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

I had a feeling this was getting a bump, almost bumped it myself last night.

Answer to the title question is and always was no.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:09 AM
Scottyk9
Connor McDevil

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Well that was short lived

Scottyk9 is online now   Reply With Quote