HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J. Schultz is awesome!

Old
02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
J. Schultz is awesome!

Nuff said, we all know it, but this was his best NHL game yet which is saying something.

Time and time again just incredible poise with the puck. Lets look at the 3rd period alone.

Early in period he iso's on a Stars rush, he's only one back, its a potential Stars 2 on 1. But Schultz reads play, attacks puck carrier along the boards AGGRESSIVELY and with all his might ensures that he closes the guy off thus no pass to be made to the streaking stars player. No other Oiler D would have the foresight and balls to make this play not even close.

On the PP later in period he hangs on puck under pressure at the line and his usual adept play results in us retaining puck in opposition zone and a goal scoring chance. No other D can make that play, not even close.

On the goal Schultz incredibly has the foresight to slightly change his position in anticipation of the pass for the shot, thus changing the angle and creating an opening from the block. He does this so naturally and wires the puck (hard) off the post and in. Incredible seeing eye goal. Can you say "got all of it". What an incredible onetimer shot. no mas.

These are just a few, and they happen every night, and like most Oiler fans my jaw continuously drops watching this guy. Even better in hdtv because you can see the finer points of what this poised magician does. This is my favorite D in the league now. What a ringer. Right now the best player on this club.

What an incredible 10 games, what an incredible year for Schultz.

I barely ever start a thread anymore but this player deserves it in spades. Something to hold onto during this dry spell.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
oilerfan17

No kidding. What I like about Schultz is that he always makes the right play. Seldom the flashy play, and seldom the risky one, but always the one that gets the puck moving in the right direction. The calm he showed keeping the puck in late was incredible, almost as incredible as his knack for breaking up plays with his stick.

He could be one half of a great first pairing down the line. The trick is to find that LD.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

He has more points than the rest of the D combined and about the same amount of shots as them.

I don't want to overwhelm him, but I think it is time to push him up to 25 minutes a night. He is so much better than any other dman we have and we need to get him out there as much as we can.

World-class talent

Hemskyfanboy83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Giggli G

People might freak out when I say this, but he is Scott Neidermayer lite.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
No kidding. What I like about Schultz is that he always makes the right play. Seldom the flashy play, and seldom the risky one, but always the one that gets the puck moving in the right direction. The calm he showed keeping the puck in late was incredible, almost as incredible as his knack for breaking up plays with his stick.

He could be one half of a great first pairing down the line. The trick is to find that LD.
Could've mentioned that one which was in 3rd period as well. He's not ready, has one hand on stick after adjusting to play, and in one motion, with one hand, makes a clearing pass as he's again last man back.

How many superlative plays does this guy make in one period of play. Incredible player.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 AM
senorchang

The change he underwent in 10 games is just astounding. The nhl is a weird place.

senorchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 AM
topchowda

Points wise hes been great for a rookie. Defensively wise and advanced stats wise, hes been great, not just for a rookie but for a defenseman. He is playing against the teams best and excelling. He has been a rock solid two way play. Not many rookie defenseman have had the impact he has made

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
calvinguy

Now just think how bad our team would be if he didn't decide to come here.

calvinguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Points wise hes been great for a rookie. Defensively wise and advanced stats wise, hes been great, not just for a rookie but for a defenseman. He is playing against the teams best and excelling. He has been a rock solid two way play. Not many rookie defenseman have had the impact he has made
I've been amazed at how good his defensive game and poise has been. By anticipating the play he's doing the Chris Pronger "9 good plays out of 10" which is just amazing to see. His reads are impeccable. In the fastest game in the world he knows whats happening with the puck virtually all the time.

Man does this kid think, and understand the game well. A clinician.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:43 AM
enthropi

Yes. Yes he is.
And he has a damn good one-timer that I hadn't even seen in OKC.

Too bad Whitney is overcompensating for Schultz's awsomeness.

enthropi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
By far our best defenseman. So underrated defensively. I'm excited to see what he'll do in 5 years. Is a Norris trophy out of the question for this guy? Honest question. The potential is sky high.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:50 AM
CantHaveTkachev
CraigsOnIt

so incredibly good

I shutter to think where we'd be without him in the line-up

the scary part is how he looks better than anyone on our backend...and it's his first 10 games of his career

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:08 AM
nexttothemoon
10 again

vCash: 733
I don't want to be the first to say it but Petry has looked like somewhat of a dud so far as well. Many were thinking he was going to take a step up and that he'd be a solid top 4 guy with his shot and physicality his biggest assets... I'm not so sure watching him so far (early of course).

Without J Schultz I'd hate to even think what the Oilers D would look like this season. Sad would be an understatement.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
so incredibly good

I shutter to think where we'd be without him in the line-up

the scary part is how he looks better than anyone on our backend...and it's his first 10 games of his career
I don't know whether I'm more giddy that Schultz is our best defenseman after ten games, or astounded that the rest of our defensemen have looked mediocre to downright awful. I mean, they've all taken at least one or two steps back. Ugh.

Good on the kid, though. He's the real deal.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Schultz has calmness and vision like Pronger out there. If only he had the size and strength of Pronger.

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:13 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Schultz has calmness and vision like Pronger out there. If only he had the size and strength of Pronger.
Well, he has a lot more creativity than Pronger ever had.

I see Schultz a lot like Kris Letang.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM
I see only darkness

vCash: 761
He is incredible. Always poised and attacks with such passion. You could see when he scored how happy he was. This group should be fun to watch for the next 5-7 years

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:50 AM
puckfan13

He really is amazing, a rare case of living up to the hype and more.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Brokenhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I don't want to be the first to say it but Petry has looked like somewhat of a dud so far as well. Many were thinking he was going to take a step up and that he'd be a solid top 4 guy with his shot and physicality his biggest assets... I'm not so sure watching him so far (early of course).

Without J Schultz I'd hate to even think what the Oilers D would look like this season. Sad would be an understatement.
Ya Petry has really struggled so far this year. In the 1st period against Vancouver he looked like Petry of the 2nd half of last year, but has otherwise been mediocre or bad. I like him though, and I think he will get it together. Whitney is done though.
If we didn't have Schultz our D would be the worst in the league, the kid has been amazing.

Brokenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:57 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

"Cool." - Tambo

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Chooch

Yes. He's awesome.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
By far our best defenseman. So underrated defensively. I'm excited to see what he'll do in 5 years. Is a Norris trophy out of the question for this guy? Honest question. The potential is sky high.
Looks great from what I've seen of him. So far. As for the Norris, well, as long as Karlsson is around and healthy, no one even gets a sniff.

Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:59 AM
RisingSun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Looks great from what I've seen of him. So far. As for the Norris, well, as long as Karlsson is around and healthy, no one even gets a sniff.
lol wut, karlssons offensive production hardly solidifies him as a perennial Norris shoe in.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

His all around game is so much better then I expected. He's hardly bruising body, but he's so good positionally and with his awareness his defensive game is very solid. I feel like we're barely scratching the surface of how good this player will be.

An amazing "get" by the Oilers, thank you Management and especially Ralph Kruger.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
His all around game is so much better then I expected. He's hardly bruising body, but he's so good positionally and with his awareness his defensive game is very solid. I feel like we're barely scratching the surface of how good this player will be.

An amazing "get" by the Oilers, thank you Management and especially Ralph Kruger.
Thank You J Schultz for specifically wanting to be here. What a blessing that we get a plum like this falling our way. Heres to J Schultz being here an awfully long time and one of the keys to possible future glory.

In terms of poise, understanding of game, and making adept plays its been since Pronger that I've seen anybody this good. But Pronger was physically gifted and correct mistakes though his physical brawn and just remove people from the puck even if he did turn it over. Justin just seemingly avoids obvious mistakes alltogether. I'm amazed how few he makes. Its uncanny for somebody to be this good at decisions in a sport this fast.