HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 08:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Michigan needed a big weekend. They need to have home ice for the CCHA tournament. 11 teams. The top 5 seeds get a first round bye. Seeds 6-8 get home ice in the first round. Michigan will need to win the CCHA to make the NCAA tournament. 16 teams make it.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:04 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

If Michigan wins the CCHA I'll road march to Joe Louis from Afghanistan.

Its not their year.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:31 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
A player’s struggles can sometimes mirror the struggles of their team. Such was the case for Notre Dame freshman Steven Fogarty (NYR). After going undefeated in December, the Fighting Irish managed just two wins in January, with Fogarty being held pointless. The Edina, MN native’s last point (a goal) came back on Dec. 8th versus Michigan State. Overall, Fogarty has five points (four goals, one assist) playing in all 26 games this season.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...r-january-2013

Old
02-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm not all that worried about Fogarty. Though he might ultimately end up as a wing in the pros, he's made enormous strides in his two-way game which was one of the things that made him a likely candidate to do so. Unfortunately, as a viable centermen, that pushes him down the depth chart with some very good upperclassmen at Notre Dame playing the same position. Makes two consecutive years he was put into a defensive role because there were simply better options ahead of him.

Hopefully next season he can take the reins and take a leap in his development offensively. There's a real chance that the Irish lose both of their top centers this spring in Lee and Tynan. Lee is certainly going to turn pro. I think he'll be at least a 3 year guy at ND, if not a full 4 year player.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm not all that worried about Fogarty. Though he might ultimately end up as a wing in the pros, he's made enormous strides in his two-way game which was one of the things that made him a likely candidate to do so. Unfortunately, as a viable centermen, that pushes him down the depth chart with some very good upperclassmen at Notre Dame playing the same position. Makes two consecutive years he was put into a defensive role because there were simply better options ahead of him.

Hopefully next season he can take the reins and take a leap in his development offensively. There's a real chance that the Irish lose both of their top centers this spring in Lee and Tynan. Lee is certainly going to turn pro. I think he'll be at least a 3 year guy at ND, if not a full 4 year player.
I agree, I think his upside is that of a 3rd line defensive center. Hope to see him pick it up though.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The Fogarty pick was one of my faves the last few years, he was the one guy I wanted in the later rounds in 2011. Hope the pick works out, some really good players picked after SF.

Another 'down the road' College player, need to be patient, see Stepan, McDonagh, Hagelin, Kreider.

Old
02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

I hope its 3 or we lose his rights.

Old
02-05-2013, 06:17 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The MOU discusses college player negotiating rights.

Quote:
Current rules regarding exclusive negotiating rights for College Players will remain status quo. Parties to incorporate NHL/NHLPA Agreement on College Players leaving college prior to graduation (but following the fourth June 1 after date of Draft) (i.e., Goepfert Letter Agreement).
http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/P...ms-1-10-13.pdf

The Goepfert Letter Agreement. The PA mentioned it in their proposals. No word on what the NHL and PA agreed to and how it changes the Justin Schultz rule. Player can drop out of school 4 years after he was drafted with college eligibility remaining. Spends 1 year in the BCHL or USHL and 3 years in college hockey. Anders Lee of Notre Dame did the 1 year in the USHL and is a junior at Notre Dame. He could potentially drop out of school in May to become an unrestricted free agent in July if the rule remains the same.

August 15 was the signing date for 4 year college players. As of August 15 when their class graduates. That remains the same. Brady Skjei. Rangers have until August 15,2016 to sign Skjei.

Steve Fogarty could drop out of school in May 2015 to become a free agent if the Schultz rule is status quo. It looks the NHL and PA agreed to a change.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sorry I've been slow on the stats, guys. Busy at work. They're updated though.

It's just pain.
Old
02-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sorry I've been slow on the stats, guys. Busy at work. They're updated though.
Thanks man! Keep it up!

Old
02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

I am trying to see where the 2 swedes would fit next season.
Let's assume Miller makes the squad next season.
Lindberg is a C, Fast is a RW.

Where would they play?
I would think Lindberg belongs on the third line, but then what do you do with Miller? Org seems to want him develop as a C.
If you move Miller to Wing, where do you put Fast?
I think one of them will eventually be traded.
Or do you trade Boyle next season and have Lindberg center the 4th line? That seems like a waste.
Next Season's line up
Nash, Richards, Gabby
Kreider, Stepan, Cally
Hags, Miller, X
Asham, Boyle, Powe/Pyatt

Old
02-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I see no problem with Lindberg starting on the fourth line. He will be a bottom-6 guy anyway. I would like it if Miller became a LW, but I assume they will run him as a center.

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby
Hrivik- Lindberg/Miller - Cally
Powe - Boyle - Fasth/Asham

Next year's depth will be stronger than this year's. However, introducing 3 rookies in the course of a few months will be a big task.

Notice that everyone except maybe Pyatt is capable of being a long-term Ranger. Even Pyatt is only 31, and playing well enough that I would want to keep him for a few years.

Last edited by Beacon: 02-07-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old
02-06-2013, 09:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Nieves is third among all Freshman skaters in the nation in assists. Outside of Riley Barber, the other guys ahead of him are either not heralded, smurfs or both.

Nieves is kind of a freak of nature because guys his size and as fast as he, especially in college or the CHL normally dont have great vision and playmaking ability.

You can count on one hand how many guys 6'2 or bigger players are pass-first guys and do it well. Rackin up assists from playing on a stacked team and racking up assists because you're just a great passer are two differerent things.

Nieves has a really high ceiling.
I just realized that not only is Nieves 3rd in the nation in assists among freshman, but he is ALSO currently the leading overall scorer on his Michigan team as a freshman. That's pretty freakin' impressive, even on a mediocre team. I wonder where he ranks in the nation's overall scoring race if you subtract his first ten games...

Loved the pick at the time and love it now - players like Boo are exactly the types of picks I like to see the team make in the 2nd and 3rd round and even when drafting late in the 1st. (This is also why I really wanted them to trade up into the early 3rd to get Mac Squared.) I know that Beacon has been pushing the smaller skilled guys or injured guys when you're drafting late and I agree with the basic idea of going for guys with red flags over the guys who look the part, but haven't put up big numbers - but I prefer the kids with skills AND size who get the "level of competition" rap. Nieves (and Kreider) is (are) exactly why.

When it comes to drafting late, I prefer:
- Level of competition rap
- KHL risk
- Coming off an injury
- Undersized
- Holes in his game
- Looks the part, but hasn't blossomed for some reason

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 02-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old
02-06-2013, 09:46 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I see no problem with Lindberg starting on the fourth line. He will be a bottom-6 guy anyway. I would live it if Miller became a LW.

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby
Miller - Boyle - Fasth
Pyatt - Lindberg - Powe

This would be an awfully young lineup, but talented if Miller, Kreider, Fasth and Lindberg can all hold their own. Introducing 4 rookies in the course of a few months is a huge task.
Hate Boyle on the 3rd and Pyatt on the 4th.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
I see no problem with Lindberg starting on the fourth line. He will be a bottom-6 guy anyway. I would live it if Miller became a LW.

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby
Miller - Boyle - Fasth
Pyatt - Lindberg - Powe

This would be an awfully young lineup, but talented if Miller, Kreider, Fasth and Lindberg can all hold their own. Introducing 4 rookies in the course of a few months is a huge task.
You forgot the Captain.
And I would rather have Lindberg as 3C and Boyle on the 4th line.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Joey Bones

Quote:

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby
Miller - Boyle - Fasth
Pyatt - Lindberg - Powe

I hate to be this guy, but where does Hrivik go?

Old
02-06-2013, 11:32 PM
3rdlineglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
I hate to be this guy, but where does Hrivik go?
I think he could be up there too. I can see one or more of Miller, Lindberg, and Fast struggling. It's really good to have that kind of depth.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Yup, forgot Cally and Hrivik. Edited my thread. With the addition of Powe and a couple of rookies, the team will have good depth next year.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

RANGERS LINE UP

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby

WHALE LINE-UP

Jean - Miller/Lindberg - Ferriero
Mash - Newbury - Palmieri
Yogan - Wiebe - Thomas
Bourque - St. Croix - Haley/Wilson

Both line-ups look really talented, but very young. Fasth might also be at least starting the season in Hartford, making the team that much stronger. Defense will continue to be weak. Vernace and Collins are UFAs, and Noreau will take time to adjust. McIlrath is easily more talented and he's taking his time adjusting to the pro game. But if the management brings in a high quality AHL defenseman, this team could contend for the Calder Cup.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

My comment above brings up another thought: there's no space for McColgan in Hartford. I don't see who he beats out on the RW. He'll start in the ECHL, assuming the Rangers sign him.

I hope we sign him, but to an AHL contract. I don't think he should get an NHL contract, at least not yet.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Is the ECHL preferable to develop prospects to college or juniors?

That's the question: is the ECHL preferable to develop prospects to college or juniors?

Obviously it depends on a player. Someone small should stay with kids so that he could develop physically. But what about a kid like Boo Nieves? He's 6-3 and over 200 pounds, so his physical development won't be a problem.

Nieves is not yet polished enough for the AHL. If he were put into the Hartford lineup, he wouldn't look good. But in terms of both skill and physical development, he will definitely be able hold his own in the ECHL in 2013-14.

The advantage of playing in the ECHL as opposed to college is that he'd be playing almost twice as many games and he'd get used to playing against adults. The disadvantage is that the coaches aren't used to dealing with child psychology and he might view getting sent down all the way to the ECHL as a demotion as opposed to a promotion. Most people don't realize that ECHL plays higher caliber hockey than WCHA.

I realize that at first thought it seems like college is the obvious option, but give it a couple of seconds. I'm not saying the ECHL is necessarily better, but it's not necessarily a worse option.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
RANGERS LINE UP

Kreider - Brad - Nash
Hagelin - Step - Gabby

WHALE LINE-UP

Jean - Miller/Lindberg - Ferriero
Mash - Newbury - Palmieri
Yogan - Wiebe - Thomas
Bourque - St. Croix - Haley/Wilson

Both line-ups look really talented, but very young. Fasth might also be at least starting the season in Hartford, making the team that much stronger. Defense will continue to be weak. Vernace and Collins are UFAs, and Noreau will take time to adjust. McIlrath is easily more talented and he's taking his time adjusting to the pro game. But if the management brings in a high quality AHL defenseman, this team could contend for the Calder Cup.
You mean Stu Bickel?
I kid, I kid.
Seriously though, Hrivik has not proven anything yet. I don't see him as a top 9. How does he play away from the puck?
And I would rather Fast start in Hartford than play on the 4th line.

I am not sure about MSC starting on the 4th line in Hartford either. Him centering Palmieri and Yogan would be a good combination, I would think.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
My comment above brings up another thought: there's no space for McColgan in Hartford. I don't see who he beats out on the RW. He'll start in the ECHL, assuming the Rangers sign him.

I hope we sign him, but to an AHL contract. I don't think he should get an NHL contract, at least not yet.
Do you think Wiebe is more deserving of the roster spot?

Old
02-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Zil

Why mess with a good thing? Leaving Nieves in the WCHA certainly isn't going to hurt his development. Let him be and hope he continues to improve and dominates the division next year. Plus, what happens if you send him to the ECHL and he struggles? We'd have nowhere to send him but major junior at that point. I don't see the upside. If Nieves is as good as we all hope he is, then he's fine staying on his current track.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Why mess with a good thing? Leaving Nieves in the WCHA certainly isn't going to hurt his development. Let him be and hope he continues to improve and dominates the division next year. Plus, what happens if you send him to the ECHL and he struggles? We'd have nowhere to send him but major junior at that point. I don't see the upside. If Nieves is as good as we all hope he is, then he's fine staying on his current track.
/thread

I don't see any reason as to why the ECHL could be better. And isn't Nieves in the CCHA? Next year he should be in the Big Ten. Also, I'm not so sure if I agree with the OP that the ECHL is higher caliber hockey.