HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Hawks - Sharks = Hawks Win 5-3

Old
02-06-2013, 02:53 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
To me, possession means having the puck on your stick, or moving it with your feet. Mayers had it deflect off his foot, and at no time was in actual possession of the puck.
Agreed. What's to stop a guy from chucking a puck at an opponent's skates while his teammate bull rushes him.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
I posted the rule from the rule book in this thread. Mayers has possession from my view.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:59 PM
GGGHawks18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
You can't just see what makes Toews so special either by just watching their games. It's things beyond that. It's the fact that he runs the entire pre-game routine for the Hawks, something I have seen him do for a few years now. Doesn't seem like much but shows his leadership.

One of my favorite things about him and it's almost a secret but known to some. Every year Toews gathers all the new Hawks players, rookies, draft picks, FA and has a meeting with them, in that meeting he tells them what it means to play Blackhawks hockey, what it means to be a Chicago Blackhawk, what he expects from them and they can expect from him. He has done this since his 2nd year as captain. A 20 something kid telling 10+ year vets like, Turco, Brunette, Rosival, and others what it means to be a Hawk.

Add that to his complete game, of the most complete games in the NHL and you get to me one of the best players. He is the forward and current day Lidstrom, not flashy, not the most amazing player, but someone who will play well in every aspect of the game, someone who you can rely on night in and night out to play his heart out, who will work harder then anyone else, who will lead with words and by example, and who will be the guy your team can lean on when it matters most.
I never knew Toews really did this. This shows a lot of leadership, and it will want veterans and prized free agents want to come play for the Chicago Blackhawks because of the leadership and team chemistry this team has.

It's amazing that a 24 year old kid can handle this amount of pressure, in one of the biggest sports cities in the world, and be so calm and collected to lead this team to hopefully many more Stanley Cups.

GGGHawks18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed. What's to stop a guy from chucking a puck at an opponent's skates while his teammate bull rushes him.
Other than the fact that it would make absolutely zero sense within a hockey game to do that, nothing.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
To me, possession means having the puck on your stick, or moving it with your feet. Mayers had it deflect off his foot, and at no time was in actual possession of the puck.
Per the NHL Rule Book, Mayers had possession by virtue of him being the last player to touch the puck and hence was open to being hit. Respectfully, what possession means to you doesn't change that.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:28 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Other than the fact that it would make absolutely zero sense within a hockey game to do that, nothing.
Exactly.

Point is this if the puck is reasonable distance whether or not he has touched his stick or not --it is possession. The game is so fast players don't get a chance to think ok did he have possession. Mayers was going to have possession. He may not have had it exactly, but that hit wasn't early. It was timed perfectly. Glad Jammer is ok. That is just a hockey play. No rules need to be looked up to be interpreted. It was a legit play. It can't be called anything else or we start taking away from the game.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
Per the NHL Rule Book, Mayers had possession by virtue of him being the last player to touch the puck and hence was open to being hit. Respectfully, what possession means to you doesn't change that.
True, jsut stating what my view of possession is. The puck touched Mayers, not the other way around.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
The puck touched Mayers, not the other way around.

The puck is an object, it doesn't have the power to touch people. He touched the puck.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post

The puck is an object, it doesn't have the power to touch people. He touched the puck.
Lol, what I meant was he didn't even attempt to touch it, it was passed to his feet and deflected off of his skate without him knowing it was even coming.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

still like the whining about this hit. Sharks lost because of their D play and their stars not showing up when they needed to. Hawks got a total of 1 PP minute out of it. Best Sharks could get was a 2 min PP

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
still like the whining about this hit. Sharks lost because of their D play and their stars not showing up when they needed to. Hawks got a total of 1 PP minute out of it. Best Sharks could get was a 2 min PP
It would of been a 4min PP, not that it matters because they didn't do crap on their PP anyway.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:36 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Actually, they would've had 4 minutes from it.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
If you are going to be running guys all night you should expect that there could be a call or two going against you just because of it. Not saying it was a bad hit (it was a good hit).

Tone King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I still think they would have called a minor on Deshardains (spell?) giving them 2 min PP

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Lol, what I meant was he didn't even attempt to touch it, it was passed to his feet and deflected off of his skate without him knowing it was even coming.
He did know it was coming, though. He was looking behind him and then at his feet to retrieve it and that's why he got railed. No point in dissecting it anymore but take another good look at it. Regardless, it's not his fault. That's a natural reaction and it was more him getting set up by his own d-man but that's just hockey. It happens.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
This is getting silly. Mayers clearly saw the pass and had started to move his stick to play the puck when he was hit - he was looking backwards and skating forwards after all. Go to the thread on the subject in the general hockey discussion and watch the video in the OP.

Regardless, none of that matters as it was still a legal hit.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
This is getting silly. Mayers clearly saw the pass and had started to move his stick to play the puck when he was hit - he was looking backwards and skating forwards after all. Go to the thread on the subject in the general hockey discussion and watch the video in the OP.

Regardless, none of that matters as it was still a legal hit.
That's what it all comes down to. No sense further dissecting it like we're all doing. Luckily Mayers is alright, they won the game...on to the next game.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I hate to go all Don Cherry, but anyone who doesn't like hits like that might want to find a different sport.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I hate to go all Don Cherry, but anyone who doesn't like hits like that might want to find a different sport.
You'll probably be looking for a new tailor pretty soon.

But I agree with you. Maybe I'll have to look for a new tailor too.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:55 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Quote:
No, Kesler is used far more in the defensive end, because they have a better offensive C in their line-up (Sedin). Toews is the only offensive threat that we have at C, so he is used offensively more than defensively, probably the ONLY reason he hasn't won a Selke yet. That and we have Bolland to do all the defensive dirty work.

No, he isn't. Toews is by far a #1 clutch option. Kane is there with him, but is not any better, or worse than Toews as far as 'clutchness' goes.
lol, no he simply is not.

It was Kane who lead the charge against the Canucks to win the series in 2009.. not just in game 6 with the hat trick but also in game 5 with his great play to keep the puck in the zone and then make a perfect pass to Bolland for the winning goal.

It was Kane who scored the tying goal in game 5 against the Predators in 2010 to avoid the Hawks going down 3 games to 2.

It was Kane who scored 3 points including the game winner in OT in game 6 that won the Hawks their first Stanley Cup in 49 years...

Toews is great and all but there is simply no argument at all to suggest he is anywhere close to Kane in terms of clutch play for the Hawks.

None at all.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

Are we really arguing the myth of "clutchness"? My god...

Old
02-07-2013, 01:12 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Are we really arguing the myth of "clutchness"? My god...
The most clutch was "Cargo" - as in Clutch Cargo and his pals Spinner and Paddlefoot.

< a cartoon from back in the olden days of my yute >

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:17 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
lol, no he simply is not.

It was Kane who lead the charge against the Canucks to win the series in 2009.. not just in game 6 with the hat trick but also in game 5 with his great play to keep the puck in the zone and then make a perfect pass to Bolland for the winning goal.

It was Kane who scored the tying goal in game 5 against the Predators in 2010 to avoid the Hawks going down 3 games to 2.

It was Kane who scored 3 points including the game winner in OT in game 6 that won the Hawks their first Stanley Cup in 49 years...

Toews is great and all but there is simply no argument at all to suggest he is anywhere close to Kane in terms of clutch play for the Hawks.

None at all.
Totally, It's why Kane has a Conne Smythe.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

"Clutch" is a myth. Proven time and time again.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Totally, It's why Kane has a Conne Smythe.
OOPS!

This is so unclutch too.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote