HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Excess of players...IF you were in charge

Old
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Beemer335

vCash: 500
Excess of players...IF you were in charge

I think we can all agree that the Hawks have had a pretty good start to this season and look pretty strong going forward. But our lineup is pretty crowded already minus Carcillo and Montador (yeah I know he might not play again). With guys like teravainen, danault, mcneill, smith, hayes, clendening, olsen, stanton, johns, etc in the system and not a lot of room for them to grab a spot with the big club, what would you like to see?

If you were GM, would you just sit on all these prospects? Do you trade some of them? Do you trade current roster players to make room? If so, what roster players and what are you looking for in return?

I honestly have no clue what I would do

Beemer335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:47 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Tough decision on whether to keep some current guys around or keep the kids. I'd like to see Pirri, McNeil, Danault, TT, Clendening all get shots for sure... But I think I only see Mayers and Stalberg leaving for sure in the near future. I can see Carcillo sticking around for awhile, not sure about Bickell. Really not sure about Frolik... I like what he's doing for the PK but if he wants a raise... it would be hard for me to justify that.

I think for the next few years there will be very limited spots in the bottom six for new guys.

I think I def. try to move some of our fringe guys... and also see what kind of returns are availae for roster players if a prospect is ready for the big show

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Penosity

I think you gotta move Stalberg by the trade deadline.

Maybe package him with a prospect and/or a draft pick for a decent 2nd/3rd line center.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
I think you gotta move Stalberg by the trade deadline.

Maybe package him with a prospect and/or a draft pick for a decent 2nd/3rd line center.
This is what I've been saying. I like Stalberg, but he's a perfect piece to move now

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:05 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
What selling/rebuilding team will want a pending UFA?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:59 AM
Penosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Give his agent permission to deal, then sign+trade.

Penosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penosity View Post
Give his agent permission to deal, then sign+trade.
This is Viktor Stalberg, not Sidney Crosby. Most teams aren't going to want to go through a sign and trade process for a boaderline top 6 forward.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

I have said all along the Hawks need to move some of these guys now to get some pieces because this team is in a win now situation. You can easily move some of those pieces, get the players we need and keep the ones you think will be the better players.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

They need to move some of them soon enough. The problem is, that we still don't know what we have in all of them and that you don't won't to sell low or get less than they are worth.
Moving them for picks wouldn't help, for rentals? not sure. Need to look at depth players with nice contracts. Will a team like the Panthers give you Goc for a better/good NHL ready prospect? Or TOR Bozak?

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Sarava

I'm not a huge fan of Stalberg. But it's absurd to suggest the Hawks trade him at the deadline...if they planned on making a run at the cup this year.

That creates a hole that makes this team worse for the playoff run. Why would they do that?

Remember this is about winning Stanley cups... not accumulating draft picks and being in good cap shape.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Cullksinikers

They are keeping Stalberg through the deadline. He is finishing the year with the Hawks. No way in hell he is traded. Keeping him long-term is another discussion, but 25 is not going anywhere until maybe after this season ends.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
puterwiz53

Bowman probably won't be doing much at the trade deadline except for a little bit of tweaking like acquiring a bit more sand paper type players for the 3rd or 4th lines or defense. I guess it all depends on what players become available by then and how the Hawks have weathered the storm - where they are in the standings by then, injuries, etc.

puterwiz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
No doubt, this is the time. It's up to our own GM and scouts who have had a front row seat to the development of these to guys to determine who is expendable. Obviously we'll have to trade someone we would rather not to get someone we want but they have to figure out which guys we absolutely need to keep.

I would say Saad, Danault and TT are the untouchables. I'd definitely try to push the 1st round pick though. I feel that is our best ammo. If a team insisted on one of the untouchables instead, I would consider TT but not for a rental coming back. I could do the 1st for a rental, not TT though.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:31 AM
GGGHawks18

Quote:
Originally Posted by puterwiz53 View Post
Bowman probably won't be doing much at the trade deadline except for a little bit of tweaking like acquiring a bit more sand paper type players for the 3rd or 4th lines or defense. I guess it all depends on what players become available by then and how the Hawks have weathered the storm - where they are in the standings by then, injuries, etc.
I agree with Wiz, if there are any trades it will be for depth, unless we can pull off something for a 2C. Like Weiss, but I still think no one off the current roster would be gone.

GGGHawks18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Stalberg. But it's absurd to suggest the Hawks trade him at the deadline...if they planned on making a run at the cup this year.

That creates a hole that makes this team worse for the playoff run. Why would they do that?

Remember this is about winning Stanley cups... not accumulating draft picks and being in good cap shape.
No one has suggested trading him for draft picks. Stalberg has a top 6 skillset and is playing on the 3rd line. Trading him for a hitting/defensive 3rd liner or a 2nd line center doesn't make any hole in the roster.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:39 AM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
I agree. The only way I see Stalberg being moved at the deadline is if there is a playoff team that needs help on the wings and the Hawks can make a hockey deal. I highly doubt Stalberg gets moved for futures.

Also some people around here need to seriously temper their expectations about which moves will be made before the deadline. The Hawks don't have a lot of redundant value at the NHL level and the prospect pool (while deep) is unspectacular.

Loki just got traded for a 5th. With that in mind what do you honestly think Pirri, Olsen, McNeil, or anyone in the Hawks prospect pool (except for maybe TT and Danault) are worth? The Hawks don't have blue chip prospects. The Hawks don't have the type of can't miss talent that other teams covet. What the Hawks do have is a ton of players who are projected to be NHL regulars, but prospects who look like future 2nd-3rd liners are not going to generate much interest (read as value) around the league.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:17 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Yeah.. no one's saying to move Stalberg for a pick or a prospect. Rather moving him for a more useful player in Chicago's bottom-6; like a centre.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Spectra
Registered boozer

It would be perfect to sign and then trade Stalberg in a package for a true #2 C. Problem is, that's a ****** move and might hurt Bowman in the future when it comes to signing FA's.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:19 PM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectra View Post
It would be perfect to sign and then trade Stalberg in a package for a true #2 C. Problem is, that's a ****** move and might hurt Bowman in the future when it comes to signing FA's.
I don't think his UFA status hurts his value that much. Any team with a decent amount of cap space shouldn't have an issue resigning him. If they did, they wouldn't have lost much.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
LandofLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Edmonton or Washington teams like them that think they are still playoff teams. Also a large market team would be interested in Stalberg. Minnesota will trade Setoguchi and Stalberg could fit in there probably opposite side Heatley. There are 5-6 teams that would be interested in Stalberg.

Here's the scenarios on Stalberg. A playoff team with cap issues would want him as a rental (low cap hit) and a rebuild who thinks he is worth 2.5 - 3m and willing to pay that next season also would be interested. Trust me there is a market for Stally.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Yeah.. no one's saying to move Stalberg for a pick or a prospect. Rather moving him for a more useful player in Chicago's bottom-6; like a centre.
Don't know if I would replace Stalberg (3rd line winger, one of the fastest in the game, that can play top-6) with a bottom-6 center just because the guy is better at faceoffs than our current group.

Hawks are really built for right now. No reason to trade Stalberg. It doesn't make sense.

And they certainly aren't in position cap-wise to be moving some of their crop of prospects for a big name making multiple millions.

Every year people spend so much time thinking and hoping a big deal is coming at the deadline but it just isn't realistic. Unless the Hawks go into a big slide again, or lose key players to injury....not much will happen.

Hawks are better off holding onto as many prospects/picks, because they aren't all going to succeed (most of them will never be anything), and most of our prospects are a ways off. We are going to need a guy like Pirri/Danault/McNeil to step up and fill a hole because we can't keep everybody.

If Hawks are to trade anyone, it should be a guy like Sharp. Unfortunately he has a NMC so that's unlikely.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

If it's up to me I'm attempting to get a 2C and possibly a gritty 3rd/4th line player by trading prospects (not TT or Danault).

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:27 PM
LandofLincoln

If I only had 13 forwards

1. Toews
2. Hossa
3. Kane
4. Sharp
5. Bolland
6. Saad
7. Stalberg
8. Carcillo
9. Kruger (PK value also being 3rd line or 4th line center)
10. Frolik PK value
11. Bickell size & makes hits even though I would never describe him as physical
12. Shaw energy guy good hands
13. Bollig

If I had to add a Rockford prospect most likely Smith. However, if we do not trade for a center Pirri would be on the roster over Smith.

Mayers would not be on my playoff squad once everyone is healthy especially after making a trade (which the Hawks will do). I think once Carcillo is back Mayers might get released.

Defense:
1. Keith
2. Seabrook
3. Hjalmarsson (earning his money this year) very nice comeback year!
4. Oduya
5. Leddy
6. Rozsival
7. Brookbank

If I had to add a Rockford defensive prospect right now I would not add a defensive prospect to the roster. If there was an injury to a defenseman I would add Clendening and not make a trade to fill a defensive hole should there be an injury.

Goaltending:
1. Crawford
2. Emery

Other Notes not really in favor of getting rid of Bickell, Kruger or Frolik. I think they fit into their roles. It wouldn't kill me if we moved Bickell, but this is not last year and Bickell is a different player this year. I like Stalberg, but I see him having the most value in a a trade to make this team better.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
If it's up to me I'm attempting to get a 2C and possibly a gritty 3rd/4th line player by trading prospects (not TT or Danault).
You're going to have to move guys off of the roster. We already are pretty full and thats with Rosi, Carcillo, and Montador out of action.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
No one has suggested trading him for draft picks. Stalberg has a top 6 skillset and is playing on the 3rd line. Trading him for a hitting/defensive 3rd liner or a 2nd line center doesn't make any hole in the roster.
And that scenerio is nearly impossible. The only teams that would trade for a soon to be UFA Stalberg are contenders hoping to go on a cup run - so they'll only be offering picks or prospects up.

Those same contenders that are about to go on a cup run sure as heck won't trade away a 'hitting/defensive 3rd liner or a 2nd line center'.

I think some of you have been playing the EA hockey game a bit too much

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote