HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where does MacArthur fit?

Old
02-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Ricky Bobby

vCash: 500
CMac was simply a good player on a bad team who really only fits in on a 2nd line scoring role but doesn't have a role on a good team (certainly not at his cap hit). He can put up decent offensive numbers when given the PP time but now that time needs to go to better offensive players like Lupul, JVR and Kadri.

CMac isn't nearly as valuable as a trade commodity as a lot of Leafs fans like to think and he'll probably only return a 2nd (just Kostitsyn did last year).

He should have been traded last deadline.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Larcos_Unal

Mac & Komi to DET for a 6th rounder, but only if their scouts make the selection for us.

Larcos_Unal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Anthrax442

vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post
Mac & Komi to DET for a 6th rounder, but only if their scouts make the selection for us.
When was the last time their scouts picked someone good deep in draft? They lucked out before, it will never happen again.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:18 PM
Vintage Leaf Memories

Every time MacArthur is written off, he scores a couple of goals and his virtues are described and many jump back on his bandwagon. In reality, he has been an uneven NHL'er, and an uneven Leaf. Value? One would think minimal, but in today's NHL, who knows?

Vintage Leaf Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Considering from the rumour we could've got a first round pick last year , and we didn't take it was a bad choice. I really don't like MacA he always looks like he doesn't what to do when he has the puck, plus his shot is pretty bad. Don't know how he get a letter on his jersey before Grabo.

Hopefully he's gone by the deadline.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

He doesn't. He should have been traded at the deadline for anything Leafs could get, which could have been a 1st round pick, making it laughable that Leafs kept this guy who was replaceable with Frattin or Kadri.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Stephen

He doesn't fit at all, he's basically a left hand shooting Kris Versteeg with no speed or hustle.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
hobarth

Mac has been a steady source of offense the last 2 years, 105 points, prior to this year his +/- is even and he's a ripe old age of 27. Obviously he is everything that is wrong with the Leafs and yes maybe with enough choices maybe TO could become the first team in NHL history to win the Cup with a roster of exclusively 20 year olds.

TO has a lot of players who are not/can not/will not ever be decent players yet people are all to eager to rid the team of players that are actually contributing and should continue to be useful in the future.

Is it any wonder other team's fans think that Leaf fans are whacko.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
Mac has been a steady source of offense the last 2 years, 105 points, prior to this year his +/- is even and he's a ripe old age of 27. Obviously he is everything that is wrong with the Leafs and yes maybe with enough choices maybe TO could become the first team in NHL history to win the Cup with a roster of exclusively 20 year olds.

TO has a lot of players who are not/can not/will not ever be decent players yet people are all to eager to rid the team of players that are actually contributing and should continue to be useful in the future.

Is it any wonder other team's fans think that Leaf fans are whacko.
MacArthur is small, he's not that fast, he's not that strong. He's not inclined to fight very hard for the puck, he doesn't really like the corners, so he's useless on the cycle. He's not defensively conscientious, he doesn't bring a lot of energy, he's a terrible playmaker, his production is not that impressive and usually comes when Grabovski is hot or when Kulemin is working hard.

He doesn't bring anything to the team that others around haven't already brought. The age issue has nothing to do with it. We just need a bigger body, a harder worker, more defense or more offense in that spot.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
MacArthur is small, he's not that fast, he's not that strong. He's not inclined to fight very hard for the puck, he doesn't really like the corners, so he's useless on the cycle. He's not defensively conscientious, he doesn't bring a lot of energy, he's a terrible playmaker, his production is not that impressive and usually comes when Grabovski is hot or when Kulemin is working hard.

He doesn't bring anything to the team that others around haven't already brought. The age issue has nothing to do with it. We just need a bigger body, a harder worker, more defense or more offense in that spot.
As I've stated his stats are far superior to Kule and in line with Grabbo so I would think that their superior talents, speed, physicality and whatever must be misdirected because they are not accomplishing more and I think that a player that can feed off of another should be considered an asset because we can never be sure if it's not a 2 way street.

I'm more of a fan of TO treating the rest of the NHL as it's farm team rather than sending players who are producing to other teams for unproven youth or draft choices. Mac is not without warts as is the case with most players but now is the time to exploit what he can give rather than give him away for someone who may never meet even his modest accomplishments.

So for me unless TO receives equal or greater payment moving Mac makes no sense.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:53 PM
darrylsittler27

That is funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcos_Unal View Post

If they make the pick we might win the trade.

darrylsittler27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Stephen

Quote:
As I've stated his stats are far superior to Kule and in line with Grabbo so I would think that their superior talents, speed, physicality and whatever must be misdirected because they are not accomplishing more and I think that a player that can feed off of another should be considered an asset because we can never be sure if it's not a 2 way street.

I'm more of a fan of TO treating the rest of the NHL as it's farm team rather than sending players who are producing to other teams for unproven youth or draft choices. Mac is not without warts as is the case with most players but now is the time to exploit what he can give rather than give him away for someone who may never meet even his modest accomplishments.

So for me unless TO receives equal or greater payment moving Mac makes no sense.
Stats don't tell the full picture, especially when you're cherrypicking an aggregate and ignore the fact that he's steeply declined in effectiveness since he re-signed.

MacArthur is a compiler on a junk team and useless on a contending team. If anyone wants to give us a first round pick for him, I'd gladly act like someone else's farm team. I mean, what are you expecting, someone give us Jamie Benn?

Old
02-06-2013, 10:55 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Trade him for some one like Joel Ward. We could use the size.

02-07-2013, 12:34 AM
hobarth

Quote:
Stats don't tell the full picture, especially when you're cherrypicking an aggregate and ignore the fact that he's steeply declined in effectiveness since he re-signed.

MacArthur is a compiler on a junk team and useless on a contending team. If anyone wants to give us a first round pick for him, I'd gladly act like someone else's farm team. I mean, what are you expecting, someone give us Jamie Benn?
We should hope but as Leaf fans we seem to think we live in a insular world where we are the only team that has players with warts but rarely does another team trade their players unless they think his warts are in excess of his contributions.

IMHO Mac is a useful player capable of assuming many roles and last year should show that, +/- stats on a team that is as bad as TO is defensively is very telling.

Generally I would say that a lot of people are turned off by Mac but embrace Kule with his 7 goals last year and what looks to be a similar year this year. There is a very definite bias towards physicality and potential which are good but I'm more of a results guy. I feel that a team can move forward with results better than with a career marginal player like Ward, who is physical, or draft choices that may or may not pan out. Since Mac is producing results now I think we should keep him.

Look around the NHL some teams only had 1 20 goal scorer others only 2 yet TO fans are again ready to remove their noses in spite of their faces.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Stephen

Quote:
We should hope but as Leaf fans we seem to think we live in a insular world where we are the only team that has players with warts but rarely does another team trade their players unless they think his warts are in excess of his contributions.

IMHO Mac is a useful player capable of assuming many roles and last year should show that, +/- stats on a team that is as bad as TO is defensively is very telling.

Generally I would say that a lot of people are turned off by Mac but embrace Kule with his 7 goals last year and what looks to be a similar year this year. There is a very definite bias towards physicality and potential which are good but I'm more of a results guy. I feel that a team can move forward with results better than with a career marginal player like Ward, who is physical, or draft choices that may or may not pan out. Since Mac is producing results now I think we should keep him.

Look around the NHL some teams only had 1 20 goal scorer others only 2 yet TO fans are again ready to remove their noses in spite of their faces.
The Leafs added three young forwards to the team this year in Kadri, JVR and Frattin who have already acounted for 14 goals, so if you're a results oriented person, you'd see that an injection of youth and different skillsets into the mix can have a lot bigger of an impact than sticking with a guy whose production is stalled, to say the least.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 AM
hobarth

Quote:
The Leafs added three young forwards to the team this year in Kadri, JVR and Frattin who have already acounted for 14 goals, so if you're a results oriented person, you'd see that an injection of youth and different skillsets into the mix can have a lot bigger of an impact than sticking with a guy whose production is stalled, to say the least.
Do you really think Frattin is going to continue to score on 45% of his shoots, his hot start is directly responsible for their stats being so high, we all know they're going to cool down like we all know Kessel is going to score.

Are you saying that a 10 game audition is enough for you to basically give away proven productive players.

I think we need Frattins and Macs to succeed not just one or the other.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:14 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

I wish Burke would have taken the 1st he was offered for him at the deadline. Imo, it's a trade that's easy to make as MacArthur is easy to replace. There's lots of MacArthurs out there.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:14 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

he's very good but so obviously trade bait. sorry to say, I don't see a real fit going forward. hope we get proper value though because he can really help a team's depth.

HellasLEAF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:24 AM
lampshade*

Mac fits in the shotgun seat on the loser cruiser straight to the Ricoh center.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:15 AM
DaveT83*

I doubt he gets much more than a late 2nd at this point. Who cares - give him away to anyone that inquires.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:51 AM
pucci2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
He's still a good playmaker.

I'd see him working perfectly alongside Neal-Malkin tbh
I'd work perfectly beside Neal and Malkin, lets be serious here.

pucci2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

on another team.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Do you really think Frattin is going to continue to score on 45% of his shoots, his hot start is directly responsible for their stats being so high, we all know they're going to cool down like we all know Kessel is going to score.

Are you saying that a 10 game audition is enough for you to basically give away proven productive players.

I think we need Frattins and Macs to succeed not just one or the other.
I think we need someone in Mac's role to succeed, not Mac.

In the 29 games Mac played for us last year starting with that 2-1 loss against Winnipeg February 7 that was the beginning of all of our troubles, combined with the 7 games Clarke MacArthur has played for us this season, Clarke MacArthur has scored in a whopping 12 of those games.

In 36 games, Mac has scored in only 12 of them, and has produced 4 goals and 11 assists.

That's not exactly what I'd call a productive player.

Matt Frattin in his brief hot streak alone has bettered Mac's goal scoring totals in 36 games in 7 contests this season.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:18 AM
NaiveLeafsFan

Please package him with Bozak and some picks for ROR. PLEASEEEEEE

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
VO5

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleafsfan View Post
We need something like the Phaneuf deal right now.

Trade Franson, Mac, Bozak and a prospect for Bouwmeester... Calgary keeps 2 mil on their cap.

Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Liles-Gunnar
Gardiner-Komi/Kostka/Holzer
never happen. Leafs do not need Bouwmeester.

VO5 is offline   Reply With Quote