HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Stars

Old
02-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Parity is running rampant in the league right now and it's an indictment on the job that Tambellini has done.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:19 AM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Is it just me guys but is Yakupov looking more comfortable each game? Seems like hes getting better, Loved the hit on Morrow tonight!, Would be nice if he would shoot a bit more instead of passing though, There is a few times tonight he could have shot but passed instead. I think hes looking good out there.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:19 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
meh

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:23 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Agreed, he was solid out there and even smoked Robidas.
Honestly MPS had me a little frustrated this game. But in a somewhat positive way.

I though he handle the puck fairly poorly, especially with how much he had it. But that last part is what has me somewhat happy, he was in and around the puck most of the game and carrying it, not avoiding or missing his spots to get it.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Is it just me guys but is Yakupov looking more comfortable each game? Seems like hes getting better, Loved the hit on Morrow tonight!, Would be nice if he would shoot a bit more instead of passing though, There is a few times tonight he could have shot but passed instead. I think hes looking good out there.
Yeah he's settling down a bit which is nice. Still a tad out of sync with his teammates sometimes, but he has a somewhat unorthodox style of play.

Still it's funny to see how excited he gets, he was hopping up and down like a little kid on Christmas when Hemsky scored

Love his enthusiasm.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Be nice if Kreuger realized it. Right now giving the Eberle line top PP minutes AND all of J Schultz is not making the most effective use of either.

Gagner line should be getting top toi, top PP rotation, and top offensive D complement. Be nice if they didn't have to lug the dud Whitney around all day which is just limiting the line. Amazing what they could be doing with proper support.
Yeah I'm sure that Gagner is game to go head to head with the leagues best centers. When the Gagner PP unit starts the PP more often than not it seems like they aren't doing so hot against the opposing teams top PK unit. They are getting the cushy match-ups and doing well with it offensively but their collective +/-'s are -6, -5, and -3 so let's throw them out there against the league's best!

02-07-2013, 02:38 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Yeah he's settling down a bit which is nice. Still a tad out of sync with his teammates sometimes, but he has a somewhat unorthodox style of play.

Still it's funny to see how excited he gets, he was hopping up and down like a little kid on Christmas when Hemsky scored

Love his enthusiasm.
I agree with the unorthodox play... he's an elite talent and he does some things "oddly", some strange moves and passes to odd places where teammates "aren't".

I think it's going to take time for him to get chemistry fully going with his linemates but one thing about elite players with unique moves is that it's very tough for opponents to predict and guess what they are going to do as well and with Yakupov's speed and shot AND passing abilities... he's going to be absolutely lethal in years to come.

That wrister that he clanged off the post was all-world. There are VERY few players that can move full speed and get a release off like that where the goalie basically is still watching the player and the puck is behind them before they can react to the shot. Yak is one of those players. We haven't even come close to seeing his full abilities yet (obviously) and I know he's going to be an absolute beast in this league very soon.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:39 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Sit Whitney, call up Fedun if need be.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:44 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Food for thought.........

Ladi Smid gp10 g0 a1 pts1 -6
Jeff Petry gp10 g0 a0 pts0 -4

Corey Potter gp6 g0 a0 pts0 -5
Ryan Whitney gp9 g0 a3 pts3 -6

Nick Schultz gp10 g0 a0 pts0 -1
Jeff Schultz gp10 g3 a3 pts6 +1

When one out of the six regular dmen has any appreciable points, and is the only + rated player on the back end, you arent going to win many hockey games.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I agree with the unorthodox play... he's an elite talent and he does some things "oddly", some strange moves and passes to odd places where teammates "aren't".

I think it's going to take time for him to get chemistry fully going with his linemates but one thing about elite players with unique moves is that it's very tough for opponents to predict and guess what they are going to do as well and with Yakupov's speed and shot AND passing abilities... he's going to be absolutely lethal in years to come.

That wrister that he clanged off the post was all-world. There are VERY few players that can move full speed and get a release off like that where the goalie basically is still watching the player and the puck is behind them before they can react to the shot. Yak is one of those players. We haven't even come close to seeing his full abilities yet (obviously) and I know he's going to be an absolute beast in this league very soon.
Yup they need to utilize his shot more, he needs to be on the right side full time as well.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:50 AM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

Quote:
Yup they need to utilize his shot more, he needs to be on the right side full time as well.
I agree , why doesn't Krueger play yak on the right side a couple times, to see how he performs, he could potentially be more comfortable and I think Hemsky would translate to the left side just fine.

A comfortable yak + semi comf. Hemsky > comf. Hemsky + semi-comf. Yak.

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:54 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Still down at Rexall, got some news to report. Ryan Whitney has just finished his pivot on Jagr's goal.
It's sad though, I know people are killing the guy, but his legs are just done from the looks of it.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:56 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Food for thought.........

Ladi Smid gp10 g0 a1 pts1 -6
Jeff Petry gp10 g0 a0 pts0 -4

Corey Potter gp6 g0 a0 pts0 -5
Ryan Whitney gp9 g0 a3 pts3 -6

Nick Schultz gp10 g0 a0 pts0 -1
Jeff Schultz gp10 g3 a3 pts6 +1

When one out of the six regular dmen has any appreciable points, and is the only + rated player on the back end, you arent going to win many hockey games.
Why blame just the defense though? The team in general has been horrible at ES.

Majority of the goof-headed plays from the D has been from that bottom pairing.

Petry/Smid have had a couple F-up moments in the past few games, but the majority of their minuses are coming from some HUGE mistakes from some of the forwards (Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle - poor backchecks, early zone-exits, etc), as well as facing top opposition forwards every game.

N.Schultz is to blame for his own minus - anytime he's not with J.Schultz he looks really vulnerable.

J.Schultz plays a very effective ES game to be honest, it's just that because our forwards aren't up to par yet that he's even sitting at a slight +1.

The majority of our minuses can be attributed to a 50/50 split:

1) Whitney-Potter
2) Gagner (giveaway), Yakupov (weird back-checks x2), Eberle (early zone exit), and Hall (leaving his point-man open)

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:01 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Why blame just the defense though? The team in general has been horrible at ES.

Majority of the goof-headed plays from the D has been from that bottom pairing.

Petry/Smid have had a couple F-up moments in the past few games, but the majority of their minuses are coming from some HUGE mistakes from some of the forwards (Yakupov, Gagner, Eberle - poor backchecks, early zone-exits, etc), as well as facing top opposition forwards every game.

N.Schultz is to blame for his own minus - anytime he's not with J.Schultz he looks really vulnerable.

J.Schultz plays a very effective ES game to be honest, it's just that because our forwards aren't up to par yet that he's even sitting at a slight +1.

The majority of our minuses can be attributed to a 50/50 split:

1) Whitney-Potter
2) Gagner (giveaway), Yakupov (weird back-checks x2), Eberle (early zone exit), and Hall (leaving his point-man open)
Petry/Smid are our shutdown pairing.

They are SUPPOSED to be facing the opposition's top lines every night.

Do you suggest Whitney/Potter would be a better alternative?

Perhaps the rookie Justin Schultz?

Im not blaming just the defense. Im looking at them as an entire unit, who only one of which is actually contributing offensively and defensively for that matter.

The other five, four especially have been a disaster. Whitney and Potter being the most obvious offenders, but Smid and Petry have been close behind, particularly Petry.

On a night where everyone is concerned about the center position, there may indeed be equally pressing concerns about the back end. Frankly they are a disaster.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:05 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Petry/Smid are our shutdown pairing.

They are SUPPOSED to be facing the opposition's top lines every night.

Do you suggest Whitney/Potter would be a better alternative?

Perhaps the rookie Justin Schultz?

Im not blaming just the defense. Im looking at them as an entire unit, who only one of which is actually contributing offensively and defensively for that matter.

The other five, four especially have been a disaster. Whitney and Potter being the most obvious offenders, but Smid and Petry have been close behind, particularly Petry.

On a night where everyone is concerned about the center position, there may indeed be equally pressing concerns about the back end. Frankly they are a disaster.
I'm not arguing that this isn't true, I'm just saying you can't blame a line like that for going minus when:

a) the forwards are playing bone-headed at ES

and

b) they're facing the opposition's toughest lines every game.

It's a recipe for accumulating minuses - even if you're playing a decent shut-down game (other than the 1st SJS game we really haven't been "dominated" by an opposition top line yet the way we used to).

In other words, their -5/-6 looks MUCH worse than Potter/Whitney's. I feel they'd be closer to even if we could score at ES.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:13 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'm not arguing that this isn't true, I'm just saying you can't blame a line like that for going minus when:

a) the forwards are playing bone-headed at ES

and

b) they're facing the opposition's toughest lines every game.

It's a recipe for accumulating minuses - even if you're playing a decent shut-down game (other than the 1st SJS game we really haven't been "dominated" by an opposition top line yet the way we used to).

In other words, their -5/-6 looks MUCH worse than Potter/Whitney's. I feel they'd be closer to even if we could score at ES.
They arent contributing offensively or defensively. They arent even playing very well when not being pressured, and when they are, they start running around and missing assignments. They are not always playing with the full of holes second line. They play with the top line too. If they cant cut it then we will have to find someone who can or be content with perpetual losing.

Replacing some of the poor defenders up front may help, but they still arent scoring. Petry has zero points. Whose fault is that? Hordichuk's? At some point they have to take responsibility. It cant always be the other guy's fault.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah I'm sure that Gagner is game to go head to head with the leagues best centers. When the Gagner PP unit starts the PP more often than not it seems like they aren't doing so hot against the opposing teams top PK unit. They are getting the cushy match-ups and doing well with it offensively but their collective +/-'s are -6, -5, and -3 so let's throw them out there against the league's best!
Just can't acknowledge who's bringing it to the party right now?.

Gagner line should be getting J Schultz. They sure as hell will be getting top coverage again as its obvious who the first line has been this year.

The +/- is mainly due to Whitney. Check out how much this line has been unfortunately paired with Whitney.

Really your whole post is a desperate attempt to not acknowledge some players. Its not hard to say the Gagner line is doing well.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-07-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:25 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Just can't acknowledge who's bringing it to the party right now?.

Gagner line should be getting J Schultz. They sure as hell will be getting top coverage again as its obvious who the first line has been this year.
They're producing but like I said in the other thread, I think it's mostly due to better puck luck and easier match-ups for the 2nd line.

The first line still by far out chances probably our other 3 lines combined on most nights. They're snake bit something fierce right now (Eberle again tonight misses a wide open net, Hall tries to go through the legs because he's upset about missing the penalty shot the other night, etc. etc. etc.).

Tonight was the first game I actually thought the 2nd line played well as a complete unit, as in Yakupov getting more involved and more touches. Soon he will be the straw that stirs the drink on that line, his shot is unreal.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
They're producing but like I said in the other thread, I think it's mostly due to better puck luck and easier match-ups for the 2nd line.

The first line still by far out chances probably our other 3 lines combined on most nights. They're snake bit something fierce right now (Eberle again tonight misses a wide open net, Hall tries to go through the legs because he's upset about missing the penalty shot the other night, etc. etc. etc.).

Tonight was the first game I actually thought the 2nd line played well as a complete unit, as in Yakupov getting more involved and more touches. Soon he will be the straw that stirs the drink on that line, his shot is unreal.
2nd line forwards are outscoring first line forwards 12-5 right now. A lot of the points that the 1st line has is a direct result of J Schultz being the best player on this club this year.

When you got the elite players on a line supported by an elite D you should be able to hold your own in the league. At some point they have to.

For the first 3 games of the season the Gagner line was getting the tough matchups. Thats how the season started. Check back to the first Vancouver game and the first SJ game and you see that.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:42 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
2nd line forwards are outscoring first line forwards 12-5 right now. A lot of the points that the 1st line has is a direct result of J Schultz being the best player on this club this year.

When you got the elite players on a line supported by an elite D you should be able to hold your own in the league. At some point they have to.

For the first 3 games of the season the Gagner line was getting the tough matchups. Thats how the season started. Check back to the first Vancouver game and the first SJ game and you see that.
The first line is getting the 5 star chances on most nights. They're in a funk.

I think RNH's shoulder hasn't been right since before Christmas, and that threw that line off just enough to screw up all their confidence, now they're doing stupid uncharacteristic things because they get down on themselves when they're not scoring.

Which is what you'd expect from kids.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The first line is getting the 5 star chances on most nights. They're in a funk.

I think RNH's shoulder hasn't been right since before Christmas, and that threw that line off just enough to screw up all their confidence, now they're doing stupid uncharacteristic things because they get down on themselves when they're not scoring.

Which is what you'd expect from kids.
Elite kids.

Agree on RNH and I've been saying it for a week now.

But Yak is a rookie in his first 10GP and for some reason getting all kinds of criticism on the board. I can't fathom that.

LMHF nailed it the other night. The first line were guilty in recent games of passing off on good scoring chances. Tonight I think they made a better adjustment and got back to shooting.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Elite kids.

Agree on RNH and I've been saying it for a week now.

But Yak is a rookie in his first 10GP and for some reason getting all kinds of criticism on the board. I can't fathom that.

LMHF nailed it the other night. The first line were guilty in recent games of passing off on good scoring chances. Tonight I think they made a better adjustment and got back to shooting.
They are elite kids (though they're not Crosby/Malkin lets not get carried away).

But sometimes in your development that can be a hurdle.

You think Hall didn't spend all the last two days being too hard on himself for not scoring on that penalty shot vs. Vancouver?

Of course. A vet is smarter at letting that go and moving on, when you're a kid ... you might do something out of character ... like say try to shoot the puck through your legs when you're wide open in front.

I totally saw that and knew exactly what was going on, lol. It's part of being young and impulsive.

Overpassing is another predictable sign of a young line trying too hard to score.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:55 AM
TennisBalls

EDM (3) - VAN (2)
SJS (6) - EDM (3)
LAK (1) - EDM (2) OT
EDM (3) - CGY (4)
COL (1) - EDM (4)
EDM (2) - PHX (1) OT
EDM (2) - SJS (3) SO
EDM (1) - COL (3)
VAN (3) - EDM (2) OT
DAL (3) - EDM (2) OT

We have:

Regulation wins: 2/10 20%
Regulation losses: 3/10 30%
OT wins: 2/10 20%
OT losses: 3/10 30%

I understand this is stating the obvious, but these stats are not all that good. The overtime loser points are the only reason we're sitting where we are. The next three games are going to be huge. The only players I feel have shown up consistently thus far are Hall, Hemsky, Gangner and Shultz. Not good. This team seriously needs to wake up and begin to compete every shift. Have some passion and drive. I'd love to see whats being said and how the moral is in the dressing room.

Being an Oiler fan is seriously the most frustrating thing ever.

TennisBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:13 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
What the Oilers need is to clean-house by trading away dead-weight.

Start by trading Ryan Whitney.

oilersfan11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Dont like Oilers deffense. Sutter and Seabrook would be great oilers, maybe it is not realistic signings but thats what the team need. Whitney needs to be gone, potter too. Oilers dont need more inexperience, tambo should trade picks + the mentioned ones.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote