vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Per Russo:

He's thinking:

Seto in over Granlund
Granlund scratched
Rupp on fourth line

Dont understand scratching Granlund after the game he had in Phoenix..looked great on the wing. Created a lot of offense..

Put him alongside Koivu and Parise like Coyle is given on a silver platter and watch him thrive..

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:01 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Dont understand scratching Granlund after the game he had in Phoenix..looked great on the wing. Created a lot of offense..

Put him alongside Koivu and Parise like Coyle is given on a silver platter and watch him thrive..
I do agree with you that Coyle being handed a first line spot in his second game infront of Granlund is unfair.

However, in terms of Granlund being scratched I think it makes some sense. First of all, Granlund hasn't exactly lit the world on fire these first ten games like a lot of people were expecting. In fact Yeo has kept him on the bench in a couple games down the stretch because of his struggles and made it known he hasn't been impressed with his play. Demotion to the 4th line against PHX echoed that.

Secondly, the decision to scratch Granlund over Setoguichi isn't neccessarily about who had a better game in PHX. It really is beneficial for a struggling rookie to get a press box view of the game sometimes. Hopefully it will allow him to take a step back and make some adjustments in his game.

Thirdly, we are playing a tough, physical team in Vancouver tomorrow. Granlund is smaller forward still adjusting to the speed of play and physicality of the NHL. The last thing we would need is for Granlund to get run through the boards and get hurt.

Finally, the spot Seto is taking is a third line role which he played a lot of in SJ. Granlund has no business being on a checking line. He's a liability in that position.

El Nino22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Kari Takko

I like the idea of benching Granlund for a game. Let him look at the game from the press box and hit the reset button on his season.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:05 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i want to see granlund centering Bouchard and Heatley. don't give a ****.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I do agree with you that Coyle being handed a first line spot in his second game infront of Granlund is unfair.

However, in terms of Granlund being scratched I think it makes some sense. First of all, Granlund hasn't exactly lit the world on fire these first ten games like a lot of people were expecting. In fact Yeo has kept him on the bench in a couple games down the stretch because of his struggles and made it known he hasn't been impressed with his play. Demotion to the 4th line against PHX echoed that.
He has atleats contributed with 3 points..thats more than can be said for Clutterbuck, Setoguchi, Broziak...the same amount as Cullen and Bouchard. Pretty good considering he hasn't "lit the world on fire"

If they stuck him on that top line like they are doing with Coyle there is no doubt in my mind he would outproduce Coyle.

And thats not saying I don't like Coyle its just he is being given that top line on a silver platter...

Play Granlund at wing on a scoring line with bigger players who can shoot the puck and watch him thrive..thats all I'm saying.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:11 PM
JamesRanger

Granlund is a victim of hype. Seems to me that Brodziak Cullen or Setoguchi should be scratched before Granlund. Oh well. In the end it should be a learning experience for him.

JamesRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:38 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Yeah let's throw Granlund into 2C, demote him to 4W and then scratch him. So great for development.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Yeah let's throw Granlund into 2C, demote him to 4W and then scratch him. So great for development.
That's the nature of being a rookie. He wasn't producing as a 2nd line center and looked out of place. He looked better at wing but we have too many wingers.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Can't we just move Coyle to center for a while? I believe he's played some center throughout his career and Granlund sure as hell hasn't looked much like a center so far.

Parise - Koivu - Seto
Granlund/Bouchard - Coyle - Heater
Granlund/Bouchard - Cullen - Mitchell
Rupp - Konopka - Clutter

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
TwInS1095

At this stage in Granlund's career, I just don't think playing center suits his abilities/playing style at all. The center in our offense hardly gets the puck and is usually the high guy/trailer in the offensive zone and the guy helping the D outlet it to the wings in the defensive zone. It doesn't fit his skillset at all. Personally, I think that's the biggest problem.

If he played all year like he did in Pheonix he'd be a Calder candidate easy. Some of you expect him to be a wizard with the puck like a Datsyuk, but Granlund created 4-5 really good scoring chances minimum against Phoenix. Plus, realistically Granlund's been really solid defensively all year. He's ran around a bit, but for some reason that's kind of how the whole team plays D. (Which is why we get caught out of position/have issues covering the points/covering guys in front of the net) We are constantly scrambling to get back into position.

Just my two cents...

Anyways...I think they put Coyle on the first line for two reasons...

1) I think that they still think Granlund is a center.
2) Coyle's body type is similiar to Heatley...although he's not quite as big...he's a lot faster. Heatley probably opens up space a lot better than Coyle in front of the net, though Coyle looked really good especially on that one play where Smith made a good toe save.

I'm not sure that they want another small guy with Parise...although it shouldn't really matter because Parise doesn't play small at all.

Personally I think the lines should be...

Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Heatley-Brodziak/Cullen-Coyle
Bouchard-Brodziak/Cullen-Setoguchi
Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Rupp/Kassian

Brodziak/Heater/Coyle could bruise people up in the cycle game.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Sportsfan1

You know Brodziak is struggling as much as Granlund, he's got to figure it out too. I like the new lines although Granlund or Larsson need to take that #2 center spot and not have it be Cullen.

Parise-Koivu-Coyle
Bouchard-Granlund/Larsson-Heatley
Setoguchi-Brodziak-Clutterbuck
Rupp/Powe-Konopka-Mitchell

Wild also depserately need Spurgeon back on D.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
At this stage in Granlund's career, I just don't think playing center suits his abilities/playing style at all. The center in our offense hardly gets the puck and is usually the high guy/trailer in the offensive zone and the guy helping the D outlet it to the wings in the defensive zone. It doesn't fit his skillset at all. Personally, I think that's the biggest problem.

If he played all year like he did in Pheonix he'd be a Calder candidate easy. Some of you expect him to be a wizard with the puck like a Datsyuk, but Granlund created 4-5 really good scoring chances minimum against Phoenix. Plus, realistically Granlund's been really solid defensively all year. He's ran around a bit, but for some reason that's kind of how the whole team plays D. (Which is why we get caught out of position/have issues covering the points/covering guys in front of the net) We are constantly scrambling to get back into position.

Just my two cents...

Anyways...I think they put Coyle on the first line for two reasons...

1) I think that they still think Granlund is a center.
2) Coyle's body type is similiar to Heatley...although he's not quite as big...he's a lot faster. Heatley probably opens up space a lot better than Coyle in front of the net, though Coyle looked really good especially on that one play where Smith made a good toe save.

I'm not sure that they want another small guy with Parise...although it shouldn't really matter because Parise doesn't play small at all.

Personally I think the lines should be...

Parise-Koivu-Granlund
Heatley-Brodziak/Cullen-Coyle
Bouchard-Brodziak/Cullen-Setoguchi
Mitchell-Konopka-Clutterbuck
Rupp/Kassian

Brodziak/Heater/Coyle could bruise people up in the cycle game.
Very good post with very good insight and much of it was spot on.

I agree with you on everything and your lineup that you want is identical to mine.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Can't we just move Coyle to center for a while? I believe he's played some center throughout his career and Granlund sure as hell hasn't looked much like a center so far.

Parise - Koivu - Seto
Granlund/Bouchard - Coyle - Heater
Granlund/Bouchard - Cullen - Mitchell
Rupp - Konopka - Clutter
Coyle hasn't played center since Boston U. Where he mostly played wing..so that means he hasn't played a full season at center since high school in MA. No thanks. He is a winger.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Henri M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post

I actually feel that it would be outragous to scratch Granlund at this point.

First off, he is above average point wise and +/- on a team which you could argue is underperforming on a whole.

Second, he is creating chances, and is capable of being a dangerous player as evident of the previous game. He also managed to create a couple of scoring chances in the 2-3 games his play was sub-par, which can not be said about a good deal of the other players.

Third, I would imagine it would piss me off to a great extent; the unfairness of Coyle playing on the top-line while being oneself scratched, and considering the "ok-ish" game Coyle had really does not warrent him on the top-line yet, in my opinion.

Fourth: Not that I really follow what Granlund says in the media much, but from the little information I have gathered, it seems as if he is a player who just enjoys to be able to play the game. Scratching him now could hurt his confidence even more.

At first the whole "fire Yeo" thing seemed silly to me, but if he actually scratches Granlund, I feel more inclined to agree with that sentiment.

Last edited by Henri M: 02-07-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Henri M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M View Post
I actually feel that it would be outragous to scratch Granlund at this point.

First off, he is above average point wise and +/- on a team which you could argue is underperforming on a whole.

Second, he is creating chances, and is capable of being a dangerous player as evident of the previous game. He also managed to create a couple of scoring chances in the 2-3 games his play was sub-par, which can not be said about a good deal of the other players.

Third, I would image it would piss me off to a great extent; the unfairness of Coyle playing on the top-line while being oneself scratched, and considering the "ok-ish" game Coyle had really does not warrent him on the top-line yet, in my opinion.

Fourth: Not that I really follow what Granlund says in the media much, but from the little information I have gathered, it seems as if he is a player who just enjoys to be able to play the game. Scratching him now could hurt his confidence even more.

At first the whole "fire Yeo" thing seemed silly to me, but if he actually scratches Granlund, I feel more inclined to agree with that sentiment.

Don't worry there will be another "fire yeo" thread in this season. Seems to me like he is way over his head.

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:25 AM
toewsintangibles

Coyle plays on the top line because he's a right handed shot

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:41 AM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Coyle plays on the top line because he's a right handed shot
So is Mitchell, Clutter, Gilbert etc... That must not be the only reason why he's there. I don't also understand why Coyle gets that position handed in a silver platter while Granlund is scratched... Doesn't make sense to me. I haven't seen anything from Coyle that would lead for a 1st line position...

hokijanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:04 AM
Gaps

I agree with the ones who say Coyle hasn't really earned that spot. He's played a grand total of one NHL game. He played fine (considering it was his first game), but still. Performance-wise he has no business there at this point. And I don't think Parise being small warrants placing Coyle there either, because as has been pointed out, Parise can more than hold his own physically.

Even Yeo has to know Granlund would eat a bucketful of slugs or run circles around the arena for 12 hours straight just to be given the same chance Coyle's being handed without any real merit right now. However, I think this is meant as a message to Heatley first and foremost, but you can't avoid sending Granlund another (very negative) message at the same time. Collateral damage.

Still, I'm trying not to blow this out of proportion with so little actual knowledge available. We'll see what happens, but right now I'd say this team simply cannot afford not to overlook the Koivu/Granlund card much longer. If the current trend continues and Yeo refuses to turn that stone, then I'll stop trying to understand him.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:58 AM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
If Yeo pulls Granlund after he has had more scoring chances than Brodziak and Clutterbuck combined i'll really start questioning my faith in him.
Isn't he going to play on the 3rd line? It's not worse than playing in the 4th and he actually made that line looking like a scoring line against Coyotes.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Isn't he going to play on the 3rd line? It's not worse than playing in the 4th and he actually made that line looking like a scoring line against Coyotes.
Not necessarily. Either Seto or him is going to be scratched and Russo thinks it's MiG.

Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Not necessarily. Either Seto or him is going to be scratched and Russo thinks it's MiG.
Lame if that happens.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:17 AM
urho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
Lame if that happens.
Not only lame but a bit unfair too. Granlund answered to the "message" as well as one could on the 4th line... Well, he didn't get any points but played a good game. There were much worse performers in that game, including Seto, Brodziak...

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Sportserie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Not only lame but a bit unfair too. Granlund answered to the "message" as well as one could on the 4th line... Well, he didn't get any points but played a good game. There were much worse performers in that game, including Seto, Brodziak...
Agreed. This is totally unfair. Granlund does not deserve this should it happen. WTF.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:30 AM
Tuomaz

Lame Mike Yeo is lame

Tuomaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Bullrun

Putting coyle on that top line could be even less balance than it was previously..at least he has the energy to grind out in the corners

The problem with the 2nd line this yr is that there have just been fast, skilled players but nobody to just go and plant themselves in the corner and get the puck. The line has just flown in...tried at the puck..and flown out

2nd line needs a big body that has energy to get and control the puck while the skilled guys get open

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote