HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks vs Sharks

Old
02-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Phu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Really glad our defense decided to suck as a whole last night.
Well, it's not like we were playing some schmuck team out there. The Hawks will test any defense. Towes took that puck from Murray, Murray didn't pass it to him.

That the game came down to a single goal which happened on refereeing ********, is probably a better sign than if we had fallen apart completely after the call.

Anyway I'm still pretty pissed about that call, but I am quite jazzed about Sheppard. A lot of our success centers on having underrated talent on reasonable contracts, and IMO Sheppard could develop on a Logan trajectory.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
but I am quite jazzed about Sheppard. A lot of our success centers on having underrated talent on reasonable contracts, and IMO Sheppard could develop on a Logan trajectory.
Hey Sheppard's looking pretty good but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Hey Sheppard's looking pretty good but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
He's got a lot of "uncoachables" (I will not use the Toews-word ), being able to work with so much veteran talent in a good organization could work wonders
My bold prediction at this point of the season is he ends up in the top six

Old
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
He's got a lot of "uncoachables" (I will not use the Toews-word ), being able to work with so much veteran talent in a good organization could work wonders
My bold prediction at this point of the season is he ends up in the top six
I've been pretty stoked since we signed him (I think i was the only one haha). Remember how high this kids potential was when he was drafted. He was simply surrounded with no talent, rushed to the NHL, and apparently very unhappy to top it off. Put a kid like that in a good environment, give him opportunities and you might end up with a diamond. He's got a ways to go, but so far he's looked like an excellent choice for a reclamation project.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Sheppard played great last night. That entire line of Sheppard - Handzus - Wingels looked great...unfortunately the result of that was a line of Desi - Gomez - Burish that didn't look so good.

It's also becoming more apparent to me that Justin Braun, as great as he can look sometimes and as much potential as he has, isn't the "right" type of defensiveman for this team right now. I see him akin to Jack Johnson, its not that he is bad, its just that he isn't the right player type to build a winning team with.

I would start thinking trade for him.

Vlasic - Burns
Boyle - Stuart
Demers - Irwin/Murray
Braun is totally different than JMFJ. That's a horrid comparison: Johnson bleeds Corsi events, and Braun is a Corsi boss. Seriously. Despite the mistakes he made last night, he still put a ton of shots on goal. Kid's a really good hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hello everyone just curious to see what Shark fans thought of Brandon Saad

We are very high on the kid and seeing him score last night after coming so close in recent games was a nice moment (Kid was all smiles on bench)
Kinda invisible. But I saw a Hawks game a few days ago (maybe it was against the Canucks) where he impressed the hell out of me. Drove the net, muscled off some guys, gained the blueline well. The two games I've seen of him were opposites on the spectrum, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

The Blackhawks are a team that despite being almost perfectly even with the Sharks in every area, poses a major matchup problem for us. Thornton's line was (as is typical) matched up against Chicago's top line at every opportunity. The Sharks' top line can generally be relied on to dominate against opposing teams' top lines, no matter who they are facing. Chicago is quite possibly the only team in the NHL whose first line can effectively cancel out Thornton's line and force the Sharks to rely on secondary scoring. Thornton spent most of last night in a defensive role, something that he is capable of doing but not something that you want your #1 center doing. McLellan rarely matches Thornton up individually in the defensive zone the way he did last night. As a result, he spent most of the night chasing Jonathan Toews around the ice. It's understandable that the Sharks' top line (or what remained of it) was limited in effectiveness last night considering the level of competition they faced and that it was a rare bad night; they usually smoke high-end competition. But the second line, facing far inferior competition, was also smoked. That won't happen against very many teams. Hell, it may not happen against any team but Chicago (and maybe St. Louis). But that does not bode well if we meet these guys again in the playoffs.

Oh, and the Vlasic-Stuart disaster has got to be shut down. Why in the world would you put those two together in the first place? The Sharks are a puck possession team; they need a puck-moving defenseman on the ice at all times to generate any type of breakout and/or offense at even strength. Vlasic and Stuart are both very strong in the defensive zone. They are probably our two best defensemen inside our own blue line. Unfortunately, they also are incapable of skating over our own blueline with the puck. They are death to the Sharks' offense every time they take the ice. T-Mac and Larry Robinson are way too smart to not see how idiotic it is to put two stay-at-home defensemen together. The only thing Vlasic can do to a puck with his stick is knock it down out of mid-air. He cannot actually use his stick to control or direct the puck in a way that does not involve swinging it like a baseball bat.

Stuart's puck skills are better, but the last time he did any type of puck moving was before the lockout. Once he got to Detroit, playing the exact same system that the Sharks play now, he pretty much anchored himself to the defensive zone and allowed his partner to do all the puck-moving. Vlasic does have one quality that Stuart's old partner had; impeccable positioning. Alas, Vlasic possesses an offensive skillset far more comparable to Douglas Murray than to Nick Lidstrom. As for Stuart, he no longer has the mobility he used to have, and because neither him nor Vlasic can move the puck an inch, they end up getting stuck in the defensive zone for long, extended shifts and subsequently handicap whatever forward line is out there with them. It needs to change.

And God, please, why do they keep rolling Douglas Murray out there!? It's painful to watch.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 02-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Squeeven

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415365

Just read that article taking a closer look on the Desjardins hit. We should have ended up with a 4 minute powerplay and we shouldn't have lost that game, at least not the way they broke the tie on the 4 on 4 which was bull****. While I don't believe he was do any of you think that Desjardins was targeting the head? I don't think so at all because I really don't think he's that kind of player at all but I'm curious if some of you think he was trying to.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post

Just read that article taking a closer look on the Desjardins hit. We should have ended up with a 4 minute powerplay and we shouldn't have lost that game, at least not the way they broke the tie on the 4 on 4 which was bull****. While I don't believe he was do any of you think that Desjardins was targeting the head? I don't think so at all because I really don't think he's that kind of player at all but I'm curious if some of you think he was trying to.
Absolutely not in any way whatsoever. He was clearly going shoulder to shoulder 100% indisputable.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:23 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You're judging Braun on a few bad mistakes in one game? He had a few great rushes up the ice as well. Comparing Braun to Jack Johnson could not be more wrong. Jack Johnson is all offense no defense. If anything, Braun this season has been better defensively than offensively. He is a huge part of the d-core's future; he's above average with his stick, has a good first pass, and has great foot speed. Not to mention he's been paired with Douglas Murray for the majority of his shifts. He literally has to play both sides of the ice because Murray is so slow. When Braun was paired with Vlasic by the end of the game, he looked a lot better. And by no surprise, when Stuart was paired with Murray, Stuart looked worse.
On Braun, so true. I for one really like him. Even the likes of Boyle, Keith, Chara, etc, all have their off game here and there. I for one also hope we hold on to our youth on the D. We have a pretty solid core of young D thus, meaning no need of any drastic re-build back there. It has already been done while still in contention.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Absolutely not in any way whatsoever. He was clearly going shoulder to shoulder 100% indisputable.
Yeh, the 'calls' on the play were awful. If we had the 4 minutes, we could have actually taken some control over the game again. Could be one of those ref mistakes that actually may have cost us the game as to add, it could have 'juiced' the team morale at that point from the solid hit alone. We always play the Hawks well when we use our size and strength on them. That 'could have been' a turning point for us.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sharks19 View Post
Yeh, the 'calls' on the play were awful. If we had the 4 minutes, we could have actually taken some control over the game again. Could be one of those ref mistakes that actually may have cost us the game as to add, it could have 'juiced' the team morale at that point from the solid hit alone. We always play the Hawks well when we use our size and strength on them. That 'could have been' a turning point for us.
If nothing else we could have hammered on them and evened up the fatigue level a bit. In any event, the game was compromised from that point on.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:42 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
If nothing else we could have hammered on them and evened up the fatigue level a bit. In any event, the game was compromised from that point on.
Exactly. Similar to when your team is pressuring with multiple opportunities and then they come down on a single opportunity and pop a softy on your goal. Draining mentally.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:58 PM
rangerssharks414

vCash: 1227
I dozed off after the first period. I did read through the GDT though, so I know about the "match penalty". I know it's since been rescinded, but what kind of bull**** call was that? I hate b****ing about the refs, but come on, the Sharks should have had a four minute power play out of that.

Outside of the first period, how did they look? It looks like Clowe and Murray sucked again.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
I dozed off after the first period. I did read through the GDT though, so I know about the "match penalty". I know it's since been rescinded, but what kind of bull**** call was that? I hate b****ing about the refs, but come on, the Sharks should have had a four minute power play out of that.

Outside of the first period, how did they look? It looks like Clowe and Murray sucked again.
20 turnovers

That's how they looked.

Old
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
MDsjs22

This one still stings a bit even today. We had a good amount of time to climb back into it after that ridiculously bad call, but that completely changed the course of the game. I hate to blame officiating, but damn that was so ****ing bad. Oh well, gotta move onto the next one.

Also, just to reiterate, Clowe/Murray have been pretty bad. I thought Murray actually made a few good plays last night, but overall he's still pretty shaky and holy crap is he slow.

Last edited by MDsjs22: 02-06-2013 at 06:49 PM.
MDsjs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
rangerssharks414

vCash: 1227
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
20 turnovers

That's how they looked.
Oh god... good thing I didn't watch the final two periods.

They have two more off days to get their s*** together. They've been playing like crap lately.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
Oh god... good thing I didn't watch the final two periods.

They have two more off days to get their s*** together. They've been playing like crap lately.
To be fair, the Hawks were turning it over just as often, AND our PK streak is over 30 now. Crazy.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Phu

This link came up in the main board thread ... good info there on why the rescinding is important and not for nothing.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:44 PM
JumboThornton92

I think it would be in our interest to forget what happened last night and pretend this season was only 47 games when it was all said and done.

JumboThornton92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:14 AM
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!

Quote:

This link came up in the main board thread ... good info there on why the rescinding is important and not for nothing.
So it was the linesman's fault. The hockey gods were not pleased with that call.

ChubbChubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:36 AM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
To be fair, the Hawks were turning it over just as often, AND our PK streak is over 30 now. Crazy.
Still, 3 losses in a row after 7 straight wins... need to see more consistency from the team. But I am in love with the PK. Complete 360 from last year. Robinson for head coach

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:31 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
Dukelicious.

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
So it was the linesman's fault. The hockey gods were not pleased with that call.
Yep. Same one that got tagged with the puck. Pickles knew...

Verba movent, exempla trahunt
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:37 AM
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Still, 3 losses in a row after 7 straight wins... need to see more consistency from the team. But I am in love with the PK. Complete 360 from last year. Robinson for head coach
We knew they weren't going to keep winning forever. 7-2-1 in your first ten is damn good, regardless of the order they came in. The PK has been a complete turnaround so far, I'm loving it too. What I'm not loving is how little Adam Burish is impacting it. His contract continues to baffle me. The PK is doing great but it is being lead by the team's best players. I'm a little worried this team is too dependent on their top players for everything and that it might come bite them later in the year.

Overall, the team is still in the top 10 on the PP and the PK, which is fantastic. If they can keep this up for another 10 games or so it would be very encouraging.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:59 AM
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns

Anyone else super dissapointed in the way Mayers responded to that hit in the media?

Always liked the guy but he played it up like it was a hit to the head. Even saying "these are the types of hits we are trying to take out of the game"...

Blatent lying piece of **** in my opinion.

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:01 AM
slocal
Global Moderator
Dukelicious.

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCinSJ View Post
Anyone else super dissapointed in the way Mayers responded to that hit in the media?

Always liked the guy but he played it up like it was a hit to the head. Even saying "these are the types of hits we are trying to take out of the game"...

Blatent lying piece of **** in my opinion.
I have to admit that my opinion of him has lowered considerably (I thought he was a level chap). It would be nice if he manned up like Landeskog and admitted the hit was clean. Shows the gap in class between the two, IMO.

slocal is offline   Reply With Quote