HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Claude Giroux discussion

Old
02-07-2013, 05:01 AM
canadianguy77

vCash: 500
Claude Giroux discussion

I'll admit, he's had 2 good years in the league. But he's not that young anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. He's not a ppg player for his career, has decent talent around him, and yet he's not producing like he should be. Is he a "flash in the pan sort of star"? After 10 games, (pretty much 20% of the season, he has 6 points) and looks like he's "leading" his team to a lottery pick. Maybe he's just not that good.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:03 AM
lampshade*

Pietriangelo is, not even close.

lampshade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:04 AM
ayoshi

But he dominated the German league

ayoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:10 AM
Koempel

Everyone hits rough spots during their career, even the supposed star players. Maybe he misses Jagr a bit. Giroux wil be fine in the end (I do not mind if he would disappoint, being a Pens fan and all) and he will be as dangerous as before in the postseason. I am pretty sure they will make the dance for Lord Stanley.

Koempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
I'll admit, he's had 2 good years in the league. But he's not that young anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any better. He's not a ppg player for his career, has decent talent around him, and yet he's not producing like he should be. Is he a "flash in the pan sort of star"? After 10 games, (pretty much 20% of the season, he has 6 points) and looks like he's "leading" his team to a lottery pick. Maybe he's just not that good.
Right lets discard his previous 2 years work, discard his 55 points in 50 playoff games and call him a bad player because of 10 games into a shortened season. Guess the bandwagon fans are already jumping ship.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bp spec

vCash: 50
No he's certainly not.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:11 AM
Devonator

Not at all..one of the best in the world.....silly thread to say the least!

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:14 AM
StandingCow

Still one of the top 15. Even though he hasn't been scoring he has been playing a really good two way game.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:16 AM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Oh dear Lord, where to start... This is a post that sums up everything that is wrong with some posters on here.

Quote:
I'll admit, he's had 2 good years in the league. But he's not that young anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any better.
Excluding this and his first season, he's only had 3 full seasons in the NHL. Not that young? He's 25, for crying out loud!

Quote:
He's not a ppg player for his career, has decent talent around him, and yet he's not producing like he should be. Is he a "flash in the pan sort of star"?
He is 0.84 PPG, that's not a bad return for almost 300 games. A "flash in the pan sort of star" wouldn't have put up 2 solid seasons' of scoring and been recognised as a good player before those.

Quote:
After 10 games, (pretty much 20% of the season, he has 6 points) and looks like he's "leading" his team to a lottery pick. Maybe he's just not that good.
After 10 games, in which his team has also struggled. Still plenty of time for the Flyers to turn it around. Form is temporary, class is permanent. If he really isn't that good, you need more than 10 games (or 20% of one sample season, especially one without a proper training camp, etc.) to evaluate if he is good or not.

I'm not a Flyers fan but these sort of posts are just indicative of the impatient posters that generally populate these boards.

The Angry Teatowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
So he puts up 93 points last season, is third in league scoring, and maybe he's just not that good? how many games into this season? I'd trade just about any player on the Leafs for Giroux.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:17 AM
freakydallas13

Quote:
has decent talent around him
His left winger for the last few games has been none other than the elite prospect Tye Mcginn.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:18 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Pietriangelo is, not even close.
I don't think you watch the Blues.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:18 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Still one of the top 15. Even though he hasn't been scoring he has been playing a really good two way game.
Good enough to play for team Canada next year? I've watched all of Philly's games this year, and he doesn't seem to be the same guy he was last year. I can excuse that for older players, because of the time off and whatnot, but he's supposed to be a player in his prime. I just don't see why his dropoff is so huge. Losing Jagr...really? I'm starting to think that an old Jagr made him look good. Better than he actually is.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:24 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Good enough to play for team Canada next year? I've watched all of Philly's games this year, and he doesn't seem to be the same guy he was last year. I can excuse that for older players, because of the time off and whatnot, but he's supposed to be a player in his prime. I just don't see why his dropoff is so huge. Losing Jagr...really? I'm starting to think that an old Jagr made him look good. Better than he actually is.
Seems like you created this thread with a clear agenda... and nothing we say is going to change your mind.

Fine, Giroux sucks now and is one of the worse players in the league. Happy? LOL

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Tavaresfan91

Comon man...still top 10-15 player in the WORLD....just off to a slow start

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:28 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Seems like you created this thread with a clear agenda... and nothing we say is going to change your mind.

Fine, Giroux sucks now and is one of the worse players in the league. Happy? LOL
Not happy...just beginning to think he's overrated. I honestly thought he'd be better than he is this year, especially considering the beat-down the Flyers gave the Pens in the playoffs last year. I thought he would be better for it, and would be a truly elite player this year. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe the captaincy was too much. Maybe it messed with his head. I don't know.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Patriks7

Depends. If you're one of those saying he's top 3, then definitely overrated.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:31 AM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriks7 View Post
Depends. If you're one of those saying he's top 3, then definitely overrated.
I thought top 5, at least.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Exit Dose

No, he isn't. Of course in the unlikely event that their GM thinks so, I'm sure there are 29 other teams that will take the burden of his contract off of their hands.

There was a lockout. He's not the only star player to have a rough start this year.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:35 AM
El_Loco_Avs

He totally is. Let's trade O'Reilly to the Flyers for him!

El_Loco_Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Not happy...just beginning to think he's overrated. I honestly thought he'd be better than he is this year, especially considering the beat-down the Flyers gave the Pens in the playoffs last year. I thought he would be better for it, and would be a truly elite player this year. Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe the captaincy was too much. Maybe it messed with his head. I don't know.
Yeah and maybe it was Dupius and Kunitz making Crosby look good all along, Crosby looked horrible (by his standards) through the first 7 games, Kunitz had to score 4 freaking goals for Crosby to even have chance at the scoring race, what a scrub.

Sky04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
This is jumpimg the gun a bit in my opinion. Not every player is going to get off to a good start every year. 10 games into a season is not enough to start talking about how a guy is overrated. There are a bunch of good players who have not started out on fire this year.

Girioux out played, out scored, and out classed Crosby in the playoffs last year, I didn't see anyone saying this when he was scoring something like 17 points in one series against the Penguins last year. That also doesn't make him a better player than Crosby, you just can't take a handful of games and define a player by it.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:38 AM
captainpaxil

as a setup guy giroux will always need players that can put the puck in the net and right now philly is without a true sniper. along with that g is now breaking in his third power forward on that line having lost both simmonds and hartnell to injury. i have little doubt hes going to pick things up and finish at about a point per game pace for the year but no thats not truly superstar expectations nor is it the true limit of his potential. i see giroux very similarly to jarome iginla. he has the talent and ability on his own to have one astounding year but to really break into that highest level hell need the right supporting cast

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Soderberg

No and any team would love to have him.

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 05:40 AM
WangMustGo
NYI

I think he will easily be a PPG player by the end of this season, and I think he will average about a PPG for a while. Top 10 player in my opinion.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote