HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do we need a heavyweight enforcer...

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Darcy Hordichuk on waivers?
Yes 21 33.87%
No 41 66.13%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2013, 11:13 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
You, show me some data, smart guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Bergeron, Savard, Horton.
Done.

And now you can bring up the Scott fight. The argument is that there will be far more evidence supporting the stance ECWHSWI and I share than yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
There are no absolutes in hockey. You can find exceptions to everything. But for the majority of the time with a majority of NHL teams, if you take liberties with a star player, you will have to answer for it.

Again, no absolutes.
I never said it was an absolute. Of course an emotional swing can help your team. My argument is that it doesn't happen often enough and that even when it does, the magnitude of that boost isn't enough to qualify giving away a roster spot to someone who may or may (probably) not be on the ice at the precise time he's needed to punch somebody in the nose. Some teams that are stacked may be able to afford that luxury, the habs are not quite that stacked yet.

And I agree that you generally have to answer for decking a star player. Look at Bourque after he elbowed Backstrom, I think? He had to fight Hendricks and nearly knocked his head off. I just see it as having a negligible impact either way.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Done.

And now you can bring up the Scott fight. The argument is that there will be far more evidence supporting the stance ECWHSWI and I share than yours.

I never said it was an absolute. Of course an emotional swing can help your team. My argument is that it doesn't happen often enough and that even when it does, the magnitude of that boost isn't enough to qualify giving away a roster spot to someone who may or may (probably) not be on the ice at the precise time he's needed to punch somebody in the nose. Some teams that are stacked may be able to afford that luxury, the habs are not quite that stacked yet.

And I agree that you generally have to answer for decking a star player. Look at Bourque after he elbowed Backstrom, I think? He had to fight Hendricks and nearly knocked his head off. I just see it as having a negligible impact either way.

considering that after Scott beat the crap out of Thornton, the Bruins took a 3-1 lead, I'd suggest he doesnt bring that fight up

Old
02-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
considering that after Scott beat the crap out of Thornton, the Bruins took a 3-1 lead, I'd suggest he doesnt bring that fight up
Seeing as how Scotty Bowman, the best coach in NHL history used them I'd think they're important Lou Lamierello, Glen Sather, all the best hockey coaches and GM's. You know people that have done something in the game. But a keyboard warrior knows better. Funny.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Seeing as how Scotty Bowman, the best coach in NHL history used them I'd think they're important Lou Lamierello, Glen Sather, all the best hockey coaches and GM's. You know people that have done something in the game. But a keyboard warrior knows better. Funny.
Nearly everyone here is a keyboard warrior.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Aren't you exactly that ?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Aren't you exactly that ?
Are you?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:02 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Are you?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:52 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Done.

Savard, Bergeron and Horton shows little to nothing regarding the roles of enforcers. All it shows is that injuries and bad plays can and still happen, no one ever suggested otherwise, to think having a heavyweight can eliminate all injuries and cheap shots is well, naive. However, they do provide security/production to the good players and they also provide increased security for the middleweights and other guys that handle the tough stuff.

So I will ask again. Show me the evidence, because right now all you've shown is that injuries still happen. Wow, not exactly mind blowing here. There is undoubtedly and accumulative effect over the course of a long season that benefits non fighters by having fighters police the game to varying degrees. Nearly every good team has someone who can perform the role, although they may not be a strict heavyweight, but carrying one instead of Colby Armstrong would not hinder the play of the habs at all and "could" provide Prust/White/moen relief to help increase their role. I would much rather have one than Colby Armstrong.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
top tier hockey, Junior B... I wouldnt call it insight
I said top tier UNTIL junior as in
Mites AAA 2 years
Novice AAA 2 years
Atom AAA 2 years
Bantom AAA 2 years
Midget AAA 1 year before rewcieving a 3 year suspension for beatin down a. 5 man group and a goalie then was called up to local junior be team for 2 years

Old
02-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
top tier hockey, Junior B... I wouldnt call it insight
Have you ever even played a game of hockey where fighting was allowed or ever played on at all? Lol

Old
02-07-2013, 07:21 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Mites AAA 2 years
Novice AAA 2 years
Atom AAA 2 years
Bantom AAA 2 years
Midget AAA 1 year before rewcieving a 3 year suspension for beatin down a. 5 man group and a goalie then was called up to local junior be team for 2 years
I say,

Tell us more about your experiences anytime.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I say,

Tell us more about your experiences anytime.
Where you being serious or mocking me? I new here lol

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Pigems*

I was also only 16yo when s called up to junior. Its a whole different game when fighting is allowed, it changes EVERYTHING

Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Where you being serious or mocking me? I new here lol
Think about it...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
Think about it...
That's what I figured lol

Old
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
bud12

Quote:
Done.

not a valide point. Dirty or clean, injuries happen

Anaheim and Boston Stanley Cup champion. That's a valid point...
Scott vs Boston
Boston vs Vancouver
Ottawa vs Flyers 2006
players opinions...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Have you ever even played a game of hockey where fighting was allowed or ever played on at all? Lol
even had fights pretty much every years...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:28 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Mites AAA 2 years
Novice AAA 2 years
Atom AAA 2 years
Bantom AAA 2 years
Midget AAA, but then not even good enough to make Junior -> A...

really ? thanks for sharing that fantasy of yours.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Midget AAA, but then not even good enough to make Junior -> A...

really ? thanks for sharing that fantasy of yours.
I was offered a tryout in the Q with the mooseheads but never went as I'm only 5 9 and knew as not going anywares with hockey. Chose to play junior B cause I lived across the road from their home rink and I knew the coach dwight dempster.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I was offered a tryout in the Q with the mooseheads but never went as I'm only 5 9 and knew as not going anywares with hockey. Chose to play junior B cause I lived across the road from their home rink and I knew the coach dwight dempster.
sure...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
sure...
Haha I'm not here to prove myself to anyone lol I could care less if you don't belive me hahaha

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Haha I'm not here to prove myself to anyone lol I could care less if you don't belive me hahaha
says the guy who jump into a conversation saying "hey! I played hockey"... yup...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
sure...
Comon big guy let's have your playing history? Road hockey? Houseleague maybe? Lol

Old
02-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
says the guy who jump into a conversation saying "hey! I played hockey"... yup...
Agreed

Anyway, could we please go on with the main topic ?

Steve McIntyre anybody ?

Last edited by Vasculio: 02-07-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Wrong thread...
Old
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Pigems*

So anyone with better first hand knowledge of proof I'd love to hear your story.

Closed Thread