HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Ben Lovejoy to Anaheim for 2014 5th Round Draft Pick

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

vCash: 500
Great news for breakfast

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Strait was more NHL ready than either of those two.

Believe me, I'm happy that both are playing, but let's not pretend they haven't been making some glaring mistakes as they try to learn.
I agree. Low maintenance and ready to do his dependable defensive D-man job against just about anyone, just as he has proven on the Islanders, and just like a number of us here said before the season.

His ceiling is lower than his direct competition in Pittsburgh though (not counting Lovejoy), and more importantly he doesn't add anything in terms of player attributes that we don't already have.
It was poor asset management not dealing/waiving Lovejoy instead of him, but truth be told I don't know what we would have done now if we did deal/waive Lovejoy, because I think there'd be little point to having both Strait and Bort sitting in the stands every night.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Soo, Reese was recalled, is that so we can carry 7 D while Niskanen is on IR? Or is he here as the 8th defenseman and we're still questioning Boychuk staying.
7th defender until Niskanen comes back. Shero would never let this team roll with just 6 defenders on the roster unless he absolutely had to. Once Nisky comes back Reese goes back to WBS.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Honour Over Glory

Unless Reese plays well, if he gets any playing time, then he gets claimed and WBS loses another solid defender. It is what it is, hope Lovejoy can rebound with the Ducks, Bortuzzo quickly out played him and pushed him down on the depth chart (which was happening way too often to Ben, every time someone was called up).

Old
02-07-2013, 03:04 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Unless Reese plays well, if he gets any playing time, then he gets claimed and WBS loses another solid defender. It is what it is, hope Lovejoy can rebound with the Ducks, Bortuzzo quickly out played him and pushed him down on the depth chart (which was happening way too often to Ben, every time someone was called up).
Unless it changed in the new CBA that I missed, Reese would have to play 10 games or be up with the big club for 30 days before he had to go back through waivers again. Niskanen should be back well before then, so fortunately that shouldn't be a problem.

--------------

At the end of the day, I think the best seven defensemen ended up sticking on the NHL roster. How the Pens got to that point is still up for debate and I agree with those who would rather have kept Strait initially over Lovejoy. Going forward, I'm glad Despres and Bortuzzo were the two that stuck with the big club.

Hell, this wasn't even the hard part. That will come in the spring when the front office has to choose which defensive prospects to keep and which to shop for pieces for a run at the Cup.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:13 AM
fragmag

Great news to wake up to. Cup run!

Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Unless it changed in the new CBA that I missed, Reese would have to play 10 games or be up with the big club for 30 days before he had to go back through waivers again. Niskanen should be back well before then, so fortunately that shouldn't be a problem.

--------------

At the end of the day, I think the best seven defensemen ended up sticking on the NHL roster. How the Pens got to that point is still up for debate and I agree with those who would rather have kept Strait initially over Lovejoy. Going forward, I'm glad Despres and Bortuzzo were the two that stuck with the big club.

Hell, this wasn't even the hard part. That will come in the spring when the front office has to choose which defensive prospects to keep and which to shop for pieces for a run at the Cup.
Agreed.

The last part in particular is a huge decision because we're not talking about low ceiling guys like Lovejoy and Strait. Which of the higher end prospects like Despres, Morrow, Pouliot etc. to be willing to part with will be a much tougher decision when the time comes.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:03 AM
JTG

I wish the best to Benny. This has not been, by far, the best hockey he's played. I think he can be a solid bottom pairing guy. The best guys are on the roster now. I also think the fact that Lovejoy got a 5th, and he has NHL experience under his belt shows what we could have got for Strait if we were to trade him.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Lemieuxfan

Send a message via ICQ to Lemieuxfan
that makes the Strait move look even worse...

Old
02-07-2013, 05:50 AM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
Explain....

Because the way I see it is that if Islanders were the only team that wanted Strait, and they knew we had to put him on waivers, what do you want Shero to do?

Old
02-07-2013, 06:04 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Indifferent to the value of Ben Lovejoy for a 5th. Over the moon at the fact that neither Simon Despres nor Bortuzzo will be sat in favor of Lovejoy again.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieuxfan View Post
I think all it shows is that neither Strait or Lovejoy were in Shero's plans. I don't think Shero wanted to keep either of them to start with but he probably kept one of them around just as insurance until he saw enough from Despres and Bortuzzo to feel comfortable letting whatever temporary #8 D-Man he kept on the NHL roster go. You can debate that Lovejoy should have gone before Strait but I think we've arrived at the same place since both were going to be gone at some point.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:20 AM
Alesle

I'm happy with this; he was never in our long-term plans anyway. Not that the return is anything to write home about (as far as I know, the last Penguins 5th round pick to become a regular NHLer was Rob Scuderi in 1998), but it's better than losing him to waivers.

Hopefully he'll carve out a nice career for himself, he seemed like a nice guy and I wish him all the best with Anaheim.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:24 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
I'm happy with this; he was never in our long-term plans anyway. Not that the return is anything to write home about (as far as I know, the last Penguins 5th round pick to become a regular NHLer was Rob Scuderi in 1998), but it's better than losing him to waivers.

Hopefully he'll carve out a nice career for himself, he seemed like a nice guy and I wish him all the best with Anaheim.
Dustin Jeffrey was a 6th rounder. Joe Vitale was a 7th rounder. Though not with us, Muzzin has made a pretty nice career for himself as a 5th rounder.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:25 AM
joey23

Now that really makes my day!

Old
02-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Krom

So Strait, Lovejoy, and Sneep for Boychuk and a 5th rounder.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:38 AM
JTG

The Strait and Sneep thing sucks because we lost our 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2006 for absolutely nothing.

And as ****** as our 2006 draft was, Boston's was incredible. They drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand in that draft which turned into Tyler Seguin, Jared Knight, Dougie Hamilton, Milan Lucic, and Brad Marchand.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Dustin Jeffrey was a 6th rounder. Joe Vitale was a 7th rounder. Though not with us, Muzzin has made a pretty nice career for himself as a 5th rounder.
I'd still say none of those were Penguins 5th round picks that made it as NHLers (for us) . I get your sentiment though, and I agree there can be value to be had in the later rounds. I'm just not expecting much from a 5th round pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:52 AM
Will Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
So Strait, Lovejoy, and Sneep for Boychuk and a 5th rounder.
No! You forgot that 7th rounder if Sneep plays 10+ games with Dallas

I´m still sad about that Strait´s move. But this Lovejoy´s move really makes the things easier for us. We got something for him and now we can feel quite good about our D-situation.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:04 AM
KIRK

Lovejoy = First Domino . . . K5

Old
02-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Krom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
No! You forgot that 7th rounder if Sneep plays 10+ games with Dallas

I´m still sad about that Strait´s move. But this Lovejoy´s move really makes the things easier for us. We got something for him and now we can feel quite good about our D-situation.
Yeah it boils down to :

2nd round (Sneep, 2006)
3rd round (Strait, 2006)
Lovejoy

for

1st round (Boychuk, 2008)
5th round
Conditional 7th round

Old
02-07-2013, 07:11 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

The tears that are continually shed over Brian Strait boggle my mind. Are you guys carrying torches for Ryan Lannon and Andy Sertich too? This is not the utter tragedy it has been made out to be.

That said, I'm with KIRK on this. Seems like a precursor move for something else.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:15 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
The tears that are continually shed over Brian Strait boggle my mind. Are you guys carrying torches for Ryan Lannon and Andy Sertich too? This is not the utter tragedy it has been made out to be.

That said, I'm with KIRK on this. Seems like a precursor move for something else.
I do not think it's a precursor as much as it was Shero finding a perfect time to move Lovejoy w/o letting him hit waivers. Nisky will be back in a couple weeks and we are find for right now. Anaheim probably reached out and Shero couldn't say yes quick enough.

And I agree... Strait wasn't going to get us more than a 5th. I don't get why people would be okay trading Strait for a 5th rounder and cutting Lovejoy... but the other way around happens and they are furious.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Will Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

And I agree... Strait wasn't going to get us more than a 5th. I don't get why people would be okay trading Strait for a 5th rounder and cutting Lovejoy... but the other way around happens and they are furious.
If we could get that 2013 5th rounder for Strait (which I am still not very comfortable with, but OK..) then we should definitely make it happen. We shouldn´t cry over 5th rounder, but it was terrible asset management. You can reasonably use those additional picks on TDL, when you are not confident in searching for a gem.

That said, with Bortuzzo and Despres playing good and with sensible move with Lovejoy, the things are looking much better now. Now, get us that winger Ray, and all is solved.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

I'm sorry, but all this crying over Strait needs to end. It's unbearable to read this board sometimes...

What's done is done, move on. I, for one, am happy how things have panned out. I have really liked what I have seen from Bort and Despres. There just isn't enough room in the Pen's club for all the d-men that the Pens have. Some have to be moved, and the good ones will be traded for something worthwhile.

Strait is getting a chance with another club that he wouldn't have gotten here, be happy for him and wipe your tears.

Now, for the other matter at hand...happy to see Lovejoy out of the picture, best of luck to him with the Ducks.

Closed Thread