HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Zodiac

vCash: 500
3DMark 2013 is out ...
http://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads

should be interesting.

Old
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Zodiac

my results ...

i should probably think of upgrading the cpu/board this year. looking to Haswell.

Last edited by Zodiac: 02-05-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
If I still had my job, I would probably buy this at this price:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZ-7TD...gizmodoamzn-20
Just a word of warning if you can find a Samsung 830 at a similar price/capacity go with the 830. As the 840 uses lower grade flash memory. The 840 Pro is the real successor to the 830.

(I own an 840 NON-Pro fyi )

Old
02-05-2013, 08:08 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

vCash: 50
Need le advice.
I'm thinking of snagging this processor while it's on sale.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=4904561
What do you guys think?
I will be doing some gaming, and I understand it's not the best CPU in gaming but will it hold it's own for the next 2-3 years do you think?

I'm a little unsure when it comes to AMD. I'll throw the build I'm making up in a sec for your wonderful reviews.

Video Card - Sapphire HD 7870 PC1E 2GB DDR5 PC1e 3.0
Drive - BC-12C1ST 12X [Has blu-ray. I'm a fan of still buying movies soo...]
RAM - Patriot Viper 3 Intel [16GB]
HDD - Seagate 2TB Barracuda [Will get another 2TB and RAID 0 eventually mmmaybe]
Motherboard - ASUS Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 AM3+
Power Supply - Thermaltake TR-700 [700W of power]
Case - Coolermaster HAF 912
CPU - AMD FX-8350

Spew some wisdom boys. I'm sure there's something I've maybe missed.

Last edited by D Fresh: 02-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Need le advice.
I'm thinking of snagging this processor while it's on sale.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=4904561
What do you guys think?
I will be doing some gaming, and I understand it's not the best CPU in gaming but will it hold it's own for the next 2-3 years do you think?

I'm a little unsure when it comes to AMD. I'll throw the build I'm making up in a sec for your wonderful reviews.

Video Card - Sapphire HD 7870 PC1E 2GB DDR5 PC1e 3.0
HDD - Seagate 2TB Barracuda [Will get another 2TB and RAID 0 eventually mmmaybe]
Power Supply - Thermaltake TR-700 [700W of power]
CPU - AMD FX-8350

Spew some wisdom boys. I'm sure there's something I've maybe missed.
Actually if I were buying a CPU right now that's the one I'd look at. It does just fine in gaming. Also the socket isn't a dead end like Intel's LGA 1155.

Wouldn't bother with RAID-0, unless its for certain applications. I used to do it a lot before SSD's were cheap but now it's not all that helpful. Plus you double your failure chances.

I'd probably add on the good ole hyper 212+ just to keep things nice and cool. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...0641&CatId=798

That thermaltake PSU is not all that well thought of, and frankly I've never had a thermaltake product that wasn't noisy as hell.
Think you need to get a littler higher quality unit. Something like this is a good baseline.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817256071

If you feel you need a little more, maybe a CX750.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817139051

600W is plenty, the only card that really needs more than that is like a GTX 690. Or if you stuff your system to the gills with accessories, which it doesn't look like you are doing.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Benny Lava

Side note but that RAM is a bit overkill unless you're going to be doing a ton of multitasking, but RAM's not really a big investment so you can do whatever. Like Sniper said the AM3 socket will be likely be used for at least another 2 generations, so you can upgrade to Steamroller or Excavator when they come out without having to get a new motherboard.

So I'm looking into getting an IPS monitor. Anyone have any experience with this Asus or another suggestion around or under $200?

Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

In other news, I broke and ended up picking up this 7950 boost version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202006

Combo deal is really good, plus I did some more checking and was surprised to find the 7950 is 36% faster than my 6950. Quite substantial for a single generation change. The gen before this one was only about 11%.

Old
02-05-2013, 11:41 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Lava View Post
Side note but that RAM is a bit overkill unless you're going to be doing a ton of multitasking, but RAM's not really a big investment so you can do whatever. Like Sniper said the AM3 socket will be likely be used for at least another 2 generations, so you can upgrade to Steamroller or Excavator when they come out without having to get a new motherboard.

So I'm looking into getting an IPS monitor. Anyone have any experience with this Asus or another suggestion around or under $200?
Not all IPS panels are created equal; I have an Asus ML239H, bought it a couple years ago off newegg, but IIRC, it's a 6-bit one. Nice viewing angles, and it's a step up from a TN panel, but blues can show dithering.

The better ones are 8-bit, like some of the Dells (where ever they source them from, not sure if Samsung or LG).

If I had the coin, and since I do a fair amount of photo editing, I would get an 8-bit panel, but even then, I'm pretty happy with what I've got, and it does sRGB well. Not terribly concerned about ghosting or anything, since I'm not a huge gamer, but my monitor suits me there too.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
my results ...

i should probably think of upgrading the cpu/board this year. looking to Haswell.
You probably still don't have to. Your OC'ed CPU is faster still than my stock 2500k based on 3dmark13 anyway. Check the Physics scores. Also other scores with 680's in them seem about the same as yours. I'd bet you could hold out till broadwell unless you wanna go SLI 680's.

Mine:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/106598
For some reason it detected my CPU at 1600mhz, but the results matched others with similar hardware. I think it just didn't detect the speedstep change.

I noticed that the fire test seems to kick the crap out of last gen GPUs, including my soon to be replaced 6950.

TPU has a results thread, good to compare with. Though keep in mind a lot of the cards have a very high OC listed on the right.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh....php?p=2837782

Old
02-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
You probably still don't have to. Your OC'ed CPU is faster still than my stock 2500k based on 3dmark13 anyway. Check the Physics scores. Also other scores with 680's in them seem about the same as yours. I'd bet you could hold out till broadwell unless you wanna go SLI 680's.

Mine:
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/106598
For some reason it detected my CPU at 1600mhz, but the results matched others with similar hardware. I think it just didn't detect the speedstep change.

I noticed that the fire test seems to kick the crap out of last gen GPUs, including my soon to be replaced 6950.

TPU has a results thread, good to compare with. Though keep in mind a lot of the cards have a very high OC listed on the right.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh....php?p=2837782
ya it probably detected ur cpu at a lower power state, etc., but kicked into normal speed when running the test.

ya i probably could wait a bit for the cpu change ...i dunno. if i did do it this year, it'd be around october to december which would make my current cpu 3 years old. i'll see how i feel about it around that time.

i'd ideally like to move up to at least a 6 core/ 12 thread cpu next.

your new AMD card should post scores much better than your current on 3dmark. from what i've seen so far, AMD seems to be the kind of the new 3dmark ...so that bodes well for you. of course drivers will likely be better optimized for it by both team red and team green ...so it'll be interesting to see if AMD keeps the lead.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:26 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

So here's what I bought.

Video Card - Sapphire HD 7950
HDD - Forgot to buy it. So foolish. I'll just go to a computer store once all the parts come in.
Power Supply - Thermaltake TR-700 [Bought it on sale before I was told it sounds like an airplane.]
CPU - AMD FX-8350

Pretty pumped.
This should be a good machine.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:39 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Did some more random testing before I get my 7950. Found out that either Crysis 3 is horribly horribly optimized or it's just CPU bound. I'm thinking the former.

Stock clocks:
2013-02-06 17:52:32 - Crysis 3 MP Open Beta
Frames: 3670 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 61.167 - Min: 50 - Max: 67

Asus Auto OC 4.3Ghz:
2013-02-06 18:45:14 - Crysis 3 MP Open Beta
Frames: 4625 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 77.083 - Min: 71 - Max: 82

Quite a difference. I ran it 3 times to make sure, same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
So here's what I bought.

Video Card - Sapphire HD 7950

Pretty pumped.
This should be a good machine.
Indeed, but I wouldn't overclock on that power supply.

I see you upgraded to the Sapphire 7950 over the 7870. Did you get the same one I got?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814202006

Old
02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Quote:

Indeed, but I wouldn't overclock on that power supply.

I see you upgraded to the Sapphire 7950 over the 7870. Did you get the same one I got?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16814202006
Sure did!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Having a bit of computer problems. Woke up today to my computer that would turn on (pressed power and everything lot up, fans an lights), but the computer would not boot. Nothing appears on the screen at all.

I was able to get a charge to my iPhone (it was dead and it charged until it came back on but it wouldn't charge anymore than that).

I'm thinking it may be my mb and or CPU, however their only a year old (both of them)

Any tips or tricks that I can do at home to discover what's wrong/broken?

Old
02-07-2013, 12:58 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM View Post
Having a bit of computer problems. Woke up today to my computer that would turn on (pressed power and everything lot up, fans an lights), but the computer would not boot. Nothing appears on the screen at all.

I was able to get a charge to my iPhone (it was dead and it charged until it came back on but it wouldn't charge anymore than that).

I'm thinking it may be my mb and or CPU, however their only a year old (both of them)

Any tips or tricks that I can do at home to discover what's wrong/broken?
Frankly it could be a lot of things. Video card or power supply are two big possibilities.

If your motherboard has on board video try removing your video card and seeing if it will get video through that.

Check and see if your motherboard has a error code display LED on it, it might have an error code.

Does the system beep normally at start up? Is it still doing that?

Bad RAM could also cause lack of video. If you have more than one stick try using them one at a time and in different slots.

If none of those things do anything for you it's narrowed down to the PSU, CPU, or Motherboard. Pretty rare for a CPU to go bad unless you have been overclocking. So at that point try testing the power supply.
Manually:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...multimeter.htm
Device:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Old
02-07-2013, 07:51 AM
BeBen*

Physics are overrated

Old
02-07-2013, 01:20 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Frankly it could be a lot of things. Video card or power supply are two big possibilities.

If your motherboard has on board video try removing your video card and seeing if it will get video through that.

Check and see if your motherboard has a error code display LED on it, it might have an error code.

Does the system beep normally at start up? Is it still doing that?

Bad RAM could also cause lack of video. If you have more than one stick try using them one at a time and in different slots.

If none of those things do anything for you it's narrowed down to the PSU, CPU, or Motherboard. Pretty rare for a CPU to go bad unless you have been overclocking. So at that point try testing the power supply.
Manually:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...multimeter.htm
Device:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo
The system does not beep, but it does have the CPU led light is red, which means there is a problem with it, from what I have read at least.

Edit: I picked one of the Ram sticks by random, took it out and now my Computer works.

Computers are so complicated, yet so simple.

P.S thank you for the help.

Last edited by RobBrown4PM: 02-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 02:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
P.S thank you for the help.
Do you know what model the motherboard is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post

Physics are overrated
We have the same CPU, your scores are about right Though these things overclock like crazy. When I start to notice a problem with mine I'm gonna try and hit 4.5 GHZ.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

Quote:
Do you know what model the motherboard is?
Sabretooth 990fx

Old
02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Ryantology

Quote:
Sabretooth 990fx
Double check that the secondary 8pin power connector is seated properly.

Also try popping the CMOS battery and clearing with the jumper. CLRTC, should be at the opposite end of the CPU by the expansion slots.
ASUS boards like to have firmware issues these days.

Double check the board seating to make sure it's not shorting on something metal.

If you have a 4 pin PC speaker (might be one in your motherboard box) hook it up. See what comes out.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:02 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
im looking for a laptop under 500 for browsing, windows media player, youtube what should i look for

Old
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
SolidSnakeUS

You say WMP, but do you mean for music or for movies or for both? And if for movies, what resolution would you watch them at? And if movies, would you need a DVD player, Blu-Ray player or neither?

Old
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Zodiac

after seeing people with some nice 3dmark scores around the net, i was tempted to overclock the gtx680 a bit more (already has a bit of an overclock by default) and try 3dmark again, but ultimately i can't be bothered right now. saw a couple MSI Lightning GTX680 cards doing very well ...but again, i'm not in the mood to fiddle with overclocking right now ...even though its still kinda tempting.

but anyway, i saw a PC Gamer article today regarding the new 3DMark and found this kinda interesting. ...

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/06/3d...-rig-who-wins/

Quote:
The HD 7970 comes back with a score of 3,406 and the GTX 680 hits 3,013 on the Extreme settings of the 3DMark benchmark. On the standard settings the gap between the two top GPUs increases with the AMD card hitting 6,911 and the Nvidia card just 6,049.

I was speaking with Nvidia about this yesterday, and while they are more than happy to keep ensuring their drivers work perfectly with 3DMark to give Nvidia cards the best possible results, they still see it as less important than real-world game benchmarks.

Thatís perhaps not surprising given that AMDís HD 7970 gives the GTX 680 a good spanking in the overall results.

then this ...

Quote:
Whatís interesting about this version of 3DMark though is the amount of information it gives you afterwards and that makes better viewing for Nvidia than it does AMD.

The results graph is intriguing in that it shows a much larger, spikier variation in frame rate on the HD 7970 than it does on the GTX 680.

The Nvidia card is far smoother throughout the benchmark, and indicates that a GTX 680 will offer a more stable gaming experience even if it doesnít necessarily give the biggest average frame per second score at the end.

somewhat interesting, i guess ...but when it comes to benchmarking, it's typically the top scores that matter most.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:01 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
You say WMP, but do you mean for music or for movies or for both? And if for movies, what resolution would you watch them at? And if movies, would you need a DVD player, Blu-Ray player or neither?
it would be music, i dont use itunes. im not worried about a bluray drive since i got a ps3 and a stand alone panasonic blu ray as well

Old
02-07-2013, 05:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
it would be music, i dont use itunes. im not worried about a bluray drive since i got a ps3 and a stand alone panasonic blu ray as well
Honestly, I'd say something like a netbook would probably work.

I mean, if you wanted to go another route, you could get yourself a Nexus 10 32GB ($500) and just get a bluetooth keyboard possibly for it as well. It might do better. Maybe a second opinion?

Closed Thread