HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

So, can we take the hand of the panic button?

Old
02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Kenny's 20 game waiting period is killing this season.
Spoiler: Next season probably isn't going to be much better. Than we get to look forward to Datsyuk most probably packing off to Russia the season after that.

Don't worry, Nyquist should have a full 15 games of experience by then

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:10 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Kenny's 20 game waiting period is killing this season.
20 game waiting period?

More like 246 game waiting period.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:52 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
Spoiler: Next season probably isn't going to be much better. Than we get to look forward to Datsyuk most probably packing off to Russia the season after that.

Don't worry, Nyquist should have a full 15 games of experience by then
Sadly, if Classic Kenny shows up, this is the case. But it doesn't have to be this way.

- We don't have to re-sign Cleary.
- We can put the likes of Samuelsson and Bertuzzi on the block - even if only for future considerations - for playoff teams who want experienced veterans and/or, in Bertuzzi's case, size and (presumed) "physicality."
- We can bring up Tatar and Nyquist this season so they aren't so green for the NHL next season.
- We can ship out Quincey or Cola.
- We can trade mid-level picks for negotiating rights to impending UFAs.
- We can sign free agents.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Frk It
#Snipequist

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Sadly, if Classic Kenny shows up, this is the case. But it doesn't have to be this way.

- We can put the likes of Samuelsson and Bertuzzi on the block - even if only for future considerations - for playoff teams who want experienced veterans and/or, in Bertuzzi's case, size and (presumed) "physicality."
- We can bring up Tatar and Nyquist this season so they aren't so green for the NHL next season.
You mean to tell me there are alternatives, and Ken Holland actually doesn't HAVE to do everything he decides to do, and there are actually missed opportunities even by the mighty Red Wings?

People seem to be great at denying that on this board.

Frk It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Goalie guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

All of that sounds good BUT we know he will do the exact opposite of everything you just said and give them long term deals with a no trade clause too boot. I am thinking maybe they can use the walkers you see the little kids use at open skate? maybe then Cleary would not take holding calls so often.

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:43 PM
fimoknete

dont worry, we will book a win the next time for sure when we are facing a team what was playing the night before. then everything will turn into the right direction again.
we are still winning 2 of 3 games vs. tired teams. 75% winning raitio.

next one is nashville at the 23rd this month.

Last edited by fimoknete: 02-05-2013 at 11:48 PM.
fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post
dont worry, we will book a win the next time for sure when we are facing a team what was playing the night before. then everything will turn into the right direction again.

People who say we will still win a few games and make the playoffs are missing the bigger picture.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Robbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimoknete View Post

That's actually only 66%

The fact of the matter is yeah okay, we'll win a few games, possibly make the playoffs but then what?

Another first round elimination and then the cycle repeats itself next year because Holland doesn't really do anything to improve the team. Holland's almost on Tambellini levels of terribad.

Robbler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:19 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichterBromont View Post
That's actually only 66%

The fact of the matter is yeah okay, we'll win a few games, possibly make the playoffs but then what?

Another first round elimination and then the cycle repeats itself next year because Holland doesn't really do anything to improve the team. Holland's almost on Tambellini levels of terribad.
Who cares, The Wings made the playoffs in 1994.

Old
02-06-2013, 03:44 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Who cares, The Wings made the playoffs in 1994.
I still think we can squeek into the playoffs this year. It's the post Datsyuk and 35 year old Zetterberg era I'm worried about

Old
02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
braille

is meech playing anywhere? we'll need a top 4 defenseman next year

braille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
I still think we can squeek into the playoffs this year. It's the post Datsyuk and 35 year old Zetterberg era I'm worried about
I have always felt this team was a 6-8th seed if healthy. Unfortunately, a completely healthy Wings team wont beat Chicago, SJ or any team in the top four in the Western Conference in the playoffs. How Ken Holland can sign players like Sammy on a non contending team is beyond insane.

This team does not have enough talent to compete. It's why i am such a big proponent of letting the youngsters play. They might have potential, but we will never know if they dont get any ice time in the NHL.

The entire bottom six could be waived and replaced with random FA's, and you would not see a decline in production or performance. Justin Abdelkader is awful and couldn't score on an empty net. The bottom six has nobody that can produce when the top six is getting shut down. (See Nashville series and last two SJ years against SJ) The Wings have had fake depth for the past few years. It never shows up when it matters. I love Darren Helm, but he is seriously overrated. The only reason he looks so good is because the people he plays with are total garbage. The Wings used to be a team that could legitimately roll four lines. Today, you are lucky if the Wings have two good lines on any given night.

Jimmy Howard is a good goaltender with random flashes of greatness. He isnt capable of carrying this team with the defense in front of him. He is exactly the type of goaltender the Wings could win a cup with if he was playing on a 2007-2008 Wings team. Unfortunately those days are over. If the Wings want to win with this current team, they need Dominek Hasek in his absolute prime stopping pucks.

What worries me is next year Nyquist will finally get his shot and he will already be a year behind, and Z/Datsyuk will be a year older. Ken Holland is squandering the last few good years of Z and Datsyuk's careers by not allowing players like Nyquist to learn from them. This will negatively effect the next wave of prospects too. "Trickle down failure"

Signing Sammy, giving Bert a contract extension, and allowing Cleary to enter Joe Louis Arena is sucking the life out of this team. I am fully expecting Cleary to get a contract extension. Holland has become the GM that holds onto his players for one contract too long. He likes to take care of his worthless vets as if that means anything anymore in today's NHL.

The defense is definitely in the bottom third of defenses in the NHL even if the Wings had a completely healthy defense.

TLDR

Start planning for the future instead of holding onto a team that has no hope of winning anything.

How Holland can ignore such stark decline is incredible. A simple graph will show you how steep the decline has been since 2009.

2008 - Cup
2009 - Cup Finals
2010 - Second round
2011 - Second round
2012 - First round
2013 - TBD

Old
02-06-2013, 07:26 PM
fimoknete

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post

How Holland can ignore such stark decline is incredible. A simple graph will show you how steep the decline has been since 2009.

2008 - Cup
2009 - Cup Finals
2010 - Second round
2011 - Second round
2012 - First round
2013 - TBD
lol, i posted the same in 2011 already. back then everybody was hating to read it and trying to convince me the wings will be a contender the next 15 years because of the amazing prospect pool.

i still think the prospect pool is overrated. but its just me.

lets just pretend they are amazing. they would have to beat the ovi, crosby, tarasenko, tavares like superstar player to win a cup in the next 10 years again. if they cant do it they are 33 years old as well.
i guess our prospect pool cant compete with the best young players like edmonton in the future when datsyuk and zetta are gone or old and slow.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:18 AM
SortaExtremist

The problem is that the Wings have 2 forth lines. The 2nd PP line can't setup in the offensive zone if their life depended on it. Besides helm, I don't see anyone doing anything. Without Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's goals and assists, Detroit would have almost no goals the whole season. Too many 4th liners on this team. That is my opinion.

SortaExtremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaExtremist View Post
The problem is that the Wings have 2 forth lines. The 2nd PP line can't setup in the offensive zone if their life depended on it. Besides helm, I don't see anyone doing anything. Without Datsyuk's and Zetterberg's goals and assists, Detroit would have almost no goals the whole season. Too many 4th liners on this team. That is my opinion.
Yeah, that's exactly what it is.

Our third line supposed to be:

Cleary (healthy, but not recovered like expected after knee surgery)
Helm (injured)
Samuelsson (injured)

There's no 3rd line at the moment.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
Flowah
I choose to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what it is.

Our third line supposed to be:

Cleary (healthy, but not recovered like expected after knee surgery)
Helm (injured)
Samuelsson (injured)

There's no 3rd line at the moment.
Helm + Tootoo/Miller/Tatar/Nyquist/Bert/Eaves

Make a combo of three out of that and it is a perfectly serviceable, I'd even say "good" third line. Without Cleary and Sammy. I'd prefer without Cleary and Sammy actually.

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote