HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best African-American/Canadian Player(s) of All-Time

Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Claude Vilgrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I know Claude Vilgrain was an afro-american player in New Jersey. Why he fell off the cliff so quick?
His only full season was statisticaly no dissapointment (46 points in 76 games) and put up good numbers in Canadian National Team (I know the circumstances).
Haitian born Claude Vilgrain was a hockey overachiever. Took the Canadian University route after junior, honest workman like player throughout his career. Similar to Mathieu Darche. Once an NHL team's talent level rose, Claude Vilgrain's role would diminish.

Reggie Savage was a 1st round choice 15th, overall. In midget and junior was surrounded by talent and solid coaching/management but at the age of 18 he was about as good as he was going to be. Honest effort, good attributes, etc but similar to Christian Dube, not quite NHL.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Fidel Astro

It's weird how many of the guys mentioned here (and some who haven't been mentioned yet) have Winnipeg connections.

Byfuglien and Kane are Jets.

Neufeld is from Manitoba was a Jet (and now does radio for the Jets 2.0)

Salvador is from Manitoba.

Reaves is from Winnipeg.

Braithwaite played for the Moose back in the day.

Oduya played for the Jets (although he's not North American)

Dawes is from Winnipeg.

McArdle played for the Jets.

Paul Jerrard (who played one season for the North Stars) is from Winnipeg.

...but my personal favourite black player (a Jets goalie) hasn't been mentioned yet:

Eldon "Pokey" Reddick

Last edited by Fidel Astro: 02-06-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added more
Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
40 goals in the 80s would be around 32-35 today. Also he said that he was a decent player. Wouldnt you call a guy scoring 30 goals today, a decent player? Basically everyone who scored more or equal amount of goals as him in '88 are in the hof. I'd call that decent.
Yeah i guess i was both wrong and right throwing it from the hip there. Point was that McKegney supposedly was "not too shabby" in relation to Fuhr and Iginla becouse of those 36-40 goals. But i'm with you.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Alpine

And coming up the Subbans and Ho Sang
Although they may claim Jamican descent
Canada has changed. We may just call them Canadian without a hyphen

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Darth Yoda

I did an "Oh brothers, where are thou" team a couple of years back using active players only. I remember being forced to use players out of position to make it work, with Byfuglien having a great part in that. Maybe we can try an all time team here? I am inclined to think an active team can be done more easily today but i am also eagerly hopeful to see if someone took this challenge to heart becouse i'm off to my fathers place shortly.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-06-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Oh, that english language...
Old
02-06-2013, 10:36 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I believe he allready had the passport and Team Germany noticed it before the 1996 World Cup. Cant really remember his first reaction though.
He's never had any other citizenship than German.

Also you don't need to be a citizen of the country you wish to represent at the World Cup anyway.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
He's never had any other citizenship than German.

Also you don't need to be a citizen of the country you wish to represent at the World Cup anyway.
Perhaps but i think that was the story.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Fidel Astro

Quote:
Maybe we can try an all time team here?
Not a lot of black centres. We'd have to move the forwards around a bit.

Personally, I'd go like this:

G- Fuhr

D- Byfuglien
D- Subban

F- Iginla
F- Graham
F-Kane

Fidel Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
I believe he allready had the passport and Team Germany noticed it before the 1996 World Cup. Cant really remember his first reaction though.
No he got a German passport to play for Team Germany. Even though he had lived in Canada for a long time, he didn't apply for a passport or citizenship there. He is quoted as saying he got the passport because he wouldn't have as much competition as he would trying for Team Canada.

His parents are German so according to German law he had enough German blood in him for a passport.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
I know Claude Vilgrain was an afro-american player in New Jersey. Why he fell off the cliff so quick?
His only full season was statisticaly no dissapointment (46 points in 76 games) and put up good numbers in Canadian National Team (I know the circumstances).
Still waiting for you to tell me how BGL is better than that list I gave you.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
No he got a German passport to play for Team Germany. Even though he had lived in Canada for a long time, he didn't apply for a passport or citizenship there. He is quoted as saying he got the passport because he wouldn't have as much competition as he would trying for Team Canada.

His parents are German so according to German law he had enough German blood in him for a passport.
He was a German citizen since birth so he didn't need to apply. "Blood" is irrelevant here.

Old
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
He even won a Selke to go to his credit.
I knew that much. In fact, I thought Graham was a fine player in his day.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:11 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
He was a German citizen since birth so he didn't need to apply. "Blood" is irrelevant here.
Quote:
A native of Johannesburg, South Africa, Olaf Kolzig was raised in Canada, but the fact that he has never applied for Canadian citizenship works to his advantage. Instead, the 6-foot 3-inch, 225-pound goalie holds a German passport, both parents are German which qualifies him to play for that country's national team in international competition. Kolzig also says the German passport will make it easier for him to play in Europe when his NHL career is over.
It does matter.

Old
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
jekoh

Quote:
It does matter.
No, at that point it did not. Kölzig was always a German citizen and as such was obviously entitled to a German passport without having to fill any further criteria regarding "blood". He didn't have to apply for a German passport any more than Crosby had to apply for a Canadian passport.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
And coming up the Subbans and Ho Sang
Although they may claim Jamican descent
Canada has changed. We may just call them Canadian without a hyphen
I think there is some other guy/guys in the coming draft too, not meaning Jones.

Edit: Darnell Nurse, Madison Bowey, Anthony Duclair, perhaps Justin Bailey. Seems like a good crop, all time best AINEC. O'Ree has done a good job posting.

Last edited by Darth Yoda: 02-06-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 06:09 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Still waiting for you to tell me how BGL is better than that list I gave you.
What?

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
It is relevant in so far as he was a German citizen since birth BECAUSE his parent were German citizens.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:07 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
It is relevant in so far as he was a German citizen since birth BECAUSE his parent were German citizens.
Sure but the poster made it sound like his status was determined when he got a passport as a 25-year-old. At that point it did not matter how he got his citizenship and getting his passport was a simple formality, very much like Sturm or Crosby or Koivu getting theirs. I don't think anyone would say Crosby "took a Canadian passport", as if he had another one before.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Sure but the poster made it sound like his status was determined when he got a passport as a 25-year-old. At that point it did not matter how he got his citizenship and getting his passport was a simple formality, very much like Sturm or Crosby or Koivu getting theirs. I don't think anyone would say Crosby "took a Canadian passport", as if he had another one before.
Because he did. He had a choice between a South African, Netherlands, German or Canadian passport. He could have picked anyone of those, he choose German.

Little fact, South African is not an old German settlement , it was a Dutch colony. Kolzig never lived in Germany, he lived in SA, Netherlands and Canada. So,tell me how did he get his German passport, knowing all that info? HE choose Germany. It's all right there my friend, the internet is your friend. He is even quoted as saying he choose German because he wouldn't have to compete for a starting job.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:34 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Because he did. He had a choice between a South African, Netherlands, German or Canadian passport. He could have picked anyone of those, he choose German.

Little fact, South African is not an old German settlement , it was a Dutch colony. Kolzig never lived in Germany, he lived in SA, Netherlands and Canada. So,tell me how did he get his German passport, knowing all that info? HE choose Germany. It's all right there my friend, the internet is your friend. He is even quoted as saying he choose German because he wouldn't have to compete for a starting job.
He got a German passport because he was a German citizen from birth as his parents were German. You don't become a citizen upon applying for a passport otherwise 80% of Americans would be ineligible to vote.

Furthermore I strongly doubt that he was eligible for Dutch or South African citizenship as the citizenship laws of these countries are very restrictive. Just being born or living there for a bit doesn't entitle you to a passport.

The key part is Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship very often, so by applying for naturalization as a Canadian citizen he would have lost his German citizenship.

Also, dude, you're from Southie. Telling Germans about their own nationality law is pretty arrogant.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:49 PM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
He got a German passport because he was a German citizen from birth as his parents were German. You don't become a citizen upon applying for a passport otherwise 80% of Americans would be ineligible to vote.

Furthermore I strongly doubt that he was eligible for Dutch or South African citizenship as the citizenship laws of these countries are very restrictive. Just being born or living there for a bit doesn't entitle you to a passport.

The key part is Germany doesn't allow dual citizenship very often, so by applying for naturalization as a Canadian citizen he would have lost his German citizenship.

Also, dude, you're from Southie. Telling Germans about their own nationality law is pretty arrogant.
Ummm I'm from South Weymouth clearly my avatar picture points to that, pretty ignorant telling people where they are from. My mother was from Southie...did you know her?

But to the point.

I'm just telling you what I read on the issue and from what I remember. Guess what the SCOTUS decided a long time ago, if you are born in the US, regardless of what you're parents are from, you are or eligible for US citizenship. So, it's possible.

Here's the SA guidelines to birth place. He could very well have chosen SA as his birth nation. It's clearly stated right here:

http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...itizenship.htm

His parents were not military but hotel service workers that moved around alot. So he doesn't fall under military parents status either.

Kolzig had a choice, maybe Holland is stretching it but they moved to Holland right after SA, couple that with SA being an old Dutch colony, I assumed he would have that right.

He has been quoted as saying he choose Germany because he wouldn't have to complete. That implies, he could have applied for Canadian citizenship and also have tried out for Team CND.

PSSST do some more research on passports, I am eligible for an Irish passport w/o losing my US one.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:12 PM
barnztormre
WhY sO SeRiOuS?

Quote:
What?

BGL = Big Georges Laracque.

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 01:50 AM
begbeee

I wrote that in the previous post, no need to repeat. Laraque was the best player in his role during good bunch of seasons..that means something. Definitely should be TOP 5 player.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:16 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
I'm just telling you what I read on the issue and from what I remember. Guess what the SCOTUS decided a long time ago, if you are born in the US, regardless of what you're parents are from, you are or eligible for US citizenship. So, it's possible.
You're aware that the SCOTUS is not the world court and other countries have different laws?

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 07:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
What players of African decent would you say are the best of all-time?

Who's the best of the best?
Grant Fuhr

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote