HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News around the NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 03:42 PM
  #276
Nzap
BaltoBaltoBaltoBalto
 
Nzap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Middle of Noux
Country: Finland
Posts: 5,512
vCash: 50
Parenteau scored with a beauty-deflection for his 6th of the season.

I thought he was more of a passer? Maybe he just is getting a bit lucky?

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:21 PM
  #277
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Now instead they'll be angry.

I always prefer teams to win their first game of a back to back if we are facing them the second game.
They've given up 10 goals in their last 2 games. Brodeur started both games.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
  #278
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Did anyone see the highlights to OTT vs. MON?

In the 3rd, the Sens scored a goal to tie it up. The goal was waved off for goalie interference. On the replay, not only did the Sens player Silfverberg NOT physically interfere with the goalie, but he wasn't even near the blue crease area. He was a good 2 feet away.

Price had come out of his box to cut the angle.

Jeez Louise, that's just AWFUL. Absolutely awful.

The ref decided the doggone thing right there.

Montreal ended up winning 2-1.

I don't know how these things are being handled at the league office, but I hope there are constant memos going through and the pressure is on to stop making iffy third period calls that have a huge outcome on a game.

Between that and the Strait penalty late last night, two very tight games were altered by incorrect and unnecessary calls.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:54 PM
  #279
PWJunior
That's what we do.
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,299
vCash: 500
Looks like the Rangers are trading Rupp to Minny for Darroll Powe.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: NYR have traded Mike Rupp to MIN.

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib

Multiple sources say the #mnwild has traded Darroll Powe to the #nyrangers; One source says for Michael Rupp, but I haven't confirmed

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:09 PM
  #280
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 50
Quote:
#NYR Rangers trade veteran forward Mike Rupp to Minnesota in exchange for Darroll Powe and Nick Palmieri
Good move for the Rangers.

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...07522912960512

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:28 PM
  #281
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Damn Sather.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:54 PM
  #282
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Damn Sather.
Damn Sather?? Its a lateral move trade of bottom 6 players and a career AHL player.

Saves NYR $500k.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
  #283
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Damn Sather?? Its a lateral move trade of bottom 6 players and a career AHL player.

Saves NYR $500k.
Powe is pretty good on the power play and for a team that's ranked 29th any help is welcome. Rupp was pretty much useless for them anyway its a small trade but a win for both clubs.

Powe also was second in the league in blocked shots with 91 so he'd fit in well with their team.


Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 02-04-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:24 PM
  #284
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Deer Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Damn Sather?? Its a lateral move trade of bottom 6 players and a career AHL player.

Saves NYR $500k.
I think Palmeri still has some potential to be a really good bottom 6 player. Powe is pretty serviceable as well. Rupp was an Islander killer though so I'm glad we don't have to face him this year!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:55 PM
  #285
LeapOnOver
Registered User
 
LeapOnOver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iskan, S. Korea
Country: South Korea
Posts: 3,654
vCash: 500
PAP with his 7th of the season on the PP....what were we on the powerplay against the Devils?

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
  #286
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
PAP with his 7th of the season on the PP....what were we on the powerplay against the Devils?
It is of course a bit bitter and for several reasons... (warning: opening a can of worms here).

Naturally, it's bitter because PAP is producing elsewhere while JT is running around with a doable but limited LW and what is currently a shell of a player on RW.

It's also bitter seeing as how PAP was essentially lost for nothing in another season sans playoffs. In a situation where it could be plainly seen to many fans and anybody who has been in the business for a while that if he wasn't resigned before the trade deadline, the only logical and healthy asset management move would have been to deal him. He would have been a good fit on several playoff teams and would likely have brought back decent picks, if not a warm body, and more likely, a mixture of the two. Instead, he gave us another 15 some points over 20 some games and a few goodbyes in yet another playoff-less year (even missed the last few games of the season).

Then of course we have to look at how, for a team that clearly needed upgrading, the loss of PAP in exchange for the signing of Boyes (with the expectation of more from Okposo) was a lateral move AT BEST. Management did not take steps to improve or bring in anyone who could be seen as a probable replacer of PAP's 65 points.

Lastly, he had played with Tavares and Moulson for the bulk of two seasons and had a chemistry that is not developed overnight. To invest that time in something and then walk away empty-handed is, well, I digress...

All this said, it is understandable that Snow felt Okposo's late season goal-scoring run along with the Islanders' ability to successfully give players coming out of the AHL or who need a change of scenary and new life a fresh start (i.e. Boyes - whose signing surely came at the behest of Weight, amongst other things) and thus, also looking at the prospect pool, PAP's desire to have years and a good payday in his one big shot at such in free agency just was too expensive and year-consuming to meet. He was out of the realistic ballpark for Islanderville, even if we as fans might have been A OK with 4 million per over 4 years. It's not like there wasn't room for that in the budget...

As such, the error here isn't necessarily in not resigning PAP or even in hoping that Okposo or Boyes could replace Parenteau's points/role on the team, but rather in Snow not trading his best trading chip in a year where:
A) it was safe to say even heading into the deadline that the Isles would not make the playoffs and if they somehow did, wouldn't be getting past round 1 (and that little losing streak heading RIGHT UP TO THE TRADE DEADLINE should have been the bell loudly triggering the trade finger).
B) it could easily be calculated that PAP would not be resigning under any circumstances without first testing the free agent market.
C) it was clear that this would likely be PAP's one big shot at an overpayment on the UFA market, and his agent certainly wasn't going to advise him to do anything until they thoroughly saw what everyone else was willing to offer.
D) it surely had to be assumed or known by Snow, that PAP was searching not only for $$$s, but also years, which alone in light of the prospect pool, should have had Snow in a state-of-mind that there would be no logical reason to feel like he could or would want to resign PAP.

I know this an old topic now, but in my 25 years of following the NHL, I've actually witnessed few cases where the trading of a certain asset at a trade deadline was a more logically obvious and necessary move for a team than moving PAP would have been.

Some have mentioned in the past that you have to take the 'showing of loyalty' or whatever into consideration, but this is an ice-cold business and every logical indication is and was that PAP's time as an Islander was going to end the minute he hit the UFA market. This not only was not made optimal use of, it was made NO USE OF whatsoever.

To top it all off now, it's very bitter to watch him thrive elsewhere, because we know that many fans, even here at these boards, felt he was more or less just a product of Tavares than anything else when the truth is, he's simply a technically skilled but not infallible complementary player for skill players in general.

In fact, the 'hockey fan' in me would have loved to see him in Pittsburgh. I can only imagine what he could do on the PP with THAT group of players.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:55 AM
  #287
original islander
Registered User
 
original islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
It is of course a bit bitter and for several reasons... (warning: opening a can of worms here).

Naturally, it's bitter because PAP is producing elsewhere while JT is running around with a doable but limited LW and what is currently a shell of a player on RW.

It's also bitter seeing as how PAP was essentially lost for nothing in another season sans playoffs. In a situation where it could be plainly seen to many fans and anybody who has been in the business for a while that if he wasn't resigned before the trade deadline, the only logical and healthy asset management move would have been to deal him. He would have been a good fit on several playoff teams and would likely have brought back decent picks, if not a warm body, and more likely, a mixture of the two. Instead, he gave us another 15 some points over 20 some games and a few goodbyes in yet another playoff-less year (even missed the last few games of the season).

Then of course we have to look at how, for a team that clearly needed upgrading, the loss of PAP in exchange for the signing of Boyes (with the expectation of more from Okposo) was a lateral move AT BEST. Management did not take steps to improve or bring in anyone who could be seen as a probable replacer of PAP's 65 points.

Lastly, he had played with Tavares and Moulson for the bulk of two seasons and had a chemistry that is not developed overnight. To invest that time in something and then walk away empty-handed is, well, I digress...

All this said, it is understandable that Snow felt Okposo's late season goal-scoring run along with the Islanders' ability to successfully give players coming out of the AHL or who need a change of scenary and new life a fresh start (i.e. Boyes - whose signing surely came at the behest of Weight, amongst other things) and thus, also looking at the prospect pool, PAP's desire to have years and a good payday in his one big shot at such in free agency just was too expensive and year-consuming to meet. He was out of the realistic ballpark for Islanderville, even if we as fans might have been A OK with 4 million per over 4 years. It's not like there wasn't room for that in the budget...

As such, the error here isn't necessarily in not resigning PAP or even in hoping that Okposo or Boyes could replace Parenteau's points/role on the team, but rather in Snow not trading his best trading chip in a year where:
A) it was safe to say even heading into the deadline that the Isles would not make the playoffs and if they somehow did, wouldn't be getting past round 1 (and that little losing streak heading RIGHT UP TO THE TRADE DEADLINE should have been the bell loudly triggering the trade finger).
B) it could easily be calculated that PAP would not be resigning under any circumstances without first testing the free agent market.
C) it was clear that this would likely be PAP's one big shot at an overpayment on the UFA market, and his agent certainly wasn't going to advise him to do anything until they thoroughly saw what everyone else was willing to offer.
D) it surely had to be assumed or known by Snow, that PAP was searching not only for $$$s, but also years, which alone in light of the prospect pool, should have had Snow in a state-of-mind that there would be no logical reason to feel like he could or would want to resign PAP.

I know this an old topic now, but in my 25 years of following the NHL, I've actually witnessed few cases where the trading of a certain asset at a trade deadline was a more logically obvious and necessary move for a team than moving PAP would have been.

Some have mentioned in the past that you have to take the 'showing of loyalty' or whatever into consideration, but this is an ice-cold business and every logical indication is and was that PAP's time as an Islander was going to end the minute he hit the UFA market. This not only was not made optimal use of, it was made NO USE OF whatsoever.

To top it all off now, it's very bitter to watch him thrive elsewhere, because we know that many fans, even here at these boards, felt he was more or less just a product of Tavares than anything else when the truth is, he's simply a technically skilled but not infallible complementary player for skill players in general.

In fact, the 'hockey fan' in me would have loved to see him in Pittsburgh. I can only imagine what he could do on the PP with THAT group of players.
I agree with you on every point. If you throw in the concept that eventually Ryan Strome may be the first line RW with Boyes as a one year placeholder the knowledge that PA had to go was there. Garth has some very strong points but his asset management skills are mediocre.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:39 AM
  #288
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I agree with you on every point. If you throw in the concept that eventually Ryan Strome may be the first line RW with Boyes as a one year placeholder the knowledge that PA had to go was there. Garth has some very strong points but his asset management skills are mediocre.
True, I didn't even think about that.

It will be interesting to see what they decide for Strome, especially in the first season. It's most often then when young skill-based centers of future importance are worked in slowly on the wing so as to minimize the responsibility (i.e. see Crosby, Seguin, etc.).

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
  #289
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Blue Jackets demoted Johanson to the AHL.



http://m.nbcsports.com/content/colum...r-johansen-ahl

#CBJ coach Todd Richards said Ryan Johansen‘s game peaked in Colorado and has gone downhill sense, despite meetings with coaches.

— Aaron Portzline (@Aportzline) February 6, 2013

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:11 PM
  #290
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,855
vCash: 50
Winnipeg also sent down one of their top young guys:

Quote:
WPG returns Mark Scheifele to Barrie of the OHL.
And results from Dubinsky's disciplinary hearing is in:

Quote:
CBJ's Brandon Dubinsky fined the new maximum of $10,000 for boarding LAK defenceman Rob Scuderi.
In case you missed it here's the video of it:



https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...47674283151361
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...11194655465473

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:23 PM
  #291
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
That makes
RNH
Landeskog (albeit injured)
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Coutruier
Hamilton all sticking with their big clubs from the '11 draft class.

Strome and Scheifele are the only ones sandwiched between those picks that didn't stick. Heck, Strome has not even touched the ice in an Islanders' sweater (outside of the scrimmages)...

On that note, that Dubinsky hit was bad, but not nearly as bad as I expected for the fine that was dished out.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:29 PM
  #292
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
That makes
RNH
Landeskog (albeit injured)
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Coutruier
Hamilton all sticking with their big clubs from the '11 draft class.

Strome and Scheifele are the only ones sandwiched between those picks that didn't stick. Heck, Strome has not even touched the ice in an Islanders' sweater (outside of the scrimmages)...

On that note, that Dubinsky hit was bad, but not nearly as bad as I expected for the fine that was dished out.
Larsson's played 4 games so far this season. He's been a healthy scratch the other 5 games. His coach doesn't have much confidence in him.
I think I'd rather have my lottery pick playing 20+ mins a night in the AHL, then a healthy scratch in more then half the games.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
  #293
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Larsson's played 4 games so far this season. He's been a healthy scratch the other 5 games. His coach doesn't have much confidence in him.
I think I'd rather have my lottery pick playing 20+ mins a night in the AHL, then a healthy scratch in more then half the games.
Yeah, but to be fair Larsson played in a majority of their games last year.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
  #294
MTK
Registered User
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: West Islip
Country: Iceland
Posts: 2,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
That makes
RNH
Landeskog (albeit injured)
Huberdeau
Larsson
Zibanejad
Coutruier
Hamilton all sticking with their big clubs from the '11 draft class.

Strome and Scheifele are the only ones sandwiched between those picks that didn't stick. Heck, Strome has not even touched the ice in an Islanders' sweater (outside of the scrimmages)...

On that note, that Dubinsky hit was bad, but not nearly as bad as I expected for the fine that was dished out.
In my opinion that is a very good thing for Strome not to have dressed. I am glad we have not thrown him to the wolves.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:00 PM
  #295
coachdny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
Devils.. made a trade
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415388

coachdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
  #296
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachdny View Post
Nice trade for NJ. They get a small, skilled center who was blocked on a deep Kings team for only a 5th.

Only drawback is, that because of his size and lack of physical play, it's top 6 or nothing.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
  #297
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw
 
JerseyGuy276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A Flood Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 9,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Larsson's played 4 games so far this season. He's been a healthy scratch the other 5 games. His coach doesn't have much confidence in him.
I think I'd rather have my lottery pick playing 20+ mins a night in the AHL, then a healthy scratch in more then half the games.
Actually, aside from a few hiccups, once again Larsson has been great for us. He was scratched because we needed to show off some defenseman to trade ^_^. DeBoer has plenty of confidence in him.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:33 AM
  #298
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGuy276 View Post
Actually, aside from a few hiccups, once again Larsson has been great for us. He was scratched because we needed to show off some defenseman to trade ^_^. DeBoer has plenty of confidence in him.
5 healthy scratched games in the first 9 games played, is showing plenty of confidence?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
  #299
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 55
Leafs gm is saying he's not shopping Kessel, but that he is listening to offers for him.

Kessel has a limited NTC kick in next season and is a ufa in July 2014. So, if the Leafs are gonna move him and not have him limit the numbr of teams involved, they will need to do it before that NTC kicks in.

Leafs are reportedly insisting on, a good top 4 d-man or top 6 forward + a high draft pick.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:51 AM
  #300
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Leafs gm is saying he's not shopping Kessel, but that he is listening to offers for him.

Kessel has a limited NTC kick in next season and is a ufa in July 2014. So, if the Leafs are gonna move him and not have him limit the numbr of teams involved, they will need to do it before that NTC kicks in.

Leafs are reportedly insisting on, a good top 4 d-man or top 6 forward + a high draft pick.
sometimes I think Kessel would be a good fit on the Islanders, but not at that price, especially when you add what he might want in $alary.

Kessel's a great offensive player albeit limited in other ways. But his speed, shot, ability to generate offense on his own is very impressive. I worry about how many one-dimensional players, offense only, a team can have though - Boyes, Moulson.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.