HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Lose 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 07:40 AM
habtastic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
That breakaway by Plex tonight was the worst I've seen since that horrible shootout attempt by Minnesota a few years back.
Was at the game and pretty close to where ^ that occurred. Oh...my...god... I know Pleks is a passer, but in that situation...yeah, maybe don't pass to nobody.

He's my favourite player, but that was by far the WORST breakaway "attempt" I have ever seen.

It's very strange reading all these posts about Rask after being at the game since me and my buddy thought he didn't do anything. We were so confused about him getting the 1st star since we don't remember him making any saves. We DO remember everyone missing the net/shooting right into Rask (Eller breakaway). Chuckie needs to work on a lot of things, board play and even being remotely physical to get the puck are some. He also didn't even look at the net when he wristed it. I realize he's young and I'm not putting pressure on him, but this is where I see the difference between Gallagher and him. (Gallagher's top corner wrist shot was a targeted laser and he aimed that baby.) I assume it's just the speed of the NHL, but hopefully tonight he has a great game.

DD sucked hard. I blame him entirely for ruining my trip by not scoring that tip in. Not even getting it on net. I don't know how he bent the laws of physics to make that happen. BTW, I like DD. He just totally f'd that up and sucked the whole game. Faceoffs were abysmal. I remember Cole taking one at one point to see if he was any better. He wasn't. (And I don't think it was against Bergeron.)

I actually think Eller was our best forward. Well, him and Prust.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Andy

The difference was coaching. Julien wasn't afraid to move Horton off the top line. Cole Desharnais and Pacioretty should be split up and Prust should fall back to the 4th line.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Didn't find this to be the most entertaining Bos-Mtl game.
Always frustrating to lose a game in the 3rd period.
But we're to blame, we could have blown the Bruins out in the first period alone.
I think we had more shots in the 1st period alone than the next two combined, unacceptable.
I also didn't like the fact Markov-PK, Eller on kids line, was only put together in dying minutes. We should have done that right after they got the leading goal.
I would like Max and Cole to play on different lines, with Eller getting better wingers. Eller has been dominating these past few games, time to see if Therrien is true to his words about compensating the players that deserve it.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
I don't get Moen as a player. He's not talented enough to play on the top lines, not a good enough fighter to be an enforcer, doesn't use his size nearly enough & lacks the skating ability to qualify as a energy player.

I am completely befuddled.
That's why I call him Travis Moyen.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Sam I Am

Boston has a seasoned defense, wonderful centermen, bruising wingers who can score and one of the most talented young goalies around. Like it or not, the Bruins are one of the best teams in the league.

The Habs clearly outplayed them last night. Why this game should elicit an outpouring of angst (eg: bench Moen, bench Armstrong, take apart all the lines...) is beyond me.

You can't win 'em all.

Last edited by Sam I Am: 02-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 08:58 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Habs clearly outplayed the Bruins who are, like it or not, one of the best teams in the league. Boston has a seasoned defense, wonderful centermen, bruising wingers who can score and one of the best young goalies around.

Why this game should elicit an outpouring of angst (eg: bench Moen, bench Armstrong, take apart all the lines...) is beyond me. You can't win 'em all.
Really?

It is REALLY "beyond you"? I give you 3 tries.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:59 AM
la25ecoupe

Was a good game we couldve won if more lucky

Old
02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Armstrong was good in the first 2-3 games but now he's pretty useless. Even on the PK we have Plek, Prust, Gionta, Moen etc.

Moen is just bad right now.

That was a stupid penalty by Subban but I hope they don't bench him for something like that we need him.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

My apologies to those I offended last night with drunken poopposting. I'm paying for it today with a hangover and 3 hours of sleep.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Patccmoi

Well I'm in the "can't win them all" bandwagon.

Habs played good enough to win, but didn't bury their chances, and Boston IS one of the top teams in the league with an amazing goalie right now. The fact that we can compete with them head on (not outplay them I would say, we did in the first but they outplayed us in the 2nd and first half of the third, so imo game was pretty much 50-50) is actually a good sign for the Habs, but we won't win them all.

Whenever there's a game like that I'm mostly annoyed at Toronto though. Really, you gave them Hamilton, Seguin and Rask and basically only got Kessel in return? That's how Boston went from a 'good' team to a very good team.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
The difference was coaching. Julien wasn't afraid to move Horton off the top line. Cole Desharnais and Pacioretty should be split up and Prust should fall back to the 4th line.
The DD line had a ton of chances, it's not like they didn't play well, just had no finish.
The Galchenyuk line was by far our worst.

Therrien has shown he is not afraid to move players and give ice time to whoever is playing well, so your comment is baseless IMHO.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
How many of those games did we lose? Thanks for proving my point

And

Nice try
4-6 (which isn't even that bad considering Boston is one of the best teams in the league and we were one of the worst).. oh right, I forgot wins and losses are purely down to him though.

But since you said never, you were proven wrong. Nice try, fella.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Undertakerqc

What a surprise!! Plekanec has the worst +/- on the team with a -3....

Old
02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The DD line had a ton of chances, it's not like they didn't play well, just had no finish.
The Galchenyuk line was by far our worst.

Therrien has shown he is not afraid to move players and give ice time to whoever is playing well, so your comment is baseless IMHO.
No it was Plekanec's line that was the worst. They were on for the 2 Bruins goals.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
The Habs looked scared tonight.
Absolutely not!
1. Rehash old catch-phrase
2. Apply to every loss to fit agenda
3. ...?
4. Profiteroles.

Habs were awesome last night. Loved the game. Just a case of a game we should've won, but lost. Tough luck make them rookies grow, watch out tonight!

Old
02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Was at the game and pretty close to where ^ that occurred. Oh...my...god... I know Pleks is a passer, but in that situation...yeah, maybe don't pass to nobody.

He's my favourite player, but that was by far the WORST breakaway "attempt" I have ever seen.
Give me a break guys, the puck rolled off his stick. It can happen to anyone. Just bad luck.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
No it was Plekanec's line that was the worst. They were on for the 2 Bruins goals.
Loll you are too funny.
The Plekanec line did very well. Two costly mistakes=/=bad game.
You do realize you can score 2goals and play Like crap as much as you can be on for two goals and still have a good game.
But any chance you have to dump on Plek, you go for it. Can't say I'm surprised.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
What a surprise!! Plekanec has the worst +/- on the team with a -3....
... while playing against other team's top lines.

Oh what a surprise he also has the most points out of all our forwards too.

Plekanec was easily our best forward the first 8 games of the year but he had a bad game yesterday so we should trade him and play Desharnais even more

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Tim Wallach

People (especially analysts) always like to boil it down to one or two people's fault. But in reality, it's a complexity of reasons a team loses. Last night, for me, far and away the biggest factor was our ineptitude on the draws. Boston controlled the puck off the faceoff all night. Montreal needs to fix that or they'll continue to be at a major disadvantage every time they meet. I equate it to starting the game down 1-0.

I also would have liked to see a few more in-game adjustments. I'm all for consistency on lines, but Prust was clearly ineffective with the puck last night and Eller should have moved to that line with the kids.

As hard as Gionta works, I also found him completely ineffective. Constantly turning the wrong way, hesitating around lose puck battles, etc. And if I'm Plekanec, I turn to him and say: "Brian, I know you're a shooter, but you know what also works every now and then? A pass." Gio always opts for the shot when he has a guy busting to the net.

I could go on, but these were some of the subtleties that cost us last night.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
As hard as Gionta works, I also found him completely ineffective. Constantly turning the wrong way, hesitating around lose puck battles, etc. And if I'm Plekanec, I turn to him and say: "Brian, I know you're a shooter, but you know what also works every now and then? A pass." Gio always opts for the shot when he has a guy busting to the net.
I like Gionta, but he's quickly becoming one of the most predictable players in the league. Is any goalie actually scared of that slapshot from the half-boards thing he does every game?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Uber Coca

Let's see how this team rebounds from last night's loss.

The Canadiens had the chance to win this game in the first period but it ended 0 - 0. They lacked finish, and a lot of opportunities you simply don't miss if you want to win a game against one of the best teams in the league.

The Canadiens proved nonetheless that they could compete against the best in terms of scoring opportunities and physicality.

- They need to make some adjustments in the faceoff circle. The Bruins were terrific at that.
- The Desharnais line is inconsistent.
- It was Markov worst performance of the season (still ended up with an assist).
- The fourth line was dynamic. Sadly they couldn't finish.
- Even do he missed his breakaway, I thought Plekanec played a good game.
- The powerplay has been poor lately.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 AM
zzoo

Did we really play against our hated rival yesterday ? What a boring game. By the way, Bruins didn't play better than us.

Anyway, Louis Leblanc's two goals salvage my night.

Good: Eller, Subban, Bourque
Bad: Cole, Pax, Emelin

Old
02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Znthnk

The habs played well in general aside from those two costly mistakes. I don't think they need to make much changes, but felt Therrien was overprotecting the Gallys, particularly immediately after the Bruins second goal when additional offense was needed. Eller was having a terrific game, and could have played the Gallys with Eller to provide a spark (he did try this late in the third, too little too late), as Julien's line change did for the Bruins.

While the kid line did struggle in a couple of shifts, when trailing in the third, it's the time to take chances. I think after the next game, Therrien should try Eller on the kid's line LW next practice. He's been playing well on both ends of the ice recently and deserves to be in the top three lines. Cole on the other hand.... but a Cole demotion is unlikely, so Prust on the fourth, unless they are playing a road game.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
They also played against the top line, including their 3 best forwards together. The team as a whole was alseep to start the 3rd, would be irresponsible to blame the Plekanec line.

They had a bunch of cahnces the rest of the game. The Gally line had easy matchups and still manged 2 brutal shifts where they couldn't get the pucj out plus they had few good scoring chances.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
10 games, 9 points, +5, ~18-minute production rate, ~16:20 TOI.

Nice try.
True, but he is not a goal scorer. Yes he popped a couple the previous 2 games, but he is not a goal scorer. His weakness at this costs us again and again. It does. It really does.

I was ****ing pissed off at his missed chance tonight. I'm getting really irritated at DD and Eller's lack of ability to score goals consistently.

That was a very important game, and we had chances, but our centers suck really, really bad at scoring goals.

For the thousandth time, we cannot afford to have 3 C who score 45 goals a year between them.

I love DD, but I cannot stand his lack of finish, shooting and scoring. I really really dislike it. It pisses me off, and it makes me want him gone.

I said this summer, if DD does not score this year, he is gone. I stand by that. The Habs will find a center to replace him that can post 20-25 goals.

Closed Thread