HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Markham arena not a threat to Quebec City, promoter says

Old
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350

http://www.portagedailygraphic.com/2...-promoter-says

Markham’s $320 million, NHL-size arena project will not crush Quebec City’s dreams of re-gaining an NHL franchise, said a Montreal businessman who is heading up the Toronto-area project.

Roustan, one of the private investors for the Markham, Ont. arena project, told QMI Agency that there is no rivalry between the two cities.

“There are two nice projects in two extraordinary cities,” he said. “Each deserves credit. I’ll say right now: If Quebec City gets a team, I’ll be at the first game.”

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

vCash: 500
Markham is an extraordinary city? Maybe he means it in the sense that it's really ordinary...

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 02:50 PM
powerstuck
User Registered

I too believe Markham arena is not a competition for Quebec...right now. Maybe if Qc has to wait 5 years and both Markham and Quebec have NHL ready arenas...then yes, every single NHL standards arena will be a direct competitor, but for now, Quebec has close to a year on Seattle and close to two-three years on Markham as far as arena construction goes.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Markham is an extraordinary city? Maybe he means it in the sense that it's really ordinary...
Markhams a city?

maybe not a threat to QC but a threat to the ACC

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Evil Doctor
Army Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
Markhams a city?

maybe not a threat to QC but a threat to the ACC
Oh yeah, that's right, it's only an increasingly misnamed town....

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:32 PM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
Markham is relatively nice for place so close to toronto, especially for a hockey market, it`s not like Mississauga is stepping up to the plate any time soon.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:34 PM
JMROWE

Why do people think this Markham arena is going to happen & there going to get an NHL. team to with it please first of Markham is way to close to Toronto \ the ACC. & MLSE. has too much clout within the NHL. to let it happen 2nd this arena is a long way off there are more votes & meetings to happen before they even think about sticking a shovel in the ground & lets not forget Markham city council barley passed the motion for upholding the funding by the skin of there teeth & chances are good the next vote won't pass & this arena would be dead in the water .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:24 PM
MarkhamNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Why do people think this Markham arena is going to happen & there going to get an NHL. .
because they don't live in Hamilton.

MarkhamNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMROWE View Post
Why do people think this Markham arena is going to happen & there going to get an NHL. team to with it please first of Markham is way to close to Toronto \ the ACC. & MLSE. has too much clout within the NHL. to let it happen 2nd this arena is a long way off there are more votes & meetings to happen before they even think about sticking a shovel in the ground & lets not forget Markham city council barley passed the motion for upholding the funding by the skin of there teeth & chances are good the next vote won't pass & this arena would be dead in the water .
How do you know they won't be all for it? Leafs owned by media companies now. Another Toronto team means double the programming and as we all have learned TV revenue is what will be driving this league in the future.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:07 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
First of all, of course it won't. Markham's at least a couple years behind Quebec City and there are several hundred miles and a couple major markets between the two.

Second of all, isn't the Markham arena deal still essentially in limbo at best and near dead at worst? Not threatening anything right now.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:19 PM
JMROWE

You guys still don't get it MLSE. demand huge territory fee to give up there territory on top of what an NHL. team would cost you are looking at 600 million dollars to put a 2nd NHL. team in Toronto & that is not including a new arena all I have to say is good luck trying to find someone who drop that kind of money for an NHL. team .

When you can put an NHL. team in Hamilton for 30% to 40% less than it would cost to put a 2nd NHL. team in Toronto & let me tell you somthing even tech & other businesses are leaving Toronto (GTA.) in droves to the Hamilton area because it is 30% - 40% cheaper to run a business in the Hamilton area than it is to do GTA. .

JMROWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Mightygoose

vCash: 514
As long as MLSE has something to Gain by a 2nd team in the GTA they'll eventually be on board.

Whatever the fee is to get into their territory will be worked out with the NHL and I don't see that costing half a billion as have been suggested. The regional broadcasting rights will make it worthwhile now that 2 large media companies are running MLSE.

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
As long as MLSE has something to Gain by a 2nd team in the GTA they'll eventually be on board.

Whatever the fee is to get into their territory will be worked out with the NHL and I don't see that costing half a billion as have been suggested. The regional broadcasting rights will make it worthwhile now that 2 large media companies are running MLSE.
That's the way I see it Bell and Rogers just double up on their most profitable programming. If Hamilton can get CHCH 11? on side they may have a local broadcast outlet.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:54 PM
DJ Omnimaga

The new Quebec arena project was started in October 2008 by Jaimaplace. It changed since then and it took until February 2011 until governments sign an agreement for financing and September 2012 for the shovels to hit the ground.

If it was entirely privately funded or done outside Quebec (we all know how slow things can go in Quebec), it might have gone faster, but it still gives an idea of how far behind Markham is compared to Quebec.

DJ Omnimaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

I am still trying to find out the reason of this declaration. I have no clue why he did say that.

I mean, on the strict public relations point of vue, I dunno.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:55 AM
HugoSimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post

It likely won`t be a one time fee, but annual one that is paid each year.

Anyhow I could see it easily being 60-100 million a year, and team number 2 would still be highly profitable.

HugoSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:12 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSimon View Post
It likely won`t be a one time fee, but annual one that is paid each year.

Anyhow I could see it easily being 60-100 million a year, and team number 2 would still be highly profitable.
I think you're seriously overestimating how much money a second team would generate in the GTA. Forbes guesstimates for the Leafs are annual revenue of $200m and operating income of $82m. There's no way a second team could be profitable with a $60m-$100m annual expense. A reasonable estimate for revenues on a second team is probably $100m-$130m annually.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
LeafShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think you're seriously overestimating how much money a second team would generate in the GTA. Forbes guesstimates for the Leafs are annual revenue of $200m and operating income of $82m. There's no way a second team could be profitable with a $60m-$100m annual expense. A reasonable estimate for revenues on a second team is probably $100m-$130m annually.
Mississauga would probably be the better location for a "GTA" team as it has a bigger population base to draw from. I think profit wise, Hamilton would be the best option, but putting a team in Hamilton would kill Buffalo without question. Heck, putting any team south of Toronto could kill Buffalo, even if it is technically outside of Buffalo's range. A Markham team would likely be profit neutral, or slightly profitable. Even though Markham is in the Golden Horseshoe, the city itself is not that big. The better predictor of success is city size, not metro size.

Markham is easily better than Phoenix currently though, but Quebec City gets the team because they have the best temporary venue. Seattle simply has too much uncertainty currently, and no feasible temporary facility. If you were to pick a city in the GTA/Golden Horseshoe area to put another team, Markham is actually one of the worst selections. It would be silly for Markham to build an arena to attract an NHL team... they just became a city not even 1 full year ago.

LeafShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:01 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think you're the only one that gets this. 2oronto is not going to be LeafsB. The Leafs have a 90 year start in marketing and they absolutely dominate the Ontario region. A second team will sell tickets but they will not divide the Leafs fan base down the middle. 2oronto will not generate the kind of demand that Leafs fans do for tickets and merchandise. A more realistic comparable would be Ottawa. The Senators arena is also located in a suburb and they barely fend off the Leafs despite fielding a competitive team and being in town 20 years.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I think you're the only one that gets this. 2oronto is not going to be LeafsB. The Leafs have a 90 year start in marketing and they absolutely dominate the Ontario region. A second team will sell tickets but they will not divide the Leafs fan base down the middle. 2oronto will not generate the kind of demand that Leafs fans do for tickets and merchandise. A more realistic comparable would be Ottawa. The Senators arena is also located in a suburb and they barely fend off the Leafs despite fielding a competitive team and being in town 20 years.
i agree with your post but if i may ask what the bolded means. are you talking anytime the Leafs come to Ottawa its filled with Leafs fans?

if thats the case, cant say i blame the Sen fans. you get to make money from your season ticket while not having to watch the Leafs.. its a win win imo

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote