HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs listening on Kessel?

Old
02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
daveleaf

vCash: 500
I believe all you have to ask is what team would Kessel help? I believe there might be 25 teams out there that would want him. Pho, Nsh, Van, Cal, LA, Ana, SJ, Det, Wsh.....I can go on forever.

Problem Leafs made is that they had no one else to put around him of this guy would have had two 40 goal years by now. Until Lupul got here it was just him and Bozak was just out of college and is a third line centre or second. On the a better team Kessel is lights out so I do believe he is worth a lot. He is a game changer and his speed changes the way you play him. I feel bad against Boston he has no one to give him a hand.

Kessel should net a very good young roster player, good prospect and 1st round pic any day of the week.

Dreger brought that up because Nonis is just using the media to generate interest and drive up the price.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:53 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet.....but

Ryan o'Reilly
Col 1st 2013
Col 3rd 2014
not gonna lie I like it

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 08:59 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
according to caley's report it would take something along the lines of a good Top 4 d-man or Top 6 forward and a high draft pick.

I think that's a lot more realistic, then some of the proposals that some Leaf fans have insisted it would take.
From Detroit:

Franzen, Quincey, Jurco, 2013 2nd

for

Kessel

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
416Leafer

Quote:

Ryan o'Reilly
Col 1st 2013
Col 3rd 2014
I doubt Colorado does that.

- RoR is superb defensively. Also at the age of 20 (21 part way through the season), he put up 55 pts and LED his team in pts. Kessel at that age put up 60 pts, but was playing with the likes of Savard/Chara/etc.
- Given his age and the offence he showed last season, he could potentially be a hidden gem able to put up 70+ points down the line while providing Selke or near-Selke calibre two-way play. He gets undervalued in trade proposals because he wasn't a top 10 pick or even a 1st round pick, of that I'm pretty convinced
- Centres are worth more than wingers, all else being equal
- This years draft looks very good. Colorado will likely be picking in the top 10, potentially top 5. You don't give up RoR + ~Monahan for Kessel

I think Kessel and RoR probably have similar value 1 for 1. RoR has some question marks on longterm offensive upside, but at worst you're getting a guy who should be good for ~50-60 pts while also playing great defensively (aka J. Staal, but less physical, less of a goal scorer and more of a playmaker).

You could make an argument that Colorado would have to add, but it definitely wouldn't be a 1st round pick, especially in this draft and especially where they're expected to be picking.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:

Ryan o'Reilly
Col 1st 2013
Col 3rd 2014
At this point, the Avs wouldn't be willing to give up the 1st alone for Kessel.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Remember when Anaheim was listening on offers for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan last year?

It's that kind of listen.

I don't trust Dreger at all.

Nonis has been the assistant GM for years..."Kessel isn't Nonis' guy" is a ridiculous statement.

He's not going to be traded if he wants to be here and signs a deal worth about ~7M this offseason. If he doesn't, then expect a trade at the draft.

How many players have scored 30+ goals 4 straight years? Out of those, how many have done it with a center that is like Bozak? He has about ~210 points in roughly ~240 games.

Trading Kessel does nothing good for the Leafs. They won't get back a player half as good as Kessel.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:05 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
From Detroit:

for

Kessel
no like franzen but he's old

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechtrick8 View Post
Carlson + a 1st (unless its a top 3 pick) for Kessel.

Done.
No thanks.

Forsberg + a 1st. Or Kuznetsov.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:07 AM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
From Detroit:

for

Kessel
No deal unless Nyquist or Jarnkrok is coming back. Would also be interested in Smith.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Sundinisagod
King Joffrey 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Remember when Anaheim was listening on offers for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan last year?

It's that kind of listen.

I don't trust Dreger at all.

Nonis has been the assistant GM for years..."Kessel isn't Nonis' guy is ridiculous"

He's not going to be traded if he wants to be here and signs a deal worth about ~7M this offseason. If he doesn't, then expect a trade at the draft.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't actually sign him until after the draft?

...but they can probably make a verbal agreement before the date when they can re-sign him? I'm guessing that date to be July 1...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:08 AM
Sergei Berezin

Hope Kessel just resigns as soon as it's possible to end some of these garbage proposals.

Guess some Leaf fans are finding out what it feels like to be on the other end of the spectrum.

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
pspot

Minny: Coyle, Backstrom, Clutterbuck, 1st for Kessel, Reimer, Blacker

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
johnny_rudeboy

I dont think Colorado is looking to trade away 1st round picks seeing as they traded away last years. They have a young core and will probably look to add to that through the draft.

Kessel is more suited to a contender who are looking for some extra goal production down the wing and who play a style of hockey that would allow Kessel to play his style, using his speed and quick release with out having to dig the puck out from the corners or hit people. I guess most teams are interested in having Kessels talents but when GMs sit down and look at their teams, how they play and what Kessel would add I am not so sure 29 GMs would still be interested even less so seeing as his value is still very high.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I agree with you. I'm not sure Toronto fans see where you are going with this, but I certainly do.
I'd take Richards over Kessel as well. I'd rather take a 60-70 point season from someone like Richards over a 82 point season from Kessel.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:11 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
Minny: Coyle, Backstrom, Clutterbuck, 1st for Kessel, Reimer, Blacker
Who said Reimer and Blacker was on the market?

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:14 AM
TSA0402

Never build around a winger. Especially a one-dimensional winger.
Nonis would be incompetent if he wasn't listening to offers.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Never build around a winger. Especially a one-dimensional winger.
Nonis would be incompetent if he wasn't listening to offers.
Yep, doesn't hurt to listen. We're definitely not going to give him away for the garbage proposed in this thread though. Franzen, Quincey, and Jurco? Keep dreaming in fantasy land.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Yosho
Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
So Burke wasn't doing his job for the past 3 years here????cause he fully was coming on tv and saying that hes not even listening offers for Kessel.
Burke is stubborn. Now he's jobless.

Coincidence?

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Who said Reimer and Blacker was on the market?
you think any Leafs should not be available?

pspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but they can't actually sign him until after the draft?

...but they can probably make a verbal agreement before the date when they can re-sign him? I'm guessing that date to be July 1...
Wouldn't it be the same situation as Jordan Staal?

He was being offered a good amount of money from Pittsburgh a year before he went UFA, he declined, Carolina traded for him at the draft.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:24 AM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
I'd take Richards over Kessel as well. I'd rather take a 60-70 point season from someone like Richards over a 82 point season from Kessel.
He's not even putting 50 points right now let alone 60-70.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
nickschultzfan

I honestly don't know what Toronto should do with Kessel. They are stuck in the mud right now because Burke refused to rebuild. Sure, they are in the playoffs now, but they won't be by the season's end.

Leafs fans are going to jump on me for saying that. They'll tell me that their team is headed in the right direction and you don't get get rid of your best player just cause. Probably true, but the Leafs' problem is that they always think they are 1 or 2 levels from a contender when they are actually like 6 levels. And when you recognize that you are that far away, your strategy changes.

Like many people, I though the Leafs should have blown it up a long time ago. I still think they need a full rebuild. They got enough pieces to trade for some youth and keep moving forward. I guess Kessel is right there on the border.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
LMFAO

Nonis resigns Lupul for 5 years 5.25 Millions per, yet he will trade Kessel right after ? Kessel ain't going nowhere.

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoTrades View Post
When Caps were mentioned that's immediately came to mind.. I would want Johnasson involved.

I don't think Johansson + Carlson would be quite enough but it would be a good starting spot.

LA is intriguing though.. If we could get a Mike Richards that would be big... we need a 1C desperately.
If we are talking about the Caps, I would want Alzer + Kuznetsov. Carlson + Kuznetsov would be amazing, but that isn't happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Krejci for Kessel straight across.
Boston would need add another piece. Kessel is defitenily worth more than Krejci.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I honestly don't know what Toronto should do with Kessel. They are stuck in the mud right now because Burke refused to rebuild. Sure, they are in the playoffs now, but they won't be by the season's end.

Leafs fans are going to jump on me for saying that. They'll tell me that their team is headed in the right direction and you don't get get rid of your best player just cause. Probably true, but the Leafs' problem is that they always think they are 1 or 2 levels from a contender when they are actually like 6 levels. And when you recognize that you are that far away, your strategy changes.

Like many people, I though the Leafs should have blown it up a long time ago. I still think they need a full rebuild. They got enough pieces to trade for some youth and keep moving forward. I guess Kessel is right there on the border.
I agree that we aren't close to being a contender at all (and probably not close to making the playoffs comfortably), but we don't really need a full rebuild. The Leafs have actually built a solid farm system despite popular opinion. We're a few moves away from having the potential to be a good team in a few years, once the young guys improve and get their chance. Work is obviously needed, but we ARE headed in the right direction. Unload a few vets for futures and have 1-2 solid drafts, then give the younger guys more of a role and we're in fine shape going forward.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote