HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

House Cleaning Must Go On This Season Too

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2011, 11:56 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
ORLLY.

Do tell.
It's why the Detroit Red Wings never win anything and the Oilers always make the playoffs. Oh wait...

Old
09-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Moneypuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
It's why the Detroit Red Wings never win anything and the Oilers always make the playoffs. Oh wait...
The Carolina Hurricanes and the Tampa Bay Lightning have also won a solo championship within the last decade as well. Even a blind squirrel will find the odd acorn.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
The Carolina Hurricanes and the Tampa Bay Lightning have also won a solo championship within the last decade as well. Even a blind squirrel will find the odd acorn.
With players like Rod Brind'Amour and Dave Andreychuk? Honestly the way you phrase it though, you make it sound like if we're lucky a young team could win the cup. Because even a blind squirrel will find an acorn.

Detroit isn't the blind squirrel.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
Detroit is the only franchise to have won multiple championships in the past decade.

Old
09-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Alawishis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
We have dived at least partly because of injuries last couple of season. It is a great possibility it will happen again this season. I am able to wait if we will get good picks and we have a good veterans to help kids growing.

I mean good veterans and it means that they are not just good persons off the ice but are able to help on the ice too. We have four guys who are always injured and we need to get rid of them. They can not help us when we are contending they are helping us to suck lottery balls.

Hemsky

If we just can. I really hope he is not out for season because then we will not get anything in return. If he is back we need to trade him immediately after 10-15 games.

Whitney

He should be traded before trading deadline because of same reasons than Hemsky. If we are gambling with him we can loose him to UFA without getting anything back.

Brule

His trading value is zero but if he recovers somebodsy might take a flyer and then he must be on is way to other destiny

Horcoff

There is no chance to move his contract we just need to hope that he can have a season without injuries when we are pushing for a play off spot. I can live this guy if we can off load others

Conclusion

Either we are trading these guys for some picks or we will dive season 2012-13 too. I am not ready for that. Let us trade them this season, pick top 3 pick and acquire some veterans with good character and ability stay healthy from UFA market next season.
You missed the players we'd likely get the best return on, Hall and Eberle. It's worth doing since with a draft pick in the first round we are guaranteed to get a good player back...right? There's a Hemsky and Whitney type player ever draft so we're sure to replace those guys.

Old
10-14-2011, 03:51 AM
Broilers

Quote:
We have dived at least partly because of injuries last couple of season. It is a great possibility it will happen again this season. I am able to wait if we will get good picks and we have a good veterans to help kids growing.

I mean good veterans and it means that they are not just good persons off the ice but are able to help on the ice too. We have four guys who are always injured and we need to get rid of them. They can not help us when we are contending they are helping us to suck lottery balls.

Hemsky

If we just can. I really hope he is not out for season because then we will not get anything in return. If he is back we need to trade him immediately after 10-15 games.

Whitney

He should be traded before trading deadline because of same reasons than Hemsky. If we are gambling with him we can loose him to UFA without getting anything back.

Brule

His trading value is zero but if he recovers somebodsy might take a flyer and then he must be on is way to other destiny

Horcoff

There is no chance to move his contract we just need to hope that he can have a season without injuries when we are pushing for a play off spot. I can live this guy if we can off load others

Conclusion

Either we are trading these guys for some picks or we will dive season 2012-13 too. I am not ready for that. Let us trade them this season, pick top 3 pick and acquire some veterans with good character and ability stay healthy from UFA market next season.
It is time for self evaluation what I wrote a some time ago

I thought too much on Brule he is gone and wll not be back
We are stuck with Horcoff but he is winning face offs again
Whitney is in IR
Hemsky got hurt again
I received criticism that trading Whitney and Hemsky takes rebuilding back miles.

I really think that Whitney and Hemsky can not help us from IR and I hope that they can be traded contender this season and we can have prospects and picks in return. Of course they need to remain healthy for some time to gain trade value.

Old
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
It is time for self evaluation what I wrote a some time ago

I thought too much on Brule he is gone and wll not be back
We are stuck with Horcoff but he is winning face offs again
Whitney is in IR
Hemsky got hurt again
I received criticism that trading Whitney and Hemsky takes rebuilding back miles.

I really think that Whitney and Hemsky can not help us from IR and I hope that they can be traded contender this season and we can have prospects and picks in return. Of course they need to remain healthy for some time to gain trade value.
Problem being no one wanted Whitney or Hemsky. What GM would trade for two guys that were already injured? Other than DL.

Old
10-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Problem being no one wanted Whitney or Hemsky. What GM would trade for two guys that were already injured? Other than DL.
Someone will take a risk with them if they have been healthy 10+ games. Of course closer at trading death line. We do not need the couse they are not able to play enough games(60 or more) per season

Old
10-14-2011, 10:38 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Someone will take a risk with them if they have been healthy 10+ games. Of course closer at trading death line. We do not need the couse they are not able to play enough games(60 or more) per season
Oh so you weren't talking about trading them before the year?

That makes sense, and I can't really disagree. Although I guess we have to see how things go to.

Old
10-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Quote:
trading death line
Interesting typo, there.

Old
10-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
There is a lot of whining and moaning on this site, especially for a team who finished last a year ago, and who hasn't even lost a game yet. We're already shipping guys out calling guys garbage after 2 games. Sort of reminds me of fan who sits in the stands at a game, with his teams jersey on and just complains about his team the entire game. Sounds like a good time to me! I'm all for criticism where it's due, but seems like everywhere you look someone has something to cry about.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'd welcome a trade too . Just so I don't have to watch Horc fumbling the puck night in and night out , getting injured and giving solemn interviews about how hard the team tries . Did you catch his interview with Tencer where he refers to the Oilers last place finish as "finishing first" ?
Worst captain the Oilers have ever had and its not even close . At least Corson could hit the net .
Boy, I got a hard, hard time swallowing that one. Faulting a guy for not being the player that he's getting paid to be, but placing him beneath a ****ing ass potato like Corson? That's pretty harsh.

Old
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Bring Back Bucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Peckman View Post
There is a lot of whining and moaning on this site, especially for a team who finished last a year ago, and who hasn't even lost a game yet. We're already shipping guys out calling guys garbage after 2 games. Sort of reminds me of fan who sits in the stands at a game, with his teams jersey on and just complains about his team the entire game. Sounds like a good time to me! I'm all for criticism where it's due, but seems like everywhere you look someone has something to cry about.
No ****, if being an Oilers fan caused me as much anguish as many posters here I'd have long since jumped off a bridge or become a rassling fan or taken up knitting or soduku.

Old
10-15-2011, 03:58 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Peckman View Post
At least my comments are rational. Nobody can help us to win games from IR not even Hemsky and Whitney. Believe it or not but these guys have difficulties to stay healthy in the future too. Let us finish this house cleaning this year and it is over for 15 years. Only thing what we need to do is to acquire stud dman, top six power forward(who may be already in the system) and a liitle bit depth to our defense forces.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:21 AM
Broilers

Quote:

Hemsky

Whitney

Brule

Horcoff

It seems to me that we need to clean the house during this season too. I am taking Hemsky out of trading block. I am happy that Brule is out.

Horcoff needs to be bought out during the off season
Whitney should be traded for the center void
Omark should be packaged with the pick or prospect to bring here another center

We have also too many fourth liners and too few third liners some of them should not be back.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
It seems to me that we need to clean the house during this season too. I am taking Hemsky out of trading block. I am happy that Brule is out.

We have also too many fourth liners and too few third liners some of them should not be back.
1) Buying Horcoff out this season is not necessary, even with Horcoff's contract the Oilers have 20 million in cap space with Smid, Hartikainen, Gagner and Paajarvi the only free agents of note.

2) You are not going to get anything for Whitney. At all. Nobody is trading anything for a awful defensemen who is a free agent at the end of the season.

3) Same to be said with Omark, I doubt he gets more than a late late draft pick from a team that wants to take a flyer on him.

Also, holy bumped topic.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
1) Buying Horcoff out this season is not necessary, even with Horcoff's contract the Oilers have 20 million in cap space with Smid, Hartikainen, Gagner and Paajarvi the only free agents of note.

2) You are not going to get anything for Whitney. At all. Nobody is trading anything for a awful defensemen who is a free agent at the end of the season.

3) Same to be said with Omark, I doubt he gets more than a late late draft pick from a team that wants to take a flyer on him.

Also, holy bumped topic.
1. Horcoff is well paid to be injury prone below average 3rd line center. We can replace him with Dominic Moore. I would not be so sure about our cap situation. Smid and Gagner will demand heft raises

2.Defensemen are requested prior to deadline. Think what we got from Staios as a return. We can easily swap him for young fourth line center in a month

3. Omark leads scoring in the Swiss league. We should get better return than last year draft. Trade or fade is the name of the game now. We can get in return some one who can help in the OKC.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:08 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:

Horcoff is overpaid for sure, but he's still a valuable 3rd line center. Who is going to replace him?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

for those calling Horcoff injury prone what do you call Hemsky?

Old
02-07-2013, 09:36 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
for those calling Horcoff injury prone what do you call Hemsky?
People just have such short memories eh. Horcoff breaks his hand and suddenly the fact that he has only 2 season in the past 9 where he's played less than 77 games is irrelevant

Old
02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

IMO, the only players that must go are Potrer, Smyth, and Whitney.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:05 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
IMO, the only players that must go are Potrer, Smyth, and Whitney.
They are the biggest deficient players, I agree.

But I look at the lack of secondary scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines (I realize Jones and Eager are hurt) and the complete lack of anything resembling offence from defencemen not named Jesus Schultz, and I think something more major might have to happen.

I'm not convinced we're just a "couple of minor pieces" away from fielding a team that can make a deep run.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:10 AM
gqmixmaster

I am okay with Smyth, he brings an element of experienced craftiness the Oilers lack. I think he has a lot to teach the guys even if its from the 4th line. If anything I hope he retires to the coaching staff.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:16 AM
Lessy

If we don't use a compliance buyout (CBA gift) this summer on Horcoff it's awful cap management. Belanger can replace him just fine at a third of the price. I don't like either player really but you just can't justify Horcoff eating up 10% of the salary cap for the player he currently is.

People also need to stop acting like we can get something for Omark. I don't think we could get a 7th for him. Whitney you're probably looking at a 3rd at the deadline.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:23 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
They are the biggest deficient players, I agree.

But I look at the lack of secondary scoring from our 3rd and 4th lines (I realize Jones and Eager are hurt) and the complete lack of anything resembling offence from defencemen not named Jesus Schultz, and I think something more major might have to happen.

I'm not convinced we're just a "couple of minor pieces" away from fielding a team that can make a deep run.
I think we have most of the core we need to become a contender. The problem is that Tambellini is content to sit on his duff and do nothing to address the deficiencies that exist on our roster.

Not saying these trades would be realistic, but make a few deals where we acquire players we sorely need would make us a contender quickly:

Eberle
2013 1st
Belanger
Whitney

for

OEL
Hanzal

Paajarvi
pick/prospect

for

Ryane Clowe

Hall - RNH - Clowe