HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 02:10 AM
MrLegend28

vCash: 500
Darren Dreger is so ridiculous lol. Theres history between Phil and Burke, but not Phil and Nonis..as if Nonis just appeared here overnight. SO dumb if we trade away Phil.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:15 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Proposal from the Trade board. Me likey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Deal to get er done:

To TO:

- 1st Round Pick (13)
- Frankie Corrado
- Niklas Jensen (though it pains me)
- Cory Schneider

To Vancouver:
- Kessel
- Scrivens
- 4th Round Pick (14)

Old
02-07-2013, 06:36 AM
threeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
No. We can do better than that. I'm fine with our goalies right now and they still need time to show what they will become. Bring schnieder here will just give us another reimer, or worse on weaker defence than vancouver.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Rielly Good

If we trade kessel, I want either a Young D with top 4 potential, 1st and Solid prospect. OR Top 6 forward with size and alot of upside.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:20 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rielly Good View Post
If we trade kessel, I want either a Young D with top 4 potential, 1st and Solid prospect. OR Top 6 forward with size and alot of upside.
I want a top prospect, preferably a center. Depending on the quality of said prospect (or young player, duh), then you add the pieces around it.

I don't want a trade for the sake of one. You get what you need as much as you can and you move on. If you don't get what you need, then you keep what you have.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
I want a top prospect, preferably a center. Depending on the quality of said prospect (or young player, duh), then you add the pieces around it.

I don't want a trade for the sake of one. You get what you need as much as you can and you move on. If you don't get what you need, then you keep what you have.
Yep. I think the bar has to be something like 1 young top9 / top4 player with potential, 1 top-tier prospect, 1 1st round pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:56 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLegend28 View Post
Darren Dreger is so ridiculous lol. Theres history between Phil and Burke, but not Phil and Nonis..as if Nonis just appeared here overnight. SO dumb if we trade away Phil.
Safe to say Dreger knows a lot more about hockey and has far better connections than almost anybody in the business, especially you. Nonis is also his cousin, so he tends to get the inside scoop with the Leafs, and there is speculation/rumours that Nonis was never a fan of the Kessel trade to begin with, so yes, Kessel can be "Burke's guy" despite Nonis having been here for 4 years or whatever already.

Dreger doesn't typically stir the pot just for the sake of a story. There are quite a few reasons to think that Kessel might be available. And he didn't say Nonis was actively shopping him, he said he was listening to offers.. which most GMs would do about most players. Gretzky got traded, there's almost no such thing as an untouchable, and Kessel definitely isnt one.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
pspot

Quote:
change Corrado to Gaunce and that's a pretty solid deal

maybe leafs take on Ballard to make that work

Sedins and Kessel, softest line ever?

Old
02-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Vancouver needs to move salary as much as anything. They are at $60 mill next year with 14 guys signed. They need to trade a goalie for young/inexpensive help not a 5.4 million contract.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
Vancouver needs to move salary as much as anything. They are at $60 mill next year with 14 guys signed. They need to trade a goalie for young/inexpensive help not a 5.4 million contract.
New CBA offers flexibility. Leafs could eat part of the contract if needed.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Nonis would be a fool to not "listen" to offers on any players. That said, kessel won't be moved short of an overpayment

Old
02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Morguee
That's Mind-boggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
New CBA offers flexibility. Leafs could eat part of the contract if needed.
With the cap going down the Leafs are ok but are still paying $2 million next year in buyouts and can't really afford to be taking on too much salary themselves.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:52 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morguee View Post
With the cap going down the Leafs are ok but are still paying $2 million next year in buyouts and can't really afford to be taking on too much salary themselves.
For one year if it gets us the best package in a trade? Definitely do-able. We have a ton of cap flexibility. If the trade WASN'T made, we would have Kessels salary on the books next year. Presumably if we ate some of the salary for another team, it would be to make the trade cap-neutral for the other team, in which case it would also be cap-neutral for us.

I'm not worried about the cap for next year. We don't have much of a shot at all at getting Getzlaf or Perry. And even if we magically were able to get both, we'd be able to work it out by buying out Komi or something like that.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Reminds me of a trade Nonis made in Vancouver where he got a young Roberto Luongo and ended seven + years of instability in net.

Corey Schneider, Nicklas Jensen, 1st 2012 and Brendan Gaunce for Phil Kessel, Ben Scrivens and 3rd.

We eat a portion of salary next year to help Vancouver out with there soon to be cap troubles, and they ice one (id probably say the best, but for arguements sake) of the best hockey teams in the league.

Then they can bring the cup back to Canada.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Kessel isn't going anywhere, at least not in a trade that has Cory Schneider as the best part.

Nonis didn't just come from outer space to be the Leafs GM. He was there for 4 years as the AGM.

Remember how Anaheim was listening to offers for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan last year? It's that kind of listen.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
leugangen

Why the hell are we trading Kessel in a deal that has a goalie as the centrepiece? Reimer has been our best player all season. We need help on D and down the middle, not in net. We could use a veteran backup though.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:15 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Kessel isn't going anywhere, at least not in a trade that has Cory Schneider as the best part.

Nonis didn't just come from outer space to be the Leafs GM. He was there for 4 years as the AGM.

Remember how Anaheim was listening to offers for Getzlaf, Perry, and Ryan last year? It's that kind of listen.
Not really... Bobby Ryan requested a trade, they flipped their head coach, and Perry and Getzlaf are both UFAs at the end of this season. Not to mention they are in contender status, and despite their poor season last year had and still have multiple pieces capable of placing them in contention - ie. good top-3 core, #1G. They have Fowler and Vatenen on D and thought they had Schultz coming down the pipeline. They have a really good depth in prospects with Smith-Pelley, Etem, Holland, Palmieri, and Friberg, and they have both Gibson and Fasth for future consideration between the pipes.

Needless to say their franchise state couldn't be much more different than ours, and is thus not a good partner to draw comparisons to.

That said, I too am not sold on Schneider, and for that package I admit I know little about Jensen other than he's a big swedish RW who is highly regarded by their organization, as any 1st rounder should be.

The Corrado piece puzzles me - a 5th rounder, defenseman, Toronto boy... seems really out there, not sure why it would be considered a piece in this.

So really, it's Jensen, Scheider and their 1st. That's a decent package, provided we feel Schneider is legit and Jensen has sufficient upside, neither of which I'm quite sold on TBH.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

So now Kessel becomes a worthy piece for other teams before he was crap!

02-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

Deal to get er done:

To TO:

- 1st Round Pick (13)
- Frankie Corrado
- Niklas Jensen (though it pains me)
- Cory Schneider

To Vancouver:
- Kessel
- Scrivens
- 4th Round Pick (14)

If we are moving Kessel we need a much more significant return.

I dont want to move Kess at all but for S&G:

Tor:
Schneider
Schroeder
Jensen
1st (13)

Van:
Kessel
Scrivens
2nd (13)

Old
02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
So now Kessel becomes a worthy piece for other teams before he was crap!
Noone said he was crap.

Its just fun to talk about his value while we can. When he gets scoring he will be once again untouchable.

Hopefully tonight against Pavelec.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Noone said he was crap.

Its just fun to talk about his value while we can. When he gets scoring he will be once again untouchable.

Hopefully tonight against Pavelec.
Oh I am just saying in general. Not pointing to anyone lol. Pretty much as soon as he starts going on a goal streak, he'll be close to untouchable.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

If Kessel gets shipped, I hope its to Washinton. I would want Alzner + Kuznetsov for him. Add someone like Blacker if we have to.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If Kessel gets shipped, I hope its to Washinton. I would want Alzner + Kuznetsov for him. Add someone like Blacker if we have to.
I was speaking with some peers on twitter and they were saying the wilds for granlund but I can't see it tbh.

As well Kuznetsov im not so sure about, not skill wise, but how much he'll want to come here. As well I'd go for a guy like Carlson

Old
02-07-2013, 09:45 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
If Kuznetsov wouldn't come to the Caps when they had Ovie,Semin, Varlamov he definitely won't come to the Leafs.

They pretty much wasted that draft pick.

Tarasenko was a rare case.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Yea, I don't see the Wild being too interested to acquire him. Maybe Colorado would be interested if ROR can't be locked from their side.

ROR + Siemens + 2nd/3rd for Kessel would be a deal I would have to really think about.

Closed Thread