HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2013, 10:30 PM
  #951
94eleven
fka Loosemonkeys
 
94eleven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Ok, so it does, he also has Captained his team to the Mermorial Cup twice, won it once, WJHC Silver & Gold( also team captain),Calder Cup AHL, Olympic Gold medal and his Stanley Cup the guy is a winner and leader period. Kessler is a good player, Richards is a good player and great leader.
Sorry to derail this further but Kesler has:
U17 Gold Medal
U18 gold medal
WJC Gold Medal
WJC Silver Medal
Olympic Silver Medal

His only full season in the AHL he posted a 30 goal season and the Moose lost in the conference finals. The same season Richards joined, along with Carter, an already stacked Phantoms team to win the Calder Cup.

I am not attempting to put Richards down and to me they are pretty much identical in terms of impact to their teams, in fact I think they are good comparables for each other.

94eleven is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:09 AM
  #952
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Do you know who GMs would pick? Nope.


I think the first bold statement up there tells us what we need to know about your position vis a vis Kesler/Richards.










As to Luongo, I don't see him being dealt at the deadline. The offseason will cement further which teams want to make changes in goal. Further, it will give us some insight as to what teams relocate, and what teams fall in/out of the conference with VAN. DET for instance, in the east, makes them a player IMO.



LeBrun spoke about the DET philosophy on radio today. He intimates that had DET not had Lidstrom to promote their cheap-goalie philosophy, that they would be more willing to go with a better talent in goal. Along with them, is what CLB now does under Davidson. They have a plethora of futures to deal and could be looking to resolve their goaltending issues. They remain a player as long as Luongo is more apt to waive his NTC just to be a starter "somewhere". (Note: They actually had talks with VAN at the draft about Lu, per Dreger).



I really wonder what McPhee and WSH are going to do. Does he risk his job on Holtby's back? I dunno. This team remains the most interesting development in this saga.


TOR is there, but I don't think they deal anything young. As soon as they deal Kessel, whenever that comes (they can't let him just walk to FA), will signal the official rebuild.


Then there's the ever present Panthers. Where Lu clearly wants to go. Let's see how they go for the rest of the year.









Not for nothing, but this added wrinkle (if you can call the Lu situation that) has many VAN fans watching other teams with renewed interest. It's made hockey outside VAN more interesting for sure, at least for this fan (not that it wasn't already).


No, I do not know who GM's would pick, that however was brought up by a Nucks fan who said most GM's would pick Kesler hands down. Secodnly I guess you missed the part where in I said I was not a Richards fan either, yet you claim I have a bias, lol.


As for Loungo, you are right I don't think he moves until the off-season. He is playing to well to move right now period.It won't be lelieved but I hope Nucks fans get closer to what they are hoping for then. But If it becomes a cap issue which it could, you guys might, not I said might be disappointed in the return, time will tell.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:11 AM
  #953
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eleven View Post
Sorry to derail this further but Kesler has:
U17 Gold Medal
U18 gold medal
WJC Gold Medal
WJC Silver Medal
Olympic Silver Medal

His only full season in the AHL he posted a 30 goal season and the Moose lost in the conference finals. The same season Richards joined, along with Carter, an already stacked Phantoms team to win the Calder Cup.

I am not attempting to put Richards down and to me they are pretty much identical in terms of impact to their teams, in fact I think they are good comparables for each other.

I do, see I was only pointing out Richards accomplishments as to the poster, who claimed Kesler is a "much better" player than Richards. I originally claimed they were practically the same player, though I also admited Kesler has more talent, however I believe Richards is a better leader.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:14 AM
  #954
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus74 View Post
Don't shoot the messenger, but I had to chuckle at Kypreos on the Fan this afternoon during Hockey Central...

Called Luongo's contract the most untradeable contract in the history of hockey...
I think Kypreos, was confused with Ovie's contract or mybe Ricky D's contract. However it is not the gem of a contract all nucks fans feel it is. I mean resally and seriously, if the contract was a non-factor don't you think he would have been traded by now?

doorman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:17 AM
  #955
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eleven View Post
Sorry to derail this further but Kesler has:
U17 Gold Medal
U18 gold medal
WJC Gold Medal
WJC Silver Medal
Olympic Silver Medal

His only full season in the AHL he posted a 30 goal season and the Moose lost in the conference finals. The same season Richards joined, along with Carter, an already stacked Phantoms team to win the Calder Cup.

I am not attempting to put Richards down and to me they are pretty much identical in terms of impact to their teams, in fact I think they are good comparables for each other.
All of the bolded get trumped by that big silver cup thingy that Richards won last year.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
  #956
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,696
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Thanks for coming out? Richards isn't near 32. Don't bother posting if you are that clueless. Thanks for coming out though.

Richards has always been better than Kesler, and always will be. Hit me up when Kesler wins a Cup.
Ironically, there was a recent thread (week old?) that asked to rank Kesler/Richards/Duchene/Staal. I'll give you one guess who dominated it.

The only scenario Richards trumps Kesler is if the latter cannot bounce back from his injuries. The Cup defense is nonsense, otherwise Montreal is the best team in the league and has been for the past few decades. Why? Twenty-four cups. No team is better. It's a pointless straw man. Winning the Stanley Cup does not abruptly increase your skill.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
  #957
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,696
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I do, see I was only pointing out Richards accomplishments as to the poster, who claimed Kesler is a "much better" player than Richards. I originally claimed they were practically the same player, though I also admited Kesler has more talent, however I believe Richards is a better leader.
Richards was traded out of Philadelphia because the organization felt he wasn't a good leader. Meanwhile, Kesler is considered the heart and soul of the Canucks and was strongly favored to captain the team.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:32 AM
  #958
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Richards was traded out of Philadelphia because the organization felt he wasn't a good leader. Meanwhile, Kesler is considered the heart and soul of the Canucks and was strongly favored to captain the team.
Ya, that had everything to do with Pronger , IMO. As he was handed a long term extention only the year before. Asides from that there will be a bias as a Nucks fan for him, as all teams fans have that for there players. They are similar players IMO, period.

On a serious note, I hate Kyper and his stupid players view bias from the lockout. He has some merit as far as Lou's contract goes, but it is not untouchable or tradeable. I do believe it hampers his value, which sucks for Nucks fans. In a non cap world I think it would be a whole different ballgame for you guys.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  #959
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post

All of the bolded get trumped by that big silver cup thingy that Richards won last year.
I know as a leafs fan it's hard to remember what it's called, as a Canucks fan I had to google it.

Stanley Cup
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup

LPH is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 09:52 AM
  #960
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I know as a leafs fan it's hard to remember what it's called, as a Canucks fan I had to google it.

Stanley Cup
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Cup
Ya, my mind was getting fuzzy, i every year when i see it presented to 1 of the other 29 teams, i have a flashback to '67!!

Even sadder....my 7 year old nephew last year asked me (seriously) how come the Leafs aren't allowed in the playoffs?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  #961
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ya, my mind was getting fuzzy, i every year when i see it presented to 1 of the other 29 teams, i have a flashback to '67!!

Even sadder....my 7 year old nephew last year asked me (seriously) how come the Leafs aren't allowed in the playoffs?
I was beginning to think that it was a myth before I looked it up. What you're dealing with is easier than trying to explain to a 10 year old "Why is that guy punching Sedin in the head so much?"

LPH is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  #962
doorman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thunder Bay
Country: Canada
Posts: 414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ya, my mind was getting fuzzy, i every year when i see it presented to 1 of the other 29 teams, i have a flashback to '67!!

Even sadder....my 7 year old nephew last year asked me (seriously) how come the Leafs aren't allowed in the playoffs?
Tell your nephew it's because haters, wanna keep the Nation within check, lol. Could you imagine if the Leafs won the cup, wow band wagoneers everywhere,lol.

doorman is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
  #963
BeersHockey
Registered User
 
BeersHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Richards was traded out of Philadelphia because the organization felt he wasn't a good leader. Meanwhile, Kesler is considered the heart and soul of the Canucks and was strongly favored to captain the team.
That's funny, because Richards was made captain of the Flyers and Kesler wasn't made captain of the Canucks. So, who was more favored to captain their respective team? Also, please provide a link to an article or other source which says that Flyers MGMT traded Richards because they felt he wasn't a good leader. How is that house cleaning working out for them this year?

BeersHockey is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:06 AM
  #964
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
That's funny, because Richards was made captain of the Flyers and Kesler wasn't made captain of the Canucks. So, who was more favored to captain their respective team? Also, please provide a link to an article or other source which says that Flyers MGMT traded Richards because they felt he wasn't a good leader. How is that house cleaning working out for them this year?
Most teams don't trade their captain if they're satisfied with his leadership.

LPH is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
  #965
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I was beginning to think that it was a myth before I looked it up. What you're dealing with is easier than trying to explain to a 10 year old "Why is that guy punching Sedin in the head so much?"
That Boston series must be engraved forever on your minds...huh?

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:08 AM
  #966
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Tell your nephew it's because haters, wanna keep the Nation within check, lol. Could you imagine if the Leafs won the cup, wow band wagoneers everywhere,lol.
Ya...i keep dating myself when i say "it's the man keeping us down" and he gives me that WTF look.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
  #967
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
That Boston series must be engraved forever on your minds...huh?
I think I have permanent facepalm marks on my face

LPH is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 10:20 AM
  #968
Liferleafer
Golf....again....
 
Liferleafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 9,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I think I have permanent facepalm marks on my face
Well....me being ever the optimist will say "at least you get to see playoff hockey!!". I'm a Leaf season ticket holder and every year they say "would you like to pre-order playoff tickets?" and i laugh/cry uncontrolably.

Liferleafer is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
  #969
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,696
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
That's funny, because Richards was made captain of the Flyers and Kesler wasn't made captain of the Canucks. So, who was more favored to captain their respective team? Also, please provide a link to an article or other source which says that Flyers MGMT traded Richards because they felt he wasn't a good leader. How is that house cleaning working out for them this year?
Were Carter and Richards not cited as having been too party centric and arrogant for the team's liking? Obviously there is some media sensationalism because they tend to do that but given the abrupt nature of the trade, it does add credence to the claim. As for Kesler, well we happen to have a 100+ point centerman who is arguably the best playmaker in the game short of Crosby. Hurts less coming in second to that.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:26 AM
  #970
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,696
vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
That Boston series must be engraved forever on your minds...huh?
We damaged a city (figuratively speaking) over it. We're not living it down for a while.

At least TSN has moved on from bringing it up every. single. game. I feel bad for Leaf fans though.

Bourne Endeavor is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 11:27 AM
  #971
LPH
[hello] :)
 
LPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 38,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Well....me being ever the optimist will say "at least you get to see playoff hockey!!". I'm a Leaf season ticket holder and every year they say "would you like to pre-order playoff tickets?" and i laugh/cry uncontrolably.
Felt bad for laughing out loud at that one

Cool thing for any team in the playoffs, if you beat the nucks your well on your way to winning the cup seeing as the last three teams (LA, Boston, Chicago) all did

LPH is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:40 PM
  #972
Samzilla
Registered User
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,265
vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post

All of the bolded get trumped by that big silver cup thingy that Richards won last year.
In that case Aaron Rome is a better defenseman than Erik Karlsson or Shea Weber.

Samzilla is online now  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:43 PM
  #973
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
So I started the page wondering how a thread on Luongo had comparisons of Kesler and Richards...then I gave up wondering when a one off comment brought down a dozen+ posts about what the name of the Stanley Cup is, and the mutual woes of the Leafs and Canucks.

You go, Luongo thread, you go girl.

So I will go out on a limb and ask if the Wsh/Pit and NYR/NJ scouting went anywhere, even in terms of rumours and hearsay, rather then go back the last few pages to the origins of the Richards/Kesler/Cup controversy. Any news?

Cogburn is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 02:44 PM
  #974
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Felt bad for laughing out loud at that one

Cool thing for any team in the playoffs, if you beat the nucks your well on your way to winning the cup seeing as the last three teams (LA, Boston, Chicago) all did
Anaheim two years before Chicago too. And there is probably a Pittsburgh and a Detroit series I am mentally blocking out in the interm too.

Cogburn is offline  
Old
02-07-2013, 03:08 PM
  #975
Linters*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Ya, my mind was getting fuzzy, i every year when i see it presented to 1 of the other 29 teams, i have a flashback to '67!!

Even sadder....my 7 year old nephew last year asked me (seriously) how come the Leafs aren't allowed in the playoffs?
Oh my that had me laughing out loud in real life.

Linters* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.