HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Oilers should have picked Gally

Old
02-06-2013, 04:23 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista View Post
Hey guys,

I am an Oilers fan and I admire Gally's skill, vision and playing style. With his vision, grit and strong puck possession (including calmer playing style), I think he was the one Oilers most needed in their roster. Don't get me wrong, Yakupov is a great player but I think Galchenyuk has more intangibles and has defensive responsibility (plus, stronger with the puck and grittier without the puck than Yakupov). Not to mention he is a few months younger than Yakupov You guys are so lucky to have him.
You should take a look at our "shoulda" draft list... It changes every month and twice when there is a full moon. There's a one eyed hermit that has a shack on a nearby mountian. He claims to have seen a "shoulda" draft list for the Habs after a lunar eclipse. He counted 37 times before his eye fell out

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Really guys? Galchenyuk hasn't shown more upside than yakupov?? I'd take yaks 5 goals and 7 pts over galchenyuks 6 assists and 7 pts right now.

I wouldn't trade Gally for yakupov though because of what the habs organizational needs are, but to say gally has higher upside than yakupov just because of these 8 games is absurd!

He may have a better overall game, but I still think Yakupov has shown more offensive upside to this point. It might change though... gally is a special player.
Dont forget that Yakupoc is playing with Gagné and Hemsky on a pure offensive line while Galchenyuk is playing with Prust and Gallagher,, I like both at this point they bring alot to their respective teams..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Like another dude mentioned no one will regret anything if they reach their potential one will be a legendary sniper the other one a do-it-all magician. Btw yakupov is a lot more intectual than ovechkin so i dont thinkbhe will downgrade the way ovy has.

Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 04:46 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Like another dude mentioned no one will regret anything if they reach their potential one will be a legendary sniper the other one a do-it-all magician. Btw yakupov is a lot more intectual than ovechkin so i dont thinkbhe will downgrade the way ovy has.
You never know - ask 4 years ago if people thought Ovechkin was going to be playing as poorly as he's been and they'd have all said 'no way - loves the game too much', etc, etc.

To me, I've always preferred a guy who relies on smarts and vision rather than physical prowess to stand out. In the long run, you almost always win with the smarter player.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
I was on the Grigorenko train all the way up until about a week before the draft.

I like being wrong and I'm sure the OP will enjoy being wrong when Yakupov turns out to be a great player for them. It's really not about who will be better but if they can help your team win, and I think both players do that.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
playasRus

If I was the Oilers, I would've traded down to 2-4th overall and gotten a handful of extra picks only if I thought Gally would fit the team better and still develop to have equal trade value. If not, keep Yak and let him develop into a superstar then trade him for team needs in 3-4 years and be a cup contender if all goes to plan.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:14 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Really guys? Galchenyuk hasn't shown more upside than yakupov?? I'd take yaks 5 goals and 7 pts over galchenyuks 6 assists and 7 pts right now.

I wouldn't trade Gally for yakupov though because of what the habs organizational needs are, but to say gally has higher upside than yakupov just because of these 8 games is absurd!

He may have a better overall game, but I still think Yakupov has shown more offensive upside to this point. It might change though... gally is a special player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
Marc Bergevin saw Jonathan Toews grow in Chicago and he see's huge similarities in every way (work ethic, leadership, talent, professionalism, drive to win) with Galchenyuk. He mentionned the comparison yesterday at the NDG ice rink opening. Just like Chicago at the time, I think we have a great core for Gally to perfom at a high level.
I'm a Hab fan through and through backwards and forwards,so Gally is the Man.The similarities between Toews and Alex are easy to see,team player all the way just like Plekanec and Markov along with 21 others.See what I mean.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:25 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Hello sir,

Thank you for the Kudos. I don't believe anybody here underestimate the pure raw talent of Yakupov, and many also admire his youthful enthusiasm. You are lucky to have him. Yet, the prevalent opinion is very similar to yours; we feel that what Galchenyuk lacks in term of pure raw talent, he more than make up for it in term of maturity in his plays as well as overall vision/control of the play.

Although I know many who would kill to get ourselves a pure scorer winger like you scored.
What does Galchenyuk lack in terms of pure raw talent?

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:14 AM
bleed_oil

Yak is sorta like Pavel Bure. He has carried the Oilers offence as a 19 year old, rang another one of the crossbar tonight.
I see Gally as a larger (though less physical) Sam Gagner, both guys have there merit, but give me the world class sniper over the soft playmaker any day.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Yak is sorta like Pavel Bure. He has carried the Oilers offence as a 19 year old, rang another one of the crossbar tonight.
I see Gally as a larger (though less physical) Sam Gagner, both guys have there merit, but give me the world class sniper over the soft playmaker any day.
Sam Gagner??? Definitely not the right comparison.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
No evidence that Gally is soft.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Correction: Galchenyuk is Sofff.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:56 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Evidence is in watching the kid play. I dont think he is the kind of guy the Habs needed. The Habs could use some size and nastiness up front. Certainly the Oilers dont need a guy like Gally, we have enough talented but easy to play against top 6 forwards.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:57 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista View Post
Hey guys,

I am an Oilers fan and I admire Gally's skill, vision and playing style. With his vision, grit and strong puck possession (including calmer playing style), I think he was the one Oilers most needed in their roster. Don't get me wrong, Yakupov is a great player but I think Galchenyuk has more intangibles and has defensive responsibility (plus, stronger with the puck and grittier without the puck than Yakupov). Not to mention he is a few months younger than Yakupov You guys are so lucky to have him.

Oiler fan (with 3 posts) who wished we took Gally... why should I believe that?
Why dont you go post your opinion (or a link to this) over at the Oilers page?

Old
02-07-2013, 03:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
What does Galchenyuk lack in terms of pure raw talent?
Compared to Yak? Sniping and Skating I'd say

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 04:13 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Correction: Galchenyuk is Sofff.
soff playmaker

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Sniping ? Go watch some games for Chuck sake's.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:10 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
A less physical Sam Gagner? So like...a wet napkin?

Quote:
Evidence is in watching the kid play. I dont think he is the kind of guy the Habs needed. The Habs could use some size and nastiness up front. Certainly the Oilers dont need a guy like Gally, we have enough talented but easy to play against top 6 forwards.
Who, then, do you suggest we should have taken third overall? Brendan Gaunce?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
They have different approaches, different styles, and different strengths. You could just say vision and passing are areas where Galchenyuk are better than Yakupov and call it a day. But that would be incomplete, now wouldn't it?

And secondly, you said Galchenyuk lacks something in talent. He doesn't really lack anything in talent. He excels in almost every single facet of the game.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
No. You're right on that. They certainly could use an NHL defenseman.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Tom Wilson.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Yakupov is a shoot-first winger, Gally is a pass-first center.

As for the Skating it depends what you mean...
-Some (not all) reports have said Gally could work on his first-step acceleration.
-On the other hand Gally came first in the Peak Power Output Test at the NHL Combine that highly correlates with success in sprinting and short bursts of speed.
-His top speed is probably higher than Yak. Gally won the NHL Prospect R&D Camp Speed Contest.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Are people serious when they say Galchenyuk is soft or am i slow this morning ?

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
A less physical Sam Gagner? So like...a wet napkin?

You sir, made my day

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
LastRide

The Habs need Yak more than they need Gally right now. The team is full of cement hands. We need another goal scorer rather than a play maker.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote