HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Spektanto

vCash: 500
Lada Togliatti won't most likely play in the KHL next season: http://rsport.ru/hockey/20130207/643915316.html

Sounds like a rumour, I'm waiting for something more official.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:02 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektanto View Post
Lada Togliatti won't most likely play in the KHL next season: http://rsport.ru/hockey/20130207/643915316.html

Sounds like a rumour, I'm waiting for something more official.
It's unfortunate, but hardly surprising.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Faterson

The KHL could definitely help revive the Soviet, I mean the Russian space program. My worry is that this would put Barys Astana at an unfair advantage compared to all the other KHL teams, due to the presence of the world-famous Baikonur Cosmodrome in the country.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The KHL could definitely help revive the Soviet, I mean the Russian space program. My worry is that this would put Barys Astana at an unfair advantage compared to all the other KHL teams, due to the presence of the world-famous Baikonur Cosmodrome in the country.
what about new russian space base in Far East?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Faterson

This should make it possible for Amur Khabarovsk to join the NHL's South-East division, thanks to the direct connection Vostochny Cosmodrome <-> Cape Canaveral. The new local rivalry, Panthers vs. Amur, can begin. (Local in terms of the Solar System, anyway.)

Old
02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
ult

Quote:
Revive? What are you talking about? Russia is the only country that is doing manned space flights this days. I think you wanted to say that KHL will help Roscosmos to make some bucks selling tickets to American and European teams.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
This should make it possible for Amur Khabarovsk to join the NHL's South-East division, thanks to the direct connection Vostochny Cosmodrome <-> Cape Canaveral. The new local rivalry, Panthers vs. Amur, can begin. (Local in terms of the Solar System, anyway.)
And the Kontinental HL turns into the Kosmic HL. How about an exhibition game on Mars?

Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
And the Kontinental HL turns into the Kosmic HL. How about an exhibition game on Mars?
There are only illegal drones on Mars, so I'm afraid humanity has no claim over Mars yet. Moon on the other hand, I'm sure we'll see hockey teams there in the future. Seriously.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:01 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
There are only illegal drones on Mars, so I'm afraid humanity has no claim over Mars yet. Moon on the other hand, I'm sure we'll see hockey teams there in the future. Seriously.
Not until the humanity reveals the secret of artificial gravitation. Or after the each hit players would fly up to the roof of Lunar ice stadium. But I think it would make hockey games more spectacular and entertaining.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Would be among the worst, bottom 3.

But almost no KHL team makes money (if any do). They run on a sponsorship model, and need big money owners willing to run the team in the red pretty far, indefinitely. It is a different model from NA sports. Not too mention the fact that Anchorage is half the size of Khabarovsk and the logistics of the team (closest team is Khabarovsk at 4700km, compared to Khabarovsk to Moscow, already a stupid amount of distance at 6100km) this has basically 0 chance, IMO.
The gamble is that the league will start paying in 15 to 20 years. The losses they are sustaining are so insignificant in comparison to the endless resources they have. That said, some franchises don't have heavy money backers, and they will frizzle out without new funding. The KHL, at the time of its charter, planned on a number of franchises going bankrupt before a viable core of teams began to emerge. So nothing that's happening is unexpected.

Old
02-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Faterson

Quote:
Definitely, Mars and the Moon are the way to go! Ever since my childhood days, I've been a fan of the Russian sci-fi writer Kir Bulychev, and he predicted just what ult is talking about above, in this hilarious piece of dialogue from his 1971 classic Alice's Voyage (Путешествие Алисы) (click for full size):

I also remember how in another famous Bulychev novel, One Hundred Years Ahead (Сто лет тому вперёд), published in 1978, he predicts people traveling within Moscow simply by walking through a door. This image has stuck with me since my childhood days. It's exactly what the KHL would need, but it's not likely to happen within Mr. Medvedev's term of office (or indeed lifetime). I also remember how someone in that novel is sitting on a park bench and reading newspapers on something like an iPad -- I'll have to reread the novel to check that again, but it seemed absolutely incredible to me when I first read that in the 1980s, just like hockey on the Moon may seem incredible today. (At the same time, Bulychev completely failed at foreseeing such commonplace pieces of technology used today as the mobile phone, emails, or the Internet.)

Old
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
ult

So, I think we all pretty much agree that KHL should stay continental (i.e. within Eurasia borders) and NHL should actually become national (US and Canada players only)?

At least for now.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:48 PM
Faterson

I'm for a world-wide hockey league with two conferences: American and European. It's not very realistic, though. I also think players should have the freedom to play wherever they like: Europeans in America, Americans in Europe, if that's what they and the club managements wish...

Old
02-07-2013, 10:23 PM
VladNYC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Martians will never be interested in abandoning their storied local rivalries to pay attention to an artificial Martian KHL team.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Faterson

A curious tidbit: the nickname in Slovakia for the home club (Dukla Trenčín) of the Hossa brothers, Chára, Gáborík, Demitra, etc. is ufóni (the UFO people). Maybe they'd feel right at home playing on the Moon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by od71 View Post
Not until the humanity reveals the secret of artificial gravitation. Or after each hit players would fly up to the roof of Lunar ice stadium. But I think it would make hockey games more spectacular and entertaining.
I think that getting hit by Chára on the Moon would send you not to, but through the roof of the hockey arena.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

I'd much rather have any one of Tokyo, Shanghai, Seoul or Hong Kong before Anchorage be brought into play...

Old
02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
The gamble is that the league will start paying in 15 to 20 years. The losses they are sustaining are so insignificant in comparison to the endless resources they have. That said, some franchises don't have heavy money backers, and they will frizzle out without new funding. The KHL, at the time of its charter, planned on a number of franchises going bankrupt before a viable core of teams began to emerge. So nothing that's happening is unexpected.
Oh no doubt. I wasn't suggesting the model was broken or anything, just saying I don't think there is anyone in Anchorage that is willing to take that model or that Anchorage is capable of becoming one of the strong markets that will emerge later on for the KHL.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
I'm for a world-wide hockey league with two conferences: American and European. It's not very realistic, though. I also think players should have the freedom to play wherever they like: Europeans in America, Americans in Europe, if that's what they and the club managements wish...
They do.

Global hockey league isn't feasible given current global economics.

Alaska doesn't sound like a very astitute idea. Bad location and limited long-term potential. For as outlandish as ideas of franchises in Japan/China are etc, the actual upside is significantly greater than Alaska.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
What now? Slovenia? That is something new... not really. And again the talk about Russian money. Will they just stop?..

Though the only team I can think of, when I wouldn't mind it being somewhat sponsored by Russian companies is Partizan Belgrade, at least it is in Serbia, and they have a huge arena, which means there is a slight chance that some of that money will return as profit.

So please, Medvedev and Gazprom, stop throwing your(our) money in the wrong direction, ok?
Medveščak is the only one I would not be against from the Balkans. They have a big following.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Spektanto

Gdańsk has applied to join the KHL: http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20130212/644905808.html

Old
02-12-2013, 12:22 PM
russianhockey

english article from en.khl.ru: http://en.khl.ru/news/2013/02/12/25046.html

Old
02-12-2013, 12:53 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

here we are, 1st "german" club

Old
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
legionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
here we are, 1st "german" club
What is that supposed to mean?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
russianhockey

which german team?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:31 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

guys, I love history ...

sorry for sarcasm.

As I know, Gdansk was part of german monarchy/state for many centuries. Or not?

Closed Thread