Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
grN1g

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Pierre LeBrun says it's not happening anytime soon:

I was told Wednesday that the team isn’t ready to do that yet. They need to score goals and view him as part of that solution whenever he gets his game back on track.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...g-wild-changes
Basically No team view's him valuable enough to give up anything that would justify trading him, is what i read.

Pens obviously felt that way considering they traded Lovejoy for a pick.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
The problem is too many people built this kid up to be the 2nd coming of Gretzky, when he just isn't that good. It wasn't fair to the kid, and it just led to the huge letdown, when reality struck and people saw him play against NHL talent.

He is small, slow and weak. Not exactly a great recipe for NHL success. Sure his play making talents made him a star in lower leagues on larger ice, but it won't cut it here in the NHL.

I just hope he will eventually be able to hold down a 2nd line position and contribute 10g 30a per season.
I have issues with both of these statements in bold..

First off, how can you make the claim that he isn't "that good" after only watching him play 9 games? My gawd....There have been MANY good, really good, and even great players that have gotten off to slower starts than he has. A little patience please?

Secondly, he is not "slow and weak". While he's not a blazer, he definitely has NHL-calibre speed and he isn't weak either. He's over 180 lbs on a 5'10" frame. He's gotten knocked off the puck a few times, but he's going through an adjustment. I thought he looked better against Phoenix on the wing....and I think the wing is where he should stay for the time being.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Alexandrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post

First off, how can you make the claim that he isn't "that good" after only watching him play 9 games? My gawd....There have been MANY good, really good, and even great players that have gotten off to slower starts than he has. A little patience please?

Secondly, he is not "slow and weak". While he's not a blazer, he definitely has NHL-calibre speed and he isn't weak either. He's over 180 lbs on a 5'10" frame. He's gotten knocked off the puck a few times, but he's going through an adjustment. I thought he looked better against Phoenix on the wing....and I think the wing is where he should stay for the time being.
I agree. It will take time before people realize this and stop using it as an argument.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:17 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

double post

Last edited by UMD05: 02-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Someone comparing Steven Stamkos to Mikael Granlund? Saying that we should wait and then we'll see Granlund's production increase and that its simply a matter of time before he'll be amongst the elite players in the league?!?!

Really? Care to make a wager?

Right now, I think Granlund will be lucky if he can keep a roster spot on the Wild for the entire season. He's not just demonstrating that he may not be the next elite player, but that he may not even be NHL ready yet.

Stamkos' talents far exceed Granlund's; and his skillset IMO translated to a far better chance at being a success in the NHL than Granlund's...just sayin'.
If elite players like Stamkos and Thornton could struggle mightily heading into the NHL, Granlund can too. Doesn't mean he's at their level, just means that anybody could struggle in the NHL. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Remember Fabian Brunnstrom? Scored a hatty in his first game coming over from Europe? How well did that work out?

Absolutely NOTHING is guaranteed one way or the other. It takes time and games to really judge a player.

And I'd be careful about gloating considering your thoughts on Brodin post-draft.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Dee Oh Cee

I fail to remember anyone saying he'd be Gretzky-like in the first place. Sure, many of us thought he'd be doing a little bit better than he is now, but in no way shape or form is it time to make judgments on him as an NHL player.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:10 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

A huge problem here (and probably in general) is people seem to think not being fast = slow. This completely glosses over all the players somewhere in between.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Dampland
Heavily Moderated

vCash: 528
Quote:

When I say he isn't that good, I meant relative to people thinking he is the next Gretzky...Savior of the Wild, this whole "Finnish Baby Jesus" crap. You people put him up on such a high pedestal, that he had no chance at ever living up to.

He won't be a superstar as so many wanted. but hopefully if he can add strength, and find a way to add some speed, he will be a useable 2nd liner.

I don't hate the kid, and would love it if he turned into the next Martin St. Louis, but I just do not see it ever happening. So I'm not actually upset with his performances thru 9 games, because unlike the majority of you, I never predicted him to have much success.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Put Granny with Parise and Koivu for 3-5 games and I guarantee he will score the most points of the three. And they will score a truck load.

Not the most of the 3..but he would succeed. Ive been lobbying for this for a long time now.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:10 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Looks like some other rookie is getting the 1st line gig... after one game.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:13 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post
I think some of it has to do with the fact that Coyle has some size and is a right handed shot, to go along with his skill.

Old
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Not the most of the 3..but he would succeed. Ive been lobbying for this for a long time now.
It probably should've been the move before calling up Coyle. If he still continued to struggle, then the next move would've been to drop Granlund down to Houston and bring Coyle/Zucker up.

Old
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Justice View Post

Thats what irks me off a bit. Love Coyle though so not complaining I guess. Just curious what Granlund would do with that given to him on a silver platter.

Too bad Mig64 isn't right handed I guess.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
It probably should've been the move before calling up Coyle. If he still continued to struggle, then the next move would've been to drop Granlund down to Houston and bring Coyle/Zucker up.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think some of it has to do with the fact that Coyle has some size and is a right handed shot, to go along with his skill.
Definetely both reasons.

I think it was Jarick in another post(can't find it) that added it has to do with his puck possession down low.

I think Granlund is better than what he's shown in that area and playing with a big center like Koivu creating space would only help him.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Granlund 64

I just hope they continue to play him at wing whenever he's in the lineup. Others have pointed out he's had his greatest successes there and I believe it's where he fits best in the NHL.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Temego

Well this probably does wonders to Granlund's already bad confidence. Give him a wake-up call by slotting him in the 4th line, and when he wakes up, drop him from the lineup and let Setoguchi who didnt do dick last game play.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

If being scratched one game destroys Granlund's confidence as much as some people think it will, then Granlund shouldn't be in the NHL.

That said I really really don't think this is going to hurt him at all.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

http://www.startribune.com/sports/bl...sos_Rants.html

Quote:
This is just part of the development process for Granlund, who for the first time probably in his career is dealing with not being able to do exactly what he wants to do on the ice.

“I just need to be better. This is a tough league. All the best players in the world,” Granlund, 20, said. “[Being scratched is] not a place you want to me. You want to play every game. I think every player wants to play. All I can do now is work hard and try to get better.

“This is my first year here. I know now what kind of game it is. I just have to be better.

“This is a tough league. It’s not easy to play. It wasn’t easy to play in Europe, too. But here it’s more different. – better players, [less] ice. All I can do is work hard.

“That’s the biggest thing here. You don’t have that much space. You have to battle hard. There’s a lot of one-on-one battles. I know what it’s like now here and I just have to work on that on the ice.”

Yeo said they’ll keep an eye on Granlund’s confidence, but “I think it’s good for young players to have to work for everything that they get. Not to say that he hasn’t, but he’s never had to push through something like this. These kind of things make you stronger. And that’s what we want around here.”

Yeo did feel Granlund responded well by being put on the fourth line and playing wing at Phoenix, but by playing a few “less than average games,” he put himself in this position as well.

“It’s a learning process for him and one that we have to make sure we work with him every day and try to help him through.”

Old
02-07-2013, 01:04 PM
WILDTATE10

Definitly makes 0 sense to me as well. Puts on fourth line to try to light a fire under him. Goes on to play his best game. Next game comes... We're gonna sit you for a useless guy named Mike Rupp and many others that have played as bad or worse

Yea says he wants young players to work for what they get yet Coyle gets instantly put on the 1st line and put in a great situation. Now I love Coyle and I hope he takes advantage of it. I'm just sayin

Last edited by WILDTATE10: 02-07-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old
02-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
Definitly makes 0 sense to me as well. Puts on fourth line to try to light a fire under him. Goes on to play his best game. Next game comes... We're gonna sit you for a useless guy named Mike Rupp and many others that have played as bad or worse
This.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I'm guessing they explained the situation to him a little better than just leaving a note in his locker. A little odd, yes, but I don't see this as some sort of huge detriment to his confidence.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDTATE10 View Post
Yea says he wants young players to work for what they get yet Coyle gets instantly put on the 1st line and put in a great situation.
Yeah, I wouldn't have said that at this point if I were Yeo. I agree with what he said, but when his lineup says something else, it's a little awkward.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't have said that at this point if I were Yeo. I agree with what he said, but when his lineup says something else, it's a little awkward.
Technically Coyle was instantly put on the 2nd line, just as Granlund was. I think his ascent to the top line is more a "playing style fit" than anything else.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Indeed. This would be a completely acceptable bump on the road for Granlund if not for the situation Coyle is in. MG's struggled for several nights, trying to find his game playing with guys who are clearly no natural match for him. And now, Coyle immediately gets set up with the two best players of the team, ones you'd have to work really hard to fail with.

Add on top the fact that he got a callup before Zucker who's been putting up a better numbers in Houston and you can't help getting slight vibes that someone's getting a preferential treatment.

Of course, if this turns the Wild a better team that's actually going to start winning games, I guess it'll all be okay in the end.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Yeo has said it himself that he doesn't like to number the lines.

Closed Thread