HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals: Version IV - Kings & Rangers are low..trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If Kuznetsov wouldn't come to the Caps when they had Ovie,Semin, Varlamov he definitely won't come to the Leafs.

They pretty much wasted that draft pick.

Tarasenko was a rare case.
I was under the impression that he told the Caps he was coming over in 2014. At least that's the impression I got from reading the Caps board a while back.

If Kuznetsov is a lost cause then it has to be Carlson + Marcus Johansson or Carlson + their 1st.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Yea, I don't see the Wild being too interested to acquire him. Maybe Colorado would be interested if ROR can't be locked from their side.

ROR + Siemens + 2nd/3rd for Kessel would be a deal I would have to really think about.
I really dont see much interest in this but would like something around Radar for sure.

02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Oh I am just saying in general. Not pointing to anyone lol. Pretty much as soon as he starts going on a goal streak, he'll be close to untouchable.
I think Kessel is a core player and is unlikely to be traded and as far as Vancouver trading Schneider, they are still way more likely to trade Luongo and his contract, Schneider has just been signed long term and will be their Goal tender going forward.

Kessel is a little snake bitten at the moment but there are a lot of goal scorers having a similar problem and I'm sure he misses Lupul on the other wing, he is getting his chances but the puck is just not finding the back of the net however he could break out at any time and score a ton of goals.

Even though Nonis has said there are no untouchables, Kessel and Phanuef would be pretty safe and if they were moved it would be for a very big return and one that the GM couldn't ignore.

I think the next trade will be Steckel to Edmonton for a draft choice but it could be expanded to include a defenceman that Edmonton is also looking for.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup

If we are out of it come the deadline this is what i would LOVE to see in order to rebuild.

TOR: RoR + retain 1.5M salary from Grabo
COL: Grabovski

TOR: Bennett + 1st
PIT: Kulemin

TOR: 1st
CHI: Bozak

TOR: 2nd
STL: MacA

TOR: 4th
VAN: Steckel

TOR: 4th
DET: Koska

This will give us 3 x 1st rounders in a deep draft, a true 2nd line C with upside and a variety of picks that Nonis can swing for the fences with.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:14 AM
ChuckWoods

This Kessel scenario is going to be interesting to say the least.

Phil has enjoyed his time in Toronto but it was clear when Nonis took over that he was no longer in a position where he felt "untouchable".

Teams that are expected to call and at least kick tires are rumoured to be the likes of; Colorado, Los Angeles, Columbus, Detroit, Calgary and Anaheim.

IF Nonis were to move him, you can be assured that it would be preferred to a Western Conference team, but that wont stop teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Washington from taking a run at Phil as well.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 02-07-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old
02-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Alklha

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If Kuznetsov wouldn't come to the Caps when they had Ovie,Semin, Varlamov he definitely won't come to the Leafs.

They pretty much wasted that draft pick.

Tarasenko was a rare case.
Kuznetsov made a mistake signing a 2 year extension in the KHL, we can only speculate as to why he done it... but he seems to see it as a mistake as well now. He'll be in the NHL in 2014.

Not sure what you mean by Tarasenko being a rare case; that he came over? What players who have been taken in the first could of rounds in recent years have not come over? There really isn't much of a risk taking quality Russian players.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post

Phil has enjoyed his time in Toronto but it was clear when Nonis took over that he was no longer in a position where he felt "untouchable".

Teams that are expected to call and at least kick tires are rumoured to be the likes of; Colorado, Los Angeles, Columbus, Detroit, Calgary and Anaheim.

IF Nonis were to move him, you can be assured that it would be preferred to a Western Conference team, but that wont stop teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Washington from taking a run at Phil as well.
any idea if nonis is keen on moving kessel for sure or if he is just entertaining discussions?

i think colorado would make the most sense given team needs and also possible pieces coming back.

any idea of what nonis would want back from each team? id have to think it would be substantial.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Defense

To me it doesn't make sense to trade Kessel unless Nonis doesn't expect us to make the playoffs. Kessel hasn't been the clutch go to guy in the last 10 so right now wouldn't his trade value be a bit low?

The only reason I can see Nonis entertaining offers, is that he doesn't expect Kessel to resign in Toronto after next season. Thats the only reason. Unless he has an offer on the table and is just testing the market to see if anyone has a better deal for him. But if this was the case then the trade rumblings would be a lot worst.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
any idea if nonis is keen on moving kessel for sure or if he is just entertaining discussions?

i think colorado would make the most sense given team needs and also possible pieces coming back.

any idea of what nonis would want back from each team? id have to think it would be substantial.
For the first time since Kessel's arrival, Toronto is listening.

Nonis isn't "keen" on moving him, but he's certainly open to it if the right team/deal presents itself.

Dave believes this team is much further away than Brian Burke envisioned it and he'll make moves to represent that belief.

Nobody is safe at this point and we could very well see a significant shake up if this team hovers in the 8th/9th spot or less.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
pspot

Quote:

Nonis isn't "keen" on moving him, but he's certainly open to it if the right team/deal presents itself.

Dave believes this team is much further away than Brian Burke envisioned it and he'll make moves to represent that belief.

Nobody is safe at this point and we could very well see a significant shake up if this team hovers in the 8th/9th spot or less.
nice, as it should be

I'm still dreaming of two top 5 picks in this draft
Kessel to Islander for their 1st and Neideriter

Old
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:

I think its safe to assume that COL would have no problems parting with ROR for Kessel?

COL is the most interesting for me. There would be 2 different trades I'd be interested in and only 1 I think would impress avs fans

Kessel for:

ROR + 1st 2013

or

M. Duchene.

Ethier would have me happy. Ofcourse I am not pushing Kessel out nor is Leaf management (atleast we should believe that) and he is my favourite player but the Leafs need to win and improve.

Old
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Nice to see that Nonis recognizes the team for what truly is.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
NigelTufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob8hockey View Post
I think its safe to assume that COL would have no problems parting with ROR for Kessel?

COL is the most interesting for me. There would be 2 different trades I'd be interested in and only 1 I think would impress avs fans

Kessel for:

ROR + 1st 2013

or

M. Duchene.

Ethier would have me happy. Ofcourse I am not pushing Kessel out nor is Leaf management (atleast we should believe that) and he is my favourite player but the Leafs need to win and improve.
This is the one that I keep coming back to. It just seems to make a lot of sense for both teams.

COL gets a young, dynamic winger to play with either Duchene or Statsny, depending on the chemistry and because they're so deep at centre they can afford to move ROR.

We get a young, defensively responsible centre, who I think is ready to break out. I love the idea of having ROR and Kadri at centre going forward.

Plus we'd get another first rounder, that plus our own would go a long way to giving us a more enviable prospect pool.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Nice to see that Nonis recognizes the team for what truly is.
I think Burke realized it too.

The risk was that he was choosing to ignore it because his job was going to be on the line.

Putting Nonis in charge is going to allow him to make moves for the long run and not for a playoff push.

We really are in between, we've got some good pieces, and Kessel is really the only "great" player that we have.

The best move might be to move some of the good ones and try and get some picks or players that are or will be "great". Pieces like Phaneuf, Liles, Grabo all could net a pretty good return. Along with some expiring contracts in Bozak, MacArthur and even Franson.

It will be interesting to see what direction Nonis goes.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelTufnel View Post
This is the one that I keep coming back to. It just seems to make a lot of sense for both teams.

COL gets a young, dynamic winger to play with either Duchene or Statsny, depending on the chemistry and because they're so deep at centre they can afford to move ROR.

We get a young, defensively responsible centre, who I think is ready to break out. I love the idea of having ROR and Kadri at centre going forward.

Plus we'd get another first rounder, that plus our own would go a long way to giving us a more enviable prospect pool.
Yup, and it just makes even more sense with the contract issues between the two right now. Perfect trade for the Leafs. COL gets the better player but the Leafs will improve from this deal too.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
topched

Quote:
Yup, and it just makes even more sense with the contract issues between the two right now. Perfect trade for the Leafs. COL gets the better player but the Leafs will improve from this deal too.
There's one hang-up.

No way Col gives up ROR AND a 1st for 1 year of Kessel. (Or 1 year + 15 games lets say).

Kessel would have to be extended.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
There's one hang-up.

No way Col gives up ROR AND a 1st for 1 year of Kessel. (Or 1 year + 15 games lets say).

Why wouldn't they?

Its not like ROR is on a nice cushy contract himself.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
calcal798

Quote:

Thanks for the info Chuck, very good news to my ears.

I completely agree with Nonis that this team is further then Burke thought. I for one think that trading Kessel could be a situation were we have a temporary loss this year and next year, but a gain that will come in future years.

It'd start but us getting the assets for him, and also being able to finish in the bottom five again to add two to three high quality players (one or two via Kessel trade and one via draft).

A few people posted it, but maybe with the ROR situation a deal around ROR + 1st 2013 could work?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:48 AM
NigelTufnel

Quote:
Agreed. And even though Kessel might be the better player right now, I think ROR would be the better fit for our team.

JVR - ROR - Lupul looks like a pretty nice line to me.

Then we would just have to hope Colorado tanks and we get a lottery pick

Old
02-07-2013, 10:48 AM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
There's one hang-up.

Add a conditional second round pick in 2014 if he doesn't resign?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Budsfan

Nonis is saying the Leafs are open for business and there are no untouchables and I'm sure he will look at all proposals but as Chuck is saying and I agree, if Kessel is moved, it would most likely be to a western team.

There are some interesting player names being bandied about, most noteable being Getzlaf and Perry in Anaheim.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:51 AM
topched

Quote:
Why wouldn't they?

Its not like ROR is on a nice cushy contract himself.
Yeah but ROR has 6 years left of club control. Plus you factor in the 1st rounder. Colorado's giving up 6 years of ROR and potentially 10 years of a first round pick for 100 games of Phil Kessel.

That would be an even better haul than a 21 year old Kessel got from Boston and that was with the extension. That would be a franchise crippling trade if Kessel decides to go to the highest bidder after next year. Because even with Kessel, Colorado isn't a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
Add a conditional second round pick in 2014 if he doesn't resign?
That's still pretty brutal for Colorado.

It's not like there would be an issue negotiating an extension. Kessel did it once before when he came here.

They can't cripple their franchise for one year of Kessel. They're not contenders even with Kessel.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
A few people posted it, but maybe with the ROR situation a deal around ROR + 1st 2013 could work?
The only issue I see with this is that we may get a better return in terms of "potential" elsewhere.

Sending Kessel to Colorado immediately makes them a better team, thus weakens that 1st round picks value.

Ontop of that, ROR isn't exactly a proven commodity, nor does he have the raw talent that someone may be willing to give up for an established YOUNG player like Phil Kessel is.

Phil is only 25 years old and has has 30 goal seasons the past 4 years, and his last year he established himself at a PPG clip.

This can certainly garner more than ROR and a 1st.

If that is the only type of offer on the market, then Nonis is probably better off holding onto Phil Kessel as he can still be a building piece for this team considering Phil is the type of piece every playoff/contending team desires or needs at some point to put them over the hump.

If it wasn't for this lockout and Phil Kessel put up a 5th straight 30 goal season, that statistic would be in some pretty impressive company.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
BertCorbeau
Yelling at clouds

Quote:
The only issue I see with this is that we may get a better return in terms of "potential" elsewhere.

Sending Kessel to Colorado immediately makes them a better team, thus weakens that 1st round picks value.

Ontop of that, ROR isn't exactly a proven commodity, nor does he have the raw talent that someone may be willing to give up for an established YOUNG player like Phil Kessel is.

Phil is only 25 years old and has has 30 goal seasons the past 4 years, and his last year he established himself at a PPG clip.

This can certainly garner more than ROR and a 1st.

If that is the only type of offer on the market, then Nonis is probably better off holding onto Phil Kessel as he can still be a building piece for this team considering Phil is the type of piece every playoff/contending team desires or needs at some point to put them over the hump.

If it wasn't for this lockout and Phil Kessel put up a 5th straight 30 goal season, that statistic would be in some pretty impressive company.
The question begs, which team is looking for that "gamebreaker" to take them to the next level? Moreover which team has the viable assets the Leafs are looking for?

I was initially thinking St Louis, but with the emergence of Tarasenko I don't see them being interested .. Nashville perhaps, but do they have the pieces? Minnesota is interesting but I don't know if they're necessarily looking..

Old
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

We are not shopping Kessel, we are listening to offers for him. Which means he will get moved if we get a great offer. Not a massive overpayment, but a great deal for us.

ROR for Kessel is the kind of deal you do if you really wanna move Kessel for sure. Even then, I think we can get something more.

ROR + 1st is the bare minimum it would take in the case we are talking about. You can use all the logic to explain why it wouldn't be great for Colorado, but that's the minimum it will take for us to consider moving him.

Closed Thread