HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Lose 2-1

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
It's been a fact for about 15 years now.
Doubt Eller, Galchenyuk, DD have anything to do with what happened in the last 10/15 years...

Old
02-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Goes to show you, I think center is actually our BEST position as far as depth is concerned.
That's like having 3 ok goaltenders in your system and none that are great. You can say there is depth, but not in top end quality. There aren't a lot of teams that would even entertain having a 5 foot 6 featherweight with average faceoff skills as their number one centre. That's a huge red flag for this team.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Doubt Eller, Galchenyuk, DD have anything to do with what happened in the last 10/15 years...
No, but Koivu was certainly the problem for all those years. It's a shame fans weren't able to chase him out of town sooner, after all he squandered such a fantastic supporting cast.

Only 72 points playing with Richard Zednik? What a bum!

Old
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Kylington
Slim Shady

So much kids complaining in here, we played extremely well against one of the best if not the best team in the league... if we will just get enough confidence to score at our chances we will do well i think. there was a lot of positive things in this game, stop looking at the negative ****. they had a goalie on top of his game yesterday too. we could have won 3-0 instead, we'll get them next time, just stop complaining about nonsense **** that doesn't make any ****ing sense.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
It's basics. Old management couldn't find that big centre so they put lipstick on these pigs and called them good enough. For a decade the fans called Koivu a "good #2" centre even as he worked his ass off as #1, and as true as that was, DD isn't good enough to wash Saku's game-worn undergarments.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
That's like having 3 ok goaltenders in your system and none that are great. You can say there is depth, but not in top end quality. There aren't a lot of teams that would even entertain having a 5 foot 6 featherweight with average faceoff skills as their number one centre. That's a huge red flag for this team.
Considering our number centre is Pleks, we don't either.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
You can only play one goaltender, so your starter is matters a lot and your backup very little.

You need 4 centers to play each game though. Having a number of decent ones is a winning strategy.

And Desharnais is the 2nd center. Plekanec is the 1st. And he is heavily outchancing the opposition while playing shutdown minutes this year, like he always does with a proper supporting cast.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedba View Post
So much kids complaining in here, we played extremely well against one of the best if not the best team in the league... if we will just get enough confidence to score at our chances we will do well i think. there was a lot of positive things in this game, stop looking at the negative ****. they had a goalie on top of his game yesterday too. we could have won 3-0 instead, we'll get them next time, just stop complaining about nonsense **** that doesn't make any ****ing sense.
I get why people are emotional, losing to the Bruins always pisses me off, but you'd think we have last years record the way many responses are here.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:36 AM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I get why people are emotional, losing to the Bruins always pisses me off, but you'd think we have last years record the way many responses are here.
no kidding, totally agree.
I'd take a 6-3 record out of our first 9 games, 10 times out of 10. No need to press the panic button on every loss, especially last nights game

Old
02-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Considering our number centre is Pleks, we don't either.
1a , 1b, tomatoe tomahto. Centre is the largest upgrade priority for this team any way you slice it.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
You can only play one goaltender, so your starter is matters a lot and your backup very little.

You need 4 centers to play each game though. Having a number of decent ones is a winning strategy.

And Desharnais is the 2nd center. Plekanec is the 1st. And he is heavily outchancing the opposition while playing shutdown minutes this year, like he always does with a proper supporting cast.
If anything there's a good case study right now on what happens if you bet everything on one elite line doing everything for you - the Rangers.

And calling Desharnais a 1C is like calling Krejci a 1C. By that logic, Boston won the cup with a well below average 1C.

Quote:
1a , 1b, tomatoe tomahto. Centre is the largest upgrade priority for this team any way you slice it.
And that's why we drafted Galchenyuk. Though that doesn't solve the problem that our wingers are not very good.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
no kidding, totally agree.
I'd take a 6-3 record out of our first 9 games, 10 times out of 10. No need to press the panic button on every loss, especially last nights game
Fair enough, but the team has played 7 of 9 at home. You know that the rink will be tilting uphill against the Habs soon so it's exactly at these moments when lost points become relevant to securing a playoff spot.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Yes, if only we had some means of acquiring a big, skilled centre, like if we had landed the third overall pick in the draft or something. Then we could really address that need, instead of, you know, not having addressed that need.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Thought I'd wait a day - My take-away from the game last night as a Bruins fan.

It's nice to see that your team is playing more classic hi-tempo Habs style game again and that your team is finding its identity once again. And that we get to watch our teams play such different styles. I'm actually glad there wasn't any drama last night and the teams just played. We'll still get enough of that so the odd game without as much bad blood is fine.

We are all going to watch a lot of Price vs. Rask showdowns over the next decade. Been figuring that was coming for years but back then I also thought that Pogge would be the 3rd young star goalie in the division so there goes my prognostication skills.

From what I've seen of your team this year, watched a few periods but last night was the 1st full game - is that your team's strengths and weaknesses are related to one another. Your offence seems to need that first smooth pass from your d., which they're excellent at, but it seemed as if the Bruins adjusted and if a team can forecheck or pressure your d-men they get a bit lost. Might be because your forwards don't seem to drop back as much.

The other is that your team seems way more suited for attacking through the middle of the ice. The Bruins are a very good puck pursuit team and pretty tough and it seemed most of the time you guys had to go up the boards as compared to the middle of the ice Boston would be able to rub the player out, limit options, and get the puck back and turn it right back into your zone.

Your bloody power play is back at it, eh. Looked dangerous all game - and that's against the best penalty killing team in the NHL.
Great contribution. The bolded part is the reason why Markov had a bad game.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Yes, if only we had some means of acquiring a big, skilled centre, like if we had landed the third overall pick in the draft or something. Then we could really address that need, instead of, you know, not having addressed that need.
We are discussing where the needs of the team are, present tense, after a loss to the Bruins, not where the needs of the team will be in 3 years (as if that's even predictable).

Old
02-07-2013, 11:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
We are discussing where the needs of the team are, present tense, after a loss to the Bruins, not where the needs of the team will be in 3 years (as if that's even predictable).
So what's the point in selling the farm to get a big top-six centre when you're acknowledging that we have one waiting in the wings?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Et le But

Quote:
So what's the point in selling the farm to get a big top-six centre when you're acknowledging that we have one waiting in the wings?
Because trading half our top 6 and multiple draft picks for Getzlaf will give us new thins to complain about in a few years when we have great (and more importantly, tall!) centers and nothing else?

Old
02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I would not ever sell the farm, but can't we do better than DD?
If not, then yeah lets wait for it all to play out over 3-5 years and see what happens. I am still of the view the team is looking at that timeline to become sustainably competitive anyway.

But this is the Bruins post mortem, not a discussion about the cure for the disease that killed the patient.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
smack66

Just wanted to say thanks to Habs fans at last nights game. Went to the game in full Bruins gear and my buddy was in his Habs gear. Had some good natured fun with those sitting around us.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:59 AM
BigHab*

What is pathetic is the people on here who somehow have this dream that Plekenac is that great center the Habs have been searching for all these years. Sure he can pot a few goals and add a few assists but he is not the go-to guy that fans on here seem to think he is....that is absolutely pathetic thinking! If anything, he is the one with one of the highest returns in a trade and Bergevin needs to pull the trigger on it. I cringe every time I see him on a full or partial break wondering in what new way he will screw the opportunity up....he didn't fail last night either! To you people who seem to think he is all that...get your head out of your @#*@#....aint gonna get to the mountain top with him leading the team!

Just as pathetic are the many here who have settled for anything less than winning. Of course, I guess that is just what so many players have done. "We'll win next time!" Really? Wish you had of sat beside the Pocket Rocket after a loss and said those words out loud...he would bashed your freaki' head in! I suppose that's the difference between the Habs and their fans back then and the imposters of today!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to Habs fans at last nights game. Went to the game in full Bruins gear and my buddy was in his Habs gear. Had some good natured fun with those sitting around us.
I hope you weren't the guy they showed on TSN who practically shoved the B of his bruins jersey into the Habs fan face.

It would have taken all I had in me to not make him wear the beer he was clenching in his hand.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
What is pathetic is the people on here who somehow have this dream that Plekenac is that great center the Habs have been searching for all these years. Sure he can pot a few goals and add a few assists but he is not the go-to guy that fans on here seem to think he is....that is absolutely pathetic thinking! If anything, he is the one with one of the highest returns in a trade and Bergevin needs to pull the trigger on it. I cringe every time I see him on a full or partial break wondering in what new way he will screw the opportunity up....he didn't fail last night either! To you people who seem to think he is all that...get your head out of your @#*@#....aint gonna get to the mountain top with him leading the team!

Just as pathetic are the many here who have settled for anything less than winning. Of course, I guess that is just what so many players have done. "We'll win next time!" Really? Wish you had of sat beside the Pocket Rocket after a loss and said those words out loud...he would bashed your freaki' head in! I suppose that's the difference between the Habs and their fans back then and the imposters of today!
I highly doubt you will get many people arguing that he is the one we have been searching for

Old
02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

If in two or three years, we have a centre line of Galchenyuk-Eller(At his peak)-Plekanec-4th line plug, we'll have a good centre line. We'll need some wingers though.

Old
02-07-2013, 12:58 PM
Kylington
Slim Shady

Quote:

cool story. with you as coach we'd win every game!

Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Except nobody ever said that Plekanec can carry a team. We've said Plekanec is the kind of player you want to have because he does a little bit of everything, we've said (with numbers to back it up) that he's outplayed his competition most of the time out there so far this season, but please find me a quote where anyone says Plekanec is "all that" or a player who will carry us the the cup. You can never have too many high end two way players, but that doesn't mean they have to do everything themselves. This is a team sport.

And as far as not being satisfied by anything less than winning...yes, the point of the game is to win, but you got to be realistic. This isn't the 1960s anymore.

Closed Thread