HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It'll be Bylsma.
Yes I share your mother's skepticism about Housley.

Bylsma will get the nod. He's the man. The real thing is, who's going to be the GM? Maybe Burke, Poile or Shero???

If Housley get's a new gig somewhere I think he might be lined up for 2018 though.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Don't worry, we will go over there and spoil the fun with an all north american final.

again.
That's it Serge. It's on. The US will come entering the rink to the tune of Beverley Hills Cop, as to respond to your username.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:08 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Yes I share your mother's skepticism about Housley.

Bylsma will get the nod. He's the man. The real thing is, who's going to be the GM? Maybe Burke, Poile or Shero???

If Housley get's a new gig somewhere I think he might be lined up for 2018 though.
Considering Burke is currently out of work I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
A Canadian's attempt at an American roster.

Zach Parise - Joe Pavelski - Patrick Kane
Bobby Ryan - Ryan Kesler - Jason Pominville
Max Pacioretty - David Backes - Phil Kessel
Dustin Brown - Paul Stastny - Ryan Callahan
TJ Oshie

Ryan Suter - Kevin Shattenkirk
John Carlson - Ryan McDonough
Keith Yandle - Erik Johnson
Cam Fowler

Quick/Miller
Schneider

I started by typing out guys that should definitely be in the top 6. I came up with 7 names, but also realized something.

1. The US has a ton of scoring wingers, not a ton of pass-first players, especially centers. I would have loved a chance to put Kesler on the wing, where his skills are better suited on a stacked team like this, but then that would leave on Pavelski as a natural center and a guy like Ryan, Kane or Parise would have to play there.

2. Phil Kessel is probably the least versatile "star" player in the league, and that it why I left him out of the top 6. I had a hard time finding 2 other players that made me say "that would make a good line". If he is hot going into the olympics, you gotta stick him on the top line. If he's not, is it even worth taking him overseas?

Defence was hard to pick. Not as much high-end talent as the Canadians, but a lot of solid players, especially great skaters. Tried to pair offensive first guys with partners that could cover them, which made it hard to fit Fowler into the top 6.

Quick or Miller in net, can't go wrong. Who ever is playing the best going in I guess.
Considering Allen was signed to cover Fowler and it's been a role reversal with Fowler playing double D to cover for Allen's dunderheaded mistakes, I'm gonna go ahead and say that come November-December, Cam won't need someone to cover him.

Don't get me wrong, if Fowler gets left out there will certainly be justifiable cause, but if USA wants mobility and two way play (something I'm happy to finally be able to brag about) Cam is certainly up to the task. Even if just as the 6th defender.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Considering Burke is currently out of work I don't see that happening.
Understandable, but it might work in his favor. I guess if he's still the up on his game it might affect the situation. However I'm not sure that will go into the decision making. With the job he and Wilson did together on the last team it wouldn't surprise me if he was under consideration. Then again they always looked to the employed first.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Team USA 2014

Parise (A) - Kesler - Kane
Oshie - Backes - Pavelski*
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Brown - Stepan - Callahan
Pacioretty

McDonagh - Suter (A)*
Yandle - E. Johnson
J. Johnson (C) - Bogosian
Byfuglien

Quick
Miller
Schneider

Jack Johnson is captain.

*Oshie - Backes - Pavelski plays vs the opponent's top lines
I really like this lineup. The only changes I might make are Faulk for Bogosian and I'd probably consider that second line the third line and vice versa.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:14 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

JVR is not an Olympic level athlete. He has the potential and skills to be one but he's not and probably won't be. Only reason he's in the discussion is because there aren't nearly as many skilled American players as there are Canadian. He wouldn't be an afterthought on that team.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:21 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Booth, Gilbert

Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
JVR is not an Olympic level athlete. He has the potential and skills to be one but he's not and probably won't be. Only reason he's in the discussion is because there aren't nearly as many skilled American players as there are Canadian. He wouldn't be an afterthought on that team.
Were you singing the same tune before the Schenn trade?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Seth Jones may get a look, too, no?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:26 AM
FilthyNote*

I understand the positions (LW C RW / LD RD) might not all line up but here is who I pick....

Possible forwards

Kane
Parise
Kessel
Backes
Bobby Ryan
Pavelski
Pacioretty
Kesler
Oshie
Stastny
Galchenyuk
Okposo

Possible d-men

Suter
Yandle
Jack Johnson
Orpik
Carlson
Shattenkirk
Byfuglien
Erik Johnson

Possible goaltenders:

Quick
Anderson
Schneider
RESERVE: Miller

Old
02-07-2013, 01:28 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
First off, I invite Seth Jones to camp, I have feeling he will impress there and he plays up to talent in his past history. He also has excelled to an even greater degree in his career thus far at International big ice competitions.

The second thing being if Ryan pans out as a center that really changes the top 6, I am pretty much inclined to leave the current version of Stastny at home barring a turnaround in his play. With that said it won't happen and for another big reason he is almost a must bring, in his favor though is we will need a left handed draw taker. Pavelski, Ryan, Backes, and Kesler are all right handed. It does make it interesting when you look at how this sets up, the USA is overrun with right handed options up front.

I also don't see where Yandle fits at all. He isn't great defensively and only plays the left side. Unfortunately for him so do Suter and McDonagh. Jack Johnson and Erik Johnson both have Olympic experience, and skate very well for big imposing guys that can clear the crease. As far as looking at Yandle I don't see JMFJ staying at home, heck he is a dark horse for me to wear a letter on this team. So even if you bring him for his PP prowess he is in an all out fight with guys like Fowler and Byfuglien. He absolutely loses to Byfuglien in this regard and the fact Byfuglien is a righty makes it an even bigger deal. Fowler is already better than him defensively and I would take him over Yandle in my opinion.

Now can Fowler or Jack Johnson play the right?

Taking a stay at home guy like Carlson, Orpik, Scuderi, Gleason is also interesting especially for the pk. Bogosian is also interesting when he gets back to see if he plays like he did last year.

Parise - Kesler - Kane
Ryan - Stastny - Kessel
Pacioretty - Backes - Pominville
Brown - Pavelski - Callahan
Oshie or JVR

Suter - Shattenkirk
McDonagh - Carlson
Jack Johnson - Erik Johnson
Byfuglien

Quick
Miller
Howard

I really think Shattnkirk will play well with either one of the top two. Especially with the way Suter wheelhouses his partners shot, I think their games would fit well together.I forget right now if IIHF allows you to dress all those guys for the Olympics like they do in the WJC. I just think it is important for guys to be in the right roles on each line. If you cannot dress Byfuglien Pavelski is still a great option for the point on the second PP unit. The PK of Suter - EJ and McDonagh - Carlson is very good. Yandle brings lots of offense but little else, I think he gets squeezed out when they get into the actual team roles and building this to be the best possible lineup. Jones making this team helps in a big way because he is righthanded and can play in all situations also, I really do hope they give him a chance.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:30 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Were you singing the same tune before the Schenn trade?
Yes I was. You saw firsthand what he did to the Sabres in 2011, and it was amazing. He never lived up to that potential before or after though. I know he's doing well in Toronto but he's not taking over games like he did in those playoffs.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:34 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Unless I did my math incorrectly, Pominville's the 4th highest scorer among eligible Americans over the past 2.25 seasons. Is he really a tweener?

Old
02-07-2013, 01:39 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Unless I did my math incorrectly, Pominville's the 4th highest scorer among eligible Americans over the past 2.25 seasons. Is he really a tweener?
He should absolutely be on this team, especially since our centerman are primarily trigger guys. He basically can become the big setup guy on the third line. He doesn't bump Kane or Kessel from the top six though on the right side.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
It's funny. I 've heard of some questioning if he should even play for Team USA.

The guy's a born leader though and in a short tournament, you need a guy who bleeds your country's colors. Kind of like Peter Forsberg I guess..
Those questioning whether Parise should play or not are bitter Devils fans who are mad that he ditched them this past offseason for Minnesota.

I never really thought of JJ being team captain, but I never really played CLOSE attention to USA hockey. I was always for David Backes being captain. But now that I think of it, Jack Johnson would be a great captain. Honestly, there are a few choices (Suter, Parise, JJ, Backes, Brown) and no one can really be mad at who gets it over someone else. Plenty of leadership on team USA.

Old
02-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
Those questioning whether Parise should play or not are bitter Devils fans who are mad that he ditched them this past offseason for Minnesota.

I never really thought of JJ being team captain, but I never really played CLOSE attention to USA hockey. I was always for David Backes being captain. But now that I think of it, Jack Johnson would be a great captain. Honestly, there are a few choices (Suter, Parise, JJ, Backes, Brown) and no one can really be mad at who gets it over someone else. Plenty of leadership on team USA.
I don't think anybody is questioning Parise, I think he was referring to Johnson.

Anybody who thinks Parise shouldn't be on the US team is smoking some really special stuff.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I don't think anybody is questioning Parise, I think he was referring to Johnson.

Anybody who thinks Parise shouldn't be on the US team is smoking some really special stuff.
Absolutely! Parise is a heart and sole guy that has to be there. A little doubtful that Kesler can recover from his injuries, more specifically recover to previous form in time to be the 1st line center in Sochi, even though it is a year away. I'm really hoping for another Canada-USA final, but it's a crap shoot these 1 game elimination tournaments. Could be a Canada-Russia final (unlikely) or a Sweden-Canada final (probable) or a Sweden-USA final. (the most likely scenario) I've been predicting a USA-Sweden final for about 2 years now. I still don't think people are listening. )))

Old
02-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I would like to see this team on an NHL sized rink, we really aren't made for the big rink.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Absolutely! Parise is a heart and sole guy that has to be there. A little doubtful that Kesler can recover from his injuries, more specifically recover to previous form in time to be the 1st line center in Sochi, even though it is a year away. I'm really hoping for another Canada-USA final, but it's a crap shoot these 1 game elimination tournaments. Could be a Canada-Russia final (unlikely) or a Sweden-Canada final (probable) or a Sweden-USA final. (the most likely scenario) I've been predicting a USA-Sweden final for about 2 years now. I still don't think people are listening. )))
Unless something is structurally wrong with Kesler after surgery I'd have to think he's healthy by next season. Of course that presumes he doesn't try to rush his comeback again and reinjure something.

I think Canada, Russia, Sweden and the US will all have legitimate gold medal aspirations. I just hope that we get a World Cup after this tournament so that we don't have to wait four years for top level international hockey!

Old
02-07-2013, 10:07 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
I really like this lineup. The only changes I might make are Faulk for Bogosian and I'd probably consider that second line the third line and vice versa.
Yeah. I went back and forth between Carlson, Fowler, Faulk and Bogosian for that spot. Anyone of them could be in Sochi.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

After looking at this list...Good lord I am excited to see this team.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Fleury4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
I would like to see this team on an NHL sized rink, we really aren't made for the big rink.
NHL sized rink is a guaranteed win for Canada, USA has a better shot on the larger surface where the plethora of good skating, two-way, players can make up for some lack of size and skill.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury4ever View Post
NHL sized rink is a guaranteed win for Canada, USA has a better shot on the larger surface where the plethora of good skating, two-way, players can make up for some lack of size and skill.
I would disagree, the bigger ice surface allows skilled players to have more room to do their magic and Canada has by far the most elite offensively skilled players in the tournament. The tighter the play the better our team would perform IMO

Old
02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
bsmith14

Ryan - Parise - Kane
Kessel - Pavelski - Pacioretty
Callahan - Backes - Brown
Oshie - Kesler - Pominville
Stastny

Yandle - Suter
McDonagh - J.Johnson
Shattenkirk - Orpik
Bogosian

Quick
Miller
Howard

Old
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
I'd take Pominville over Oshie or JVR. Team USA has enough 2-way wingers, can't leave off probably the best passer on the team.

Not necessarily a "young" team, but not a ton of grizzled vets, like Langenbrunner. Who is captain material out of the bunch? Brown, Backes, Callahan only NHL captains.
If JJ makes the team, he should be the captain. He's not the best player on the team by any measure...but nobody bleeds red white and blue quite like he does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
He should absolutely be on this team, especially since our centerman are primarily trigger guys. He basically can become the big setup guy on the third line. He doesn't bump Kane or Kessel from the top six though on the right side.
Pommer is a very versatile player--he can be a finisher or a playmaker, or take a more checking role. Plays in all situations. About the only thing he's not good for is physical play, but on the bigger ice surface and with no shortage of truculence among the US forward ranks, that won't be a problem.

Team USA could make a damn good checking line. Between Kesler, Callahan, Backes, Brown, and Pominville...that's some pretty nice options to put together.

Closed Thread